Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

oliven posted:

This is incredible. Why on earth would they cut this from the finale :confused:

The WOW legal team ordered that the footage be removed, and issued a statement expressing sympathy for India's predicament, but taking no responsibility, and stating that Ru and Mimi acted in accordance with company policy on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nihonniboku posted:

Ru would be smart to just cut ties with World of Wonder and go with a production company that is actually capable, and not just hitching their anchor to Ru's stardom. A good production company should be lifting their stars, not the other way around.

World of Wonder was formed by two mid-80s club kids with the specific intent of catapulting the career of Rupaul, so she's known about the hitch for about 30 years

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

The WOW legal team ordered that the footage be removed, and issued a statement expressing sympathy for India's predicament, but taking no responsibility, and stating that Ru and Mimi acted in accordance with company policy on the matter.

Wait, India wasn't in on it?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah I'm confused by that too, because it definitely looked like it was scripted.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I agree, jokes are hard.

They were referencing the United Airlines overbooking fiasco.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

ALFbrot posted:

I agree, jokes are hard.

They were referencing the United Airlines overbooking fiasco.

ooooooh okay, well that makes sense.

I'm kinda glad Shea didn't win only because we just had similar story lines with BTDQ and Alaska: wins all the way to the top, has a stumble at the end and has to lip sync, picks self up and snatches the crown. I can't wait to see what Sasha does this year.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I mean... she said no to Ru. Of course that was scripted.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah I mean... she said no to Ru. Of course that was scripted.

And she was mic'd, which should have been the first clue.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I blame only having an hour on VH1. My hope is that the network gives them more time when needed next year.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Of course the Mimi/Farrah thing was real. Working security is Mimi's paying gig.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Did we already have this Vox article about teenage fans of Drag Race in here? It's pretty good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Trig Discipline posted:

Did we already have this Vox article about teenage fans of Drag Race in here? It's pretty good.

Not sure how I feel about this.

E: the teen fans the article is very good

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a bizarre juxtaposition of cultures, but I can understand it. Drag Race is a lot more open about dealing with self-doubt and developing and defending a positive self-image than pretty much anything else in popular culture, and those issues are basically the defining crises of teenagerdom. And adulthood for that matter, but they're more acute when you hit them for the first time. So I guess from the teen fans' point of view it's a very positive thing.

As for how that audience is going to change drag...yeah that could be a disaster. "Cleaning up" drag for a younger audience is a loving terrible idea, and you absolutely know that that's going to be in the pipeline soon if it isn't already.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

It's definitely a bizarre juxtaposition of cultures, but I can understand it. Drag Race is a lot more open about dealing with self-doubt and developing and defending a positive self-image than pretty much anything else in popular culture, and those issues are basically the defining crises of teenagerdom. And adulthood for that matter, but they're more acute when you hit them for the first time. So I guess from the teen fans' point of view it's a very positive thing.

As for how that audience is going to change drag...yeah that could be a disaster. "Cleaning up" drag for a younger audience is a loving terrible idea, and you absolutely know that that's going to be in the pipeline soon if it isn't already.

I know this season the queens were self-censoring to preserve ~*~their brand~*~ and everything with Valentina's "fans" just sat with me wrong.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

From the article

quote:

After RuPaul’s keynote (the final event of the con), one 19-year-old girl summoned the courage to go up in front of hundreds of fellow fans and ask her idol, through so many sobs we could barely understand her, “How do you wake up in the morning and tell yourself you’re beautiful?”

I choked up. Being a grown up I find this show so much fun and delightful. It didn't occur to me how much it would mean to a younger audience, queer or otherwise. I remember being that girl, trying to figure out how to express myself in the face of pressure to conform. I've never been traditionally pretty and even today it's sometimes a mystery to me how to find myself beautiful. Cheers to that girl and I hope she takes what Ru said to her to heart.

RuPaul posted:

I'm looking at you. You are beautiful.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think there's a huge amount of power to seeing someone you admire admit that they have the same struggles you do. I've long since given up on being beautiful, but I've had a couple of professional experiences where people I greatly admire have privately discussed their own insecurities and struggles with impostor syndrome, and those have been absolutely transformative experiences for me. I see a lot of that same stuff in Drag Race, where you sometimes get to see these amazingly talented people doubt themselves and hear about all the poo poo (internal and external) they've had to fight through to get there.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 29, 2017

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

decided to watch through the finale interviews-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0l7SXoSk8g

I am very excited to see more Eureka on season 10. her look at the end of the best catchphrases video, the way she held her mic in "can I asssssk you something?" segment... oh man :allears:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

PSA: Season 8 is now on Canadian Netflix if you want to relive all of

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PSA: get the OUTtv GO service, it's only like 4/month, has all of Drag Race and Untucked, and a shitton of other shows and movies with stuff being added constantly.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Few days late but happy Pride month, thread!

Billboard did an interview series for Pride, hosted by Tamar Braxton with Mariah, Manila, Derrick Barry, Willam, and Pandora. It was pretty good!

skip to about 4:10 here http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/7842201/spilling-the-tea-part-4-drag-race-queens-gay-dating-apps

Derrick: Like when people don't know what Stonewall is, you know what I mean?
Tamar: Why don't you tell everybody what that is.
Derrick: That was fighting for gay rights, and people were killed.
Willam: Nobody was killed at Stonewall.
Derrick: Nobody was killed?
Willam: ...it was in June 1969 <long and poignant recollection of Stonewall and the earlier Black Cat riots in LA, slacktivism, talks about an older gay man she visits every month in the hospital>

lol Derrick

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Guess what I just ate

Tastes better than you'd think!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Few days late but happy Pride month, thread!

