Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Andre "Smacker of Groin" Ward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Did it take you like, 3 days to think of that?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Did it take you like, 3 days to think of that?

Three days of furious thought, a box of pencils, and four reams of loose leaf.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thats a lot of effort to catch a rivals.com nicknames probation :v:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Three days of furious thought, a box of pencils, and four reams of loose leaf.

This is an actual image made by someone at boxingscene. You could have done much worse.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dre -- he's a Ball-absian!

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Ninth Layer posted:

This is an actual image made by someone at boxingscene. You could have done much worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

:lol:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So Ward's been talking about fighting at cruiserweight or even heavyweight. What do you think his odds are there?

Virgil has even suggested Ward could be Anthony Joshua, which, lol

I'm sure Ward could hang at cruiser, despite his actual physical attributes being pretty average. Not really sure why he would want to go up there though, considering that even though cruiser is as deep as it's ever been, it's still primarily a European weight division, and all the top guys are going to be tied up in the World Boxing Super Series tournament for the next 2 years.

175 has the Adonis Stevenson fight, which is still a big fight, the winner of Joe Smith Jr/Sullivan Barrera, the winner of Marcus Brown/Sean Monaghan, plus Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Artur Beterviev (these last 2 guys have about the North American name recognition of any top cruiserweight right now), and a few other up and coming undefeated Eastern European types.

I'd rather see Ward take a few more fights at 175 and then fight the winner of the Cruiserweight World Boxing Super Series Tournament. Assuming Ward stays relevant over the next 2 years, that could be a huge fight in 2019 or 2020.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 27, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Fun fact: Before becoming a pro boxer Jeff Horn was a teacher.

Not so fun fact: He is laying on the school analogies way too thick. Hope Pacquiao can ring his bell :rimshot:

quote:

“Yes, I did notice Manny Pacquiao on his phone, once again,” Horn said. “He got called out for it on stage with my promoter, Dean, and [Pacquaio got a bit rattled]. But I don’t know what he’s doing on it, whether he’s writing notes, but he should have a notepad.

“But, um, you know, I tell the kids at school get off your phones when I’m talking so, he should do the same I guess.”

“He’d be definitely on detention, that’s for sure. If he came late to class, 45 minutes, class is pretty much over, you’d definitely be staying in lunchtime.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/29/15893264/horn-irked-by-pacquiaos-texting-during-press-conference

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Honestly I have no problem with Arum & crew talking that fight up, I'm just happy to get a free-on-cable Manny Pacquiao fight in the summer.

edit: obligatory "Pacquiao's gonna take him to summer school" joke

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Honestly I have no problem with Arum & crew talking that fight up, I'm just happy to get a free-on-cable Manny Pacquiao fight in the summer.

edit: obligatory "Pacquiao's gonna take him to summer school" joke

Well at least Horn will be able to chalk this one up to experience.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Speaking of ESPN fights:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/30/15898278/lomachenko-marriaga-crawford-indongo-set-for-espn-in-august

Vasyl Lomachenko has an ESPN show for August 5th in what looks to be a showcase / stay busy fight. Also he's fighting within literal walking distance of my house so I'm definitely gonna go see it.

And Terence Crawford will actually be fighting Julius Indongo, also on ESPN on August 19th. Both fighters are undefeated and between them they have all 4 major world titles at 140 lb, making this a true unification fight where the winner can call himself the undisputed champ at light welterweight.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

And Terence Crawford will actually be fighting Julius Indongo, also on ESPN on August 19th. Both fighters are undefeated and between them they have all 4 major world titles at 140 lb, making this a true unification fight where the winner can call himself the undisputed champ at light welterweight.

holy dick, it's been literally over a decade since we've had an undisputed champ at any weight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Indongo is a very good fighter. Probably not Crawford level though. I'm excited for undisputed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not gonna lie, as old as he is I wanna hear Bruce Buffer say "undefeated, undisputed Xweightchampion of the wooorld" one more time.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not gonna lie, as old as he is I wanna hear Bruce Buffer say "undefeated, undisputed Xweightchampion of the wooorld" one more time.

same because he'd take half the amount of time michael would

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I meant Michael and now you've helped me hurt my own feelings.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The SituAsian posted:

Fun fact: Before becoming a pro boxer Jeff Horn was a teacher.

Not so fun fact: He is laying on the school analogies way too thick. Hope Pacquiao can ring his bell :rimshot:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/29/15893264/horn-irked-by-pacquiaos-texting-during-press-conference

He's probably going to tell him to go sit in the corner between rounds and Pacman will be all "yeah, i know???"

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

And Terence Crawford will actually be fighting Julius Indongo, also on ESPN on August 19th.

excellent

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Doing a quick fight thread cause I haven't done one in a while and I'm pretty sure my writing skills are beginning to devolve to grade school levels without something other than work emails to write about.

EDIT: Up now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825553

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 1, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice. Ive got a big group for the fight, definitely helps that it's free to watch.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWByFxDF5ls/?hl=en

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

no

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Have a BHop, RJJ, Toney old man league.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Speaking of ESPN fights:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/30/15898278/lomachenko-marriaga-crawford-indongo-set-for-espn-in-august

Vasyl Lomachenko has an ESPN show for August 5th in what looks to be a showcase / stay busy fight. Also he's fighting within literal walking distance of my house so I'm definitely gonna go see it.

