Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Right, adding that to search query floods results with "anal circumference potential" table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

vyelkin posted:

It's very important to me that my fantasy game about killing imaginary creatures in an imaginary world accurately represents that men have a higher maximum hand-grip force than women. Anything else would ruin my immersion.
Well, no, it's not particularly necessary for a fantasy game to model real-world differences. It just seems a bit silly to say that doing so constitutes sexism, particularly if it's done in a way that matches penalties with bonuses for overall mechanical parity.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I still hold that d100% chance is the most asinine thing I've heard of from that game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Is that a thing where you roll to see what you have to roll, giving you effectively the same odds as a coin flip? I vaguely recall hearing about something like that.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Female characters having the same stats is cool ⁊ good game mechanics, but I don’t know that “female characters have a lower strength cap” is the strongest example of sexism.

I don't know what ⁊ means.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

lol, like anyone isn't familiar with notae Tironianae.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

WrenP-Complete posted:

It means “and”.

It’s like an ampersand but more obscure and therefore ironic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
most people want to play as their own gender, telling them if they do they must have these scientifically accurate differences in a game where you'll be doing things impossible for humans to do anyway even without magic is just lovely, hth.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It means “and”.

Oh, like in formal logic. Got it. Thanks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hemingway To Go! posted:

most people want to play as their own gender, telling them if they do they must have these scientifically accurate differences in a game where you'll be doing things impossible for humans to do anyway even without magic is just lovely, hth.

Fantasy is also, you know, fantasy so if somebody wants to play a Red Sonja that can punch a train in half then like...go for it. Who cares?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think this graph is appropriate for the subject at hand. It's so hot that looking at it for too long will damage your vision.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You'll get more than 3.3 tax when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

It means “and”.

It looks a lot like the Arabic numeral ٦ = 6, so I got confused.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

get that OUT of my face posted:

I think this graph is appropriate for the subject at hand. It's so hot that looking at it for too long will damage your vision.

lmao women making up the majority of the electorate makes it "not fair" ughhh FEMALES!!!! electing DEMOCRATS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Women make up the majority of the electorate. Therefore Obama was the women's fault.... Therefore by definition Trump is also women's fault!?!? Thanks misandry!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Outrail posted:

Women make up the majority of the electorate. Therefore Obama was the women's fault.... Therefore by definition Trump is also women's fault!?!? Thanks misandry!

You don't even have to start it there, Reagan was elected in 1981, one year after the matriarchy took over the country.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Goddamn women, first they steal our jobs and now they steal our tax money :argh:

Also fixed stat bonuses for races/genders is a terrible mechanic because it actually forces you into the intended race/class combinations unless you want to have a permanent handicap on your character. Thus it only breeds uniformity.
:goonsay:

sweeperbravo posted:

lmao women making up the majority of the electorate makes it "not fair" ughhh FEMALES!!!! electing DEMOCRATS

Well duh, Democracy is only fair when I'm part of the majority. Else it's oppressive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Female characters having the same stats is cool ⁊ good game mechanics, but I don’t know that “female characters have a lower strength cap” is the strongest example of sexism.

How about :

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
tired of all of these nerds in the 110 page forum thread about making fun of graphs. are we not all jocks, here?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Well, no, it's not particularly necessary for a fantasy game to model real-world differences. It just seems a bit silly to say that doing so constitutes sexism, particularly if it's done in a way that matches penalties with bonuses for overall mechanical parity.

Actually I'm going to display my extreme nerdiness by pointing out that in (most? idk my D&D knowledge is severely out of date) D&D a single point of strength at the highest level for humans makes a huge difference because 18 is the highest you can ordinarily get by rolling dice for a human character, and when you actually hit 18 you roll a second die out of 100 and use the second number to add additional bonuses. So you get 18/01 up to 18/100 with higher numbers giving significantly higher bonuses. If you simply give female characters -1 on that initial die roll you restrict them to 17 strength which denies them all those percentile bonuses that men get at 18, and +1 on constitution doesn't balance that out because going from 18 to 19 constitution doesn't make that big a difference compared to going from 17 to 18/100 strength.

