Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
gently caress home/road splits. Real icons get the exact same number of hits at home as on the road. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Rand alPaul posted:

:lol: at slugging .951 in loving AT&T Park.

The Giants don't have two lefties that combine for .951 slugging @ AT&T. I didn't look this up, i just know it

That's ignoring they don't have a .951 OPS hitter, let alone a lefty.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Also: Is Gallo in the big leagues for good? Rangers are cool with him hitting .200 and striking out 40% of the time?

I'm cool with it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The home run derby is stupid and the yankees shouldn't let Sanchez and Judge do it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

The home run derby is stupid and the yankees shouldn't let Sanchez and Judge do it.

this is a bad opinion

it's really just BP, I don't see the issue with letting them crank dingers out like they do before every home game anyway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mcmagic posted:

:chloe:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Must be confusing the HRD with the All-Star Game

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

mcmagic posted:

:yikes:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Trout will not be playing in the all star game, which doesn't surprise me, but could return the start of the second half if all goes well in his rehab games.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The Pussy Boss posted:

Joey Gallo refusing to do the Home Run Derby is a travesty and Manfred should step in for the good of the game.

Also: Is Gallo in the big leagues for good? Rangers are cool with him hitting .200 and striking out 40% of the time?

his war is 1.6, wrc is 108, and his babip is way under his career average. unlucky and still producing above average

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Berzerker posted:

The Jays picked up Montero from the Cubs. Why? I don't know, because this season is stupid as hell I guess.

Luke Maile has 101 MLB plate appearances so far this season, and his slash line would look intolerably bad even if I jokingly posted OBP/SLG/OPS.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

his war is 1.6, wrc is 108, and his babip is way under his career average. unlucky and still producing above average

You can't really look at a guy who's played less than a full season ever and say that his babip is below his career average.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You can't really look at a guy who's played less than a full season ever and say that his babip is below his career average.

i'm talking minors

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why would you look at minor league babip.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Dear All-Star break

Please recreate this photograph with Judge, Stanton, and Altuve.

tia

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hand Knit posted:

Luke Maile has 101 MLB plate appearances so far this season, and his slash line would look intolerably bad even if I jokingly posted OBP/SLG/OPS.

Yes, Maile is terrible offensively, and Miggy is terrible defensively (0/31 on attempting to throw out a base stealer this season). Out of the frying pan and into the other frying pan I guess

In other Jays news they DFA'd Sparkman and his 63 ERA and have brought Bolsinger back up, this time in the bullpen and not as a replacement starter

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

When does babip+ or xbabip or something come out that uses launch angle and velocity and normalizes for park sizes and effects so people can stop citing babip for a players struggles?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

this is a bad opinion

it's really just BP, I don't see the issue with letting them crank dingers out like they do before every home game anyway

There are enough cases of guys who fell off a cliff in the second half after participating that idk what the upside is for the team...

New Concept Hole posted:

Must be confusing the HRD with the All-Star Game

They are both stupid.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

There are enough cases of guys who fell off a cliff in the second half after participating that idk what the upside is for the team...

They are both stupid.

Enough cases such as?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Enough cases such as?

I mean I'm not an expert but I would bet that there are many more cases where it didn't happen so I dunno if you can blame it on the derby

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

To the extent this is true it is almost always regression to the mean rather than the derby actually loving them up

The people who get invited to the derby in the first place tend to be on unsustainable runs of AB/HR and then things start happening like they see fewer good pitches because they hit a ton of HR in the first half.

Here's some actual data if you like: https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-home-run-derby-myth/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Enough cases such as?

I remember it happening to Bobby Abreu, David Wright and Carlos Beltran... Also 80% of HRD participants hit less homers in the second half of the season than in the first.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

...why wouldn't i?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Angel Hernandez is suing MLB for racial discrimination

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/07/03/ump-files-racial-discrimination-suit-against-mlb/449010001/

quote:

A Major League Baseball umpire Monday sued baseball commissioner Rob Manfred and the league alleging racial discrimination in baseball's promotion and post-season assignment policies.
Cuban-born Angel Hernandez, 55, states in his suit that he has been passed over several times for a chance to work the World Series despite high marks on evaluations. The suit also charges that even though Hernandez was made a temporary crew chief, it has never been made permanent.
The suit accuses MLB of promoting only one minority umpire to permanent crew chief in the history of the game (a Hispanic) and that only one non-white umpire has worked a World Series since 2011.
There are just under 100 umpires currently on the MLB roster; an Enquirer review of the roster and the photos and biographies attached to it indicates about 10 are African-American or Hispanic.
"The selection of these less qualified, white individuals over Hernandez was motivated by racial, national origin and/or ethnic considerations," the lawsuit says.
The suit comes after Hernandez filed two discrimination charges in June with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Hernandez, who has been an umpire since 1993, worked a weekend series in Cincinnati between the Chicago Cubs and the Reds. Efforts to reach him were unsuccessful late Monday afternoon.
The suit seeks back pay and unspecified compensatory damages.
His lawyer, Kevin Murphy of Fort Mitchell, did not return calls seeking comment.
MLB spokesman John Blundell said the league is aware of the suit, but declined further comment.
Officials with the World Umpires Association, the union for MLB umpires, did not return messages seeking comment.
In the suit, Hernandez states his performance ratings were solid but declined after 2011. That's when former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre was named as MLB's chief baseball officer.
Hernandez and Torre had history, with Torre calling out Hernandez publicly for some calls in 2001.
"Torre took to the media to insult him and call into question his skill as a Major League umpire," the suit states. "Though it may seem as if Major League Baseball’s problems with Hernandez begin and end with some personal animus Torre and some other individuals in the Office of the Commissioner may have towards Hernandez, an overview of how Major League Baseball has treated minorities such as Hernandez shows a much deeper and more troubling trend."

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

...why wouldn't i?

Because it doesn't correlate to mlb?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

based on what? i've been reading articles for about a decade now saying 'well, his minor league babip was...'. plus, it's a stat measuring lack. sure, mlb teams have better defense, but i can't imagine there's zero correlation between minor league babip and major league babip.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yes there is an average number that babip from milb to mlb regresses at however the range is absurdly large within which players regress from one level to the next and the reasons are extremely varied (age, level, defense, shifts we don't have data on etc) that to look at a single players babip in the minors and then looks at his babip in the majors and say it should be x doesn't work.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I remember it happening to Bobby Abreu, David Wright and Carlos Beltran... Also 80% of HRD participants hit less homers in the second half of the season than in the first.

And teams play less than half of their games in the "second half" of the season. Weird.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Angel Hernandez is suing MLB for racial discrimination

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/07/03/ump-files-racial-discrimination-suit-against-mlb/449010001/

Angel Hernandez, 55, states in his suit that he has been passed over several times for a chance to work the World Series despite high marks on evaluations
This is the real scandal here. Isn't it pretty well known that Hernandez sucks at calling balls and strikes?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bawfuls posted:

This is the real scandal here. Isn't it pretty well known that Hernandez sucks at calling balls and strikes?

He claims that Joe Torre has a grudge against him which is why his ratings tanked when he took over as king of whatever he does.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

bawfuls posted:

He's literally the worst umpire at calling balls and strikes that I've ever seen while watching 30 years of Major League Baseball.

I'm sure there are umping saber-statistics that could potentially dispute this but if you asked me who the worst ump was it's Hernandez as a reflexive answer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

When does babip+ or xbabip or something come out that uses launch angle and velocity and normalizes for park sizes and effects so people can stop citing babip for a players struggles?

https://www.xstats.org/ for all of your X needs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does this mean his umpire evaluations become public record? Cause I really want to see those "high marks".

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Tom Gorman posted:

He's literally the worst umpire at calling balls and strikes that I've ever seen while watching 30 years of Major League Baseball.

I made this image probably 12 years ago and it's still just as relevant today

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Angel Hernandez posted:

Kevlar v2.0 made this image probably 12 years ago and it's still just as RACIST AGAINST CUBANS today

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
N: Cubs are inquiring about availability for Verlander and Avila.

V: your beefy lads, give them to me :getin:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Speaking of the beefy lad, Schwarber is slashing .385/.500/.846 in Iowa. I hope spending a few weeks in AAA fixes him and he doesn't end up like Mike Olt, forever crushing AAA and forever sucking in the majors.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Comptroll The Forums posted:

N: Cubs are inquiring about availability for Verlander and Avila.

V: your beefy lads, give them to me :getin:

I'd be very surprised if the Cubs traded for Verlander. He's old, he's expensive, and he's not particularly good this year. Theo has repeatedly said that if the Cubs trade for SP, they have to be at least somewhat young & affordable. Like it's one thing if the Cubs pull the trigger and trade away the beef for Gray - who I also don't think lives up to the hype but is at least a young/cheap #3 guy - but I'd be annoyed if it was for Verlander because he doesn't really solve any of the Cubs current problems.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of me takes note that the two most hated umps are minorities and makes me wonder if racial bias is at play. But another part of me remembers CB Bucknor blowing a call right down the middle cause he blinked since it was a steal.

But yeah I'd love to see what metrics are being used by MLB to evaluate umps.

• Locked thread