Crawford/Indongo is the best fight that can be made at 140. That should be a great fight to showcase Crawford on free TV, unless Crawford wins a very boring decision or something.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The World Boxing Super Series is starting to fill out its rosters for its 200 and 168 pound single elimination tournaments.

On the Cruiserweight side, they are looking to have all 4 major titlists in Usyk, Gassiev, Breidis, and Dorticos. Plus former titlists Huck and Wlodarczyk have signed on, and Glowacki and Kudryashov are expected to fill out the 8 spot tournament. This is a fantastic lineup that will produce a more-or-less undisputed Cruiserweight champion with all 4 belts. Denis Lebedev (who owns part of the WBA title) looks to be the odd man out here, but at 38 years old, I don't think it's a huge loss for him to not be in the tournament.

The Super Middleweight side is much less inspiring so far: Titlist George Groves, prospects Erik Skoglund and Jamie Cox, and almost 39 year old former titlist Juergen Braehmer. Hopefully guys like Gilberto Ramirez, James DeGale, and Badou Jack join, otherwise this will be a pretty flimsy tournament.

On July 8th, all the fighters and the fights will be announced. The first round of fights happen this September and October.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack is at 175 now. Last I heard he was in talks to fight Cleverly on the Mayweather undercard.

The cruiserweight tournament is unfortunately missing out on Lebedev, who holds the superior version of Dorticos' title, but otherwise its very exciting.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The Cruiserweight tournament was probably much easier to put together as the weight class is full of Russians and Africans who bash each other up for pennies anyway. Looking forward to it, it's boxing hipster catnip.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
168 has to be he weakest division in boxing right now. Other than the DeGale-Groves rematch (which will probably happen anyway) there's really nothing to glean from a tournament in terms of building someone to get excited about.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

how about zurdo?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

168 has to be he weakest division in boxing right now. Other than the DeGale-Groves rematch (which will probably happen anyway) there's really nothing to glean from a tournament in terms of building someone to get excited about.

Gilberto Ramirez is worth building up.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
A larger, marginally more offensive minded Miguel Vasquez? I'll pass.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Actually I kind of take back what I said about the 168 WBSS (but not Zurdo, gently caress that guy) now that Callum Smith and the winner of Eubank Jr and Abraham are in it's actually not too shabby if a bit top heavy. It's obviously not as a crazy loaded as cruiser but I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of that tournament as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They had an event to announce the tournament layout (with predictably over the top pageantry, Eubank's dad also showed up in his place which is pretty expected)

Anyway, here's the bracket

CRUISERWEIGHT

(1) Oleksandr Usyk (12-0, 10 KOs) v Marco Huck (40-4-1, 27 KOs)
(4) Yunier Dorticos (21-0, 20 KOs) v Dmitry Kudryashov (21-1, 21 KOs)
(2) Murat Gassiev (24-0, 17 KOs) v Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (53-3-1, 37 KOs)
(3) Mairis Briedis (22-0, 18 KOs) v Mike Perez (22-2-1, 14 KOs)

SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT

(1) George Groves (26-3, 19 KOs) v Jamie Cox (22-0, 12 KOs)
(4) Juergen Braehmer (48-3, 35 KOs) v Rob Brant (22-0, 15 KOs)
(2) Callum Smith (22-0, 17 KOs) v Erik Skoglund (26-0, 12 KOs)
(3) Eubank/Abraham v Avni Yildrim (16-0, 10 KOs)

These are both really good. Glowacki is an alternate for the cruiserweight tournament if somebody drops out. I've heard conflicting reports that Mikkel Kessler might be an alternate for the super middleweight one.

Pretty exciting.

E: Kind of interesting that all the top seeds of the cruiserweights are undefeated, while all the low seeds of the super middles are undefeated. I wonder if we'll see some upsets in the 168 fights.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 9, 2017

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hope jamie cox gets battered

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It's too bad the best 168 pounder isn't participating (Zurdo, apparently he's fighting the undefeated Jesse Hart in September), but it ended up being a pretty solid tournament nonetheless. It also would have been nice to see James DeGale in the tournament but it sounds like he's still pretty busted up from the Jack fight (suffered several injuries during it) and he's been talking about only having a few fights left before retiring, so sounds like he really just wasn't up for running a gauntlet of top Super-middleweights. He's also been ordered to fight Andre Dirrell when he returns, so watch for that.

I'm actually psyched for the Cruiserweight tournament. There's only been a handful of relevant Cruiserweight fights in the division's history (Holyfield-Qawi, Toney-Jirov, maybe Haye's last fights against Mormeck and Enzo Mac), and now we get an entire tournament with all of the best fighters in the division save an old Denis Lebedev. The winner of the tournament should provide Andre Ward with a very intriguing reason to move up to Cruiserweight in a couple of years. Or maybe the winner moves up to try his luck at heavyweight.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 10, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

These are both really good. Glowacki is an alternate for the cruiserweight tournament if somebody drops out. I've heard conflicting reports that Mikkel Kessler might be an alternate for the super middleweight one.

Kessler turned down the wildcard invite because he didn't think he could get fit/ready in time for it. It seems like he's set on doing something else for his comeback.
Viasat/MTG said the only way they'd have him fight on PPV outside of the tournament would be against fellow danish boxer Patrick Nielsen which would be a garbage fight but it would sell well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that something else should be staying retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
whooops wrong thread