Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Dosen solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Continuing with current vote counts because the current frontrunners have changed:

quote:

Raven Warding: 11
Sasha Gunpowder: 10
Dosen: 8
Iseria: 7
Mio Wrath: 7

Mio Love: 6
Kaelin Six: 6
Cecil Combo: 5
Raven Bringing: 4
Alexis: 4
Gram Falcon: 4
Jana Four: 3
Lanzon Destroying: 3
Jana Single: 2
Lanzon Spirit-Summoning: 1
Magda: 1
Gram Dog: 1
Cecil Fist: 1
Sasha Adamantine: 1

I'm gonna leave voting open for longer than usual because I'm exhausted today and I want time to work on another project.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 24, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Love Mio, Dosen, Warding Raven

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Kaelin, Mio, Cecil, any spec.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! Okay, that's nice. At least our mysterious dungeon friend wasn't looking for something to kill themselves.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'm gonna leave voting open for longer than usual because I'm exhausted today and I want time to work on another project.

i lied

Voting is closed. I felt like doing a test run and the party of Sasha/Raven, Kaelin/Mio/Dosen is actually really good. Time to go record.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
But what should we name Raven and Mio's new subclasses?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Aww, and we were so close to voting in a comedy party!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 38. The end. Of the main story.

Thank you to everyone that's followed so far, and look forward to the 6th Stratum, coming Soon Enough (tm).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The boss theme sounds a lot like the Phantom of the Opera.

Usually I save this for when the LP is well and truly finished, but you already spent a bunch of words thanking people, so...
Thank you, Ragnar and Clarste and alcharagia, for putting this LP together! It's been really awesome so far, and I'm looking forward to that post-game content.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 30, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Solumin posted:

Thank you, Ragnar and Clarste and alcharagio

nine years ago i chose this dumb username and it always finds new ways to trip people up

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

alcharagia posted:

nine years ago i chose this dumb username and it always finds new ways to trip people up

:argh: I even went back and double checked it!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

oh no

his hat got you

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The boss theme takes a while to get going, though the main portion is generally timed to kick in when the fight starts getting into gear, or when you get the upper hand. (Unless you leave that 3DS sitting there for some reason.) Which is pretty neat.

Thanks for the LP! I'll be looking forward to the next project and post-game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tyty posted:

oh no

his hat got you

WAHOO, LET'S-A INSERT-A SOME SPICY-HOT MEMES INTO DIALOGUE

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The final boss theme is a nice change of pace from the usual EO fare. (and no this is not a dig at the Steam notification sounds :v:) Slow start aside, it's mostly atmosphere with no real climax, but I still like it.

And it's a bit premature but yeah, thanks for the great LP!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Thanks a lot, despite me being an insufferable rear end in a top hat throughout the whole thing. Ragnar, and I say this with meaning, you should absolutely write a novel or something.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I didn't participate as much as I would have liked, but I'm glad I got to contribute to another Etrian LP! Now to sit back and see how batshit crazy the 6th stratum is

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This all seems... kind of oddly straightforward. But I suppose in its own way that's refreshing, since EO has kind of had a swerve in the whole "climb the tower" plot from the beginning.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Glazius posted:

This all seems... kind of oddly straightforward. But I suppose in its own way that's refreshing, since EO has kind of had a swerve in the whole "climb the tower" plot from the beginning.

something something EOU1 and EOU2.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
EO isn't known for complex plots and originality but I still feel like EO5 has (outside of game mechanics) the most boring final boss in the series. At least the music is good

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hot drat, we're at the end of the main story. Even with all of the translation and localization that needed to be done, somehow it seemed to go by fairly quickly. Time flies, and all that.

I hope writing stuff for Kaelin was as entertaining for you as it was for me to read, even though I'm a lazy bum and never got on Steam. To be fair, I haven't been on Steam in literal years, and don't even have it installed on my current computer, so I wasn't just avoiding you. Oh well, it was enjoyable to see where you ended up taking him (and maybe will take him in the 6th Stratum?), even without much input on my end. Oh, and all of the other characters, too, I guess. ;)

And of course I find the secret update, and end up giggling like a little schoolgirl for 5 minutes straight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Aniodia posted:

And of course I find the secret update, and end up giggling like a little schoolgirl for 5 minutes straight.
Please, tell me where it is!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Aniodia posted:

Hot drat, we're at the end of the main story. Even with all of the translation and localization that needed to be done, somehow it seemed to go by fairly quickly. Time flies, and all that.

