Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kaiji fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing about Shaft that I'm glad to see is Akiyuki Shinbo kinda stepping away and letting other people direct things. Like yeah, they're still putting his name as "Chief Director" but it feels that he's just there because he knows people and that's that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The one thing about Shaft that I'm glad to see is Akiyuki Shinbo kinda stepping away and letting other people direct things. Like yeah, they're still putting his name as "Chief Director" but it feels that he's just there because he knows people and that's that.

in practice this just means other people get director credits for the house style aka "copy Shinbo." doesn't seem that great to me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

in practice this just means other people get director credits for the house style aka "copy Shinbo." doesn't seem that great to me
I dunno. March comes like a Lion felt like its own thing much of the time. How much of that is due to the original manga being from the same lady who did Honey and Clover (and the anime keeping it with the same vibe) and how much it is from Shinbo letting someone take a crack at the rudder is up to debate. Hopefully this means good things.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I finished Sword Oratoria and it's a really solid, fun fantasy adventure show, not totally surprising but still neat. The blacksmith woman that supports the expedition is very good and I hope they get another season. I will say that I ended up re-watching some of the first season and gosh, it's a lot better looking, both in the slickness of the action and just visual creativity, so I hope they can get the same team or production time or whatever as the first season if they do keep going.

Holy gently caress it cannot be overstated just how adorable Bell is but Ais and her friends ended up being a pretty great main cast too

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i watched this and shes good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

I finished Sword Oratoria and it's a really solid, fun fantasy adventure show, not totally surprising but still neat. The blacksmith woman that supports the expedition is very good and I hope they get another season. I will say that I ended up re-watching some of the first season and gosh, it's a lot better looking, both in the slickness of the action and just visual creativity, so I hope they can get the same team or production time or whatever as the first season if they do keep going.

Holy gently caress it cannot be overstated just how adorable Bell is but Ais and her friends ended up being a pretty great main cast too

Apparently a Danmachi arpg has been announced to be in production. No details beyond that, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just hope the game means they're more likely to make more seasons

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

chumbler posted:

Apparently a Danmachi arpg has been announced to be in production. No details beyond that, though.

That world is pretty neat so I could see myself trying that

dogsicle posted:

i just hope the game means they're more likely to make more seasons

:agreed:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So I'm obviously very late to this but man, after going through all of MHA in a week I have to say I really enjoyed it. And it's not a genre I'm crazy about either. The characterization is good and the writing is pretty impressive--a lot of the characters are written as if they were the protagonists in their own shows, and plot nonsense is kept pretty low. I would never have guessed they could pull off a 12-episode tournament arc without any lulls, either, but they did.

Definitely one of the best anime I've seen this year, and better IMO than its shonen cousins OPM and Mob.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To me, it was good

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm impressed they managed to make the faces even more exaggerated than the manga

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sindai posted:

I'm impressed they managed to make the faces even more exaggerated than the manga
Reminds me of the good ol' days of Higurashi and Umineko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_syiduhfEs

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

This was not the D I was hoping for.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Touken Ranbu was okay, the action and pacing was pretty decent, and the characters were written to appeal to the audience instead of trying to stir up drama. It means the stakes and motivations are kind of weak.

The Danmachi spin off annoyed me because they literally answered nothing after the big climactic combat scene. And you didn't even get a vision of the killing blow. All this anticlimax after an excellent setup, the final boss was legit terrifying because it had toys the protagonists had access to.Player characters with monster mechanics are broken by design.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

The one thing about Shaft that I'm glad to see is Akiyuki Shinbo kinda stepping away and letting other people direct things.

i too am glad for a thing that happened over a decade ago

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

i too am glad for a thing that happened over a decade ago
Wait, a decade ago? I thought it only started happening after finishing the Sasami-san anime. When was that, 4 years ago?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/881284119556235265

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Heard they're doing Utena too. Don't gently caress these up, guys.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Halfcoordinated is doing NierA one handed rn at sgdq, good poo poo.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Rangpur posted:

Heard they're doing Utena too. Don't gently caress these up, guys.

