Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: My e-mail to send me any lists if you don't have PMs is Commuziq@gmail.com :siren:

:siren:Spreadsheet for BYOGM Picks :siren: <--- CHECK HERE FOR SALARY INFO.

Welcome back to Be Your Own GM, Basketball v.3! The last ones were done in 2015 and 2012 and were a good time for all involved. If you’re unfamiliar with these games, it's a forum game where you’re basically drafting your own NBA teams and being judged by your contemporaries on how good your team is to win this "season". This isn't fantasy basketball, although, if anybody wants to run the teams afterwards in a sim or 2K, you're more than welcome to.

If you’d like to go back and look at BYOGM: v.2 it’s right here, and BYOGM: v.1 all the way back in 2012 can be found over here.

This year's BYOBGM will be a little different. It's less time consuming AND will be more fun in my opinion. In the past, we did snake drafts. Andthose were cool, but the top picks did have an inherent advantage with picks and trades and that format can get a little stale after a while. This time, we’re going to be doing an AUCTION DRAFT. Every team will start off with $300 dollars and be bidding (or waiting) on a list of players each day for 20 days and will be buying your 15 roster spots. Will you splurge everything in the beginning or wait until the names you really want start to appear? Are you going to be a Frugal Hinkie or a Lavish Cuban? Please read the rules below to understand how it will work specifically.

(thanks to bishnykfan at RealGM for some of the rules!)

BUDGET/ROSTER

- Each team will get a budget of $300.
- Each team must "draft" 15 players.
- Each team must always have enough money remaining to finish a 15 man roster.
- Maximum bid for a player will always be amount of money remaining minus the amount of roster slots open, plus $1. For example, a maximum bid on day one will be $286 because each team needs to keep $14 available to fill out the roster with fourteen $1 players.
- All bids must be made using whole numbers only.
- No team can go over the $300 salary cap by winning a bid on an additional player(s) during the course of a day. Each teams budget will be updated daily on the team pages, but each GM is responsible for keeping track of their own budget.
- You cannot bid a total amount over the cap you have each day.
- You may waive players. They will re-enter the draft pool on the final two days but you will not get your money back.

DRAFT

- The draft will take place for 20 days.
- The draft will consist of 486 players.
- New players will be put up for auction on days #1-18. Leftover players will be put up on days 19 and 20 in order to fill out rosters.
- Days 19 and 20 will be used to to put players originally not selected, back on the auction block.
- Each day will have a random 27 players available on the auction block. Teams may bid on as many or as few players as they want as long as they don't exceed their remaining budget/can fill their roster.
- Every team must check in via PM at least every other day if they decide not to place a bid on any players in back to back days.
- Each day a list of players will be put up between 7 AM and 1 PM EST. Bidding is open as soon as the new list of players is put up and will remain open until 9 PM EST.
- Bidding is done via PM or e-mail (Commuziq@Gmail.com) to the commish (Deadbeat Dad). Highest legal bid at the time the auction ends each day will "win" that player. In the case of a tie for the highest bid, it will be randomed using random.org.
- Each GM will only be allowed to submit one bid per day. That official bid can be for as many players as that GM would like to sign but only the first submitted bid will be accepted.
- If you go over budget with a winning bid, the bid becomes invalid.

TRADES

- Trades are allowed.
- You may trade cash for players, but only the exact amount of cash previously paid for that player.
- Each trade must be made following the 125%+$1 rule. For example, if you bought player A for $25, the max amount of salary you can receive back in a trade following the 125%+$1 rule, is $32. This is done in order to keep trades as fair as possible.
- Teams are allowed to make lopsided trades, i.e. 2 players for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 2, etc trades as long as the 125%+$1 rule is followed.
- Teams can not go over the salary cap when acquiring players in a trade.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Teams (30/30)

IcePhoenix (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $300
Max Bid - $286

BWV (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

EvanTH

Team Salary Remaining - $119
Max Bid - $109

1. Myles Turner - $87
2. Andre Drummond - $55
3. Thaddeus Young - $29
4. Chinanu Onuaku - $10
5. Patricio Garino - $2

Metapod (PMs: No)

