Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SwissCM posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Virtual Reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly2j3rCyg28

Finally VR has caught up to Second Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Any Co-Op suggestions that are on sale?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SwissCM posted:

In 30 years all the little kids who love video games are going to end up super buff by the time they get into high school.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wurstworld is adorable and I love what Anton's doing with H3VR. He seems to have a genuinely great time coming up with fun things to do with the guns he puts in the game and is such an open and active developer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Holy poo poo Super Hot VR is good.

Sadly the game keeps tempting me to go beyond the borders of my safe VR space and I have no smashed my VIVE controller in to my TV not once, not twice, but three times.

But you don't understand, punching mans in slow-motion feels so good

as does dodging bullets like neo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fooz posted:

Any Co-Op suggestions that are on sale?

Ironwolf is brilliant.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AgentF posted:

The difference with aiming in Doom 3 VR is that the gun is basically weightless, there's little spread, and there is a dead-straight laser pointer visibly projecting from the barrel of your weapon. You're already pretty accurate with your first shot but then you just walk the beam and you're done. Aiming in games can be difficult at times (see Onward) but in this game it's extremely easy.

Eh, in the ease of use (one handed) vs more realistic / higher accuracy (two handed rifles) design differences, I'll take accuracy. Two handed weapons and proper firing simulation (like in Onward) are quite a bit more accurate and feel a lot better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w_7F4RpcbA

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
In soundboxing is there a way to recalibrate/recenter it? I had my girlfriend play and she literally cannot reach some of the orbs flying overhead.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

In soundboxing is there a way to recalibrate/recenter it? I had my girlfriend play and she literally cannot reach some of the orbs flying overhead.

Get a taller girlfriend.

Kidding.

It supports rescaling: https://steamcommunity.com/app/517130/discussions/0/133262738415865204/

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

D1E posted:

Get a taller girlfriend.

Kidding.

It supports rescaling: https://steamcommunity.com/app/517130/discussions/0/133262738415865204/
How do I do that though? I couldn't find it in the menus.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

I don't honestly know as I have never messed with it myself, but the patch notes on this page have an animated .gif that shows it being changed:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/517130/announcements/detail/236845278925906778

Worst case try e-mailing the dev?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

SwissCM posted:

You gotta think at least one of these people is just taking huge bong rips and bobbing his head up and down

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Walrus posted:

edit: "FORM" is spectacular as well, though less well priced currently. Would highly recommend them both for a trippy VR day doubleheader

Ah man that looks pretty cool, too bad it's not on sale :[

With the summer sale ending soon I figured I'd throw together a list of stuff I've heard recommended itt that isn't already in the OP (even PSVR and unreleased titles cause why not)

edit: I defaulted crossplatform links to steam store pages since Rift owners can buy it there and run it through SteamVR instead of locking it to the Oculus Store. Vive owners can generally run Oculus Exclusives with Revive but check this list in case you need to disable async reprojection or whatever

Apps/Social:
Google Earth VR
Star Trek: Bridge Crew - (PC/PSVR crossplay)
Werewolves Within - (PC/PSVR crossplay)
Iron Wolf VR
Rec Room - (Free, PC crossplay)
VRChat - (Free, PC crossplay)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - (PSVR supported)

Vehicles:
DiRT Rally - (PSVR supported)
Eagle Flight - (PSVR supported)
X-wing VR Mission - (PSVR exclusive, requires Battlefront)
Everspace

Exploration/Adventure:
Portal Stories VR - (requires Portal 2)
Narcosis - (Horror)
A Chair In a Room: Greenwater - (Horror)
Scanner Sombre
The Solus Project
Obduction
FORM
Detached
Subnautica
Wilson's Heart - (Oculus exclusive)
Edge of Nowhere - (Oculus exclusive)
Lone Echo - (July 20, Final Echo Arena Beta July 6-10) - (PC crossplay)

Novelty/Unique:
Rick and Morty VR
The Unspoken - (Oculus exclusive)
Minecraft VR / Vivecraft
Richie's Plank Experience
Lathe Safety Simulator
Surgeon Simulator VR - (PSVR supported)
Arkham VR - (PSVR supported)
Catlateral Damage - (PSVR supported)
Darknet - (PSVR supported)
Statik - (PSVR exclusive)

RPG
The Mage's Tale - (Oculus exclusive)
Vanishing Realms
VR Dungeon Knight
Fallout 4 VR - (Q4 2017)

