Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Measly Twerp posted:

Or; mount the CPU on a separate PCB and then mount that PCB into a slot on the motherboard.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Intel already has you covered

Better yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well here's how Asus is doing it for LGA2066:

To make Socket TR4 work, I imagine you would have to also put the sodimms on a daughter board. Probably wouldn't do regular dimms on a daughter board cause of weight issues.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Better yet

Oh man, ASRock and their goofy AF socket 939 upgrade daughterboards.

Seriously, if there is anyone that you can expect to make Threadripper ITX work, it's ASRock. When they do, just.... don't stare at the circuitboard traces. And if they start to swim a bit out the corner of your eye, uh, maybe call a priest and pour yourself a nice, stiff drink? It's absolutely not the eldritch powers used to stitch together socket TR4 and an ITX board causing you to lose SAN.

Definitely not any twisted perversions of space-time and 4D space, no.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Intel already has you covered

AMD can play at that game too...

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there a mostly automated way to disable cores on amd bulldozer (or similar) architecture chips so that there's only 1 core active per fpu?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 30, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So B350 looks good for a single GPU build. Any goon-preferred B350 mATX/ATX board? Or at least one that's known to be pretty good? I want to slam some 3600 MHz RAM into it and call myself good for the next 5+ years.

eames
May 9, 2009

The main thing to watch out for with B350 boards are the VRMs. Some cheap boards can barely handle a stock 1800X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI&t=1551s

eames fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 30, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I have the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3, rating: works and has LEDs

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

So B350 looks good for a single GPU build. Any goon-preferred B350 mATX/ATX board? Or at least one that's known to be pretty good? I want to slam some 3600 MHz RAM into it and call myself good for the next 5+ years.

Asus B350 Prime here is fabulous.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Aren't B350s capped at 3200mhz ram? Or max supported would probably be the better way to phrase it. Officially X370s are supported to 3600.

AsRock AB350m pro 4. Super no frills but with a little work got ram to 3200 and easy 3.8 gig oc on the 1600.

eames
May 9, 2009

Something to keep in mind is that AMD claims AM4 will last until 2020.
There's a chance we'll see 8 core CPUs running at 5+ Ghz towards the end of the platform, that's one of the reasons why I ordered a X370 board with pretty oversized VRMs for today's CPUs.

3peat
May 6, 2010

eames posted:

Something to keep in mind is that AMD claims AM4 will last until 2020.
There's a chance we'll see 8 core CPUs running at 5+ Ghz towards the end of the platform, that's one of the reasons why I ordered a X370 board with pretty oversized VRMs for today's CPUs.

Which one?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I just noticed that there's finally a BIOS update for the B350M-A, does anyone have any trip reports on it making RAM more compatible or being a good upgrade? I would normally dive right in, but I thought I saw earlier where someone bricked their board with BIOS updating. I bought some Corsair that I thought was on the list, but it turns out it was slightly different so I've been rolling at only 2133 on BIOS 604. Below has been released now.

PRIME B350M-A BIOS 0805
Update AGESA to 1.0.0.6a

PRIME B350M-A BIOS 0612
Improve system stability

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So I got my 1700X system build today, and man the 20C offset is annoying. Is anyone doing anything about it? I know ryzen master shows the right temp now, but that doesn't help my H110i...

eames
May 9, 2009

3peat posted:

Which one?

I chose the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 because it has a couple of features that are useful for virtualization.*
The VRMs are good but not as good as the best boards (Asrock/Asus) but that's ok as I value stability over ~extreme 4.1 Ghz overclocks~.

* working IOMMU groups and extra LAN/SATA controllers that can be passed through separately

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 2, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Note that those stats are coming from PassMark though, so it's a self-selecting sample of people who chose to benchmark their system. That might skew the numbers a bit.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Of note that chart only represents Passmark users, not an actual marketshare analysis made by any sort of reputable organization.

The main skepticism of the chart will be 'of course all the people who bought shiny new CPU's are benchmarking them.'

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Fell for the clickbait title :doh:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

It does indicate an uptick though, maybe not as severe but nowhere else on that graph is the difference between quarters so immense. Either a bunch of people spent 1000$ to bot passmark benches or Ryzen seems to be a bigger deal than Conroe, and that's not a good sign for Intel.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Of note that chart only represents Passmark users, not an actual marketshare analysis made by any sort of reputable organization.

The main skepticism of the chart will be 'of course all the people who bought shiny new CPU's are benchmarking them.'

Not even "Passmark users", it represents number of Passmark runs made in the past month. And Ryzen is a processor that needs a lot of tinkering to get performing well because of its memory issues.

