Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

the design's kinda bad even as someone who's usually up for fanservice. sometimes video games have bad designs. i hope this helps.

I meant why would Jack the Ripper be a ten year old girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

Represents British orphaned girls who died in the gutter in Victorian England. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

i mean they never caught jack the ripper so he could be anything. there's plenty of jack the ripper stories where he's a teenaged boy and there's plenty where he's a woman

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck there's an american tv show where jack the ripper was a magic time traveling knife

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I'm hype for Hassan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its me i'm jack the ripper

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Stairmaster posted:

its me i'm jack the ripper

Put some pants on then.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

heck there's an american tv show where jack the ripper was a magic time traveling knife

I don't think that theory has a lot of historical support

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

i mean you cant prove he wasn't

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is the heavens feel movie gonna skip over day 1-3

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

is the heavens feel movie gonna skip over day 1-3

You can see Berseker VS Saber and hear Shirou dialogue in the church, so at least the third day is not skipped.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Remember that time Jack the Ripper was turned into an undead monstrosity by some lovely vampire and hid inside a horse to ambush the hero who ended up killing him with magical sunlight breathing kung fu?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you believe in alien?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nyaa posted:

Do you believe in alien?

Has the alien from Roswell shown up as a Servant?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has the alien from Roswell shown up as a Servant?

no but helena blavatsky summons a ufo for her np

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Everyone knows Jack the Ripper traveled through time and got chased by HG Wells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huziaaaEd1s

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Atilla the Hun is a literal outer space alien. Rin makes a multiversal sentient wand. Hell, to beat a Dead Apostle, Arcueid summons a moon from the future while Shiki stabs him with the ultimate perception of death. Time traveling knives doesn't sound too farfetched.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I have a long road trip coming up and I think I'm finally going to play through Fate/Extra. Give me Servant recommendations and whether to go Rin or Lani route on a first playthrough

I'm assuming that Archer on the Rin route is optimal for shenanigans.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

So I have a long road trip coming up and I think I'm finally going to play through Fate/Extra. Give me Servant recommendations and whether to go Rin or Lani route on a first playthrough

Mechanically Saber is fairly balanced and the easiest character to play with, so probably best for a first playthrough. Caster is an enormous glass cannon; it can be hard to keep her alive but she's very effective if you can. I'd say Archer is the hardest; I actually found him still fairly tough to play in NG+.

The story doesn't vary much at all depending on Servant. Insofar as it does I think Saber also has the solidest story; Archer's is kind of boring. Caster's story is arguably the most interesting and significant but at the same time it's also the silliest so there's a trade-off there.

Rin and Rani routes are almost identical for the most part; they only really significantly change one chapter. It's a choice between the Rin route where you fight (minor spoiler)Dracula or the Rani route where you fight (amazing spoiler)Arcueid. Both versions of that chapter are great in their own bizarre way, so just pick whichever character you feel like when the choice comes up.

Rin/Archer does have some minor shenanigans - especially if the protagonist is female, I believe? - but not much.

tl;dr: Best/intended first playthrough is probably male protagonist/Saber/whoever.

edit: Whereas best last playthrough is definitely female protagonist/Caster/whoever.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 2, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

never don't pick the female protag, caster is the most 'canon' servant choice

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

never don't pick the female protag, caster is the most 'canon' servant choice

I actually did female protagonist with Saber first and I found it a little disappointing; I felt like the game didn't give a drat that I'd picked the female protagonist, the writing was just going to assume that I'd picked male instead.

Female protagonist and Caster, on the other hand, worked brilliantly and felt pretty much perfect. I'm honestly not sure why it worked so well for me in one route but not the other?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont get it either because nero literally says she's bisexual and prefers women so she's hitting on you because you're a woman. if anything the male protag is the one that feels forced for nero.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the CCC Foxtail manga made me love Male Hakuno tbh. his gimmick that he's so generic he tries to stand out with weird shirts works

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

I would rather have had this

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a show where you have all your big boob anime babes running around but also this sentient floating knife that communicates by carving on walls and stuff would be cool

a police show with a sentient floating knife would be cool

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Gamerofthegame posted:

it is every explained why all these historical figures are suddenly large chested anime babes

The artist and CEO of Type Moon likes having cute girls in the cast :v:
(IIRC they mentioned in an interview that Ushi(?)'s specific case it was literally him going "man we need more cute girls")

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

it is every explained why all these historical figures are suddenly large chested anime babes

cheetah7071 posted:

I like how there's all this justification in F/SN for why king arthur was a girl and it actually makes sense even if it's kinda dumb but then at some point (Extra? earlier than that?) they just decided genderswapped servants was a thing that happens and stopped caring about why

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

iirc they said that Berserker!Jack would be a floating knife in his stage 1 if he got on FGO, just like Nursery Rhyme is a floating book

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

strange fake seems like 90 times better than apocrypha but that might just be because gilgamesh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

strange fake seems like 90 times better than apocrypha but that might just be because gilgamesh

i hope they make an anime of it in 10 years after narita loving finishes it. the tl i'm reading on beast's lair is loving insane

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk what's going on with Strange Fake even though I'm caught up, I kinda like some of it and the rest feels like nothing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm reading the manga and it seems badass af

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I only like Strange Fake for Enkidu and the dynamic between Gilgamesh and his Master. Everything else, I'm not sure what's going on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Strange Fake seems to be an exercise in "How can we make the Holy Grail War go even more off the rails then what happened in Fuyuki?".

In all the ways FSN's HGW went wrong SF turns it up to 11.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

i dont get it either because nero literally says she's bisexual and prefers women so she's hitting on you because you're a woman. if anything the male protag is the one that feels forced for nero.

tbf i can think of at least one specific scene in Nero's route where either the writer or the translator forgot that you might be playing as a girl. i don't remember all the context but Nero's talking about how major changes can be difficult to adjust to and gives "if you suddenly woke up as a girl" as an example. i think there were a couple of other lines that seemed to have been written under the assumption of a male protagonist too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm still not sure if Tamamo calling you "husband" regardless of gender is supposed to be a character thing, or a translation shortcut they try to pass off as a character thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm still not sure if Tamamo calling you "husband" regardless of gender is supposed to be a character thing, or a translation shortcut they try to pass off as a character thing

a character thing.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a combination of character thing and slightly odd translation choice. She calls you "goshujin-sama", which means "master" in modern Japanese but is also an archaic word for "husband". Given that she specifically aspires to be an ideal wife and (according to some of her conversations in Extra) has a little trouble getting her head around the concept of a same-sex relationship even if she's okay with being in one, it fits her well enough.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thuryl posted:

It's a combination of character thing and slightly odd translation choice. She calls you "goshujin-sama", which means "master" in modern Japanese but is also an archaic word for "husband". Given that she specifically aspires to be an ideal wife and (according to some of her conversations in Extra) has a little trouble getting her head around the concept of a same-sex relationship even if she's okay with being in one, it fits her well enough.

Yeah I figured that goshujinsama was probably an archaic word for husband (I knew dannasama which has basically the same literal meaning) but with my limited knowledge of Japanese I assumed that an equally valid interpretation of the word choice was "she's a Japanese spirit, so she sometimes uses the Japanese word instead of masutaa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jack's design is bad but I don't care because her powers are some of the neatest of any servant and the historical/mythical lore they created for her regarding the industrial revolution and ghost children and such is awesome. This is my hot take.