Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its not silent hill without a modicum of ever shifting blur imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

discworld is all I read posted:

I don't know if it's really an option, but personally neither of those options look great. I thought that comparatively the PC version just looked better:

But I've never been a fan of noise filters, bloom, or whatever other effects they wanted to add. So take that how you will.
Is the one on the left a JJ Abrams joke or is that literally how the game looks

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the one on the left a JJ Abrams joke or is that literally how the game looks
That cutscene has a pretty massive lens flare effect going on for some reason, yeah. I'm not a fan, even though I generally like the post-processing effects in these super hosed up otherworld sections.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having trouble with lpix.org? I'm getting an NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID error when I try to load it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with lpix.org? I'm getting an NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID error when I try to load it.

Security certificate seems to have expired.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Should be fixed now. Sorry about that, I had a calendar event in to renew the certs back at the start of the month but it didn't have an actual popup set so I completely forgot.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Alright, so here's an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

quote:

So, Morrowind is one of my favorite games, and there have been a few threads about it here every now and again. Most of them have at least made an attempt to play the game the way it was "intended" to be played, not exploiting any major bugs or balance oversights or anything.

But that's not my Morrowind.

In my Morrowind, I'm an immortal, sociopathic god-king who leaps across the land like Michael Jordan in Space Jam, brewing potions that make me basically invincible and let me cast unbelievably powerful spells, and trapping the souls of powerful daedra so I can use them to make enchanted skirts. Though for the most part, I just steal poo poo.

So I'm going to be doing my own playthrough of Morrowind, and I'm going to be doing things my way, doing my best to break things apart and accumulate as much wealth and power as possible. But in the interest of fairness (and making the game interesting to watch for more than ten minutes), I won't be using every bug available to me. There are ways to permanently buff your stats into the tens of thousands, or to make potions that do the same thing for several in-game years, but in the interest of keeping things sporting, I won't be doing either of those. But don't you worry, I will be making some overpowered potions later. Just reasonably so. Mostly.

Also, I'll be playing completely unpatched, so if you happen to be playing along with a megamod pack, you might notice some discrepancies. (For one, the orcs in Ghorak Manor might beat the poo poo out of you if you try stealing from them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYgNPtHemM
Let's Break Morrowind 01 - This Is A Journey Into Money

In this first episode, I'm mostly just stealing things, just to build up a nice little financial base off of which to springboard my future efforts. But you can see several tricks of the trade I'll be using to steal things in the future, as well as where we'll be fencing off all of those stolen goods.
First of all, does the video look alright? This is the first thing I've produced with Adobe Premiere, and after an embarrassing bit of heavily-interlaced struggling, I finally found the H.264 rendering option. Unmodded Morrowind doesn't allow for any different aspect ratios, so I can't really make it any wider.

And second, would anybody else be interested if I were to try posting this as part of a "Let's Break" megathread? There are a lot of games that could be abused in amusing ways, even if they aren't worthy of a full playthrough. Things like the Navarro run in Fallout 2, or sequence breaking in GTA Vice City, or anything like the anti-playthroughs on this page. Except the Morrowind one. That one being so terrible is part of what inspired me to do this.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I would love a "Let's Break" megathread. Also Breaking Morrowind sounds fun and something I can follow along with (since my lovely computer can play Morrowind) so I can't wait to see more.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

First of all, does the video look alright? This is the first thing I've produced with Adobe Premiere, and after an embarrassing bit of heavily-interlaced struggling, I finally found the H.264 rendering option. Unmodded Morrowind doesn't allow for any different aspect ratios, so I can't really make it any wider.

And second, would anybody else be interested if I were to try posting this as part of a "Let's Break" megathread? There are a lot of games that could be abused in amusing ways, even if they aren't worthy of a full playthrough. Things like the Navarro run in Fallout 2, or sequence breaking in GTA Vice City, or anything like the anti-playthroughs on this page. Except the Morrowind one. That one being so terrible is part of what inspired me to do this.

