Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Giants sweep the Pirates in Pittsburgh and it's pretty easy to find the root cause

https://twitter.com/peterhartlaub/status/880579489754951681

This is your reminder that Bob Uecker ran into a furry convention and talked about it during his broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bob James posted:

This is your reminder that Bob Uecker ran into a furry convention and talked about it during his broadcast.

One of baseball's greatest moments

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Literally not as good as Justin Turner

I was going to make a smug argument about rate vs. counting stats but then I looked it up and Turner's been worth 3.8 fWAR which would ordinarily give him the NL lead, except he's been hurt and doesn't have enough PAs to qualify for the leaderboard. Which begs the question: why does Fangraphs have a min PA requirement for a counting stat?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As good as Correa's stats are, it's crazy to think about how slow a start he got off to. First 19 games, .197/.286/.295 with 2 HR

Since then, the last 60 games: .350/.422/.620 with 15 HR

Yeah I think I'll take that from a SS

KitsonGT
Oct 5, 2004

Remember: if the balloon pops, the noise makes the angels cry.

ego symphonic posted:

I was going to make a smug argument about rate vs. counting stats but then I looked it up and Turner's been worth 3.8 fWAR which would ordinarily give him the NL lead, except he's been hurt and doesn't have enough PAs to qualify for the leaderboard. Which begs the question: why does Fangraphs have a min PA requirement for a counting stat?

So, about a week ago I was searching for random Braves middle relievers on baseballreference because that's a perfectly normal thing to do, and found that, (by WAR) Mike Stanton was the least valuable Braves reliever over a 25 year span. Given a history of Dan Kolbs and Kyle Davies in that timeframe (and what I remembered to be generally positive results) I was confused. I found the culprit to be his 1990 season, where Stanton managed to amass -1.6 WAR in 7 IP, which seems impossible. Asked the admins about it, and was told that it was because his appearances were inexplicably all in high leverage situations.

It's not a 1:1 comparison with Turner, but I'm guessing they have a minimum PA because of situations like that, where a few situations in very high leverage situations and little exposure elsewhere can have a huge shift on the leaderboards. Granted, Taylor is WELL beyond that threshold, but it's the best guess I can come up with.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ego symphonic posted:

I would imagine it's mainly because the leaderboard isn't just for WAR. I figure it would be weird to go to the Batting leaderboard on FG and sort by any other stat and see guys with only a handful of ABs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Turner is all of 9 PA short of qualifying now btw. He will get there before the All Star Game.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 3, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The Atlanta Braves are one game under .500 and a half-game behind the world champion Chicago Cubs.

I know that record is mostly a function of the NL being hot rear end, but if they hit .500 by Newcomb shutting down the Astros, I'll be dangerously content with this team.

Think he's due a bit of a correction though.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I assume he'll play but there's probably an outside shot Conforto is still on the DL come the All-Star game and Turner could be added.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

There's always a bunch of shuffling that goes on at the last minute as guys go on the DL / skip the game to rest so the chances are good that some of the more egregious snubs end up on the roster after all.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Ah yes, Jake Lamb over Justin Turner makes sense, sure

edit: Robbie Ray over Alex Wood too. Totally

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Intruder posted:

As good as Correa's stats are, it's crazy to think about how slow a start he got off to. First 19 games, .197/.286/.295 with 2 HR

Since then, the last 60 games: .350/.422/.620 with 15 HR

Yeah I think I'll take that from a SS

most non-judge valuable player so far if you ask me

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Jays picked up Montero from the Cubs. Why? I don't know, because this season is stupid as hell I guess.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Check out this justification: Montero was a jerk to the Cubs, but it was directed at Arrieta who is a jerk, so Montero is actually good.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In a vaccuum, I don't hate the Montero trade. He is still somewhat useful at the plate, I think. However, this deal makes me question where, exactly, Atkins and Shapiro think this team is currently at. Sure, they are only 4.5 games back from the second WC spot, but there's 6 teams between them and that spot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm sad that Sano lost the 3B lead but Ramirez definitely deserves it so it's not that bad.

