Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Strange Fake is basically Fate: DBZ. It's silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fate/Grand Order posted:

Gilles de Rais
Character Info
Height/Weight: 186 cm, 91 kg
Origin: History
Region: France
Alignment: Lawful Good
Slightly scrawny man. Not that hyped up.

... Someone at Type-Moon really does not understand the concept of "good" as it pertains to alignments. At all. :psyduck:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

... Someone at Type-Moon really does not understand the concept of "good" as it pertains to alignments. At all. :psyduck:

That is pre-corruption Gilles. Before he went insane.
The Caster version is Chaotic Evil.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's Saber GIlles. From when he was Jeanne's most devoted servant. From before he started torturing kids and doing magic spells. Caster Gilles is chaotic evil.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All I know about FGO is that Spartacus needs to stop smiling like that.

I'm almost at the end of Orleans and it's pretty cool, looking forward to what people have said is better plot that comes later. I wish the Servant art had tried more to keep a unifying style like FSN/Zero/Extra had but whatever I'll just not use them. :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amadeus suffered a really weird translation, I feel.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Playing GO in english made me like Mozart a lot more.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Apo Episode 1... Hyped me?!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Is it subbed yet?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

Is it subbed yet?

Yeah fansubbers caught it because japan netflix has it in lockdown

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Plutonis posted:

Yeah fansubbers caught it because japan netflix has it in lockdown

Not just any fansubbers, freakin' UTW back from the grave. Fitting when the coolest master is a Necromancer.

Apocrypha Ep. 1 was great stuff. Solid balance of exposition, action, vague/artsy foreshadowing, and giving brief but meaningful impressions of most of its huge-rear end cast. Also the BGM is 10 on 10, the mood it was creating was fantastic. Also, Mordred is immediately great and it took all of 15 seconds.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Okay, yeah, that was a really good first episode, and it seems like it's gonna have a really good OST too.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Fun fact, Mordred is Chaotic Neutral in her normal Saber form but when she puts on a swimsuit she becomes Chaotic Good because surfing is good, actually.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

Fun fact, Mordred is Chaotic Neutral in her normal Saber form but when she puts on a swimsuit she becomes Chaotic Good because surfing is good, actually.

This is why Mordred is the best Saberface son daughterson..

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Argas posted:

This is why Mordred is the best Saberface son daughterson..

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just finished watching Unlimited Blade Works. I liked it. Before that I watched Fate/Zero and enjoyed that too. Should I just start Apocrypha or are any of the other Fate anime worth watching?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just watch Apocrypha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just finished watching Unlimited Blade Works. I liked it. Before that I watched Fate/Zero and enjoyed that too. Should I just start Apocrypha or are any of the other Fate anime worth watching?

carnival phantasm

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
drat, I knew I was missing something, dishonor on my cow.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do I need to watch the other Type-Moon shows before I watch Carnival Phantasm?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
No, because the Tsukihime anime is a poor adaptation that does not properly reflect that batshittery of the Tsukihime VN and watching Carnival Phantasm won't spoil you on either that or Melty Blood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do I need to watch the other Type-Moon shows before I watch Carnival Phantasm?
kara no kyoukai isn't in carnival phantasm at all outside of a one second cameo that also includes characters from nasu's pre-tsukihime short stories, tsukihime is only in carnival phantasm for like 15 minutes total. it's pretty much just a fate gag show. there are entire episodes where the tsukihime characters dont even appear.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Guy Goodbody posted:

Here's my opinions on Fate anime other than Apocrypha, which you absolutely should watch:

The Studio DEEN Unlimited Bladeworks movie isn't very good, especially compared to the TV series, so you can skip that.

The Studio DEEN Fate/Stay Night TV series from the 00s is... ok. Its a half-decent adaptation of the Fate route but its got plenty of mediocre bit in it. That said, it was the first Fate material I ever saw and it made me fall in love with the franchise, plus it has one really cool and important scene that was not witnessed "on camera," in the VN. Its worth seeing, but only if you really can't convince yourself to sit down and just play the VN or go read the Lets Play of the VN. Or if you just want to see how far anime adaptations of Fate have come, its certainly an interesting comparison.