I liked the video. Good casual tone and I love the concept, would definitely be interested in seeing someone break Morrowind in half. You might consider dropping the game volume just a touch, it's occasionally hard to hear you over it (for example, the item noises around 17:40). Apart from that though it looks good to me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been thinking of doing a screenshot LP of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, since it isn't on the archive yet despite a few attempts.

Intro post: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147725
First update: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147726
Example update: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147938

There's a few moments in the game that won't translate to screenshots all that well, and I'd like to use webms for those instead. For example, this moment from the first update:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/LiquidGiftedLamprey.webm
(The SSLP test poster doesn't embed them. I'm hoping it'll flow a little better in the actual updates.)

I prefer webms over gifs because they're usually smaller files and don't autoplay in most browsers. Since these moments are usually only a few seconds long, videos aren't worth the effort.

Edit: Shoot, looks like webms do autoplay? I know there's some videos you can embed that don't, e.g.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814221&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post470636935
Maybe it's a hosting thing.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As long as the webms aren't that long, autoplaying is no big deal.

I assume you checked if the webms can be hosted on lpix? I don't know what gfycat's retention rules are, but they're probably not as good as lpix's are.

Your first update looks good; I didn't bother to check the example update. My only critique is that, having personally done a lengthy RPG LP where all of my commentary was in italics, in retrospect I don't think it's really necessary -- all of the non-LPer text will be prefaced by a portrait, after all. So I'd say ditch the italics.

Good luck with the LP! Remember to announce it in the New LPs thread when it launches.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Last year I tried my hand at a LP that used webms exclusively instead of the standard gifs. Don't follow in my footsteps in that regard. While webms are much smaller and nicer, the fact that they autoplay and the fact that they're straight up embedded MP4 files means that having more than a couple on a page is gonna start crashing browsers.

There's a long explanation for why, but the takeaway is people aren't going to read a thread that crashes browsers. So I would either use them sparingly, directly link to them like this, or just use gifs instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The way SA embeds MP4s is weird since it was a temp hackjob that probably won't be fixed until we move to Xenforo.

It'll autoplay anything that comes from Imgur or Gfycat, but anywhere else that hosts MP4s will not autoplay. My advice is to avoid using those sites and use other MP4 hosts (the two I use regularly are Nya.is and Mixtape.moe) so that your MP4s won't autoplay. Hopefully after the forums move and we get proper MP4 support we'll have better solutions.

Also, it's not worth using WebM since it's just a less compatible form of MP4 anyway.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mega64 posted:

The way SA embeds MP4s is weird since it was a temp hackjob that probably won't be fixed until we move to Xenforo.

It'll autoplay anything that comes from Imgur or Gfycat, but anywhere else that hosts MP4s will not autoplay. My advice is to avoid using those sites and use other MP4 hosts (the two I use regularly are Nya.is and Mixtape.moe) so that your MP4s won't autoplay. Hopefully after the forums move and we get proper MP4 support we'll have better solutions.

Also, it's not worth using WebM since it's just a less compatible form of MP4 anyway.

That's disappointing. I forgot about longevity, so I might as well just use GIFs and host them on LPix. Thank you all!

Now I just have to make sure I can actually commit to doing the LP. :haw:

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Just wanted to chime in and say that the video was good, and the idea for a Morrowind breaking LP would be very welcome!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Edit: this is not the place, my apologies.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 24, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hello friends. I'm a terrible no-good deadbeat OP right now because I'm on the middle of moving and trying reeeeal hard to squeeze out another goblin thread update on my lovely spare computer set up on a desk made of a door and some crates. It's not going well and I feel super guilty about it.

Sorry X a million, I swear the project is still alive, sorry X a billion, etc. Liiiiiife...

wrong thread

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Is it? My bad, sorry.

Actual relevance: I also think that broken Morrowind LP sounds awesome

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
did the LP Zone burn out and die yet

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I have a new LP ready to go, with plenty of backlog to keep updates timely. Problem is it starts a little slow as my co-commentator and I work out some logistical issues involving stream lag. By the second session we've resolved the issues, but because of the nature of the LP (Blind + Live Commentary) redoing the beginning isn't really an option. Do I just make the thread with the first episode and hope for the best, or should I start with three episodes so people can see what the rest of the LP will be like from the start?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The only thing I notice is that you don't reduce the game audio when you're talking making it hard to hear you at points.

