Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

"Let's risk the lives of everyone in this colony ship for the like 3 people still alive down there by flying the ship into the electromagnetic storm that it specifically says not to because the standing captain is having an emotional crisis" was exceptionally bad yeah. I mean I knew exactly how the plot would go the moment David showed up.

Prometheus was garbage but covenant was not much better.

Like, people do dumb, senseless, illogical things especially when their friends and loved ones are at risk. That's a thing that happens in real life like a lot. Like it's weird to me that people act like "the character's acted illogically" like in reality people always do the most logical thing they could possibly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Headshots on unarmored enemies should always instant kill.
Point-blank shotgun blasts on humanoid-sized enemies should always instant kill.
Melee attacks on stunned/unaware enemies should always instant kill.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I haven't seen any of the sequels or prequels, but I recently watched Alien for the first time and I liked how it's company policy that pushed them to make poor decisions and not characters acting irrationally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Like, people do dumb, senseless, illogical things especially when their friends and loved ones are at risk. That's a thing that happens in real life like a lot. Like it's weird to me that people act like "the character's acted illogically" like in reality people always do the most logical thing they could possibly do.

Yes, but you have to consider that the people that do these senseless things were written by a real person, and I really doubt their thought process was "let's make these people realistically dumb" because that ends up with them being pretty lovely protagonists.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Space movie characters acting like humans and not vulcans. Nerds dismayed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, look at actual people in power throughout the world and tell me they are making logical decisions for the greater good. Or even to do their jobs effectively.

I don't just mean politicians. Look at the people who own fast food franchises and tell me they know how to run a business. Some of them do. Look at your manager. They're a loving moron.

What do you think the qualifications are to be a glorified space bus driver who wears a cowboy hat in space.

Lots of people text and drive while not wearing seatbelts and no using turn signals. Also they don't think that stop signs in parking lots are real so they just go through them.

You cannot overstate how stupid people are.

Someone who is clearly a competent pilot and was selected for that skill not having the best logic and leadership capability is not a flaw in the movie, that's called a person.

Actual airline pilots fly drunk all the time. That's WAY worse than what Tennessee did in the movie.

edit:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Headshots on unarmored enemies should always instant kill.
Point-blank shotgun blasts on humanoid-sized enemies should always instant kill.
Melee attacks on stunned/unaware enemies should always instant kill.

Yes.

Also non-lethal combat is bullshit. You get to use violence as a tool to solve problems, or you don't. You don't get to use violence to magically solve problems without killing anyone. But that's a separate argument.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Yes, but you have to consider that the people that do these senseless things were written by a real person, and I really doubt their thought process was "let's make these people realistically dumb" because that ends up with them being pretty lovely protagonists.

It's a horror movie. Characters being dumb and getting killed is like 80% of the genre. The characters in both Prometheus and Covanent that actually survive tend to be the characters that either acted most logically or adjusted best when the situation turned bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It's a horror movie. Characters being dumb and getting killed is like 80% of the genre. The characters in both Prometheus and Covanent that actually survive tend to be the characters that either acted most logically or adjusted best when the situation turned bad.

That would be a fair point if the movie didn't go out of its way to emphasize just how goddamn smart all these people are before they get killed by acting like idiots.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

tap my mountain posted:

It'd be cool if FLCL2 took a page from the new Twin Peaks and took place 15 years later. Naoto could be a jaded adult in his late twenties and be the perfect stand in for the now grown up viewers of the original.

everything should take a page from the new twin peaks imo. literally everything

I'm legit debating whether to continue playing trails in the sky or rewatch all 8 eps of nu twin peaks, again, for the third time. help

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 3, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the best Alien-themed video game anyway?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

Alien vs Predator 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Super Metroid

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Alien vs Predator 2

Seconding this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that one of the beat em ups?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

That would be a fair point if the movie didn't go out of its way to emphasize just how goddamn smart all these people are before they get killed by acting like idiots.

It doesn't though. Like I think the most your given in that vein is the assurances of a hologram of a dying old man who just went literal light years away for a chance of immortality based on some ancient runes. We're told they're good but they never demonstrate this and, once again, these are people that took a job that would take years of their life with no information up front.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No, it's an FPS on PC. It's got 3 campaigns, one for Aliens, Predators, and Humans. It's 3 different perspectives on a shared chain of events. It's pretty cool.

edit: As much as I really don't mind chatting about whatever here, there is an entire thread for this argument, where most of this has been said before. So it feels really redundant to say all this again here.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"horror movie characters act like total dumbasses" is a fine trope but generally the characters are acting like dumbasses in character. Dumbass teenagers are horny and look for a spooky closet to gently caress in, dumbass space marines try to go Rambo on xenomorphs, that kind of thing. The easy thing would have been to write the dumbass scientists as being full of hubris or whatever, but they don't do that, the scientists just act like dumbasses for no reason.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The campaign in Puyo Puyo Tetris is actually really fun. Though I can tell with a glance which levels I've completed were Puyo Puyo and which were Tetris because I have all three stars in the latter and one star in the former.