Max Bid - $286

ScooterMcTiny (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

leftist heap (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

euphronius (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Panzeh (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $269
Max Bid - $255

1. Julius Randle - $31

Cool Buff Man (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $265
Max Bid - $252

1. Dewayne Dedmon - $20
2. Rudy Gay - $15

DC Murderverse (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

The B_36 (PMs: No, email: theburke36 @ gmail)

Team Salary Remaining - $210
Max Bid - $196

1. Blake Griffin - $90

Carlosologist (PMs: soon)

Team Salary Remaining - $205
Max Bid - $193

1. Ricky Rubio - $45
2. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - $35
3. Allen Crabbe - $15

homphgomph (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Punkin Spunkin (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

xbilkis (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

G-Hawk (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

DeimosRising (PMs: No, email: g.dearien @ gmail)

Max Bid - $286

Paul Zuvella (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $299
Max Bid - $285

1. Johnny O'Bryant - $1

Rick (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

ButtWolf (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Brogeoisie (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Doltos (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $270
Max Bid - $256

1. Jeremy Lin - $30

Michael Corleone (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $275
Max Bid - $261

1. Joe Ingles - $25

alansmithee (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Dejan Bimble (PMs: Yes)

Team Salary Remaining - $240
Max Bid - $226

1. JaMychal Green - $45
2. Josh Hart - $15

Akbar (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

tanglewood1420 (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Mountain Dew Code Bread (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

straight up brolic (PMs: Yes)

Max Bid - $286

Drunk Canuck

Team Salary Remaining - $203
Max Bid - $198

1. Delon Wright - $20
2. Zach Collins - $18
3. Brandon Knight - $15
4. D.J. Wilson - $10
5. Nik Stauskas - $10
6. Demetrius Jackson - $10
7. Briante Weber - $4
8. Udonis Haslem - $4
9. Raul Neto - $4
10. Thomas Bryant - $2

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 6, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I love doing these and would like to do so again

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I hosed up not adding a title but it's okay.

Also if you're signing up, please pick an NBA team you'd like to represent as well as if you have PM's or not. If not, include your email please.

I'll take the Timberwolves and I do have PM's

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 30, 2017

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I hosed up not adding a title but it's okay.

Also if you're signing up, please pick an NBA team you'd like to represent as well as if you have PM's or not. If not, include your email please.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm currently studying for the bar, so I unfortunately don't have time to do this :( but I am going to keep a close eye on it.

These are a ton of fun and if you haven't done one you should.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm down. Last time I got some sweet players like CJ Miles, Blake Griffin, Joakim Noah, and Mike Connely. I am PMs and I would like the Raptors to represent me because they've disappointed me forever and I'd like to return the favour.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'M IN I woulda had the best team last time if I didn't waste an early pick on Popovich forcing me to take Sullinger as PF

Kawhi Leonard
Tony Snell
Norman Powell
Giuseppe Nurkiccio
Alan Williams

almost everyone I picked improved

I got PMs yeah

would it be presumptuous to take the team name TNT KaTropa?

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 30, 2017

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

EvanTH posted:

would it be presumptuous to take the team name TNT KaTropa?

For the sake of signups I need you to pick an NBA team but afterwards you can do whatever!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
So this is a silent auction? Am I reading this right?

E: in and okc obviously

Metapod fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 30, 2017

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I'm so in. Indiana Pacers for me please.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Metapod posted:

So this is a silent auction? Am I reading this right?

Every day there will be a list of 27 random players available, every team will send me a message on the players they would want to put a bid down for out of that list (you can choose to not bid on anybody, but can't do that two days in a row). So say it's LeBron and you want to pay $170 for LeBron, you message me that. If you're the highest bid, you get him. But now you only have $130 left for the 14 other spots.

Whoever pays the most for the player they wants gets them. It'll be announced in the thread who got what player.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Every day there will be a list of 27 random players available, every team will send me a message on the players they would want to put a bid down for out of that list. So say it's LeBron and you want to pay $170 for LeBron, you message me that. If you're the highest bid, you get him. But now you only have $130 left for the 14 other spots.