Shooters:
Robo Recall - (Free, Oculus exclusive)
SuperHot VR
Resident Evil 7 VR - (PSVR exclusive, Horror)
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades - (aka H3VR)
Quell 4D
Pavlov VR
Doom 3 BFG - VR mod
Doom VFR - (Q4 2017)
Onward
Raw Data
Serious Sams
Bullets and More VR - (Free Demo) - Technically designed for PVP but I'm surprised how much mileage I'm getting out of this due to PVE workshop content and the dev keeps adding guns
Arizona Sunshine - (PSVR supported)
Lethal VR - (PSVR supported)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - (PSVR exclusive, Horror)
Farpoint - (PSVR exclusive, best bundled with Aim controller)
The Art of Fight/Hover Junkers - are dead? confirm/deny?
Aeon? Compound? Bullet Sorrow? Sairento VR? - not sure if they have the goon seal of approval, have not personally tried much

"Fitness"/Melee/make u sweat:
Climbey - (Free Demo)
The Climb
To The Top
Holoball
The Golf Club VR
Fruit Ninja VR - (PSVR supported)
Gorn - (July 10) - Early prototype still free on itch.io
Gladius
Deus Vult
The Thrill of the Fight
Knockout League

Music/"Videos"
Audioshield
Soundboxing
Rez Infinite - (PSVR exclusive)
Thumper - (PSVR supported)
Fantasynth - (Free)
The Chainsmokers Paris VR - (Free, PSVR exclusive)

I know I'm missing a lot, what else is worth checking out? Anybody got recommendations on archery games (there are almost too many to try)?

SwissCM posted:

lmao i'm dead

box me up and ship me home with an hmd on my head so I can VR in the afterlife

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 3, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you want to throw links to each game, I'll replace the game section with your post. Some of the games listed there are bad and dead now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gotta get that Star Trek

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy my first $50 VR game since RE7, dangit

self control..slipping...

Cojawfee posted:

If you want to throw links to each game, I'll replace the game section with your post. Some of the games listed there are bad and dead now.

I'd be happy to, just give me a bit (also want to see what else people add to the list)

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing A Chair in a Room: Greenwater the past few days. One minute I'm laughing because the physics are being all wonky, the next I'm hitting the system button to take a five minute break because I'm too spooked out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rage-saq posted:

Eh, in the ease of use (one handed) vs more realistic / higher accuracy (two handed rifles) design differences, I'll take accuracy. Two handed weapons and proper firing simulation (like in Onward) are quite a bit more accurate and feel a lot better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w_7F4RpcbA

Do you actually hold the gun and aim with two hands?

I was just thinking its cool how lots of VR games have you dual fisting guns, but it gets a bit old and I'd kinda like to just hold a rifle for a change, or use two hands on a single pistol. I guess that wouldn't really work with VIVE controllers though? Maybe?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally did the Gunnasium in H3VR, hot drat does that mode stretch your arms out. My time was 14:35 on the first try.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'd recommend Lethal VR if you ever enjoyed that Police Simulator arcade game. Has some knife throwing rounds that suck, but they slow you down a little bit since the shooting is so fast paced. Also recommend Elite:Dangerous only if you are a spaceship nerd, or have people to play with now that multicrew is there along with regular mp.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zaphod42 posted:

I was just thinking its cool how lots of VR games have you dual fisting guns, but it gets a bit old and I'd kinda like to just hold a rifle for a change, or use two hands on a single pistol. I guess that wouldn't really work with VIVE controllers though? Maybe?

IMO holding a rifle in VR feels awful without a gun rig. With one, it's loving sublime.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes. It's also true that a VR stock really ups the experience to something transcendent.
http://www.protubevr.com is arguably the hands down best VR stock for vive and rift right now.

It's got a good stock for your shoulder and a cheek rest that lets you hold a rifle just like a real rifle. The adjustment points let you size everything to fit you perfectly as well as adapt to multiple guns or other weapons.

The flexibility of the mounts even let you convert it to working with melee games like Deus Vult, which I keep meaning to try one of these days.

The cups are fantastic and strike a great balance of being easy to put the controllers in or take them out without looking and also grip the controllers so they don't fall out.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Zaphod42 posted:

John Wick supports it, and yeah with the Vive wands it gets awkward. Also a good example of 'scale the guns to work with the controller'.

