Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The worst was how it was a line-for-line pilot reshoot, without considering that McHale is a completely different kind of personality from O'Dowd. How can anyone take him seriously cast as a nerdy schlub?

I don't know why Ayoade agreed to that, but I know he deeply regrets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brawnfire posted:

The worst was how it was a line-for-line pilot reshoot, without considering that McHale is a completely different kind of personality from O'Dowd. How can anyone take him seriously cast as a nerdy schlub?

Thanks to the internet I am now aware of the existence of "gymcells", incels (involuntary celibates AKA dudes who become hateful self-obsessed shells of a human being because of their indignation at not having supermodels jump on their dick with no effort on their part) who actually work out and are in good shape and are usually actually attractive but still have such broken brains and spiteful personalities that no woman will touch them. I could see him pulling off something like that in a cringe comedy way, just take Jeff's narcissism and take it that much further sans the redeeming qualities and you have a hot nerd who is still unfuckable and repulsive.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I'm watching it now. This is terrible.

I think I read that Ayoade had producer credits, so it was probably a money thing.

McHale is totally wrong for this part.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It reminds me of the time they tried to make a US version of Spaced.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It reminds me of the US Red Dwarf with hot Lister and girl Cat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

It reminds me of the US Red Dwarf with hot Lister and girl Cat.

Why have I watched all these? I hate myself so, so deeply in this moment.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
US Peepshow, which completely ditches the titular camera gimmick.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

NO! That's a joke, right? ohno

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brawnfire posted:

NO! That's a joke, right? ohno

It stars Leonard from The Big Bang Theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yredc3ayOE

I'm sure Britain makes tons of terrible pilots of American shows and we never hear of them, at least.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
ISTR that the first episode of the US Office was a lightly rewritten version of one of the UK scripts, so it may just be a quick "we have something to film" decision. But that's the only case I can recall working.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Arist posted:

It reminds me of the time they tried to make a US version of Spaced.

Wait WHAT?

Actually the cast seems fine. It's just directed like an american sitcom and loses all the charm of the original. Glad it didn't go anywhere.

hanales fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 1, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Maxwell Lord posted:

ISTR that the first episode of the US Office was a lightly rewritten version of one of the UK scripts, so it may just be a quick "we have something to film" decision. But that's the only case I can recall working.

The exception that proves the rule.

The entire first season pretty much covered the plot in the UK office, but after the pilot, they started writing dialog to match Steve Carrel rather than Ricky Gervais.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Yet O'Dowd is going to be in the Get Shorty series so maybe actors can be cast in multiple physical types?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Yet O'Dowd is going to be in the Get Shorty series so maybe actors can be cast in multiple physical types?

I don't think McHale is a good enough actor for that though. Winger was good because it was a fictionalized continuation of his Soup character.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Physical type is, like, a third of the objection to McHale as Roy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Glow is very good, though sometimes it seems like Alison Brie's struggling to break through that Annie Edison mold.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Danny Pudi would make a good Moss.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Glow is very good, though sometimes it seems like Alison Brie's struggling to break through that Annie Edison mold.
Really? The characters are super different to me. Also she's on Bojack. Seems like she's doing fine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't see it. Her character on GLOW is driven like Annie, but also goofy and at times a fuckup.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I don't see it. Her character on GLOW is driven like Annie, but also goofy and at times a fuckup.

Yeah, after just a bit, I'd say her GLOW character is much more Britta than Annie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So you mean just sitcoms? Because House of Cards was a British show first as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
GLOW is really a breakout for Brie- it's a tougher character than she's had before, because she does some awful things but still needs to be someone we ultimately like, and there are a lot of layers there. And on top of that there's just some great comedy work, including the one woman wrestling match in episode 6.

Like I expected her to be good but it's the best work I've seen from her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So you mean just sitcoms? Because House of Cards was a British show first as well.

Well in terms of British shows being remade in the US, there are a few other examples- Three's Company, Sanford and Son, at least one more from that period- but I was specifically talking about UK shows remade in the US that used slightly-rewritten versions of the UK scripts. The Office is the one show I can think of that started like that but lasted long enough to do its own thing.

There was a version of Coupling that somehow made it onto TV, but apparently was just the original scripts hacked together to fit a US commercial time slot. It was not well received.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well in terms of British shows being remade in the US, there are a few other examples- Three's Company, Sanford and Son, at least one more from that period-

All In The Family

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Just wait til the US version of Misfits comes out.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Just wait til the US version of Misfits comes out.

Preacher?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Brie is great in GLOW but I don't think she's as good as she was in Mad Men. She was totally different to Annie as Trudy and knowing that if her schedule had been less hectic she would've had a larger role is heart breaking.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Shameless is another one of those where the pilot was basically a shot for shot remake. I think the plot diverged a bit after the first season.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Shameless is another one of those where the pilot was basically a shot for shot remake. I think the plot diverged a bit after the first season.

More than a bit. For a small example, there's a couple of characters who are close friends in the original. In the US series, one runs the other over with a car and gives her permanent brain damage.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wasnt there meant to be a new season of Harmonquest starting this week?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Hedrigall posted:

Wasnt there meant to be a new season of Harmonquest starting this week?

Seeso sold Harmonquest so it's up in the air right now.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Seeso sold Harmonquest so it's up in the air right now.

I heard it's because seeso is dying.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
But... Harmonquest... :ohdear:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hanales posted:

I heard it's because seeso is dying.

In retrospect trying to build a subscription service around podcasters, a platform whose biggest appeal is that it's a ton of free poo poo you can listen to while you're working and where you download everything off of the internet, might not have been the best longterm business decision.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, they had a few good shows...

Awful model, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yet another Harmon show sabotaged by an online distributor that can't get its poo poo together.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
How much do paintballs cost!? Oh, Jesus.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

PostNouveau posted:

Yet another Harmon show sabotaged by an online distributor that can't get its poo poo together.

Sure, but at the same time, Rick and Morty is doing for Adult Swim what the Simpsons did for Fox and what South Park did for Comedy Central. And Adult Swim knows its future is in streaming.

Harmon's a good bet, TV wise, because he hasn't done a Studio 60 yet. He hasn't made (for someone else) something so vapid that only die-hards could like it. (Instead he sells that on his own through his podcast.)

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 30, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Of note: this thread, in a derail, introduced me to The Adventure Zone. I've gotta thank you guys for that. Campaign finale airs next week and I'm super excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Of note: this thread, in a derail, introduced me to The Adventure Zone. I've gotta thank you guys for that. Campaign finale airs next week and I'm super excited.

Oh yeah, this thread got me into it as well!
It's been so drat good. Can't wait for the finale.

• Locked thread