Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the good fax machine posted:

Not to mention highest quality, as OTA broadcasts aren't compressed like whatever's coming out of your cable box.
Ota is still mpeg2 compressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Yeah, where the gently caress are 4k broadcasts and ATSC 3.0? There were definitely HD broadcasts years before HDTVs were prevalent, what's the holdup?

Edit: Build that skyscraper, Mark!

https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/presidents-memo-completing-skyscraper/

pzy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 1, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

priznat posted:

Would it be straightforward to get an HDHomeRun on a Vizio? No idea what kind of apps they support (all streamed from external devices?)

HDHomeRun can do UPnP DLNA streaming, and that works on pretty much everything that supports network streaming of any kind.

There's also native support in Kodi and Plex, apps for Android and iOS, etc.. If the TV doesn't work with it natively I can basically guarantee you already have some other device that'll work fine.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Is there any reason why I shouldn't get an LG B6 tomorrow for 3 grand CDN? The wife and I need a TV and I was gonna get a basic 4K for about a grand but then I saw this and like goddamn. It'll see heavy use as my computer monitor too.

I've been researching obsessively but now surrender to the goon hive mind.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
LG B6 has an input lag of 71ms when in 4k 60hz 4:4:4 which is the mode you would want for a computer monitor. This is very high compared to a real monitor which is normally around 5ms to 10ms. You would notice this lag just moving the mouse. OLED screens also suffer burn in and static computer displays are worst case for this, though I don't know how much of a problem that is.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Picked up a used 65" Sony X850e from a friend moving out of the country.

So far, kinda unimpressed.
I think the problem is that I've only given it 1080 content because so far everything I've watched on streaming services is blurry and pixelated.

Honestly the 2010 43" 1080p Panasonic plasma I replaced it with had better picture quality.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have a 60" Panasonic plasma and I had a chance to play with a new LG OLED set. Honestly for 1080p content the plasma is so close I'd be disappointed if I upgraded. The 4k HDR stuff looked really good though. None of the LCD TVs came close. I don't think I'll have one ever again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What environment were you in with the OLED? If it was in store, keep in mind that ambient light is several times what you would have in your home.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Trip report: a few weeks back I was asking about mounting a TV above the fireplace, mostly re: a product called MantelMount. Well I installed it over the weekend and it's perfect. (I got the cheapest one.) It definitely pays off to follow the instructions very closely, and to carefully consider all measurements to make sure the TV ends up at the right heights (both the lower height for viewing and the upper height for stowing & avoiding heat). But once installed properly, it feels like it's at the perfect height in both positions. It is a relatively small fireplace, so I imagine it would be tricky if you had one of those big brick monstrosities that you could practically roast a pig over, but I imagine in that situation you probably have a better place to mount the TV anyway.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sir Lemming posted:

Trip report: a few weeks back I was asking about mounting a TV above the fireplace, mostly re: a product called MantelMount. Well I installed it over the weekend and it's perfect. (I got the cheapest one.) It definitely pays off to follow the instructions very closely, and to carefully consider all measurements to make sure the TV ends up at the right heights (both the lower height for viewing and the upper height for stowing & avoiding heat). But once installed properly, it feels like it's at the perfect height in both positions. It is a relatively small fireplace, so I imagine it would be tricky if you had one of those big brick monstrosities that you could practically roast a pig over, but I imagine in that situation you probably have a better place to mount the TV anyway.

Thanks for following up on this I was wondering how it went. Glad it worked well for you.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It was the demo room of a smaller store. It was dimly lit. OLED was better sure, but no where near enough better than what I have to justify the cost. Remember a plasma display can have near perfect blacks and doesn't suffer from any viewing angle problems. They are both emissive display technologies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know, I own a Panasonic Plasma. I still think the difference on even 1080p material is a huge jump.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Good for you. I don't think it's worth the money yet. Maybe when there is more HDR content.

Edit: I don't mean to sound like a dick. The store had the C7 for $1500 off so I thought I'd check it out. After reading about them online I was expecting to be blown away. I was not. I was pretty disappointed and it was a pretty big let down.

