Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

They all seem to be having a blast in the behind the scenes vids and pics.

It's probably because they don't seem to know how to make other characters interesting like 2 "Always angry" or 5 "deer in the headlights engineer girl".

The new cast members are pretty boring as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So is the guy who played one still a cast member? What a strange way to deal with the main character.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Invalid Validation posted:

So is the guy who played one still a cast member? What a strange way to deal with the main character.

It's Dark Matter! Never know what you're gonna get!

Seriously though, the way almost every ep of this show starts I always feel lost or like I didn't see the previous ep.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After Dark for the latest episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1e3U4PzJQ

Edit: nevermind, that's a lovely review show. After Dark is coming tomorrow.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I mean, he hasn't been in the show since Jayce Corso got killed so presumably not? I'm not sure how anyone is confused on this point given he died over a season ago.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

It's Dark Matter! Never know what you're gonna get!

Seriously though, the way almost every ep of this show starts I always feel lost or like I didn't see the previous ep.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I have no idea who the two new people are or how/when they got on the ship.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Polaron posted:

I mean, he hasn't been in the show since Jayce Corso got killed so presumably not? I'm not sure how anyone is confused on this point given he died over a season ago.

He had a cameo this season which implied he was alive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I have no idea who the two new people are or how/when they got on the ship.

Last episode in the mining colony, he worked for their handler and she is his guard. He asked if they could come with. Maybe it's a better show to binge. They expect you to follow it.

M31
Jun 12, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Joe has said multiple times that the story ends with season 5. I'm sure it can be renewed past that, but that's what he has planned for.

Wait what? They actually have the story planned out? That somehow makes it even worse. The last episode was a lot better just by virtue that it had a story arc that lasted for more than 5 minutes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They wrote him out and the show is better for it.

M31 posted:

Wait what? They actually have the story planned out? That somehow makes it even worse. The last episode was a lot better just by virtue that it had a story arc that lasted for more than 5 minutes.

They're bullshitting, the show didn't even have a plot in season 1.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

They wrote him out and the show is better for it.

I agree I just figured they would pull him from alternate reality and let him have a personality. Just strange they would get rid of him when he had such a major role.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

From what I gathered, it was the actors choice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This episode was really good because it dealt with a fun sciencey situation. I really don't care about Ryo anymore. He was better when he didn't have his memories. Now he's just a perpetual rear end in a top hat and it's boring.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Cojawfee posted:

This episode was really good because it dealt with a fun sciencey situation. I really don't care about Ryo anymore. He was better when he didn't have his memories. Now he's just a perpetual rear end in a top hat and it's boring.

I was hoping there was going to be an actual struggle between who Ryo used to be and who he used to used to be. I think he gave one grimace over his girl dying and that was it. Hell, I appreciate them trying to turn a main character into a bad guy even. But because of how they did it you don't feel any more sympathetic with Ryo or understand why he does what he does, because the Ryo we watched in the show is dead and now it is just random space Japan Emperor baddie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Apparently in the latest episode, Anthony Lemke (three) improvised the spoons and hat during the signing scene. Along with a few other scenes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

JossiRossi posted:

I was hoping there was going to be an actual struggle between who Ryo used to be and who he used to used to be. I think he gave one grimace over his girl dying and that was it. Hell, I appreciate them trying to turn a main character into a bad guy even. But because of how they did it you don't feel any more sympathetic with Ryo or understand why he does what he does, because the Ryo we watched in the show is dead and now it is just random space Japan Emperor baddie.

There was a talk in the iZombie thread about if people would revert to who they used to be when they got old memories. I don't think someone who lost all of their memories and got a new personality would just suddenly return to being a notjob just because they got their memories back. I don't revert to being a lovely teenager whenever I remember what a lovely teenager I was.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I agree that the last episode was one of the best for a while, the overarching plot hasn't been the best and I wouldn't mind more "anomaly of the week" episodes. I think one of the things that makes the war so uninteresting is that the different corporations are all presented as all being equally bad, only Space Japan has any personality and it's not a very good one.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

qirex posted:

I agree that the last episode was one of the best for a while, the overarching plot hasn't been the best and I wouldn't mind more "anomaly of the week" episodes. I think one of the things that makes the war so uninteresting is that the different corporations are all presented as all being equally bad, only Space Japan has any personality and it's not a very good one.

They basically need to ramp up the Corp War 100 notches. Like we saw all this crazy tech around, blink drives that create spacetime bubbles and can reach alternate realities, the brain control squids, nanobot augmented humans, a piece of tech made a time loop for god's sake, you can just casually clone people across light years (imagine popping out 1000 copies of your best tactical warrior?) etc. The Corp War needs to be INSANE, like stars blinking out insane. Then, this would be a plot I could get behind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think that's why they need aliens, fighting corporations is boring overall and that leaves them with having to focus on the immediate cast too much and their is barely anything there.
I always feel like for a show that starts without aliens, to add aliens would be a huge disappointment and signal that the writers are desperately making poo poo up as they go along because they used up all their ideas already.

M31 posted:

Maybe they just have the story of the corporations and other powerful entities worked out and we just never see it because the protagonists aren't important enough to be involved in any major way. After it's all over there'll be a tie-in guide that reveals all the interesting things that were happening while we watched some small-time criminals bumbling around.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hate to break it to you but (big future spoiler) aliens are coming

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Episode

Give It Up, Princess

The crew must rescue kidnapped royalty to retrieve a file which could halt intergalactic war.

Remember, Killjoys season premier is tonight before Dark Matter.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I always feel like for a show that starts without aliens, to add aliens would be a huge disappointment and signal that the writers are desperately making poo poo up as they go along because they used up all their ideas already.

Definitely can but the faceless corporations in this show are bad villains. If they had a compelling actor to play the head of one of them it might be alright. I don't think the writers of this show have the chops to write more than one or two decent characters so aliens should be added.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Southern belle android :swoon:

Knives 1 Black mentor 0 :japan: I guess this will lead into the people rising up and murdering Ryo / the fall of House Ishida.

e: I guess no one is making a Killjoys thread? Johnny's plotline is pretty poo poo imo. lol they couldn't even get the actress back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 1, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gonz posted:

If only Smug Shitlord Wesley Crusher was still on this show, he could have solved the problem of the static warp shell of nothingness.

Jesus, I didn't even realize that was him. Great casting, though, he does hateable very well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As soon as the episode started I thought to myself "Her hands probably aren't even handcuffed in that chair. This is a trap. She's in on it." And lo and behold, I was right at the end of the episode. These tropes are too easy.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I was happy to see the return of the Canadian space forest

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just hope Canadian space quarry makes an appearance soon

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Space Crabs posted:

I just hope Canadian space quarry makes an appearance soon

It did but on the premier of Killjoys!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fat Lowtax posted:

I was happy to see the return of the Canadian space forest

Don't forget a Toronto Warehouse

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Its crazy how good this show gets when Android switches into human mode

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She, three and six are the best actors.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

GreenNight posted:

Here is the Dark Matter after show, After Dark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Er-bJ_NGUs
A laugh track? Really?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did this show ever get better?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This season has been an uptick in quality, but it's the same show. Depends what you're looking for. It'll never be on the level of The Expanse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the biggest problem the show has as a whole is a lack of a strong villain. Now they're trying with 4/Ryo but they keep pushing him as conflicted to what is going on. Also they keep talking about this whole "war" but we just aren't seeing it as the Raza is able to just continue along and do whatever they want.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I think their worldbuilding just sucks. I know there are some corporations who are at war but have no idea what they're fighting over. Then there's Space Japan where as far as I can tell their only real goal is to just continue being Space Japan. Most of the main characters aren't nearly strong enough to carry this and like you said no "oh poo poo" sort of villain.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I don't even know who Space Japan's fighting beyond nebulous "enemies".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think their worldbuilding just sucks. I know there are some corporations who are at war but have no idea what they're fighting over. Then there's Space Japan where as far as I can tell their only real goal is to just continue being Space Japan. Most of the main characters aren't nearly strong enough to carry this and like you said no "oh poo poo" sort of villain.

Don't worry, Ferrous corp is only 6 months away from winning the "war". That has all been offscreen lol

McTimmy posted:

Also this

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah it's like the show its trying to do a space war arc but there's not interesting & developed about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

McTimmy posted:

Their own innate incompetence due to the intrinsic weakness of a feudal system.

• Locked thread