Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Gaj posted:

Hello thread, I just slapped together the overclockers dream from the PC parts thread; https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409 and generall have an i5K, 16 gigs ram, new Asus z270 mobo, ge1080, and 2 sdds. I have 2 Samsung ssds, one 120gigs that serves as my OS drive, and that is working fine. My other is an 850 EVO 500gig, and windows will not recognize it, even though Samsung Magician does. Suggestions?

Have you initialized the drive? Open up Disk Management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Is there any risk to buying a Toshiba XG3 (OEM version of the RD400) 1TB NVME drive to use as the OS drive in my desktop? I seem to remember the OEM version of some Samsung NVME drive had some real issues being detected in Windows, among some other issues.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I know next to nothing about SSDs, right now my PC has a pretty old 1 TB hard drive holding everything. From my understanding I can get an SSD and put a lot of the important things on that (operating system, games), but store the rest of files (pictures, video, etc.) on the extra hard drive and have access to both while the SSD vastly speeds up loading for games / boot / etc. Is this right, and if so, is there a good SSD on the market right now people recommend? I noticed the OP hadn't been updated since 2016 and not sure if tech just hasn't improved or if there's new info. Thanks all!

You're understanding is correct. The recommendations at the bottom of the 2nd post of this thread are good and actively updated based on feedback from this thread.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Got a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB after reading this thread. Made it the primary drive on my XPS 8910, set AHCI on and enabled UEFI (Old setup was legacy due to bringing OS drive over with no changes). Reloaded Windows 10 and updated to latest Insider version (16226).

I thought my old SSD was fast. This is stupid fast.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GPF posted:

Got a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB after reading this thread. Made it the primary drive on my XPS 8910, set AHCI on and enabled UEFI (Old setup was legacy due to bringing OS drive over with no changes). Reloaded Windows 10 and updated to latest Insider version (16226).

I thought my old SSD was fast. This is stupid fast.

If you haven't already - there are new drivers that improve performance even more: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/samsung-nvme-ssd-driver-download.html

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

WhyteRyce posted:

Besides the shortage, apparently more and more companies are converting over to slower TLC. So maybe used MLC drives are starting to command a premium.

Those NAND manufacturers are laughing their way to the bank until China starts dumping homegrown NAND by the shiploads by 2019.

In fact China's Achilles heel in electronics supply chain is their lack of fabs that it has become a national strategic objective to acquire them by all means necessary.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Intel released the 545s recently, a SATA drive. It uses TLC, but is Intel made as opposed to the flash in the 540.

Here's anandtech's (rushed) take on it http://www.anandtech.com/show/11571/the-intel-ssd-545s-512gb-review-64layer-3d-tlc-nand-hits-retail. Seems to be a good competitor vs. the Samsung 850 Evo?

e. Also, can someone please talk me out of buying a 960 Pro

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 29, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
960 Evo is also a fine choice.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Actuarial Fables posted:

do you work at a datacenter

if not, get the evo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

Intel released the 545s recently, a SATA drive. It uses TLC, but is Intel made as opposed to the flash in the 540.

Here's anandtech's (rushed) take on it http://www.anandtech.com/show/11571/the-intel-ssd-545s-512gb-review-64layer-3d-tlc-nand-hits-retail. Seems to be a good competitor vs. the Samsung 850 Evo?

StorageReview had repeatable lockups with it and suggests waiting until the first firmware revision.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Actuarial Fables posted:

Sure. What's your use case? If you can say a few things about your expected workloads (games, media editing etc) and frequency of those workloads ("I play games three times a week" vs "I poopsock two mmos simultaneously while moving huge movies on and off the drive constantly") we can fudge some math together on endurance and projected time saved.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Sorry to bother y'all again; I need to replace my dying SSD, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the 850 Evo (~USD 170) and the 960 Evo (~USD 234).

From what I've read, unless I'm working with 4k video or copying gigantic files on a daily basis, I'm not going to see much 'real world' difference between the two. At the same time, I think the recommendation was "If you can afford the price difference, go for the NVMe".

64 bucks is quite a bit of money though; is it bound to come bite me in the rear end a year from now if I just go for the 850 now? The only video work I do is for LPs, and I'm not going to be doing anything involving 4k for the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry to bother y'all again; I need to replace my dying SSD, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the 850 Evo (~USD 170) and the 960 Evo (~USD 234).

From what I've read, unless I'm working with 4k video or copying gigantic files on a daily basis, I'm not going to see much 'real world' difference between the two. At the same time, I think the recommendation was "If you can afford the price difference, go for the NVMe".

64 bucks is quite a bit of money though; is it bound to come bite me in the rear end a year from now if I just go for the 850 now? The only video work I do is for LPs, and I'm not going to be doing anything involving 4k for the foreseeable future.

Thanks.

For starters, what's your motherboard? Can it take an m.2 NVMe drive?

$64 difference is pretty steep. If you wouldn't see too much of a difference between these two devices IRL, paying a 37% "NVMe is cooler" tax doesn't *seem* like the right path. Hell, for that price difference, you could grab an extra little 16GB Optane drive to gently caress around with and still have $20 left over.

Your asceticism here is probably well founded.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Potato Salad posted:

For starters, what's your motherboard? Can it take an m.2 NVMe drive?