I never have an issue presschecking handguns in H3VR, but in Pavlov or John Wick the controllers get in each others way. Knuckle controllers will 100% fix this so thats the next bit of tech I'm hanging out for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BMan posted:

IMO holding a rifle in VR feels awful without a gun rig. With one, it's loving sublime.

That's what I was figuring. Custom gun controllers would be great, but without that...

rage-saq posted:

Yes. It's also true that a VR stock really ups the experience to something transcendent.
http://www.protubevr.com is arguably the hands down best VR stock for vive and rift right now.

It's got a good stock for your shoulder and a cheek rest that lets you hold a rifle just like a real rifle. The adjustment points let you size everything to fit you perfectly as well as adapt to multiple guns or other weapons.

The flexibility of the mounts even let you convert it to working with melee games like Deus Vult, which I keep meaning to try one of these days.

The cups are fantastic and strike a great balance of being easy to put the controllers in or take them out without looking and also grip the controllers so they don't fall out.

I may have to look into one of those stocks...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

What? What are these words even supposed to mean?

As opposed to in a videogame when you're on the move or in rapid succession but having to do it with a mouse or game controller?

Why are you comparing shooting in VR in a videogame to standing at a range and firing slow shots? what are you :psyduck: What was the point of this post?

"In real life, aiming is pretty difficult" eh not really it isn't. I go skeet shooting or to the rifle range once in awhile, and it ain't rocket science. So even that's wrong. I mean yeah it takes practice and accuracy but what the gently caress are you trying to say?
The point was, compared to a mouse.

E: Have you ever shot a gun?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Aiming isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Hitting something at the ranges in most games is ridiculously easy. Zaphod's crazy but I do agree with him.

:wtc: Aiming at poo poo in real life and hitting them is pretty hard. That's all I'm saying. The original post sounded kinda like he was implying it's easier to hit stuff IRL than in games. Might not be what he was implying, in which case sorry?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Different skillsets tbh, I could see how someone might say that. Playing Superhot VR speed runs is reminding me of playing a lot of Point Blank in the arcade, when you're waving a gun around in actual space vs moving a mouse/analog stick you get to a point where you don't even need to aim anymore. You just know that your gun is lined up with the dude's head without checking the sights, you can feel it

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Anybody got recommendations for VR stocks with bottom mounted magnets? I'm looking at this but $80 sort of gives me pause when knucks are already floating around. (Any devs here hear haiere scuttlebutt on ETA? Q4? Q1?)

PerrineClostermann posted:

:wtc: Aiming at poo poo in real life and hitting them is pretty hard. That's all I'm saying. The original post sounded kinda like he was implying it's easier to hit stuff IRL than in games. Might not be what he was implying, in which case sorry?

His first post was just talking about aiming and pointing your hand/an object at something (a very natural human act, we are pretty good at it) vs mousing a crosshair over it. You seemed to be talking about shooting a handgun bigger than a 22 accurately and rapidly down the sights on the move on a controlled range which yes, takes more way more practice than skeet shooting or shouldering a rifle or drunkenly plinking stuff in a backyard. Hopefully that clears things up

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mellowjournalism posted:

Anybody got recommendations for VR stocks with bottom mounted magnets? I'm looking at ......

That's actually a top mounted (of the controller) stock. I know some people that have them and they are ok. However, one big thing with top mounted solutions is that they cause tracking problems by occluding sensors. Combine this with the fact that you are going to be pulling the controllers fairly close to your face you compound the occlusion issue.
The protube is really the way to go in my opinion, the bottom mounted setup *looks* like it's an odd choice for simulating a rifle in VR but in reality you can't see it once your headset is on and it ceases to matter.
The protube creator is planning on getting his hands on a knuckles and figuring out a way to make new cups that fit the knuckles and you'll be able to order just the cups.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Are you like me and that always-on Oculus window got your jimmies in a rustle? Put this AutoHotKey script in your startup that will check for the window every 5 seconds and hide it. Press ctrl+alt+O to restore/hide after that.

code:
SetTimer CheckOculus,5000	;5 seconds

^!o::				;ctrl+alt+O
IfWinExist Oculus
{
	WinHide Oculus
	SetTimer CheckOculus,On
}
else
{
	WinShow Oculus
	SetTimer CheckOculus,Off
}
Return

CheckOculus:
IfWinExist Oculus
{
	WinHide Oculus
}

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

rage-saq posted:

That's actually a top mounted (of the controller) stock. I know some people that have them and they are ok. However, one big thing with top mounted solutions is that they cause tracking problems by occluding sensors. Combine this with the fact that you are going to be pulling the controllers fairly close to your face you compound the occlusion issue.
The protube is really the way to go in my opinion, the bottom mounted setup *looks* like it's an odd choice for simulating a rifle in VR but in reality you can't see it once your headset is on and it ceases to matter.
The protube creator is planning on getting his hands on a knuckles and figuring out a way to make new cups that fit the knuckles and you'll be able to order just the cups.

