Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my RPG sense keeps throwing me into the path of the Yiga Clan because I can't stop talking to random travelers on the road. They're not super tough to beat, they telegraph their attacks and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is hard mode hard enough that you can't just stock your inventory with an endless supply of health regen and power boost meals? I wouldn't mind giving it a go if it prevents this somehow.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

RCarr posted:

99% of the people who got this DLC have beaten the game, or are already deep into it. I wouldn't call it, "really poorly implemented." It's fine for anyone who has put countless hours into the game and just wants to get to the new stuff. People would have just looked it up online anyway.

Well yea, right now this is the case, but for the countless others who buy the DLC fairly early in the coming years, it's a little odd

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Finally beat the Trial of the Sword! First time I've felt real tension in this whole game. Super satisfying.

I never went back to earlier tiers when re-entering; each tier gave me just enough to get through it I think.
Don't miss the hearty radish on (iirc) the second to last resting room. Cook that individually as well as the 3 hearty bass, each to its own dish. Four full restoration meals!
And boy did all that practice deflecting robot beams with shields pay off big time!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for the Trial of the Sword in the early levels? I've gotten to level 11 several times and keep stalling out. I know you're supposed to stick with ranged attacks but I don't have a ton of arrows and getting hit while naked really fucks you up.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Any tips for the Trial of the Sword in the early levels? I've gotten to level 11 several times and keep stalling out. I know you're supposed to stick with ranged attacks but I don't have a ton of arrows and getting hit while naked really fucks you up.

I died there several times myself. One of the worst for sure.
I had more than enough arrows but I was very thorough in combing each floor before moving on. Set your sensor to treasure chests. Or even arrows. As for the floor itself I ignored the raft completely and used ice blocks to navigate from a safe distance. Plenty of headshots, as many from paraglider as I could.

e: Oh and my first resort in earlier rooms was almost always bombs to conserve arrows

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 2, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure how I feel about Master Mode. I like the octorok platforms, but just bumping every enemy up a tier makes some parts a real chore rather than interesting. And some of the small guardians in shrines (like the one west of the Hyrule Field tower with all the big balls and stasis to slam open doors and such) seem to have "can't make a dent" levels of hit points, haven't gotten the champion's tunic yet to verify.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It makes some parts questionably easier.

The road to Zora's Domain feels a whole lot different, and electro potion SIdon give you is a lot more redundant when all the electro lizards are upgraded into stronger, non electro lizards.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you don't care about exploits then

this is pretty much the way to go

I'd be hard-pressed to call it an exploit. The dragons have 100% predictable flight paths, and all spend some time flying below landforms while creating updrafts. It's presumably expected player behavior.

Even though it does make dragon parts about as easy to acquire en masse as apples.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Crawfish posted:

It makes some parts questionably easier.

The road to Zora's Domain feels a whole lot different, and electro potion SIdon give you is a lot more redundant when all the electro lizards are upgraded into stronger, non electro lizards.

There were never any electric ones there anyway. Just ones with Shock Arrows as ammo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spergatory posted:

Motherfucker. Mother FUCKER.

Master Mode Guardians delay their shots.

They start off with regular timing and when they get to low health, they switch to a delayed beam that shoots a second or so after the sound effect that would normally trigger a parry.

MOTHER FUCKERS

:aaa:

So it's not just me! I thought I was just sucking on the timing. (Possible!) Good to know it's not just me!

I've been having a lot of in Master Mode, clawing my way through and always being a misstep from death. It's a touch frustrating doing Shrines, though. Even the Minor Tests of Strength are beyond me, and any time I run into one of those Guardian Scouts, I either have to avoid it, or leave the Shrine. I really can't make a dent in them with my current equipment.

Next plan is to raid Hyrule Castle for the good weapons. I tried getting the shield, but I literally could not do enough damage to the Stalnox's eye before he put it back in his head. Frustrating. I think getting Majora's Mask would also be an excellent idea.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does Impa etc have any different dialogue if you turn up to her door already with the Master Sword and all four beasts downed?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Alxprit posted:

There were never any electric ones there anyway. Just ones with Shock Arrows as ammo.
Good news. Those are all still there. Are essentially one hit kills if you haven't grabbed any more health or levelled any gear.