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 3, 2017

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm looking into getting one of these. How big/heavy is your TV?

Also does the cheapest one have any horizontal tilting?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TomR posted:

Good for you. I don't think it's worth the money yet. Maybe when there is more HDR content.

What would be your plan if your Panasonic died and wasn't economical to fix? Get a new OLED or look for a second hand plasma that could die on you too?

I had a Panny too, so the OLED seemed the natural progression when I had to replace mine. It wasn't a VT series, so I definitely see a big jump on PQ on standard sources. I was in the position of having to replace though, otherwise I'd probably have waited until the Panny just died.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheDK posted:

I'm looking into getting one of these. How big/heavy is your TV?

Also does the cheapest one have any horizontal tilting?

50" and somewhere between 30-40 lbs. But the mount is explicitly designed to be able to handle larger and heavier ones as well. Exact min/max specs are on the website of course.

There is definitely a pretty decent amount of horizontal tilt, though we don't plan on using that, so we didn't test it much or make any adjustments.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
When the B6 was on super cheap I would have jumped on it if my plasma had died. If it died today I'd wait for the current OLEDs to go on sale, they are still $1000 more even on sale here.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pictured: the finished MantelMount installation. For reference, I'm about 5'7" (and on the left) and as previously mentioned, it's a 50" TV.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Y'all will appreciate this..

I bought a vt60 in 2013 in a rush when everyone started talking about it being the last wave of panny plasma but didn't really have time to set it up.

So it stayed in the box brand new until last week...It was my hidden shame. Only 2 friends knew I had this insane TV in storage that I never actually used and they gave me a ton of poo poo for it..

Ladies and gentleman, I finally set it up..only 4 years late!

And god drat, what a tv. I'm an idiot.

There was a hot minute there where I wondered what a NIB 60 inch vt60 would go for among the sperglords at AVS. I think I paid around 1700 at the time..

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Ha ha, amazing. I know a guy who bought two when they stopped making them. He uses one and has the other one put away for when the first one dies. I bet by the time it gives up TV tech will have moved on a looong way.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Someone on eBay wants $5k for their NIB TV... I wouldn't be shocked. People are... loyal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Smart-Viera-TC-P60VT60-60-Full-3D-1080p-HD-Plasma-Internet-TV-/112457528266

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Rtings updated their 65" TV recommendations. Looks like a good list to me. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Panasonic's quality control wasn't what it once was for the last few generations of TVs. People are taking one hell of a gamble.

The xT50 series had overheating issues leading to screen discoloration. The xT60 series added fans to mitigate, but there were numerous complaints about them buzzing and making noise, needing a replacement or adjustment. The ZT60 had delamination issues pop up.

It would sure suck to spend extra, have a NIB ZT60, open it up after 10 years, and find the panel delaminated from the glass.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TomR posted:

Rtings updated their 65" TV recommendations. Looks like a good list to me. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

I'm just gonna go ahead and quote myself from over a month ago :D

bull3964 posted:

I love my OLED and think it has the best overall picture quality on the market, but it does have downsides in peak brightness and motion handling.

Also, if you want more than 65" OLED isn't going to be for you right now.

This would be my short list for TVs at the moment.

LG's OLED
Vizio 2017 M Series
Sony's X900E Series
Sony's X930E Series

The LG OLED is what I would put as best overall picture quality, especially if most of your content is SDR 1080p. That's not to say HDR content is weak. It's just that 600 nits of brightness it can hit means most UHD blu-rays need to do tone mapping in the brightest areas of the screen. If Dolby Vision content becomes common on disc, not as much as an issue. Best pick if you are watching content in a light controlled room as it allows the inky blacks to really shine.

The Vizio is the best bang for the buck. It delivers great picture quality for a low end price but still includes Dolby Vision. Main TV if you are on a budget, great secondary TVs otherwise.