The Fate/Grand Order OVA special is pretty meh. Its an accurate adaptation of that game's prologue, but the prologue is bland and exposition heavy so it's not exactly going to get your blood pumping. If you're interested in the story of that game, you're better off just playing the game so you don't have to sit through that poo poo twice. If you have no interest in Fate/Grand Order, skip it.

Absolutely watch Carnival Phantasm immediately. That's amazing in every way.

There's a 12 Minute anime special giving a taste of what a theoretical Fate/Prototype anime would be like. I highly recommend checking it out, its super cool and comparing what Nasu originally imagined back as a young pup with what he eventually produced is neat to me.

There's a Fate/Extra anime production of some kind coming out in a couple seasons. I'm excited for it, and if you want to delve into Fate/Extra branch of the universe without playing an 80+ hour RPG with iffy Rock Paper Scissor game mechanics, there's a manga called Fate/Extra Fox Tails. I haven't had the time to read it yet, but I've heard many good things and seen single pages that really make me want to check it out.

There are several previews out for the upcoming quadrilogy (I think?) of films by Ufotable which will cover the Heaven's Feel route of Fate/Stay Night. Watch those and get hype as gently caress.

Finally, with some hesitation and at the risk of being ridiculed, but for the sake of completion: Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya. This is a magical girl spinoff series, and the most important thing you need to know about it is that it has some VERY questionable content involving underage fanservice. Its all played for laughs in typical ecchi romcom fashion, but I don't blame anyone who can't stomach that sort of stuff especially given its ubiquity these days. If you're the type who can laugh off and get past that, then IMHO the action sequences, the interesting Alternate Universe, the parts of the plot that are not related to gross poo poo and the comedy that doesn't involve gross poo poo all make it worth watching, especially if you're a fan of the modern Nanoha-style Magical Girl genre. If you're not, by all means stay far away. Oh, and if you do decide to watch, for the love of god stay away from the OVA bonus episodes at all costs. I couldn't even finish most of them. (Alternatively, you could try reading the manga, the anime dialed the problematic stuff WAAAAAAAAAAY up compared to what was found on the page).

So there, that's the complete list of Fate animes. Hope it was helpful.

(PS: Watch the Kara no Kyokai movies. They're not Fate related but they're god drat awesome)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The FGO anime is worth it for Fou's cute noises and Cu Chulainn chumping everyone.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Argas posted:

The FGO anime is worth it for Fou's cute noises and Cu Chulainn chumping everyone.

I have to admit, Rider's Lancer incarnation was pretty dope. But watching it really made playing through the prolouge even more painful.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I'm probably the only one here that enjoyed the alternate reality high school Miyako manga. It's too bad that it got canceled just after introducing female Gilgamesh and Trap Arturia (Arthur?).

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The Miyako manga felt really pointless overall. I mean, for better or for worse, Prisma Illya does have interesting AU shenanigans and the art style isn't bad, Miyako manga from what little I remember was just kind of a generic high school battle manga. Like, I don't even remember any of the fights.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hope they will make an anime for Witch of The Holy Night. Mage vs Mage is so gooooood.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oooh yeah Apocrypha is out

Mordred looks p awesome

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Oooh yeah Apocrypha is out

Mordred looks p awesome

EDIT: Her retracting helmet is cool as gently caress

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 4, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love the animation on her helmet and Clarent.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Mordred immediately became the best Saber, holy gently caress. Pretty hype for what kind of crazy shenanigans happen in this one, I somehow have managed not to spoil myself on the plot, just most of the Servants.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
apocrypha: a bunch of idiots and Astolfo arguing over who the main character is

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We all know Astolfo is the main character

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So why is Aproypha downhill? That's the only thing I saw looking back at the thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

So why is Aproypha downhill? That's the only thing I saw looking back at the thread.
too many characters and all the interesting ones get their screentime lessened in favor of the most boring ones, lots of scenes of the villains talking about their plans and not a lot of scenes of them actually enacting their plans

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Looking around and running into spoilers, it looks like a certain specific character completely takes over the narrative like halfway through, and they're not particularly interesting. We'll just have to wait and see if that's the case or not.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So I'm almost done with Orleans.

I realize it's far, far too late to complain about accuracy (and indeed, madness to ask for it), but man I hate everything about Marie and Sanson

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Marie is good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Marie's giant statue in the summer event was amazing.