Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

qirex posted:

The thing I find funny about the audiophile media and communities is they'll put up with the most insane tweako garbage because those are the exact companies that advertise in the magazine or on their site. I mean look at 6moons:

Of course they're going to bias conversation towards this crap, it's how they make all their money.

[Side note I think I used to eat a brand of ramen called "Bakoon"]

hmm i need my AC triple enhanced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone had an early sample and did some simple tests, and the results looked interesting. As said before, no crosstalk, and ostensibly the frequency response is as near to a flat line as can be (no dips at the low end and nearly nothing at the high end). Still gotta wait for proper RMAA results whenever that card gets sent to reviews in larger numbers.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.sg/search?q=RMAA

According our favorite missing in action audio mythbuster nwavguy RMAA is a worthless testing tool, and crosstalk performance is bottlenecked by the 3.5mm jack itself.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

The thing I find funny about the audiophile media and communities is they'll put up with the most insane tweako garbage because those are the exact companies that advertise in the magazine or on their site. I mean look at 6moons:

Of course they're going to bias conversation towards this crap, it's how they make all their money.

[Side note I think I used to eat a brand of ramen called "Bakoon"]

I seem to remember there was a GBS poster called BAKOON too... Was he named for ramen or audiophilia?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Palladium posted:

According our favorite missing in action audio mythbuster nwavguy RMAA is a worthless testing tool, and crosstalk performance is bottlenecked by the 3.5mm jack itself.
Oh dear, that's a handful.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Palladium posted:

Is that a feature of sharing a ground connection or just the physical closeness of the jack?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Panty Saluter posted:

Is that a feature of sharing a ground connection or just the physical closeness of the jack?

It's going to be a bunch of things. Anywhere there's close wires in parallel, you're going to have some kind of crosstalk. The plug itself doesn't even put the ground between the left and right channels. Then... who knows what the wires look like leading to and from the jack.

Someone's gotta offer headphones with twisted pairs for the individual headphone channels... If they don't, you just found your license to print money with audiophiles.

Now the real question is, is there more crosstalk from audio passing through your melon, than -80db from the amp, and cabling.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Stereo music almost never has a sound in one ear only anyway. Unless something is broken chasing down crosstalk has to be one of the worst ways to get better sound.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Nerobro posted:

Someone's gotta offer headphones with twisted pairs for the individual headphone channels... If they don't, you just found your license to print money with audiophiles.

lol if you don't think they'll retort with some silly bullshit about the twisting changing the pitch or phase or timing or soundstage. I mean they won't even agree to use balanced cables because magic voodoo reasons.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

lol if you don't think they'll retort with some silly bullshit about the twisting changing the pitch or phase or timing or soundstage. I mean they won't even agree to use balanced cables because magic voodoo reasons.

Some, sure. But the other half will swear by them. You could also make claims (legitimate ones) that twisted pair prevents outside electromagnetic fiels from introducing signals into your crystal clean audio. :-)

Edit: Twist one cable one way, the other the other way. To "cancel out soundstage differences".

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Some, sure. But the other half will swear by them. You could also make claims (legitimate ones) that twisted pair prevents outside electromagnetic fiels from introducing signals into your crystal clean audio. :-)

No, because that actually has some scientific merit behind it, even if not much. Anything that's scientifically proven to actually help with anything is bullshit. Speaker cable stands to keep them off the floor, harmonically balanced, of course, are much better because you can't prove it with science, only with golden ears.

Edit: had misread, thought you said something about cosmic woo woo

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oh no, this is firmly tongue in cheek. :-) "Some of them" would buy it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Nerobro posted:

Edit: Twist one cable one way, the other the other way. To "cancel out soundstage differences".

Aren't the twisted pairs in a CAT5/6 cable actually twisted in specifically different lengths to achieve this very thing? I swear I remember reading about that in some class a lifetime ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

synthetik posted:

Aren't the twisted pairs in a CAT5/6 cable actually twisted in specifically different lengths to achieve this very thing? I swear I remember reading about that in some class a lifetime ago.

Each direct pair of wires, that is each pair where one carries a signal and is matched up with a wire carrying the exact opposite (you do this to make for a larger total signal over long ranges without having to use a lot of power) is twisted together at the same rate. Each successive pair is twisted at different lengths in order that pairs won't pick up on the same noise in the same way as another pair.

This is the most common pattern of standard twistings, but there's no particular reason you need to use that specific thing, so long as you make the twists stay out of sync between pairs reliably. You're also allowed by standards to not even bother to twist the pairs for something like up to 10 meters at once, to meet needs like flat cables or simply cheaper cables, though obviously those cables will be more sensitive to local noise:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

synthetik posted:

I was thinking left versus right. But yes, the turns per inch changes a little. :-)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

shortspecialbus posted:

No, because that actually has some scientific merit behind it, even if not much. Anything that's scientifically proven to actually help with anything is bullshit. Speaker cable stands to keep them off the floor, harmonically balanced, of course, are much better because you can't prove it with science, only with golden ears.