The Big Bang levels where they give you a half second to place a piece to activate a chain/line have a hilarious discrepancy in difficulty for me. The Tetris levels are ":hurr: round ball goes in round hole" while the Puyo levels are like trying to decipher Linear B while someone is stabbing me in the face

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't mean for this to turn into a major derail. I could keep arguing this but I think most people in here don't give a poo poo and I've had this argument way to many times and it never really goes anywhere my I think I've shown that I'm not just trolling when I say I like those movies so how about them video games?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jay Rust posted:

Alien: Isolation

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Doom Goon posted:

That's kind of what the Lovely Planet sequel did iirc. Though the reviews are higher than the last time I looked (must be due to the Steam rejiggering) it apparently makes it much more of a puzzle game.

Lovely Planet Arcade is so, so good

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jay Rust posted:

Papers, please.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I didn't mean for this to turn into a major derail. I could keep arguing this but I think most people in here don't give a poo poo and I've had this argument way to many times and it never really goes anywhere my I think I've shown that I'm not just trolling when I say I like those movies so how about them video games?

Sick new av!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was going nuts today because shovel knight was running like garbage on my laptop but then i noticed that it was because they set the default resolution to 1800p for some reason? plague night rules

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

psychoJ posted:

I'm legit debating whether to continue playing trails in the sky or rewatch all 8 eps of nu twin peaks, again, for the third time. help

I wish the new series would inspire television, but there's no way it has the same wide appeal that the original series did. Definitely the greatest thing I've seen on TV, but I can tell it's not for everybody

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Jay Rust posted:

I'm half an hour into Anachronox, and I'm willing to say: Anachronox

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Enemy Zero

also Duskers and Event[0]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

metroid fusion

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's a big post in the Alien thread matching up Metroid Games to Alien movies, it's neat.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Super Metroid

Wouldn't Metroid Fusion be more apt?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CJacobs posted:

why does it make them lovely protagonists

like there's this unspoken assumption here that arrogance and stupidity are bad subjects for fiction when in fact, the exact opposite is true

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also I never played Salt & Sanctuary, sorry guy, I couldn't tell you which is better between it and Hollow Knight

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the idea that a human writer wouldn't think to write a flawed character.

Like, are you really arguing that Tennesee choosing to risk the ship and everyone on board was intended by the writers to be a smart choice by the character, rather than one showing his emotional state trumping the greater good?

I don't understand the argument.

edit: ^ I havne't played either, and I'd bet that Hollow Knight is better. Everyone's raving about it, and I haven't heard much at all about S&S outside of soulsgames diehards who mostly said it needed a map and was mechanically not that interesting.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Arcade AVP

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I played both SS and Hollow Knight.

SS is pretty much a 2D souls, granted some of the mechanics can take a bit to get used to with the rolling etc. And yeah there is no map which makes things pretty frustrating.

Hollow Knight is very much a platformer, and the combat is pretty good itself. I enjoyed Hollow Knight a bit more, even with the huge areas, once you get certain techniques it makes things a bit more easier to travel through. Plus they are adding a patch with a better fast travel system (even though I think the one that was already in the game was fine)

If I had to pick, go with Hollow Knight.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked Salt & Sanctuary but I also really liked the Dishwasher games so combining that with Souls games was pretty rad to me.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
the music and art in hollow knight are also dramatically better than S&S imo; the latter has a gray fog filter effect over just about everything that does it no favors, and while hollow knight has some washed out sections the color schemes and contrasts make everything pop (also fantastic sound effects in those areas)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

please play hollow knight

psychoJ posted:

please play trails in the sky

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 3, 2017

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Alien 3 on Amiga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bought a little indie game from the summer sale, Abzu. One of those little exploration/puzzle games with no dialogue of any kind, leaving you to puzzle through things in a gorgeous world. This one's unique twist is that it's set underwater, and it's everything I'd hoped Subnautica would be.

Not a long or complex game, but gorgeous and the controls work pretty well once you figure them out.

• Locked thread