Billboard did an interview series for Pride, hosted by Tamar Braxton with Mariah, Manila, Derrick Barry, Willam, and Pandora. It was pretty good!

skip to about 4:10 here http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/7842201/spilling-the-tea-part-4-drag-race-queens-gay-dating-apps

Derrick: Like when people don't know what Stonewall is, you know what I mean?
Tamar: Why don't you tell everybody what that is.
Derrick: That was fighting for gay rights, and people were killed.
Willam: Nobody was killed at Stonewall.
Derrick: Nobody was killed?
Willam: ...it was in June 1969 <long and poignant recollection of Stonewall and the earlier Black Cat riots in LA, slacktivism, talks about an older gay man she visits every month in the hospital>

lol Derrick

hahahaha, yeah, I saw that video. Derrick is a loving moron.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Derrick had his facts wrong, but at least he knew the basics of Stonewall and that it even happened. Which is more than can be said for a lot of younger gay people.

Sidenote: I love it when Willam gets serious. He's such a smart guy.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I seriously regret voting Valentina for Ms. Congeniality. Now I know how Trump supporters feel.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Willam has grown on me, not going to lie.

Noise Machine posted:

I seriously regret voting Valentina for Ms. Congeniality. Now I know how Trump supporters feel.

Please don’t insult our president by comparing him to Valentina.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's okay. When everyone was edited like jesus, it's very hard to pick someone.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Tired Moritz posted:

it's okay. When everyone was edited like jesus, it's very hard to pick someone.

Peppermint had an interesting insight on that in her last finale recap video. She said that it was filmed coming just off the Pulse shooting and with such a contentious presidential race going on, and basically people were kinda mentally worn out and not really feeling the usual shady bitchiness they might otherwise. The reunion might support that where we saw a more typical level of sass and cuntiness.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

rewatching season four, it was hard not to fall in love with him. everything he says is designed to either antagonise the other contestants or entertain the folks back home. the best bit is when he gets told off for not showing vulnerability then fake cries the very next time the judges talk to him, then turns it off and says "that's it. oh yeah i wasn't faking it. bye"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

One of my favourite lines in the show is during his argument with Milan, after Milan lowers herself to 'Willam's level' by getting on the floor. Willam continues to not give a poo poo what Milan is talking about, then when it's all over asks, "Is the carpet comfortable?".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a huge fan of Willam during the season, but honestly I don't think I really "got" him at that point. Being exposed to more of his sense of humor on his own turf has turned me into a huge fan, and I'm quite tempted to go back and watch the season just to see how much my perception of Willam changes.

e: I just went back and looked at the list of queens on season 4 and holy crap that really was an excellent season.

e2: I just went back and looked at the lists of queens on seasons 5-8 and became newly underwhelmed with season 9, I have to say.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 3, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've always loved Willam, but it's definitely more fun watching with it in mind that not only is he playing the competition game, but the production game as well. He's just always on and it's delightful.

Agreed about more recent crops of queens. I think season 9 was overall better than 8 in terms of cast, but in seasons 1-6 even the filler queens are memorable.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I learned to like Willam watching his YouTube show The Beatdown. He's hilarious and he always looks so good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Willam is my spirit animal tbh

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know, you can get a cream for that...

I recently binge watched a few seasons, and its rather telling how some queens are almost rationed their on screen time early in the season. When I don't see someone hardly at all in the first few episodes you can almost just instantly dismiss them as being a contender. Or maybe this much exposure to "reality" TV has just left me massively jaded towards all editing.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
S4 was my first season and gently caress, "Your tone seems very pointed right now." basically shifted me to overdrive on Willam being the best. gently caress a bunch of Phi Phi O'Hara, f'real, f'rever.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Deathlove posted:

S4 was my first season and gently caress, "Your tone seems very pointed right now." basically shifted me to overdrive on Willam being the best. gently caress a bunch of Phi Phi O'Hara, f'real, f'rever.

I think that's the point I went from "Wiliam is awful" to "Oooooh! Wiliam has this production figured out and is trying to be funny/memorable and screw with the contestants who are taking this way too seriously".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think, if I hadn't loved him from the start, the line that would have won Willam over for me is probably "I'll just have a good rapport with my shoes. They're Yves Saint Laurent."

Girl has the best 'I don't give a gently caress about this argument/Phi Phi coming for me' responses. Being so cool, collected and witty about it whenever the queens felt pressed about him is my #lifegoals.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I love 'I'll just have a good rapport with my shoes'. Willam is excellent. It is too bad it seems he's blacklisted from all WoW/RuPaul events.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the producer he has a mutual hate relationship with still works there. I think she got promoted recently.

Seems he's mending some bridges with WOW, but it could be a while before there's an actual possibility of him coming back.

Like, as over it as he acts I'm sure Willam would take an Allstars gig if offered. It's just a good business move for both parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

another good willam moment: when her team wins the max mutchnik video challenge and ru dismisses them, you can hear her yelling "come on, let's go!" to the rest of the team as they leave the runway

• Locked thread