They already have the whole series subbed, in 480p, for free on youtube with what seem to be pretty good subs. A BD release would be awesome too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mentat Radnor posted:

They already have the whole series subbed, in 480p, for free on youtube with what seem to be pretty good subs. A BD release would be awesome too.

Oh, poo poo, I know what I'm doing this afternoon. :v:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh, poo poo, I know what I'm doing this afternoon. :v:

They also have Dirty Pair Flash, Emma, Martian Successor Nadesico, Ristorante Paradiso, and some others in playlists on their youtube channel. All in 480p, to encourage you to order their higher resolution DVDs of course.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

I mean, I have the whole series on DVD from like a decade back. I just want a better release.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Are they releasing the movie on Blu-ray as well

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stream happening in ~10 minutes

A Beast in the Skirt
Fate/Apocrypha
Kakegurui
Cleanliness Boy Aoyama-kun
Touken Ranbu

https://cytu.be/r/wanwanime

Will probably toss in one short thing at the end, totally unrelated to seasonal stuff.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, finally got around to watching two of the shows this season, so some first impressions:

Knight's & Magic: This... was not good. I knew what type of show it was coming in, though not the specifics, but wow was the protagonist absurdly hyped up as the bestest ever. This episode consisted almost entirely of exposition, time skips, more exposition, and flashbacks. Also notable for having possibly the dullest Lethal Japanese Crosswalk death I've ever seen. He just looks so bored regarding the car about to run him over. I might stick around for another episode or two just to see if they manage decent mecha fights at least, but if they fail that too I'm out.

Fate/Apocrypha: Also exposition-heavy, but anyone who has seen the last few offerings of Fate shows won't really be surprised by the first episode being so. And so long as it doesn't bother you, at least on the surface the conflict they're setting up seems decently interesting. Animation is definitely not as good as Ufotable's offerings, but it's decent enough and that admittedly was an incredibly high bar. The brief fight at the beginning also didn't really have great fight choreography, but as it was a teaser I'm willing to give that time for now. All in all, I felt it was a pretty decent first episode and one where I'm looking forward to the next episode. I'm also idly curious on the backstory of how Waver still became El-Melloi II in this timeline, given the events of Fate/Zero did not happen, but I suspect it'll remain a mystery as I do not think he's particularly involved in the series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fate/apocrypha's first ep wasn't as exposition heavy as fate/zero, at least. and there was actual character animation and sight gags to break it up, which was nice. still a bit infodumpy but way better than f/z's first episode. helped that it wasn't double length.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If you still hate the first-episode or so expositions you might as well blame the author.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

If you still hate the first-episode or so expositions you might as well blame the author.
the authors for fate/apocrypha and fate/zero were different tho, and also its totally within an anime adaptation's control to downplay those

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

the authors for fate/apocrypha and fate/zero were different tho, and also its totally within an anime adaptation's control to downplay those
Alrighty then

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

READ A loving BOOK

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

READ A loving BOOK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzPrrjRwQE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Kakegurui Ep. 1 was just Kaiji but everyone's insanely horny and out of their mind about how much they love gambling.

so i'll keep watching

cannot overstate it though, I've never seen an OP that horny

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/1775487826075390/

Fully Cooly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Yeah Kakegurui Ep. 1 was just Kaiji but everyone's insanely horny and out of their mind about how much they love gambling.

so i'll keep watching

cannot overstate it though, I've never seen an OP that horny

Likewise for the ED.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the kakegurui OP is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sex? sex???? *yells horny and thirst seventy times*

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was bummed that they were gonna try and sell the dude as the main character of this girls gambling duel show, but I checked the wikipedia page and he's the last guy listed in the Main Character section so this show seems alright

RME posted:

the kakegurui OP is good
yeah it actually is

chumbler posted:

Likewise for the ED.
i checked my phone for a second and then looked back up and her titties were half out and then that was the rest of the ED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nah the dude isn't the main character whatsoever

• Locked thread