Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think the base premise is pulled from whenever Marc is trying to build Gallagher up and telling him that he's legendary or whatever and Gallagher goes on his whole, "well then why don't I have my own TV show if I'm so famous?" rant. And later on he shits on Jay Leno's comedy and asks "Why don't I have the Tonight Show?" It definitely has the feel of "I can do..." even if he doesn't say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The Mark Walhberg impression is my favourite mostly because I like to do it myself (the voice at least). What makes the WHM impressions so strong is the creativity they bring to the character. Even very scarce impressions like the Butterfly Effect writers are memorable because they are characterized so well. They make a return in Freddy vs Jason, which relistening to it recently, is one of my favourite WHM episodes.

That brings up something interesting about my listening to WHM and absorbing second-hand fandom. I don't care about all those slasher horror films like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, but I can appreciate those movies through the WHM, so as I can borrow their love for the Jason movies through their Friday the 13th rankings episode, I can borrow their disappointment in movies like Freddy vs Jason.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hockles posted:

My favorite voice is "union guy" who is also Charles Bronson.
It's the Simpons Wiseguy character.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I know, but it's still my favorite.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm a fan of their Busey. Mostly because it inexplicably is also their Holly Hunter.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does anyone remember the Mail Bag episode title that included the story of the kid meeting Segal and him being a massive dick to them?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Dou-blay indemitty!

I had to pause the episode to laugh when it kept coming up

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Commissar Canuck posted:

Does anyone remember the Mail Bag episode title that included the story of the kid meeting Segal and him being a massive dick to them?

It was DJ DEA Agent. May 2016.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Hockles posted:

It was DJ DEA Agent. May 2016.

Thanks!

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

One of my favorite WHM jokes of all time is Andrew saying Eric's Christopher Lambert was turning into Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

That was the precise moment I fell in love with this show.

I also love how the impressions are solidly Andrew and Steve. Eric and Chris' impressions are lovably awful, except for Eric's weirdly great Trump voice.

My favorite recurring character is Jesse Ventura. "Did I tell you about the time Bill Goldberg and I uncovered that Illuminati plot?"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tender Bender posted:

Ok I listened to the entire Gallagher interview and I didn't hear the "I can do________, Marc!" thing.

Artists impression of that interview

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

During the new Mail Bag, I laughed WAY too hard at the James Mason's Dick jokes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

thrawn527 posted:

During the new Mail Bag, I laughed WAY too hard at the James Mason's Dick jokes.

:zombie:Hanks:zombie:Hanks:zombie:Hanks:zombie:Hanks!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Baka-nin posted:

:zombie:Hanks:zombie:Hanks:zombie:Hanks:zombie:Hanks!

Yeah, that really painted a picture.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ben is just terrible but I don't know why.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Ben Worcester is a national treasure. Try Blame It On Outer Space sometime.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Battle Rockers posted:

Having Ben on the show really highlights how smart the guys are with culture and history. During the third (?) Transformer episode, I think Steve or Eric made a joke about robot Sirhan Sirhan turning into a coffee maker and hiding in a kitchen until the coast was clear and everyone cracked up. Ben, like me, said something like "What the heck are you talking about?" and they explained how Sirhan Sirhan assassinated Robert Kennedy in a kitchen. "Oh yeah!" Every so often they drop some really arcane jokes that take a few seconds for me to pick up on but I really appreciate it. Makes me feel S-M-R-T.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Battle Rockers posted:

I love BIOOS and Ben is okay on that sometimes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

That was the precise moment I fell in love with this show.

I also love how the impressions are solidly Andrew and Steve. Eric and Chris' impressions are lovably awful, except for Eric's weirdly great Trump voice.

My favorite recurring character is Jesse Ventura. "Did I tell you about the time Bill Goldberg and I uncovered that Illuminati plot?"

The Ventura impression is what got me on board. The Abraxas episode is one of the first I listened to and I've been hooked ever since.

"I'm just counting all of these tens."

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

ravenkult posted:

I love BIOOS and Ben is okay on that sometimes.

Ben is also a lot of fun on Hooked on TJ Hooker.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

SilentChaz posted:

Ben is also a lot of fun on Hooked on TJ Hooker.

Does that take a while to get going? I started listening to the first episode but didn't really get drawn in. Which is weird, because Eric is the best part of WHM, but maybe he's at his best when he can play off the others?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hooked on TJ Hooker has a totally different vibe to it than WHM. We Hate Movies feels like it's taking place in a messy living room, all ratty love seats and hand me down easy chairs, a tinge of pot smoke in the air, a couple half finished pizzas on the coffee table. Hooked on TJ Hooker feels like it's in the rec room down the hall, all wood panel and stained glass lights, a big corduroy couch, some banquet beers in hand, a broadcast TV football game on an inaudible volume.

I just finished Hooked on TJ Hooker today and eagerly anticipate my next chance to wear the blue :keke:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I like having Ben on the show better than Cabin :ohdear:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A Proper Uppercut posted:

ew

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I somewhat agree with the opinion that Cabin and Eric have similar comedic styles that overlap. I say this because when going through the old catalogue before Stephen was in every episode, it's pretty clear the best episodes have Stephen in it. He brings a certain energy to the rest of the guys and seem to make them want to be goofier.
Some of the episodes without him are just so dry and monotone.
I don't particularly like Ben, he went on a rant that was just well-treaded internet pedantry that wasn't funny or very WHM-like. Mid-sentence he should've been asked to put down his tweet.

For reference, my favorite episodes (that i've listened to quite a few times) are Hard Target (Brimley, secret Gambit movie, saying dadd-e), Timecop (beep-boop-bop), Abbraxas, Hider in the House, Mortal Kombat... there's only a few clunker episodes in a very long and wide album of great hits. It's only when the guys really talk about something they have no interest or frame of reference (dungeons & dragons comes to mind) that makes for eyerollers. Opinion zone.

Like, the idea of having multiple listens to this podcast about shows and more or less knowing the jokes and still looking forward to them... I don't know, it's just magic.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 4, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Steve is my fave

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
It also didn't help that the Andrew-Chris-Eric trio seemed to pick up the most soul-crushing movies, like Nukie.

But yes, Steve seems to bring a more upbeat energy to the episodes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think there's also something to the idea that they get better episodes out of more interesting movies. Stuff like Suicide Squad just sucks the energy out of them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I don't care which of them it is, I just prefer three to four despite that not being the traditional improv troupe size.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That was one of the funniest mailbags yet. I think they need another outlet of them just shooting the poo poo, because I think it's sometimes better than the regular episodes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sneakin' in barbecue sauce

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Jesus Whistlin Hands Christ is my new favorite thing to yell when I'm frustrated.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I rewatched The Fly recently, and there is dick. Jeff Goldblum keeps it in a jar in the background after it falls off.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm afraid to listen to this episode because I don't want my belief that Encino Man is good to be altered

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Midnightghoul posted:

I'm afraid to listen to this episode because I don't want my belief that Encino Man is good to be altered

Don't worry, it's a reccomend

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
But is it a recommend, buuuuudy?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They should do Biodome next.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They should do the old Fist of the North Star live action movie. I'd also like to hear their Over the Top live thing, I wonder if/when that will become available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Firstborn posted:

They should do the old Fist of the North Star live action movie.

Oh my god yes