$64 difference is pretty steep. If you wouldn't see too much of a difference between these two devices IRL, paying a 37% "NVMe is cooler" tax doesn't *seem* like the right path. Hell, for that price difference, you could grab an extra little 16GB Optane drive to gently caress around with and still have $20 left over.

Your asceticism here is probably well founded.

Yeah, it's a GA-Z170M-D3H, which according to the specs page has:
- PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)

Which is why I started looking into the 960 in the first place, but I just read the 'raw numbers', got my blinders on and never checked for actual 'real world' performance differences, but then I saw the price difference, googled a bit, and... well, here we are. :v:

I'll probably go for the 850; can't really justify a ~65 buck difference for an eventual potential benefit.

Thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Once you get to "well gently caress me this is quick" there's little point going further.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lol look at this dumb poo poo

240 or 480GB in massive idiotic aic :rolleyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

But wait, there's more:

Siochain posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss drank our backups

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

P3700 smoothie!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

priznat posted:

lmao that's the bumper nuts of SSDs

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Potato Salad posted:

But wait, there's more:

I hadn't even realized I made the thread title hahah.
And now I'm giggling like an idiot again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whyyyyyyyy: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/apacer-launches-pt920-commando-pcie-nvme-ssd.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

After thinking about it, it's actually not a bad way to differentiate yourself from 900 other taiwanese misc pc hardware makers. Take whatever crappy controller they use and cheap NAND and wrap it in that ugly shell and hey, it's kinda unique.

Also fun to laugh at.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm surprised no one has done that design for a GPU yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is all "hardware enthusiast" stuff covered in making GBS threads dicknipples still or has the industry grown out of that?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Latest trend is to add blinking multicolored LEDs to the dicknipples.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are the SanDisk "SSD Plus" drives any good? There's a bunch on sale and I noticed a few other Sandisk drives in the recommended list.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ToxicFrog posted:

Are the SanDisk "SSD Plus" drives any good? There's a bunch on sale and I noticed a few other Sandisk drives in the recommended list.

No, avoid the Z410 as well. Piles of poo poo they don't even have DRAM. Get the Ultra II if you're buying Sandisk

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

There have been multiple revisions of this drive. The WD Blue drives are rebagded SanDisk X400s and with the most recent firmware update (which fixed their initial issues) are recommended if the 850 EVO is too pricey for you. Also, SanDisk no longer technically exists since WD bought them so they could "get with the times" and skip having to engineer their own SSDs.

The Intel 545S might be recommendable once it gets its first firmware update.

-----

Samsung drives aren't going to get any cheaper any time soon: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-invests-16-billion-euro-in-new-chip-factories.html

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 5, 2017

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

That Apacer SSD looks like a stapler.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

A relatively nontechnical friend of mine in terms of software is looking into getting an SSD (I recommended a Samsung 850 EVO). I'm nowhere near them in person and while they can certainly hook it up (they built the computer themselves) the OS transfer has me vaguely worried. As someone who hasn't run Windows on bare metal for a decade (Linux guy), I know nothing about transferring a Windows OS across drives for Windows 7 or such. Can I suggest they just use the Samsung migration tool, or is it better for them to do it manually with Clonezilla as mentioned on the first page? (I mostly think of the complicated part of leaving behind all the video files and such that aren't going to fit on the SSD being hard to do with Clonezilla.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung migration tool, or Macrium Reflect Free. Is he getting an SSD the same size as his current OS drive?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 7, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Samsung migration tool, or Macrium Reflect Free. Is he getting and SSD the same size as his current OS drive?

It's smaller. He's going from like a 2 TB hard drive to a 500 GB SSD as the boot drive, and keeping the old hard drive in the case to store bulk data on.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Samsung migration tool, or Macrium Reflect Free. Is he getting an SSD the same size as his current OS drive?

Thanks for bringing this up. I tried Macrium but it hosed up and didn't setup boot manger properly. Maybe it was because I ordered it to expand the partion to the larger drive.

They are both Samsung drives so that should have been what I should have used.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Is it worth $60 to go from a 525GB crucial MX300 to a 500GB 850 EVO (both are M.2) ?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The 850 EVO is way faster: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/2977vs3642
Worth $60 bux to you? I dunno. My guess is you won't notice the difference.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The new Intel 545S compares closest to the 850 Pro in speed (and slightly slower than the EVO in other benches, just to ensure you get that unique Intel SSD experience), and costs way less, but only comes in a 512GB SKU at the moment, and StorageReview advised waiting for the first firmware update. Unlike their last abortion of a consumer SSD, this one at least uses second-gen Intel 3D NAND.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 10, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm going to be building a 4K editing rig for my brother soon. The mainboard I'm going to use has M.2 slots, so I'm looking to get an M.2 SSD for his main drive — he has a Plex/NAS server with 8TB of storage for footage archival. I'm looking at the $100 Crucial MX300 275GB and the $110 Western Digital Black 256GB. Which one should I be getting between those 2? Or should I be looking at something else?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

Why would I want an A1 upper on my SSD? Clearly a flattop is superior

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Why would I want an A1 upper on my SSD? Clearly a flattop is superior

Slap an aimpoint on there and GTG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

priznat posted:

Slap an aimpoint on there and GTG

No irons? You'll be dead in the streets