Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Arcade Fire: Signs of Life new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dx4IAD1NLo

The sound is fun, the lyrics are cringe. Not feeling the new direction overall, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lol bangalter turned arcade fire into abba and the beegees and im lovin it

Edit: it reminds me of all of belle and sebastians attempts to become a white as fuuuuck disco funk band and I inexplicably love that stuff so ymmv

Edit: Even without the Steve Mackey/Pulp connection the song also sounds like a latter day Jarvis Cocker/Pulp song, including the lyrics.

Sorta like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDGZKYMgOQA

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 30, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Princeps32 posted:

The sound is fun, the lyrics are cringe. Not feeling the new direction overall, unfortunately.

I think I am really going to like this album. I have liked all three singles, and this one is super groovy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Good thing we shamed them into making a shorter album right when they decided to be fun and dancey again [/sarcasm]

Edit: Also welcome AF to the club of loving assholes who put police sirens in their songs so you freak out when you're driving to it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 30, 2017

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Washed Out did the sirens too in his new one which is made to be hosed up while listening.. what a meanie.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think it's safe to assume by now that everyone who does this is doing it on purpose

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've liked all 3 of these AF songs! Gonna be a good album :h:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I have been really enjoying Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever's new EP, French Press — busy jangle rock with a weary Australian twang. I just keep coming back to it.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

DasNeonLicht posted:

I have been really enjoying Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever's new EP, French Press — busy jangle rock with a weary Australian twang. I just keep coming back to it.

Yes I also recommend this strongly, it's very good. ThatsMyBoye turned me onto them and I am grateful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just found out that Checking Out of a Collapsing Space is going to be on The National's new album (renamed "Walk It Back") and I am hyyyype, that's one of the best songs they've made in years.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hedrigall posted:

I've liked all 3 of these AF songs! Gonna be a good album :h:

Two of them were quite good and distinctive. "Signs of Life," though, seemed like a club dance cover of an Arcade Fire song. The lyrics were typically sharp but everything else... it sounds mostly the same all the way through, never peaks or slows, ends on the same irritating handclap-beat, blech. e: the video was also good but that doesn't really count.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 1, 2017

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yes I also recommend this strongly, it's very good. ThatsMyBoye turned me onto them and I am grateful.

:unsmith:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Yeah this album is so cool. I love the title track so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZXzmM1smM

Hearing this makes you think how much of a profound influence matt tong had on bloc party.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Princeps32 posted:

Yeah this is actually really rad, gently caress all y'all who don't like it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

thehoodie posted:

Yeah this is actually really rad, gently caress all y'all who don't like it

Really makes me wonder wtf the next daft punk album will sound like. Theres some neat stuff going on the the background of all these.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Really makes me wonder wtf the next daft punk album will sound like. Theres some neat stuff going on the the background of all these.
I certainly hope it's more enjoyable to listen to than the last few AF singles :ohdear:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
A Giant Dog is touring and you need to loving see them now. This was my 2nd time seeing them and it was just loving great. The band is great, Sabrina is an awesome front woman. Britt Daniels fucks w em if you're a Spoon fan.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKUTo6xc00

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
is anyone talking about the new broken social scene record yet? seems to be a nice compromise between the cleaner production of their last album and the "gently caress it just throw another guitar into the mix" philosophy from their earlier stuff. even the sparser tracks are fairly dense. no song ever really gets as loose as i'd like it to, but i'm just so happy to have them back as a collective that i haven't really given it too much of a critical listen yet.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I enjoyed the poo poo out of my first two listens on NPR yesterday, but yeah, I still need to give it time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sugar Blaster posted:

is anyone talking about the new broken social scene record yet? seems to be a nice compromise between the cleaner production of their last album and the "gently caress it just throw another guitar into the mix" philosophy from their earlier stuff. even the sparser tracks are fairly dense. no song ever really gets as loose as i'd like it to, but i'm just so happy to have them back as a collective that i haven't really given it too much of a critical listen yet.
I think it has some good ideas here and there, but the good ideas aren't drawn out enough and there's a lot of filler on the album, which is more or less the same issue I had with Forgiveness Rock Record. In my mind, the self-titled remains their last really strong album.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This new Matthew Dear song is good imo.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/29/534741854/songs-we-love-matthew-dear-modafinil-blues

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Really into this. It's been way too long since Beams.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I honestly hate poo poo like this. Yeah it's a Coldplay song, but this "oh ho we're so above the material" ironic posturing from some dweebie indie group is somehow even more aggravating. If you're covering a song, cover it in earnest and showcase your ability to make the song meaningful to you. A good performer can take even the shallowest source material and make something noteworthy of it.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

exquisite tea posted:

I honestly hate poo poo like this. Yeah it's a Coldplay song, but this "oh ho we're so above the material" ironic posturing from some dweebie indie group is somehow even more aggravating. If you're covering a song, cover it in earnest and showcase your ability to make the song meaningful to you. A good performer can take even the shallowest source material and make something noteworthy of it.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqCPrDRXm4

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Musical notes are a dwindling resource and wasting them on silly covers instead of putting your heart and soul into an afternoon stopover in the Onion AV office is a crime that shall not go unpunished

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This is the greatest cover of all time btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PL-yYWISOM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Musical notes are a dwindling resource and wasting them on silly covers instead of putting your heart and soul into an afternoon stopover in the Onion AV office is a crime that shall not go unpunished

:yeah:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i thought both of those covers were just ok and neither one of them needed to last more than 40 seconds really

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really agree that a cover needs to be in earnest, but for my money if you're going to gently caress it up on purpose at least put some effort and imagination into it. Reggie Watts' version of Panama, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetZZLmmEw8

The Cloud Nothings cover just seems lazy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As far as AV undercover goes I liked this one and a few others I can't remember right now. I appreciate the format though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjm3UmsQ-m4

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Opinions you see, they are like assholes... they take big smelly shits.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Screaming Females doing Shake it Off was also pretty drat good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

T Bowl posted:

Opinions you see, they are like assholes... they take big smelly shits.

And much like assholes opinions on opinions are a goon only thing that you have to pay Brazilians to care about

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't really agree that a cover needs to be in earnest, but for my money if you're going to gently caress it up on purpose at least put some effort and imagination into it. Reggie Watts' version of Panama, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetZZLmmEw8

The Cloud Nothings cover just seems lazy.

I, on the other hand, hate it when people cover Van Halen songs, because it carries with it the presumption that the listener is familiar with Van Halen songs, which he is not.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
This is the best AV Club Undercover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLnfFUZNkww

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I, on the other hand, hate it when people cover Van Halen songs, because it carries with it the presumption that the listener is familiar with Van Halen songs, which he is not.

But you are considerably more knowledgeable about Panama now, aren't you?

e: honestly the only connection between the original and the Reggie Watts cover is the word "Panama", and the melody he occasionally sings that single word to

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 6, 2017

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Screaming Females doing Shake it Off was also pretty drat good

Agreed, I also liked Grouplove doing Party Hard in Andrew WK cosplay

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The Crowded House cover is the best because I say it is the best because only my opinion matters because the other opinions are diarrhea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I still like and listen to Calexico's version of Danger Zone.