Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Giving directions in time rather than physical distance is the norm pretty much everywhere and I'm not sure why so many people think that's unique to their area (or to themselves, even).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's a Michigan left?

You can't make a left turn because it's forbidden by the intersection design, so you go past the road you want a few hundred feet and make a u-turn, then come back the other direction and now you're making a right turn.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Belpit posted:

Giving directions in time rather than physical distance is the norm pretty much everywhere and I'm not sure why so many people think that's unique to their area (or to themselves, even).
I don't think I've heard directions given in time in Latvia.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's a Michigan left?

It's a U-Turn built into the median. I think I've seen them in Florida as well.

Mr. Belpit posted:

A lot of these are just general Midwestern things (pop not soda) or something everyone complains about as if it's unique (construction all the time, although Michigan roads are pretty loving horrible).

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Jun 30, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mr. Belpit posted:

I've had distances described to me in money in Russia.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's a Michigan left?

about 1/20th of a pie chart apparently.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've had distances described to me in money in Russia.

Fuel? Tolls? Bribes?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I was trawling through freep for the freep thread and feel into a deep dark rightwing rabbit hole. At the very bottom of this hole I found a shining artifact, a cube.

But it is no any cube. I remember having seen it before, but can't remember if it was here. In any case, I have to share this cube,

the CW2 cube.

http://i.imgur.com/vIU8HBe.jpg

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Fuel? Tolls? Bribes?

All of the above

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

I was trawling through freep for the freep thread and feel into a deep dark rightwing rabbit hole. At the very bottom of this hole I found a shining artifact, a cube.

But it is no any cube. I remember having seen it before, but can't remember if it was here. In any case, I have to share this cube,

the CW2 cube.

http://i.imgur.com/vIU8HBe.jpg

Boy D&D character generation got weird. And racist.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Mr. Belpit posted:

Nope, not the norm unless you're talking about "a minute" or "a few minutes". Otherwise it's gonna be x # of blocks if you're in a city or however many miles if you're on a highway. Who the gently caress says follow I-5 for 6hrs then take exit whatever?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inspector 34 posted:

Nope, not the norm unless you're talking about "a minute" or "a few minutes". Otherwise it's gonna be x # of blocks if you're in a city or however many miles if you're on a highway. Who the gently caress says follow I-5 for 6hrs then take exit whatever?

No one, because nothing of interest along I‐5 is six hours from anything else of interest.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I want to apologize, I did not mean to come off like an rear end in a top hat with that post, what I meant was that in my experience at least, most people do not use time in giving directions because there are way too many variables that can affect your trip. Maybe traffic is hosed or you drive like a maniac or something. Most people say take the 3rd right or the 1st left or take freeway whatever until the proper exit. If anybody ever gave me directions in terms of time I'd probably ask them to be more specific.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Inspector 34 posted:

I want to apologize, I did not mean to come off like an rear end in a top hat with that post, what I meant was that in my experience at least, most people do not use time in giving directions because there are way too many variables that can affect your trip. Maybe traffic is hosed or you drive like a maniac or something. Most people say take the 3rd right or the 1st left or take freeway whatever until the proper exit. If anybody ever gave me directions in terms of time I'd probably ask them to be more specific.

See, it's weird, because you should be right, re: the variables that affect the time, but I use it as a general "close enough" figure. I tend to use the "time as distance" descriptor when I'm talking about a place the other person hasn't been to and/or can't picture. For ex. My boyfriend used to live 2 hours down the turnpike (there were maybe 2 times I got stuck in bad traffic and it was closer to 3 hours, but the other uncounted times I visited him it clocked in at 2 hours almost on the dot seemingly no matter how fast or slow I drove), or my sister goes to school an hour south of Buffalo, it's about a 7 hour drive from here.

I don't use it to give directions to another person, but it's a ballpark figure of how long a trip to go see/visit who/whatever would take.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ranbo das posted:

Boy D&D character generation got weird. And racist.

It was always racist... :ssh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It was always racist... :ssh:

Sexist too. 1st ed D&D female characters had a lower strength cap than males. Just because.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey, the drow have some good ones, totally not racist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

#NotAllDrow

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

There's one good one, and you know he's good because he's supernaturally racist against orcs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's one good one, and you know he's good because he's supernaturally racist against orcs.
drat this is very spicy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cinci zoo sniper posted:

drat this is very spicy.

I am known as Absurd with the Hot Takes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am known as Absurd with the Hot Takes.

You explore new viewpoints. As an explorer I dub you Absurd Ibn Battuta.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sexist too. 1st ed D&D female characters had a lower strength cap than males. Just because.
What could they possibly have been thinking?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Am I misreading your lovely graph or does it imply that (some) female athletes aren't actually female?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Just that the "elite female athlete" sample pool is different from the general female pool, rather than a subset of it.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

But it's not a subset, otherwise the strongest female athlete and strongest female would be the same value.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Praseodymi posted:

But it's not a subset, otherwise the strongest female athlete and strongest female would be the same value.

Strudel Man posted:

Just that the "elite female athlete" sample pool is different from the general female pool, rather than a subset of it.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Misread your post, sorry.

Doesn't make your graph any more relevant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strudel Man posted:

I always knew jerking off was valuable exercise.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

hand-grip forces of young adult men

:thunk:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know if my fantasy game about wizards fighting werebears needs to have the scientific literature in hand grip represented in one of the major game mechanics.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dienes posted:

I don't know if my fantasy game about wizards fighting werebears needs to have the scientific literature in hand grip represented in one of the major game mechanics.

+5 to jerking off against orcs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Female characters having the same stats is cool ⁊ good game mechanics, but I don’t know that “female characters have a lower strength cap” is the strongest example of sexism.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
From a game mechanics perspective, I think a balanced diversity of choices is actually better than just "everyone's the same." :shrug: IIRC, female characters got -1 strength and +1 constitution compared to male.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strudel Man posted:

From a game mechanics perspective, I think a balanced diversity of choices is actually better than just "everyone's the same." :shrug: IIRC, female characters got -1 strength and +1 constitution compared to male.
We get it, you hate women, trying to pretend you don't won't do anything at this point.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Strudel Man posted:

for a lot of people, it may seem like you're a huge dumbass. but really, you are expanding the myriad tapestry of human experiences. wouldn't it be boring if everybody wasn't a huge dumbass?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's very important to me that my fantasy game about killing imaginary creatures in an imaginary world accurately represents that men have a higher maximum hand-grip force than women. Anything else would ruin my immersion.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strudel Man posted:

hm yes I'm sure that's what you were concerned about when you posted that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vyelkin posted:

It's very important to me that my fantasy game about killing imaginary creatures in an imaginary world accurately represents that men have a higher maximum hand-grip force than women. Anything else would ruin my immersion.

What was that boardgame with some rectal diceroll thing again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What was that boardgame with some rectal diceroll thing again?

FATAL