Especially lately, in the last month Jose's hitting .395, 8 HR's, 16 RBI, and 4SB

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

In a vaccuum, I don't hate the Montero trade. He is still somewhat useful at the plate, I think. However, this deal makes me question where, exactly, Atkins and Shapiro think this team is currently at. Sure, they are only 4.5 games back from the second WC spot, but there's 6 teams between them and that spot.

If he's essentially free I don't think any of that matters.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Berzerker posted:

The Jays picked up Montero from the Cubs. Why? I don't know, because this season is stupid as hell I guess.

he just got his American citizenship :negative:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Hoping Kris .263/.391/.511 Bryant beats Justin .382/.472/.557 Turner into the ASG. :getin:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If he's essentially free I don't think any of that matters.

Yeah the Cubs are picking up part of his salary and the trade is for PTBNL or cash so it's as close to a no-risk move as you can get

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I hope Thames gets invited to the home run derby. His story is too cool not to get some kind of nod. I think Hernan Perez deserves to be on the all star team too with the way he's just doing everything and still hitting productively this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hoping Kris .263/.391/.511 Bryant beats Justin .382/.472/.557 Turner into the ASG. :getin:

Pretty sure if this happens Jansen's head will explode.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

I hope Thames gets invited to the home run derby. His story is too cool not to get some kind of nod. I think Hernan Perez deserves to be on the all star team too with the way he's just doing everything and still hitting productively this year.

Thinking Perez should be an all star is lol.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
If the Brewers squad was a game of gently caress, marry, kill the picks would be:

gently caress - Thames (alternatively, Sogard)
Marry - Perez (alternatively, Sogard)
Kill - Braun (there is no alternative)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez are going to the Home Run Derby and I am giddy like a small child.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez are going to the Home Run Derby and I am giddy like a small child.

I too am looking forward to Aaron Judge's sharp decline in the 2nd half.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I too am looking forward to Aaron Judge's sharp decline in the 2nd half.

"Area Large Man Who Regularly Hits 500+ Foot Bombs In BP Loses Entire Ability To Hit Thanks To The Home Run Derby"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Inspector_666 posted:

Home run derbys have been pretty great lately and I hope it continues.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

If the Brewers squad was a game of gently caress, marry, kill the picks would be:

gently caress - Thames (alternatively, Sogard)
Marry - Perez (alternatively, Sogard)
Kill - Braun (there is no alternative)

i approve of this post. my wife is starting to get annoyed with my eric sogard obsession. she's like "are you even gay anymore?"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You go to the altar and instead of Sogard here comes David Wright

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Joey Gallo refusing to do the Home Run Derby is a travesty and Manfred should step in for the good of the game.

Also: Is Gallo in the big leagues for good? Rangers are cool with him hitting .200 and striking out 40% of the time?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The home run derby should determine home field advantage in the world series.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Also: Is Gallo in the big leagues for good? Rangers are cool with him hitting .200 and striking out 40% of the time?

I actually was just looking at his and Ryan Schimpf's numbers, but Gallo still has a wRC+ of 108 and has a good...batted ball profile? I dunno if that's the right descriptor but he hits the ball pretty flat, and hard. He's only 23 so if he can drop his K% down to near the 33% it was for most of the minors, he can probably get his average up to the usual band for "one-dimensional slugger" around what, .240? Think Chris Davis?

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he sticks in the bigs, but the Rangers seem to think he can be productive. And he gets the people going!

EDIT: I think his job was a lot more secure more a year or so ago, now that power is everywhere. He might just end up like Chris Carter.

EDIT2: Also him and Schwarber were people that Yankees fans who comment on websites a lot really, really wanted because "Judge is a bust!" after last year. :laffo:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 3, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

an Aaron Judge fact: he's slugging .852 at home this season. I didn't think this was a possible number

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Let me tell you about our lord and savior Barry Bonds.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Instead of God Bless America in the 7th inning stretch it should be God Bless Barry Bonds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQeJ8YQuqh8

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bonds' best single-season home slugging was a terrifying .951 in 2004 :stonk:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

meet me in Temecula and we'll settle this once and for all

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carlosologist posted:

Bonds' best single-season home slugging was a terrifying .951 in 2004 :stonk:

:lol: at slugging .951 in loving AT&T Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Every astounding hitter number is bested by Bonds.

Hes amazingly great at never pissing hot!

• Locked thread