Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Should've been CJ :mad:

I think they discourage beaning at the ASG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I never expected I would be able to say Jason Vargas, All-Star.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ego symphonic posted:

Brutal way to lose a game. It was the guy's first major league at bat too. https://twitter.com/rcarlson85/status/881335615337500673

Welcome to the Bigs, kid.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inciarte gets a backup nod, well-deserved

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers made the all star game.

Where's Marwin Gonzalez and Chris Devenski...

Keuchel hasn't thrown since going on the DL, why pick him for the ASG?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Do we know who the final fan vote candidates are? I assume Bryant and Turner among the NL. Do they put Donaldson in the vote for the AL?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also Alex Wood leads the NL in ERA and FIP, is 4th in fWAR, also 9-0 but he didn't make the team either.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

Do we know who the final fan vote candidates are? I assume Bryant and Turner among the NL. Do they put Donaldson in the vote for the AL?
pretty loving stupid to make Turner and Bryant face off in the final vote. Both should have made the team in the first place

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is Trout going to be able to play?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

pretty loving stupid to make Turner and Bryant face off in the final vote. Both should have made the team in the first place

Bryant's having a down year, i'm fine with him assuming he has something to prove

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Only one Brewer, Knebel, who has been the bright spot of our otherwise dim bullpen.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is Trout going to be able to play?

Apparently as of about an hour ago he'll be rehabbing with Inland Empire. So probably not? :shrug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Bryant's having a down year, i'm fine with him assuming he has something to prove
glad to hear you're going to support JT Ginger Jesus for the Final Vote!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

AL:
Andrus
Bogaerts
Gregorius
Morrison
Moustakas

NL:
Bour
Bryant
Rendon
Reynolds
Turner

https://www.mlb.com/all-star/final-vote

I'm gonna be stuffing the ballot for Didi because he is great.

Also apparently 3B for the NL is SS for the AL.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Justin Turner is hitting .388/.473/.565 with elite defense but he's not even a reserve :lol:
That was definitely a WHATTHEFUCK

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

glad to hear you're going to support JT Ginger Jesus for the Final Vote!

I assume we'll have a front office voting party (again). When is it done?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Justin Turner is really drat good and he deserves a chance to go to an All Star Game after the way he reinvented himself late in his career. He's 32 and may not get another shot with all the young talent at 3B in the NL right now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The objectively correct vote is probably Sir Didi but LOMO MASHES TATERS. Hmm.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

bawfuls posted:

Justin Turner is really drat good and he deserves a chance to go to an All Star Game after the way he reinvented himself late in his career. He's 32 and may not get another shot with all the young talent at 3B in the NL right now

Turner should 100% be in the all star game but I imagine he's off because he has only started like two-thirds of the time and is not on any leaderboards because he isn't qualified. It sort of makes him easy to overlook.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Accident Underwater posted:

Turner should 100% be in the all star game but I imagine he's off because he has only started like two-thirds of the time and is not on any leaderboards because he isn't qualified. It sort of makes him easy to overlook.

Plus Game of Thrones isn't due back until after the All-Star game so the cross-promotions with Tormund are kind of out, aren't they?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

Plus Game of Thrones isn't due back until after the All-Star game so the cross-promotions with Tormund are kind of out, aren't they?
yeah but he's been doing some cross promo stuff with that creepy AMPM mascot TOOMGIS

I get why JT didn't win the fan vote, particularly with how crowded 3B is right now in the NL. But reserves are picked through an opaque process that includes player voting and judgement calls by the league. That's when someone needed to say "this guy is in the fourth season of a remarkable mid-career renaissance and he's on track to win the batting title. He needs to be at this game"

I fully expect the reigning NL MVP to win the final vote so tough luck Justin.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 3, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Luigi Thirty posted:

The objectively correct vote is probably Sir Didi but LOMO MASHES TATERS. Hmm.

Didi has been mashing p decently this year and is generally the best and funnest. They should be doing more "Face of MLB" stuff with him tbh.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm happy for Jose Ramirez. He's gone from nearly falling off the roster entirely to being voted to start.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

There's an absurd amount of great 3Bs in the NL right now. Rendon is putting up a .300/.400/.550 line and is 3rd in the league in WAR. Vote Rendon y'all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm sad that Sano lost the 3B lead but Ramirez definitely deserves it so it's not that bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He's thrown, just not off a mound

But yeah no way he actually plays

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Justin Smoak is going to start an All Star Game, a game consisting all of Stars.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I doubt Trout plays even if he is ready. I'd like to see him get an extra 4 days to prep for the regular season games.

Would the Angels get a replacement? None are really deserving to make it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Phillies are bad at baseball

grats Pat Neshek

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hand Knit posted:

Justin Smoak is going to start an All Star Game, a game consisting all of Stars.

gently caress this gay earth

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was aghast when the Astros took Jason Castro over Justin Smoak but I'm ok with it despite Smoak's big year because there's no way he'd still be an Astro anyway by now

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hand Knit posted:

This guy makes Kyle Hendricks look like Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element. :geno:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/881653355117936641

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Atlanta Braves are one game under .500 and a half-game behind the world champion Chicago Cubs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A thing about Jay Bruce getting doubled off today led me to this and I have no idea how this happens :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjymMmpakzo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ego symphonic posted:

There's an absurd amount of great 3Bs in the NL right now. Rendon is putting up a .300/.400/.550 line and is 3rd in the league in WAR. Vote Rendon y'all.
Literally not as good as Justin Turner

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

A thing about Jay Bruce getting doubled off today led me to this and I have no idea how this happens :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjymMmpakzo

Guy on 2nd saw the walk, thought bases were loaded, and started walking to 3rd. Defense had their head in the game. Oops.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

After a few beers and contemplation, I'm still Mad Online about Turner not being an All Star.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If he wasn't injured he would be on the team, and all-star selections can be contract incentives (or used in negotiations). I think there's just a general bonus given out to players that make the roster as well.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants sweep the Pirates in Pittsburgh and it's pretty easy to find the root cause

https://twitter.com/peterhartlaub/status/880579489754951681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

After a few beers and contemplation, I'm still Mad Online about Turner not being an All Star.

Voters underrated how he can work that HBP count.

e: I liked Turner in years past, but the last time I saw him this season he was stepping in front of the plate to swing and blocking the zone with his body like a motherfucker. Looking at gifs from previous seasons, he didn't use to do this.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread