Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Why daes, comrade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?LOZuxwVk7TU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Pmom, can you weigh in on who scum

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Idgi

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm not saying this isn't a possibility but you guys are acting like "faking content" isn't something scum need to do in this game. It is very possible that that is fake content from AYC.

You' are right to say that there is a possibility that AYC made that statement. You've come in and soft defended him here and yet have done the same thing: You haven't made a hard call on him, and frankly you also haven't made a hard call on me, so right now your response looks worse.

Two questions:

-Do you like AYC's response to my callout? Why or why not?
-Who do you think is scum right now?

What?

Why the hell would I hard call people on their D1 behaviour when I have like all of four posts to go off of? Why would my response look better if I hard called based on basically no information?

Question 1: His response seems completely reasonable given that you vote him for advancing cautious arguments on D1.
Question 2: You given how hard you're pushing people on basically nothing. Other than that I have too little information to make meaningful calls.

Am I going to vote for you? No, because D1 lynches are bad.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

What is with this new wave of mafia players who think D1 is useless

A flip on D1 gives us information about:

-who they were looking at and the opinions they formed
-how people responded to their opinions
-how other people responded to other people responding to their opinions

EVEN IF we get a town flip, we can make connections about how people pushed and if the cases were faked or not. A town flip D1 is more valuable than a scum flip.

PLUS with a successful night kill you end up with 2 dead town which gives you a TON to go on. Also helpful if you got scum and have a nk.

No dunking D1 puts us in basically the same place on D2. Fundamentally this game is a game of an informed minority vs. and uninformed majority. Knowledge is power for town, and flips are absolute truth.

Advocating for a no dunk D1 is unequivocally wrong. If you disagree, you don't understand the game.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If I say my opinion in a strong enough tone it's sure to pass for fact. Without question.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quidthulhu posted:

What is with this new wave of mafia players who think D1 is useless

A flip on D1 gives us information about :

-who they were looking at and the opinions they formed
-how people responded to their opinions
-how other people responded to other people responding to their opinions

EVEN IF we get a town flip, we can make connections about how people pushed and if the cases were faked or not. A town flip D1 is more valuable than a scum flip.

PLUS with a successful night kill you end up with 2 dead town which gives you a TON to go on. Also helpful if you got scum and have a nk.

No dunking D1 puts us in basically the same place on D2. Fundamentally this game is a game of an informed minority vs. and uninformed majority. Knowledge is power for town, and flips are absolute truth.

Advocating for a no dunk D1 is unequivocally wrong. If you disagree, you don't understand the game.

This is untrue because D2 follows N1 where powers go off and someone gets killed by scum. We have fundamentally more information in all circumstances and I'm more comfortable lynching then. The D1 information isn't worth a town member dying because we're fundamentally lazy players that go for stupid lynches early.

It's like how on D1 if Infinitum is in the game he's eating the lynch like 60-70% of the time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is untrue because D2 follows N1 where powers go off and someone gets killed by scum. We have fundamentally more information in all circumstances and I'm more comfortable lynching then. The D1 information isn't worth a town member dying because we're fundamentally lazy players that go for stupid lynches early.

It's like how on D1 if Infinitum is in the game he's eating the lynch like 60-70% of the time.

I mean I can see the other side, I just don't agree with it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dhaes is posting in a toxic way

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Oh I thought you wanted to gently caress him in an airplane

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
W H O
T H E
F U K
A R E
B A D
? ? ?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Kashuno posted:

W H O
T H E
F U K
A R E
B A D
? ? ?

Wtf? A bhhura, oe. Ked?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

Wtf? A bhhura, oe. Ked?