Edit: had misread, thought you said something about cosmic woo woo

I like how they claim jitter is a big problem on typical lower than -100 dB levels even when just how anything else is loving loud in relative terms from the music itself to the environmental noise. Bonus points when their specialty audiophile grade gear actually performs even worse than the unclean mass market "crap" they loathe so much.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

McIntosh announced an integrated amp with what I'd assume is a teeny bit of overkill on the D/A side:

quote:

a built-in 32-bit DAC, and a DA1 Digital Audio Module with USB input that can support DSD256 and DXD 384kHz files.
The good part is that they guarantee it will drive any speakers no matter the impedance. Sounds like a challenge to me. At least it looks nice for the $10k it costs [is it sad that doesn't even sound like much money by the standards of this thread?]

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

McIntosh announced an integrated amp with what I'd assume is a teeny bit of overkill on the D/A side:

The good part is that they guarantee it will drive any speakers no matter the impedance. Sounds like a challenge to me. At least it looks nice for the $10k it costs [is it sad that doesn't even sound like much money by the standards of this thread?]

Virtual resistor tech has been around for about 12 years in the 'pro' world, if you build your amplifier to deliver enough voltage then you can fiddle the impedance to match the 'ideal' load automatically with DSP. It also alters the tone of the speaker amp combo. If it was described to an audiophile that way they'd probably heave, mind.

quote:

Power Guard® that monitors and adjusts the sound wave at the speed of light to prevent harsh sounding distortion and clipping that could damage your speakers

I love marketing departments - so that'll be an optical compressor, then:
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/la-2a-analog-obsession/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

Virtual resistor tech has been around for about 12 years in the 'pro' world, if you build your amplifier to deliver enough voltage then you can fiddle the impedance to match the 'ideal' load automatically with DSP. It also alters the tone of the speaker amp combo. If it was described to an audiophile that way they'd probably heave, mind.
It's even more insane than that

It has a separate set of speaker terminals for each resistance rating :psyduck:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If they did it the right way they might actually have to spend money on the construction, which would eat into their million percent profit marigin.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Mac have long grossly overbuilt things. I think they're trying to recall the glory days of tubes here with separate output taps.

OTOH they make soundbars now so it probably is all fakery v:v:v

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I've got this amp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014FASL1A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these headphones:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-360-Special-Gaming-Headset/dp/B01LDTRJG4

and I'm very happy with both products.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
lol knobsound

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

QC PASSED

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Well at least you only paid $50 for the privilege of owning a lovely tube amp

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EEVBlog took that amp apart, the tubes don't do anything useful except adding distortion.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Those tubes are infected with phazon.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

EEVBlog took that amp apart, the tubes don't do anything useful except adding distortion.
:negative:

Thanks, just ripped it off my desk and will return it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Pretzel posted:

lol put this video on for something to listen to while making lunch and at the end Dave gets an analog designer to confirm his conclusions and the designer's take is gold:

"The circuit would sound better, measure better, and be a tenth the cost if it only used the 5532."

(the 5532 being the opamp which actually drives the headphones)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there ever a reason to use tubes other than for audiophoolery or "it looks cool"?

I can at least respect the latter reason.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there ever a reason to use tubes other than for audiophoolery or "it looks cool"?

I can at least respect the latter reason.

Nope.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well that's the only reason most people buy a tube "amp" in the first place, so it honestly fits the market.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Come on, there are plenty of reasons to use tubes! However, just about all of them are along the lines of "you are a manufacturer and want to charge more money than is reasonable".

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

grack posted:

Come on, there are plenty of reasons to use tubes! However, just about all of them are along the lines of "you are a manufacturer and want to charge more money than is reasonable".

Honestly, fishmech's comment was correct. Idiots choose to "color" the sound their headphones produce, rather than have them produce an output as flat and close as possible to the original recording.

So manufacturers build tube amps which literally add distortion to the audio signal, and imbeciles will then spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on them instead of a perfectly capable solid-state device (that adds no distortion) so that they can post smugly about their "warm" or "tubey" sound signature on Head-Fi.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So it's basically the same reason some people think vinyl sounds better than formats which are technically truer to the source, because the RIAA equalizer curve plus the natural distortion of the medium gives it a distinctive sound.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If it sounds so great, people can just run a DSP, or the producers do it for them on the source material.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

They do look cool, tho

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Collateral Damage posted:

So it's basically the same reason some people think vinyl sounds better than formats which are technically truer to the source, because the RIAA equalizer curve plus the natural distortion of the medium gives it a distinctive sound.

Also nostalgia. Don't underestimate nostalgia.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tubes are great for making music, though! Just listen to this loving organ at the beginning of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZPNv0Df9c

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

grack posted:

Also nostalgia. Don't underestimate nostalgia.

It's more fun to dig through crates than scrolling through spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

Tubes are great for making music, though! Just listen to this loving organ at the beginning of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZPNv0Df9c

Jon Lord in the house. Jazzing up the early '70s rock scene like a mother fucker.

e: poo poo. mispelled his name.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 9, 2017