X900E is a good middle tier option is a decent upgrade over the Vizio, especially if you can get one on sale. It's FALD and can reach 900 nits in a 5% window which can be an advantage over the LG OLED and Vizio M with HDR10 content. It also uses AndroidTV as its smart platform and has the best motion processing in the industry.

X930E occupies a narrower niche simply because it's going to have the same pricepoints as LG's OLED sets (except in the >65" range where LG becomes super pricey.) This is an edge lit display, but it actually has more dimming zones than the FALD X900e. You are basically trading halos for vertical streaks. This adds Dolby vision and has the same great motion processing as the 900e as well as AndroidTV. This set is capable of hitting 1000 nits so it's a great pair for HDR10 content. I would go with this TV if you want a size greater than 65" and have a decent budget or if you are watching a lot of HDR content in brighter rooms.

Notice, none of the TVs are Samsung. I just don't feel Samsung makes a quality product anymore. Every single one of their TVs is riddled with a set of caveats an arm-length long. They are more interested in branding features at this point than delivering solid, consistent picture quality.

I have a mix of TVs in my house because none of my TVs have outright died on me. Living room is LG OLED 65C6. Bedroom is my old Samsung 40" LN-S4095d (my first HDTV I bought back in 2007). My office has my Sony W900A that the OLED replaced (and I have to admit that there's still something VERY pleasing about the picture of this tv, it may have been one of the best 1080p sets produced.) Basement laundry/exercise area has my Panasonic 55ST50 Plasma that has the yellow blotch issue. I also have a smaller Samsung 1080p LCD in the kitchen and an LG 720p LCD that used to be the basement TV, but it's not used right now.

Honestly, if I could replace the bedroom, office, and basement TVs with the 50" 2017 Vizio M, I would probably do it. Selling poo poo is a PITA though and it's a bit too much effort.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah you'd have to be insane to either store a plasma for later use or buy a NIB off ebay for OLED money.

I think you were dead on with that post bull3964.

Edit: I really hope the price of OLED sets comes down soon.
Vizio M65-E0 is $1600CAD
Sony 65X900E is $2700CAD
LG 65B7P is $5000CAD
also lol Samsung wants $4000 for a 65" QLED

TomR fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 4, 2017

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
East Hamilton Radio has the 65" B7P for $4224 + HST but yeah they are still pricey as hell. I am waffling back and forth between the 55" and the 65". I need to remeasure viewing distance, I suspect I would be happy with the 55" no matter what though. Worst case scenario it moves from the mancave to the upstairs living room.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, I'm sitting here watching Preacher S2 on my C6 from Vudu and goddamn it looks almost HDR at times. All of the bright lights in New Orleans I swear extend beyond SDR range at times.

This TV is really too good to waste on compressed CATV feeds. I'm glad I made the decision to buy most of my content from Vudu.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a x900e last week and it is like heaven. gently caress Samsung.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Man, I'm sitting here watching Preacher S2 on my C6 from Vudu and goddamn it looks almost HDR at times. All of the bright lights in New Orleans I swear extend beyond SDR range at times.

This TV is really too good to waste on compressed CATV feeds. I'm glad I made the decision to buy most of my content from Vudu.

Thanks for reminding me to start watching this, loved the books.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

Thanks for reminding me to start watching this, loved the books.

Just so you know if you haven't watched Season 1 yet, it's more of a prequel to set the stage. The show as a whole deviates pretty far from the graphic novel at times, but most people think it's for the better.

I think what made episode S2E3 look so good on this TV is that it was mostly dark with small spots of brightness like neon signs and spotlights. No matter how many local dimming zones you have, you just aren't going to pull off the dramatic difference in brightness with such small areas without some sort of blooming or haloing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 5, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So I pulled the trigger on the 65" TCL S series with the built in Roku. Price for what you get seemed too good to pass up. I know it's HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision, but am not sure how that is going to actually affect me. Is there is a good primer on the difference between 10 and Dolby?