##vote quid

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.

video deleted

Pinterest Mom posted:

Dhaes is posting in a toxic way

:captainpop:

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Kashuno posted:

W H O
T H E
F U K
A R E
B A D
? ? ?

i told you man you shuold listen to me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

d1 lynches, are good

lynch quid or gif probst who still hasn't fuckin posted

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lets lynch probst

did like a fly by vote during joke phase and has literally done nothing else

##vote gif probst

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I may be selfcentered, but I would like to examine some of the vets pushing for me. I'm an easy D1 mis-cuddle, and I suspect someone is trying to capitalize on that (either by manipulating in thread or by pushing in scumdoc for it)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidthulhu posted:

I may be selfcentered, but I would like to examine some of the vets pushing for me. I'm an easy D1 mis-cuddle, and I suspect someone is trying to capitalize on that (either by manipulating in thread or by pushing in scumdoc for it)

:rolleye:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Who scum, Opop, I feel like you've posted a lot and said very little

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

oh man a couple of shitposters yep ok examination done

:tinfoil:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidthulhu posted:

Who scum, Opop, I feel like you've posted a lot and said very little

That's probably the first time anyone has accused me of posting a lot. I don't have a good pick yet. You look bad, but I'm starting to think it's in the usual way.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I don't look bad, I'm hardworking and charming :3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Retro Futurist posted:

That's probably the first time anyone has accused me of posting a lot. I don't have a good pick yet. You look bad, but I'm starting to think it's in the usual way.

I don't really buy the "usual D1 mislynch" defense quid is using, because it's an easy deflection from any criticism of his play or reads or cases or anything he wants it to be

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Nobody has criticized my play other than saying I am:

-taking it too seriously
-being mean, i guess?

You said maybe I had a disingenuous argument? I don't even know, man.

Tons of people are voting for & soft pushing me and I'd like to see the actual case?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Here's Foo's case on me:

Captain Foo posted:

you might be, though

Captain Foo posted:

like, this isn't a great call imo, but you didn't vote it, instead you voted Added Space after being so absurdly confused by bad play that screams noob saibot that you just had to vote for it? what?

c'mon man

Calls me out here for making a case without backing it up with a vote, while subsequently making a vote for AS who was too noob to be scum. OK, not a bad case.

Captain Foo posted:

It's fine dude

He made some reads, and you lost your poo poo

You're coming off a lot worse in this exchange tbh

I don't agree with this analysis on a fundamental level, but again, he said she said. This however:

Captain Foo posted:

I read your post and I read the other post, yes

It's pretty scummy to try to cajole me into understanding aycs post not by reading it, but by reading your version of it

Like I understand you're trying to convince me of things, that's how the game functions

This is a bad post.

-Represents me as saying my interpretation of AYC's post was the only one. Of course that is not true, and I never said Foo couldn't draw his own conclusions from our interaction.
-Furthermore, FOO SAYS HE KNOWS THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING. He understands that a fundamental part of mafia is watching how others interact with each other and drawing conclusions from that. If he gets that, why is THIS the point he's using to cement his case with me? This contradicts his first statement completely.
-FUTHERMORE, what is this post even saying? Again, this is incredibly wishy-washy. Why defend yourself against being wrong here unless you're worried about being wrong and subsequently looking bad as a result? That's a scum mindset.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Yet you injected words into the ayc post to make it imply things that it doesn't in order to pick it apart

I guess this is the immediate next followup but why not say that initially? It's a weird immediate followup.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also since I'm rereading Foo's case on me he makes a big deal about saying that I am injecting things into AYC's posting that aren't there, specifically when I said that I thought AYC was coming from a position of defending AS via knowing he would be a mis-dunk. Can other people read in to that exchange and give an opinion? It's frustrating that everyone is saying "quid is being scummy" because of my tone & not my content. I keep coming in here lookin at poo poo and trying to get people to talk about people's words, actions, and intent to deceive with me and everyone wants to talk about mafia meta mechanics and whether or not I'm being an overly involved meaniehead. Can we play mafia instead???

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

After my latest break from Mafia I have thoughts about what is good play and is not good play, wheedling people for being slightly wishy washy is not good play. Especially (early) on D1 it's hard to say anything with conviction, there just isn't enough info. So coming off super hard out of the gate is garbage play, and if you say you 100 percent have a read you get nailed on that, if you take a measured stance you get nailed on that!