Sorry I should've been more clear, I meant top-of-controller and bottom-of-stock which I realize is a dumb way to call it, but either way drat thanks for the info, didn't think about occlusion. I guess my biggest worry is smacking the offhand controller into the tube while reloading in a hurry, hrmm

It seems pretty difficult to figure out cups for the knuckles but if he can do it and sell an easy upgrade that would be really awesome. Might just get the protube and call it a day.

Also lol https://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-wearing-glove/

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ShadowHawk posted:

It's per song. They changed the interface a bit recently, but when you get into a song there should be a menu to your right. Should say some variation of 'play', 'make your own challenge' etc. At the bottom of that menu should be a something to the effect of "scale" or "resize". That'll give you a 2d map of where all the beats in the song will be and you can adjust both where it's centered and by pinching it (like on a phone) the scale of the challenge.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Aiming isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Hitting something at the ranges in most games is ridiculously easy. Zaphod's crazy but I do agree with him.

"In the ranges at most games" is the important part. Most games have tiny areas even in "large" landscapes, both to make mapping and setpiece building easier and because shooting at long range with KB+M is really hard, relatively speaking. This is also why a lot of games give weapons like shotguns artificially short ranges, as otherwise they could complete dominate the small in-game fighting distances.

VR makes the whole aim-and-shoot process a lot easier and more intuitive, but it doesn't help with the mapping issue, which only the real expensive multi-map games (Battlefield series, etc) or the really focused single-map games (like PUBG) have really given any focus.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sintax posted:

Are you like me and that always-on Oculus window got your jimmies in a rustle? Put this AutoHotKey script in your startup that will check for the window every 5 seconds and hide it. Press ctrl+alt+O to restore/hide after that.

code:
SetTimer CheckOculus,5000	;5 seconds

^!o::				;ctrl+alt+O
IfWinExist Oculus
{
	WinHide Oculus
	SetTimer CheckOculus,On
}
else
{
	WinShow Oculus
	SetTimer CheckOculus,Off
}
Return

CheckOculus:
IfWinExist Oculus
{
	WinHide Oculus
}

I recommend to anyone to download this handy tool: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/ it lets you adjust a lot of things, but primarily I set it to stop all oculus services when i don't have the tray tool running. When I want to play some vr i just launch the tool and it starts it all.

I can't stand everything that tries to stay open, so I keep the oculus services off, quit out of steam, uplay closed, etc. I don't know why on earth everything wants to have software running unless you actually want to use it.

Also some other things to note that are on Sale right now, I think most of them are on steam as well, but I don't know offhand if they're on sale there (they probably are):

RPG
Chronos [Oculus Home only] A really beautiful and engaging RPG, very polished and one of the longest single player VR games still despite it being a launch game last year.
Orion Trail VR [The VR version is only on Oculus Home] A star treky take on oregon trail, yadda yadda, its $3 bucks.

Social/App type things
SportsBar VR Biggest problem with this is the player count, but they've said their next update will bring cross play among all the systems so it might pick up steam, dunno.
Kingspray Graffiti Hang out with up to 3 other people, cross play, paint some stuff while people throw your boom box off the roof and bottles at your face.

Things
Pinball FX2 Pinball. In VR. Fun.
Fantastic Contraption Build stuff? Build stuff!
VR Sports Challenge [Oculus Home only] I don't really like sports games at all, never have. For some reason I actually really really enjoy wasting some time in this, specifically the hockey one. I got this for free when touch launched but for 10 bucks I think this is worth it. Definitely surprised me and great as another 'intro to VR' type to show other people.