36 shrines in, almost all of them are exactly the same. Any that had scouts that weren't tests of strength are now noticeably harder since they are all Mk. 2 now.

I can't tell if they are more of them in those shrines or if its just noticeable now because they don't hit like paper anymore.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Pierson posted:

Does Impa etc have any different dialogue if you turn up to her door already with the Master Sword and all four beasts downed?

Yes, but it's like one line. She goes through the whole thing about how Zelda left instructions for you to free the Divine Beasts, then says something like, "Oh, you've already freed them. I guess I shouldn't have worried!"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...goddammit. Turns out it's impossible to play the DLC on the standard 8GB Wii-U, since all updates together go well above the ~4gig or so actually available in storage.

I don't really feel like getting a new HDD just for an old dead console, but I don't really know what else I could do... Maybe I'll just get one, keep it around for all DLC until I'm done with the game, move everything to a reformatted USB stick, then reformat the HDD to use for something else. Just so that I don't feel like I'm spending waaaaaaay too much for this. :( Anybody knows of a better way to play the DLC?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Torquemadras posted:

...goddammit. Turns out it's impossible to play the DLC on the standard 8GB Wii-U, since all updates together go well above the ~4gig or so actually available in storage.

I don't really feel like getting a new HDD just for an old dead console, but I don't really know what else I could do... Maybe I'll just get one, keep it around for all DLC until I'm done with the game, move everything to a reformatted USB stick, then reformat the HDD to use for something else. Just so that I don't feel like I'm spending waaaaaaay too much for this. :( Anybody knows of a better way to play the DLC?

I'm just using a relatively fast usb stick and stuff works okay.

Edit: This guy. Probably don't need a 256 gb version though https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFI1A66/

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 2, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hero's Path is cool. It confirmed my suspicion that I am unable to go in straight lines in this game. And that I fast travel a lot. Also there's a bit where it draws a line repeatedly and it took me a while to work out it was me doing the horse archery thing.

And it looks pretty neat in that I can see where I haven't been without spoiling what might be there. I've got some great big gaps all over the place and now I can tell which mountains I have climbed before climbing them to check.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Master Mode got a lot smoother after the first few hours. The equipment you get from floating platforms is really great, and once you run into Lizalfos and start getting their weapons you're a lot better-equipped to deal with black enemies. The Phantom Armor is also helping a good deal. I wouldn't say its terribly hard at this point but it does force me to think more going into and encounter and use more options that are available to me like potions, elements, sneak attacks, and dropping boulders on dudes' heads. Especially that last one, the Trial of Power shrine had me doing that a lot.
It does make a big difference when the average enemy isn't being dropped in just one or two hits.

The floating a platforms are a really fun addition. Near the Central Hyrule tower I found 3 floating platforms high up connected by bridges. Jumped on in order to do my thing only for a guardian to take aim at me, miss, and hit the third platform instead, blowing it the gently caress up and dropping both the bokoblin and its treasure chest down 100 ft. to the ground. Good poo poo.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 2, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, the start is BRUTAL but I agree that it smoothes out a bit later.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Silver Falcon posted:

Next plan is to raid Hyrule Castle for the good weapons. I tried getting the shield, but I literally could not do enough damage to the Stalnox's eye before he put it back in his head. Frustrating. I think getting Majora's Mask would also be an excellent idea.

there's royal guard weapons in the lockup that will make the stalnox a cakewalk. was a little disappointed the fight wasn't harder

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

havenwaters posted:

I'm just using a relatively fast usb stick and stuff works okay.

Edit: This guy. Probably don't need a 256 gb version though https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFI1A66/

Wait so you can use USB memory sticks? I thought the WiiU could only use external HDDs with a power source.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

pentyne posted:

Wait so you can use USB memory sticks? I thought the WiiU could only use external HDDs with a power source.