I get that being wishy washy is scummy, but that's later when there's actual play to be analyzed and refusing to do so. Early on? Nah, and i think the conceit of non-perfect play being scummy is so terrible and detrimental to actually playing! Especially when there's no real agreement on what good play is, case in point the D1 turbo question

So in conclusion, quid is being :sun: disingenuous :sun: and that's a lot more suspicious than making reads without 100% conviction on early day 1

Nobody else finds this incredibly hypocritical considering Foo is coming in and saying he has 100% on D1 pegged me as scum?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

This is the response we're talking about? It's fine although voting is easy to do. I understand the sentiment, however.

I v much understand how a joke phase that also includes me and Kash and asiina trying to one up each other on short posting is well nigh unreadable

This is another strange half agreeal dismissal of what I'm saying, I think these are weird and potentially might be poo poo Foo is doing so when I am mis-dunked he can point back and say "dude don't blame me, I said I understood where he was coming from!"

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

That is all Foo has said about me. A flismy D1 case that he has gone hard on as being correct (except for the times he existentially says "but who among us can ever really no" :camus: ), which he is certain about because someone who says they are 100% certain they have found scum on D1 and goes hard on pushing it is being disingenuous.

Am I wrong about this?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah pretty much, while I agree with

Captain Foo posted:

I don't really buy the "usual D1 mislynch" defense quid is using, because it's an easy deflection from any criticism of his play or reads or cases or anything he wants it to be

In theory, in practice it just feels like the same old Quid stuff.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 1

Quidthulhu (2): Captain Foo, Kashuno
areyoucontagious (2): Quidthulhu, EXAKT Science
Dhaes (1): Kashuno, Quidthulhu, Kashuno, Quidthulhu, Pinterest Mom
Hal Incandenza (1): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, Yorkshire Tea
Lynch No One! (1): Jonathan Fisk
Pinterest Mom (1): gif Probst
Yorkshire Tea (1): areyoucontagious
gif Probst (1): Dhaes
EXAKT Science (0): Captain Foo, Kashuno, Captain Foo, Kashuno
Jonathan Fisk (0): Dhaes, Added Space, Kashuno, Dhaes, Added Space, Kashuno
Captain Foo (0): Dhaes, Dhaes
Kashuno (0): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu
Added Space (0): Jonathan Fisk, Dhaes, EXAKT Science, Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, EXAKT Science, Jonathan Fisk, Dhaes

Not Voting (3): Added Space, Hal Incandenza, Retro Futurist

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 03rd, 2017 at 7 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 21 hours, 50 minutes.

I'm not going to stress too much with the holiday weekend, the only player who needs more posts is gif probst. Do some more before deadline please grody.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Added Space posted:

I'm still against D1 lynches based on the math.

If you don't kill someone day 1 then the vote math gets screwed up and harder for town on subsequent days. This is a bad take.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Yorkshire Tea posted:

What?

Why the hell would I hard call people on their D1 behaviour when I have like all of four posts to go off of? Why would my response look better if I hard called based on basically no information?

Question 1: His response seems completely reasonable given that you vote him for advancing cautious arguments on D1.
Question 2: You given how hard you're pushing people on basically nothing. Other than that I have too little information to make meaningful calls.

Am I going to vote for you? No, because D1 lynches are bad.

what the frig is this

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The only way that town gets info from N1 is if power roles out themselves day 2 (usually bad play). The flip from an NK is WORTH very little as information compared to a day flip

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Dhaes posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lets lynch probst

did like a fly by vote during joke phase and has literally done nothing else

##vote gif probst

I don't like lurker dunks day 1

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Quidthulhu posted:

Wtf? A bhhura, oe. Ked?

hard same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EXAKT Science posted:

I don't like lurker dunks day 1

:agreed:

Killing Gif today isn't really any different than killing nobody at all, from an information perspective.

He should be modkilled or replaced instead unless he suddenly shows up

• Locked thread