Reminder: Ryzen Passmark runs with AMD processors increased by like 50% in the first couple months after launch and Steam Hardware Survey marketshare decreased.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 2, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ive also never benchmarked any one of the work systems ive been given over the years, and ive probably had 5x as many of those than home systems. I don't have any doubt that Ryzen has made AMD far more competitive in the custom build arena though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
LTT Amazon affiliate statistics also showed significant market share increase. So at least currently people are buying much more AMD CPUs than before. But it remains to be seen how big of a portion AMD will manage to carve of CPUs in use.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saukkis posted:

LTT Amazon affiliate statistics also showed significant market share increase. So at least currently people are buying much more AMD CPUs than before. But it remains to be seen how big of a portion AMD will manage to carve of CPUs in use.

Meanwhile the Steam hardware survey just updated with Junes stats, and says AMD lost CPU marketshare for the 4th month in a row :psyduck:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Shockingly, most computers are not built from parts, and most people don't spend their days doing Passmark runs to figure out optimal memory timings

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You actually need to wait for at least three months after the reveal to see actual effects. People need to save money and then buy poo poo. And OEMs need to sell computers with Ryzen.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The Ryzen 5 1600 is the #2 best seller on Amazon now so that's certainly a good sign.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I think most of us forgot laptop CPUs constitutes maybe like 70% of Intel's consumer market and AMD has been non existent there for a decade.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I wouldn't buy one but they seem to do alright in the Walmart laptop segment. Seems like a large chunk of cheap laptops I see have AMD CPUs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Palladium posted:

I think most of us forgot laptop CPUs constitutes maybe like 70% of Intel's consumer market and AMD has been non existent there for a decade.

A decade? It's a lot longer than that they've been noncompetitive.

ultrabay2000 posted:

I wouldn't buy one but they seem to do alright in the Walmart laptop segment. Seems like a large chunk of cheap laptops I see have AMD CPUs.

Those also sell less than you'd expect. There's tons of Atom, Pentium, Celeron laptops going out nearly as cheap or even cheaper, but more widely available. And most consumers don't really understand that sometimes the AMD's better integrated GPU might actually be better for what they want to do on a real low end device.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Palladium posted:

ultrabay2000 posted:

as one of those people that got a 300 dollar best buy laptop with an A8 amd processor in it, its not bad the only thing I hated about the laptop was its harddrive but I replaced it and it does it job just fine.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Release Raven Ridge already, goddamn AMD. Based on what the A12-9800 and R5 1400 can do, I'm expecting even the mid tier Raven SKU's to just faceroll the poo poo out of Intel products. An Iris 550 plays BF1 at around 45fps at 720p, low preset with 50% render scaling, the R7 on the 9800 does 48-55fps at 100% render scaling, same settings, while attached to the hip of lovely CPU cores.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Hey hey get in line buddy we still dont have anything new about threadripper yet

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Scarecow posted:

Hey hey get in line buddy we still dont have anything new about threadripper yet

surely this workstation product will be incredibly different from the consumer version

wait, sorry, which AMD product were we talking about?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

surely this workstation product will be incredibly different from the consumer version

Actually, it might be considering Threadripper is quad channel and Ryzen loves it some bandwidth.

I'm now wondering if it'd be possible to MCM two Raven Ridge dies for the TR4 platform. 8C/16T, 1408SP iGPU, 150W, Quad memory.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Just suck all the hope out of life why dont you

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Actually, it might be considering Threadripper is quad channel and Ryzen loves it some bandwidth.

I'm now wondering if it'd be possible to MCM two Raven Ridge dies for the TR4 platform. 8C/16T, 1408SP iGPU, 150W, Quad memory.

Is it bandwidth, latency, or the speed of the fabric bus increasing it loves?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

Release Raven Ridge already, goddamn AMD. Based on what the A12-9800 and R5 1400 can do, I'm expecting even the mid tier Raven SKU's to just faceroll the poo poo out of Intel products. An Iris 550 plays BF1 at around 45fps at 720p, low preset with 50% render scaling, the R7 on the 9800 does 48-55fps at 100% render scaling, same settings, while attached to the hip of lovely CPU cores.

Stop please I can only be so erect.

I need it too. Console competition on an APU is what I want. Need. And maybe we'll even be able to really goose them on voltage to get some dece clocks. Weird things like Freesync 2 VESA mounted water cooled computers. Boxes that pretty much just serve as 4k60 Steam Links. $450 complete gaming systems - monitor, keyboard, and mouse included. I want to throw up because I want it so bad.

APUs were always the most compelling Vega product. Lisa pls

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

They better make some mini-STX mobos for them too, that would open up some really tiny case options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mount the whole thing inside a mechanical keyboard case with USB-C DP alt mode out and have the hipster est laptop.

I NEED THESE THINGS LISA WHY WON'T YOU GIVE THEM TO ME