I have a usb hard drive with no external power hooked up to my WiiU right now, it takes a second for the WiiU to read the hard drive when I first turn it on but it's had no problems since I got it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

pentyne posted:

Usb memory sticks generally work. Slower ones can be a speed issue for load times etc but a decent one should be fine for reading installed games. Usb hard drives can work but a lot of them (not all) need a y cable to get power over us and data and power from a second usb slot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loaded up master mode and goofed around on the plateau. Holy poo poo these bokoblins are hard. I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to keep playing this because I don't have any weapons left. Every time I go to fight someone, it uses up all my weapons. I've had to avoid everything besides lone bokoblins or maybe a group of stal whatevers. Not even going to attempt the loving stone talus or lynel roaming around. WTF. Though I seem to remember these early weapons being really bad in normal mode, so maybe I just need to get off the plateau and get better weapons.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

pentyne posted:

That's how my roommate plays on my Wii U. I didn't think it'd work, but it's awesome it does.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

R. Guyovich posted:

there's royal guard weapons in the lockup that will make the stalnox a cakewalk. was a little disappointed the fight wasn't harder

This is an excellent tip, thank you! I also have Amiibos I can scan to give me a leg up. New plan is to get Majora's Mask, buy some arrows, and raid the Castle.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wii U really was a neat console in a lot of ways, I like the Switch but it feels like a step back in some departments.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Getting to the last Trial of the Sword level without an ancient arrow is just a kick in the nuts.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Will the voice acting ever stop making feel existentially uncomfortable?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Miracle of Sound just put up a BOTW song. It's pretty good.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

juche avocado posted:

In your heart you know the answer to that one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

juche avocado posted:

Do you plan to stop being a gigantic weirdo any time soon?

The voice acting isn't top notch but goons have this complaint cranked to 11 when it's more like a 3.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Speaking of voice acting, I have japanese voices turned on and after installing the dlc and continuing about my explorations there was a random moment when I heard the King say something while just running about on the overworld, without any subtitles. A few minutes later Zelda did the same thing. I tried doing some Google searches to find out what they were saying but all that comes up are news stories about the voice actors and voice options.

I switched over to English but they've yet to randomly start talking to me again. Anyone know what this was about? Was it dlc related? Perhaps them telling me to go do the trial?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I loaded up master mode and goofed around on the plateau. Holy poo poo these bokoblins are hard. I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to keep playing this because I don't have any weapons left. Every time I go to fight someone, it uses up all my weapons. I've had to avoid everything besides lone bokoblins or maybe a group of stal whatevers. Not even going to attempt the loving stone talus or lynel roaming around. WTF. Though I seem to remember these early weapons being really bad in normal mode, so maybe I just need to get off the plateau and get better weapons.

The Talus is perfectly doable as long as you grab the hammer from the Stasis trial, that one isn't any different from normal mode. The Lynel is definitely supposed to be bypassed,, he's Silver so you're nowhere near having the equipment to kill him.
The Plateau is pretty rough and you'll have to avoid conflict most of the time, once you get off it you will quickly get access to much better weapons and you'll be able to handle most of what the game throws at you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Protip posted:

Speaking of voice acting, I have japanese voices turned on and after installing the dlc and continuing about my explorations there was a random moment when I heard the King say something while just running about on the overworld, without any subtitles. A few minutes later Zelda did the same thing. I tried doing some Google searches to find out what they were saying but all that comes up are news stories about the voice actors and voice options.

I switched over to English but they've yet to randomly start talking to me again. Anyone know what this was about? Was it dlc related? Perhaps them telling me to go do the trial?

I don't know about the king, but when I loaded up after buying the DLC, Zelda told me to go to the Tree.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I soft locked this game today:
I was visiting Hateno Lab and Symin thought I was missing four elite enemy photos, so I bought them and when the game tried to show me the new photos in the compendium it just hangs on the Treasure page and none of the buttons do anything.

I just did it again in fact, so I guess this might be an issue to look out for

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know about the king, but when I loaded up after buying the DLC, Zelda told me to go to the Tree.

Figured it out. It was Daruk's protection and Mipha's grace recharging. Either that is a new audio cue the DLC added or I haven't had those activate much yet to have noticed (may also be because I just got my second one).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do I even want to know about what is apparently wrong with the voice acting?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Do I even want to know about what is apparently wrong with the voice acting?

It's apparently really bad? Although it's nowhere near the level of the CD-i games,so I don't get the hate-boners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well, nearly 200 hours into this game and I just realized the Guardian stalkers are basically Gohma from Zelda 1.