You might want to edit some of the excess save and load out as well.

Looks good though, I'm excited for it.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

The only thing I notice is that you don't reduce the game audio when you're talking making it hard to hear you at points.

You might want to edit some of the excess save and load out as well.

Looks good though, I'm excited for it.
Yeah, I'll definitely be turning the effects/audio down for the next episode. Which I had recorded, and then my hard drive gasped its final breath and left me with about a 5% of being able to recover my files. So... I'll keep that in mind when I get to that point again. Sorry to keep you all waiting.

Edit: But the new drive is a hybrid, so that should make saving and loading faster!

The Wu-Tang Secret fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 25, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

I have a new LP ready to go, with plenty of backlog to keep updates timely. Problem is it starts a little slow as my co-commentator and I work out some logistical issues involving stream lag. By the second session we've resolved the issues, but because of the nature of the LP (Blind + Live Commentary) redoing the beginning isn't really an option. Do I just make the thread with the first episode and hope for the best, or should I start with three episodes so people can see what the rest of the LP will be like from the start?

Without further info, I suggest you add the occassional line of post-commentary or subtitling to explain to the viewer what's going on and till what time in the video they can skip if they don't want to see you fiddling around with settings. Alternatively, you could just do a bit of editing, cutting the boring parts out entirely.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Without further info, I suggest you add the occassional line of post-commentary or subtitling to explain to the viewer what's going on and till what time in the video they can skip if they don't want to see you fiddling around with settings. Alternatively, you could just do a bit of editing, cutting the boring parts out entirely.

Oh it's nothing as bad as fiddling with setting on camera. Mostly just too much meta-commentary about the stream delay compared to actually commentary on the game. Probably I'm just being too much of a perfectionist. (I tend to do that.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYe0h5J4gg&t=2100s Like here where my partner is mostly silent and I'm flying solo because of stream delay. Probably I'm overthinking this and should :justpost:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Oh it's nothing as bad as fiddling with setting on camera. Mostly just too much meta-commentary about the stream delay compared to actually commentary on the game. Probably I'm just being too much of a perfectionist. (I tend to do that.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYe0h5J4gg&t=2100s Like here where my partner is mostly silent and I'm flying solo because of stream delay. Probably I'm overthinking this and should :justpost:

At the very least you might want to enable embedding of your videos. I had to click through to youtube and then to your timestamp manually because you turned off embeds.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've been thinking about this idea for a while now and I'd like to know if I can do this. I was thinking about making a thread that warns people when threads in the LP forums are going to be archived. There could be any number of reasons to prevent a thread from getting archived, such as someone needing a little reminder that they were working on something (especially when the OP locks the thread and because they don't have platinum they can't receive PMs to remind them).

Here is an example of how the thread would work:

--------------------------------------------------
Friday, June 30

--------------------------------------------------

What this means is that the next day, July 1st, is the day these threads are archived, so the last day for someone to post in any of those threads is June 30. And the warning thread will be updated with each post a different day up to at least a week, 2 weeks tops. I think that's enough time to warn people in advance. Also, I wasn't sure if I should include the name of the OP with each thread as there could be multiple contributors. What do you think?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
As a thread creator, that sounds like it would fall somewhere between pointless and actively annoying. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I can't think of a single instance where a thread of mine would fall into archives and I hadn't already abandoned it for one reason or another. I certainly wouldn't want people bumping a thread I had no intention of continuing, and if you regularly go 2 months without updating, then maybe you're not really in a position to be doing LPs right now?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It also sounds like an attempt to subvert the forum system and encourage bumping. The archive cutoff is not that strict; any remotely active thread will have no trouble staying out of the archives.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, I don't think it's really necessary. If it's been 2 months, it'll likely be bumped by the OP already if they really intend to continue it. And if they forget about a thread for that long, they probably had no intention of continuing it anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:same:

The onus should be on the OP of the thread to keep bumping it if they have additional content planned. For example, I've had to bump the Ace Combat 04 LP thread twice now since I've "finished" with it because I'm going to be coming back to it and finally doing the bonus video update for it once I get done with AC5.