Also, I'll be connecting via Wifi, but the router is upstairs and I'm not sure that I will be getting enough connection to solidly stream 4K. Is there a good Wifi/signal extension solution that is cost effective, or am I better off running Cat6 (which involves crawling through my attic when it is over 100 outside)?.

Edit: Also, I'm replacing a 9 year old Mitsubishi DLP TV. is there a particularly excellent movie/show to load up first to get a showcase of how awesome the new TV is?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is one is static metadata, the other is dynamic.

Look at it this way.

For HDR10, content is mastered on a static scale. It can be 0-1000 nits or 0-4000 nits of brightness (using UHD discs as an example.)

Things within the range of the TV are shown as is, things outside are tone mapped by the TV.

Assume your TV has a peak brightness of 600 nits. 0-600 will be presented as is, anything above 600 will either be clipped (detail lost) or tone mapped (detail maintained, but mapped down to lower brightness.). However tone mapping means that the relative brightness to other items on the screen changes, effectively reducing contrast and dynamic range.

Dolby Vision is dynamic. The capabilities of the display are known and mapped and the content shifts on a scene by scene basis to make the most use of the dynamic range of the TV.

Look at that same 600 nit tv. Say you have a scene with a 1000 nit highlight, a bunch of content in the 700-800 nit range, but nothing below 400 nits. With HDR10, the majority would be clipped or tone mapped to the upper range. With Dolby Vision, the entire scene is mapped downward to fit within the dynamic range if the TV. So the relationship between the on screen elements are maintained. The overall brightness may be reduced, but you retain the dynamic range of the scene.

That's a simplistic explanation, but covers the broad strokes. It's also worth it to not that Dolby Vision content can be mastered to a much higher brightness level than HDR10 right now. As the display upgrades, the content itself gets upgraded with a greater dynamic range. With HDR10, the max is the max. A 1000nit mastered movie can never exceed 1000 nits even if the display is now capable of 10000.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm kind of in the market for a tv. Would it be a mistake to get the cheapest 4K Sony? I'm not a huge fan of LG or Samsung.

Any specific features that are a must have?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Edit: double post

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd check out Vizio if you don't absolutely have to have a tuner in your TV. They seem to have better value than say Sony/LG/Samsung.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Evis posted:

I'd check out Vizio if you don't absolutely have to have a tuner in your TV. They seem to have better value than say Sony/LG/Samsung.

We don't seem to get Vizio where I am (New Zealand) so that's a no go unfortunately.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Do you all have a recommendation for a soundbar around $150 or less? I'm in a small apartment, and have this crappy Samsung, if that matters.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zack Ater posted:

Do you all have a recommendation for a soundbar around $150 or less? I'm in a small apartment, and have this crappy Samsung, if that matters.

This guy is $20 more than what you want to pay but has worked out real nice for me on my Samsung with hdmi arc and HDMI cec. Downside is you probably won't be able to see the LEDs that let you know what the volume is since they're on the top back. If your tv has HDMI cec it displays it on screen.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamyas106bl/yamaha-yas-106-powered-soundbar-w/dual-built-in-subwoofers/1.html

Probably not going to find it new anymore since it got replaced by the Yas 107.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 6, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Costco currently has the ATS-1060 which is the same thing for $159.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
When I first setup my TV I turned on 4:4:4 subsampling because I use a PC as my main media source and it made everything a little sharper. A while ago I did a basic calibration to set reference black and white so they don't get clipped. I watched Arrival and it has a lot of soft, low contrast scenes with grey blacks. I noticed some posterization in the smooth gradients, which this movie has a lot of due to it's look. It wasn't bad enough that I thought there was a problem, just a limitation of the media or TV. But I loved the movie so I got a bunch more test patterns and tried to get everything perfect. One pattern is a smooth black to white ramp and I could see blocks in it where the step from one value to the next was bigger and it stood out. After lots of fiddling I turned off 4:4:4 subsampling and the ramps became smooth. I had turned sharpening all the way down before so I turned it up a bit to compensate for the lost sharpness. Rewatched Arrival and the mild posterization was gone.