Basically if someone says "well women aren't as strong as men so realism" then you should respond "yeah well in real life no one can cast spells so I guess there's no wizards in this game, realism"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

Actually I'm going to display my extreme nerdiness by pointing out that in (most? idk my D&D knowledge is severely out of date) D&D a single point of strength at the highest level for humans makes a huge difference because 18 is the highest you can ordinarily get by rolling dice for a human character, and when you actually hit 18 you roll a second die out of 100 and use the second number to add additional bonuses. So you get 18/01 up to 18/100 with higher numbers giving significantly higher bonuses. If you simply give female characters -1 on that initial die roll you restrict them to 17 strength which denies them all those percentile bonuses that men get at 18, and +1 on constitution doesn't balance that out because going from 18 to 19 constitution doesn't make that big a difference compared to going from 17 to 18/100 strength.

Basically if someone says "well women aren't as strong as men so realism" then you should respond "yeah well in real life no one can cast spells so I guess there's no wizards in this game, realism"

I'm not sure that was always the case. The 18/100 thing was AD&D specific.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not sure that was always the case. The 18/100 thing was AD&D specific.

Also ended in second edition

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, AD&D second edition was the one I played as a kid so I guess that's where my D&D knowledge starts and ends :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

Well, AD&D second edition was the one I played as a kid so I guess that's where my D&D knowledge starts and ends :shrug:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they got rid of gender-based bonuses/penalties way before that. STILL RACIST, THOUGH!

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

From a game mechanics perspective, I think a balanced diversity of choices is actually better than just "everyone's the same."

I read the same "argument" in an article against gay marriage in Germany a few days ago. Stupid lefties just want to make everyone the same and eliminate diversity with their stupid equality.

Of course there are no words that are as fabulous as Gleich­ma­che­rei in the English language.

skit herre has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Jul 2, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

"Graph of the frequency of UFO sightings"

y-axis:
UFO encounters every day
Started to see them pretty often
Almost no encounters

Data point: "Release of Photoshop 1.0"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

looking at my old myspace page for some decade-old photos, came across this stunningly insightful graph I made

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Will you Hyphenate when you get married, so that you can update it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

looking at my old myspace page for some decade-old photos, came across this stunningly insightful graph I made

The graphs are coming from inside the thread. :eyepop:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

skit herre posted:

I read the same "argument" in an article against gay marriage in Germany a few days ago. Stupid lefties just want to make everyone the same and eliminate diversity with their stupid equality.

Of course there are no words that are as fabulous as Gleich­ma­che­rei in the English language.
I don't think gay marriage is very comparable to tabletop game design, but then I'm not an expert.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Peanut Butler posted:

So it took a year for your parents to assemble all of the letters of your name?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Raldikuk posted:

I'm guessing that for that first year, his parents just used a series of longer and longer nicknames.

P
PB
Pea
Peanut Butler

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

yeah they were poor and they bought my name next to a grocery store encyclopedia set where they sell a new volume every week

they could only afford seven letters because it was the early 80s and no one had thought to make america great again yet

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Can you explain this for the morons in the thread?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Outrail posted:

Can you explain this for the morons in the thread?
It's just a very lovely way to show that more often people ask about Latvia in general, rather than confuse the flag with the Austrian.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Crossposting from the funny pictures thread. It's like someone heard the concept of a "family tree" but never learned they were drawn top to bottom. also I'm pretty sure this shows that incest is canon with Knuckles' family

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wasn't that written by the guy who just kept making different Knuckleses while absolutely no-one at either Archie Comics or Sega paid any attention to what was going on with the comic?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I can't find a decent source about it but yeah p much.

The artist is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Penders and he just did his thing and then copyrighted the characters he created and I think he wants to do a big spin off with his Lara Su character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that where it joins up is all blanks. So there was no reason the family tree HAD to involve incest because none of those characters exist so there was no canon to preserve. But it does anyway.