Music
Rockband VR [Oculus Home only] This ones a ton of fun, but a lot of the songs built in and as DLC so far have been meh for me personally. Still, when its good its amazing. Biggest problem with this one is the big ol' you need the guitar. If you have a rift the adapter came in the touch box and you can use it with any rock band guitar going back to the xbox 360 original, if you order the game with the guitar it will also come with an adapter. Due to the physical nature of connecting a controller to another controller it might be more difficult to use with revive, but people have gotten it to work either using the Touch adapter: http://imgur.com/a/LqxVP, or using ruberbands or something to attach it to the guitar and then adjusting the controller angle setting in steamVR advanced settings for revive so that it matches 1:1.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Tom Guycot posted:

I recommend to anyone to download this handy tool: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/ it lets you adjust a lot of things, but primarily I set it to stop all oculus services when i don't have the tray tool running. When I want to play some vr i just launch the tool and it starts it all.
Opening that link made my browser disappear ;) I'll have to make the code more specific later. I'm a Vive user so the window opens when when ReVive does (every time VR starts), and stays there without being able to minimize to tray or close.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 3, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Was about to suggest striker vr for haptic recoil vr guns but they in fact cost $2800 so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Carmack gave a speech at Quakecon about how joysticks require your brain to effectively do calculus (you have to push the stick all the way, then adjust the amount of stick over time as the crosshair gets where you want) compared to a mouse movement which is a direct linear calculation (you only have to adjust for the sensitivity factor, but there's a single movement you can make that will take you from where you are to having the crosshair on the target). Similarly, being able to use your arm muscles is just that much more intuitive and faster. Instead of having to do the linear calculation to adjust for sensitivity, you just move your hands to the position where they face the target. There's no adjustment at all, its 100% natural intuitive body movement.

We were discussing the context of control schemes for VR games. But yeah, it is easier to point and shoot a gun IRL than it is to manipulate an xbox controller to shoot. Things like auto-aim in the programming kinda hide this and make it a weird comparison, I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Carmack gave a speech at Quakecon about how joysticks require your brain to effectively do calculus (you have to push the stick all the way, then adjust the amount of stick over time as the crosshair gets where you want) compared to a mouse movement which is a direct linear calculation (you only have to adjust for the sensitivity factor, but there's a single movement you can make that will take you from where you are to having the crosshair on the target). Similarly, being able to use your arm muscles is just that much more intuitive and faster. Instead of having to do the linear calculation to adjust for sensitivity, you just move your hands to the position where they face the target. There's no adjustment at all, its 100% natural intuitive body movement.

We were discussing the context of control schemes for VR games. But yeah, it is easier to point and shoot a gun IRL than it is to manipulate an xbox controller to shoot. Things like auto-aim in the programming kinda hide this and make it a weird comparison, I guess.

I feel like this will be interesting in the event that VR players get pinned against non VR players in a MP shooter somewhere along the line. Kind of like people using K&M on consoles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this will be interesting in the event that VR players get pinned against non VR players in a MP shooter somewhere along the line. Kind of like people using K&M on consoles.

I don't think it can really be done, at least without embracing wholly asymmetric gameplay like Evolve.

MS did lots of tests having PC and Xbox players playing together, and they just had to call it. The tech is there to make it work, but it just isn't balanced. You'd have to force console gamers to buy mice and keyboards and then at that point the genie's out of the bottle, so they don't wanna do that. Which is why most console games explicitly do not support mouse and keyboard even though the games have USB ports, and you have to use a XIM to hack it in and make the mouse and keyboard appear to be a controller.

But I really like some of the PSVR demos where one person is in VR and the other people aren't, using normal controllers. That kinda WiiU tablet player + 4 normal players type asymmetric gameplay can be really unique.

I was just talking to a friend of mine about an idea... in the context of game pricing models, I think lots of new things could be done (but you have to be careful and not abuse it). Like, you could have a game that is free2play, but you play as an Earth Defense Force type human that gets easily murdered by a giant Godzilla monster or some space Ants or whatever. Meanwhile other people who fork out $60 get to play as giant Godzilla in VR and stomp around killing tiny little people in masse. Its inherently unfair so that the Godzilla people have an advantage, but... the other people are getting to play for free, and they're getting a different experience, not necessarily a worse one. Like I said, you'd have to be careful you didn't get exploitative with microtransactions or whatever, but I think there's real possibility there and I think offering free play options like that is the best way to combat piracy. Get those people to work for you.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You'd have to force console gamers to buy mice and keyboards and then at that point the genie's out of the bottle.

They'd only really need to buy a wireless mouse. The keyboard really isn't needed, though current controllers aren't particularly ergonomic when holding them with one hand.

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SwissCM posted:

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

The Steam Controller combo of trackpad + inertial detection (for a combination of broad and fine movements) is actually super effective once you get used to it, and you don't have to figure out where to arrange a mousepad on your couch.