Whoever pays the most for the player they wants gets them. It'll be announced in the thread who got what player.

tl;dr - Yes

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

tl;dr - Yes

:discourse:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Deadbeat Dad posted:

For the sake of signups I need you to pick an NBA team but afterwards you can do whatever!

okay gimme the B-town Nests

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm in and I will represent the Vancouver Grizzlies

e: I have PMs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm down

Sixers

I have pms

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd be down for taking the bucks and I have PMs

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Me Celtics Me PMs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Me Celtics Me PMs

Plz hoard all your cash and then create a second account to post about how no one will bite on your awesome trade offers.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

Plz hoard all your cash and then create a second account to post about how no one will bite on your awesome trade offers.

Don't worry, I fully plan on being the best GM in the league.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I want to do this, but since the team I'd normally pick is already gone I'll just take whoever the last team chosen is. And I do have PMs.

(so probably the kings)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to do this. I have PM. Ill take Den.
Maybe I cant read Question: if highest bid for a player is @ 155 and i end up bidding 190, do I get player for 156 or 190? Its the latter Im sure.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ButtWolf posted:

I would like to do this. I have PM. Ill take Den.
Maybe I cant read Question: if highest bid for a player is @ 155 and i end up bidding 190, do I get player for 156 or 190? Its the latter Im sure.

I think the latter because that's sorta how Free Agency works. Can't take back an offer to a player because you hear someone else is offering less, wouldn't be fair to them as an imaginary person

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
also cheating is allowed if you don't get caught

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Yeah it'll be how much the highest bid was, which is part of what makes it fun since people may over or under pay a lot of dudes.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Figured, just clarifying. Cant wait to overpay on Kristaps.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to pay $286 for ricky rubio

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I'm definitely down for this, I'll take the Kings before WhyteRyce does (I'll trade it for a 2021 2nd rounder). I was the lucky one who got the top pick in the 2015 edition and obviously picked Lebron, but I also got Tim Duncan when everyone figured he was toast (he wasn't), JJ Redick, and most impressively, I snatched Hassan Whiteside with my last pick to fill in the bench, but I secretly KNEW he would turn into a defensive monster. Think I had Deandre Jordan as well. drat, my old team was so good...

Wouldn't it be more interesting if the bids were public as they were happening? Create a bidding war like real life. Just a suggestion tho, I'm good either way.

Edit: Oh, no PM's, email: theburke36 at gmail.com

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 1, 2017

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
19 spots left!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm interested, I guess I'll take a crack at running the Hornets; I'll probably buy PMs tonight

I'll run the league through a sim in 2K once all the rosters are out and we can follow it through the rest of the offseason

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Yeah screw it, this sounds cool. I'll take the Pelicans and I do have PMs

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Never played but this does sound fun. I've got PMs and I'll rep the Spurs
Someone has to be drunken RC Buford

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I will sign up as the famously well managed Chicago Bulls. I got pms

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

this sounds cool. i'll guide the heroic houston rockets to victory

i can pm

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Not doing it this time because I got surgery coming up but are you sure this dead forum's dead software can handle 30 teams pming you every day for a bunch of players every day? I thought the pm limit was pretty low, you might want to think about setting up a google 'poll' or something else to handle bids in case the pm blows up

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Not doing it this time because I got surgery coming up but are you sure this dead forum's dead software can handle 30 teams pming you every day for a bunch of players every day? I thought the pm limit was pretty low, you might want to think about setting up a google 'poll' or something else to handle bids in case the pm blows up

Is that a new thing? I've never had an issue running these sort of games/mafia games that needed a number of PMs throughout the day. If it is new issue I'll find an alternative way to do it, though!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'll do it, Deadbeat if you aren't doing the Magic I will but otherwise I'll take, uh, the...team before DC's team I guess

No pms i lost them due to enthnocentric persecution but my gmail address is available and it's g.dearien

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DeimosRising posted:

I'll do it, Deadbeat if you aren't doing the Magic I will but otherwise I'll take, uh, the...team before DC's team I guess

Sure take it, I can't sign up for this anyway since somebody has to handle the auction stuff.

:siren: TEAMS LEFT :siren:

New York Knicks
Atlanta Hawks
Miami Heat
Cleveland Cavaliers
Detroit Pistons
Utah Jazz
Portland Trailblazers
Golden State Warriors
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 2, 2017