Honestly, even with the fact that EO5 has less overall content than EO2U--although EO5's content is overall far better than EO2U's--I'm still surprised that I'm basically just two weeks behind my pace for where I was with EO2U.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Item Getter posted:

EO isn't known for complex plots and originality but I still feel like EO5 has (outside of game mechanics) the most boring final boss in the series. At least the music is good

Yeah, there was pretty much no buildup to it other than being told that you need to kill this thing right when you get to its doorstep.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, EO5's pretty light on the plot since it gets info dumped on you at the very end. Though EO3 and 4 did get bogged down by the plot, so I'm not exactly complaining.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 1, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, there was pretty much no buildup to it other than being told that you need to kill this thing right when you get to its doorstep.

And it's just some very generic looking evil black dragon/demon thing who doesn't get any lines or character

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, EO5's pretty light on the plot since it gets info dumped on you at the very end. Though EO3 and 4 did get bogged down by the plot, so I'm not exactly complaining.

Eh, overall I think I prefer some context on why I'm fighting this thing/these things. This boss really did seem to come out of nowhere.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ok, I had to resort to looking at the html to find the ~secret thing~

But it was worth it

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I love the rewards that Archon gives you for beating the boss.
She's like "There. Happy now?"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

juicedup posted:

I love the rewards that Archon gives you for beating the boss.
She's like "There. Happy now?"

I don't think we've gotten there yet?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
That's something that happens just before we begin the 6th Stratum, yes.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

We reached the end!

The first end.

Where is the secret link? Is there a secret link in the other updates? What are these secret links???

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Secret links have generally been one character-long links in punctuation in the past, and in this update it's hidden behind a specific character portrait after the night dialogue starts.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Secret links have generally been one character-long links in punctuation in the past, and in this update it's hidden behind a specific character portrait after the night dialogue starts.

Ohhhhh

It is good

It is very good

So this means these links are in the other updates too? I am gonna go look for them.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Don't drink to get drunk, children. It's bad when shipping is still abound even at the end of your journey.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Okay, that secret was pretty great.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Just finished reading the thread, kinda sad I didn't get in earlier for character submissions and all that. Can't wait for the postgame stratum and bosses and all that craziness.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Jade Rider posted:

Just finished reading the thread, kinda sad I didn't get in earlier for character submissions and all that. Can't wait for the postgame stratum and bosses and all that craziness.

:same: I was too focused on playing my own EOV
These games suck the time out of me, even though I think I'm playing smart.
For me it's like two housr per floor on expert mode. And then I played it again with another guild. Then I found the thread.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
I just got EOV pre-ordered today, which is sad because it means I need to stop reading this thread before I spoil a bunch of the game, and you have done an amazing job with this playthrough. Really, kudos to you.

I wanted to ask, do you know which DLC was available in the version you played, and roughly what their costs were? I want to have a rough idea of what might be available at launch, and curious if it's just bonus bosses or whatever. Also, does the save game info from the 4th game do anything on this iteration?

Looking forward to coming back to this thread and reading it when I've gotten farther into the game itself, even if that isn't for another 4 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

sethimothy posted:

I wanted to ask, do you know which DLC was available in the version you played, and roughly what their costs were? I want to have a rough idea of what might be available at launch, and curious if it's just bonus bosses or whatever. Also, does the save game info from the 4th game do anything on this iteration?

Regarding the DLC: there's the portraits (schoolchildren [Iseria and Mio], Protector 2 [Sasha], Medic 2 [Magda], and Gunner 2; no idea about cost), the FM soundtrack (I think it was roughly $9 USD but don't quote me on that), and the EXP + money grinding DLC (cost in EO2U was $2 each). There's no major gameplay content this time around.

Regarding the EO4 data: no.

• Locked thread