We already have 7 stickied threads between the Sandcastle, Tech Support, the Request List, and the rest--8 if Fedule and/or Mega64 ever get around to posting the updated Subforum Rules thread. I think 9 is well past belaboring the point.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I'm thinking of making a Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker SSLP and have already made the first update - could people give any feedback? Are the images too big, for example?

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148122

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

I'm thinking of making a Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker SSLP and have already made the first update - could people give any feedback? Are the images too big, for example?

Ohh! I've been waiting for an SSLP of this! I had it on the Request List for like, a year, before I let it fall off.

Anyway, screen size looks fine to me, but things look a little fuzzy. I don't know how to remedy that, but I'm sure someone here can tell you.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
My thread fell into archives because I forgot LP had a shorter time window before archiving. Maybe we should all post about "2 months" more so people will learn through osmosis.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I will never forget. Once I tried to record Project Zero, but the girl I tried to photograph went straight through my camera, into my living room and wiped my data! 5 minutes later I got a phone call saying "2 Months..." Then two months later, my thread died. The entire OP was replaced with just 6 characters:

:gonk:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I went ahead and added it to the Q&A in the OP.

JordanKai posted:

: How long can a thread go without posts before it falls into the forum archives?

: Two months. If you intend to continue a LP you haven't updated in awhile, make sure to post before two months expire, even if to say something to the effect of "Sorry, I'll get back to this soon" so that it doesn't fall into the forum archives. Once a thread falls into the forum archives, it cannot be brought back out and you'll have to start a new thread over.

Let me know if you think it needs tweaking or whatever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epicmissingno posted:

The images are fine in size. They're clear and not too pixelated.

I do think your dialogue portraits are a bit large, though. I'd go with 75 x 75, or even 50 x 50. Also, the NPC portraits could use an indication of who we're talking to; "asterisk" must be the most prolific character in that game. What I'd suggest, and what I'm planning to do in an LP of Dragon Quest IX I have upcoming, is to grab sprite sheets from other DQ games (especially the DS remakes) for NPC characters and use NPC sprites for the character portraits for generic NPCs.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah outside of the * character portrait (either screenshot the npc or just type in the *) it looks fine to me

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Asterisk is fine with me. I've done LPs where I did portraits for every single NPC and it ate up so much time and drove me crazy enough that I almost abandoned the two LPs I put all that effort in.

You may want to come up with a better-looking generic portrait, but I do think it's a better time and sanity investment to just have a giant catch-all for general minor NPCs than to make portraits for every single NPC you encounter.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Commander Keene posted:

The images are fine in size. They're clear and not too pixelated.

I do think your dialogue portraits are a bit large, though. I'd go with 75 x 75, or even 50 x 50. Also, the NPC portraits could use an indication of who we're talking to; "asterisk" must be the most prolific character in that game. What I'd suggest, and what I'm planning to do in an LP of Dragon Quest IX I have upcoming, is to grab sprite sheets from other DQ games (especially the DS remakes) for NPC characters and use NPC sprites for the character portraits for generic NPCs.

Unfortunately there are no equivalent sprites for some of the character models in this game, most notably the blue-haired scouts. I will take the portrait size into account, though!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

yeah outside of the * character portrait (either screenshot the npc or just type in the *) it looks fine to me

I'm thinking that using the in-game model should be reserved for uniquely named characters who share their model with generic NPCs, like Black Jacques. It just feels wrong to me to have a unique character with the same portrait as a generic NPC. Also it might just be me but typing "*" for generic NPCs while having character portraits in the same conversation feels like it's harder to read since the indentation is different.

Thanks for the feedback, anyway. I'll probably try to find a better generic NPC portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

Images are blurry and weigh like a ton. Try resizing your raw images to 200% (or maybe 300%) using nearest neighbour instead of whatever you're doing now. I'm not sure if png will work if you do it properly, but right now they're 500kb each and should most definitely be jpgs instead.