Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised Peter Capaldi hasn't tried to buy it off the BBC and have it transported to his home.

You say that like he isn't already living there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

David Tennant: The Doctor is my father-in-law. I win.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

NPR Journalizard posted:

not too sure on spoiler rules

where is this from exactly?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure he's already got one. Or two.

Everything goes into storage. Jenna got a few of my TARDIS signs when she left but generally speaking if you leave anything unattended for 30 seconds it gets transported into the Experience and you have to fill out Brazil-level paperwork to get it back.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

echoplex posted:

Everything goes into storage. Jenna got a few of my TARDIS signs when she left but generally speaking if you leave anything unattended for 30 seconds it gets transported into the Experience and you have to fill out Brazil-level paperwork to get it back.

Oh, I was meaning ones from old Who. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Capaldi has the old auxiliary control room instead of a living room, and that McCoy's tardis set is his kitchen.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

Oh, I was meaning ones from old Who. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Capaldi has the old auxiliary control room instead of a living room, and that McCoy's tardis set is his kitchen.

He's a bit... slammy with buttons and poo poo, so they'd probably be MDF dust by now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

where is this from exactly?

A show called whovians on the ABC in Australia.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

not too sure on spoiler rules

Matt Lucas speculation:

I just looked up that time in the episode and it sounds to me like he is talking about Whovians having another series, not him unfortunately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

echoplex posted:

There's going to be a newspiece about the truck carrying that set being hijacked by "a madman with grey curly hair waving a blinking blue light about" isn't there? :ohdear:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

echoplex posted:

Even though I know what it is, something about just calling it "the Experience" sounds like the name of one of the show's villain's bases.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Stabbatical posted:

Even though I know what it is, something about just calling it "the Experience" sounds like the name of one of the show's villain's bases.

The running joke in the office was that one day, we'd open up The Real Doctor Who Experience which would just be a small, dark, shed were people demand things of you, take your money and hit you with sticks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

echoplex posted:

The running joke in the office was that one day, we'd open up The Real Doctor Who Experience which would just be a small, dark, shed were people demand things of you, take your money and hit you with sticks.

I think Kickstarter's got that trademarked.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

David Tennant: The Doctor is my father-in-law. I win.
Then he married his own bizarre clone daughter

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Classic Who thread, but I signed up for the 1 week trial of Britbox and have been binge watching a ton of classic Who. I'm surprised by how much of it is "unavailable", but I've been watching lots of 1, 5 and 6. I rather like 1, and I think without the silly outfit 6 would be absolutely perfect. For the life of me though, I just can't get into 5 at all. Adric is annoying, sure, as a charmless/less endearing version of Wesley Crusher. Adric isn't the biggest problem though. Teegan is the loving worst, all she does is whine, cry and refuse to listen.

Of 3, 4 and 7 I'm most familiar with 3. I've only watched 1 story each of 4 and 7. 2 I've only seen in "The Three Doctors" and "The Two Doctors".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
2 and Jamie, best of times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We'll probably talk more about Classic Who between now and the Xmas special, as the current season just finished.

Basically every Doctor is a good Doctor, they just sometimes have bad stories.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
4th, Leela (and K9). Weird and fun times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey welcome to the world of Classic Who, there's a ton of content there and the nice thing is that if something doesn't work for you there is a ton more that is different to experience. There are no wrong opinions, everybody is entitled to thi-

Q_res posted:

Teegan is the loving worst

Motherfucker... :toughguy:

In all seriousness though, if you don't like 5's stuff then try a little more 4. Part of what I like about Davison's run is how his Doctor feels like the character personally taking a step back from his 4th incarnation's personality. Tom Baker is incredible but he's also quite, quite mad and after 7 years of that it was nice to have a bit of a breather with a more relaxed and restrained incarnation.

Tom Baker's first season has a string of excellent stories I think are definitely worth checking out. And yes watch as much of Troughton as you possibly can. My go-to recommendation is usually The Seeds of Death, though Tomb of the Cybermen is great as well and pretty topical given this season. Plus of course there's now a fully animated version of lost classic Power of the Daleks available to watch. The War Games is probably his very best story but it's also his last (and 4 hours long!) so I wouldn't suggest it as a starting point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Basically every Doctor is a good Doctor, they just sometimes have bad stories.

Eh, there's a couple bad Doctors that sometimes have good stories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eh, there's a couple bad Doctors that sometimes have good stories.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW <:mad:>

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW <:mad:>

A hiatus is the perfect time to discuss ugly truths. :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's weird because I kind of like Davison as The Doctor, but I've watched Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday and Caves of Androzani and something's just not clicking with the 5th Doctor stories.

As far as Troughton, all his stories that I really want to watch are the early stuff, and none of it is available on Britbox right now.

I guess I posted because I really didn't expect to like Colin Baker as much as I do, but I really dig the 6th Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just listened to Big Finish's interview with Colin Baker, and both he and Briggs speculate that a lot of 6 hate is not necessarily due to the stories themselves, but due to contemporary knowledge of Baker being sacked, and modern "common knowledge" that 6 was the one that is bad. Like a self-fulfilling hate prophecy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
also the stories are mostly bad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know 6 has been redeemed by his audio stories, but when you judge him purely on his televised stories, he's a Bad Doctor. He's prickly in a smug kind of way, he's arrogant, he's violent, he's downright cruel to Peri at times. Combine that personality with subpar writing and it's no surprise casual fans don't care for him.

I know Colin is a wonderful person and I'm aware of the production issues of that era, but why didn't anyone pick up on this at the time and go "Hey, wait a second, gents..."

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

See, the prickly smugness and arrogance are what I like about him. The dickishness to Peri can be a bit much sometime though, granted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's so sad because even with the benefit of hindsight and knowing everything was basically going against him (his only supporter was JNT who was increasingly checking out/going through the motions) so many of his episodes are really awful and there are so few episodes to begin with.

There is the old "Some say it is a classic" joke about Vengeance on Varos, but I do think The Two Doctors is the story that best showcases what could have been. I really loved that story, not just because Troughton (:swoon:) was in it, but because Six is at his most charming/competent and the Six/Peri/Jamie trio is incredibly effective.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Two Doctors is an anomaly, yeah. I do really enjoy that story, even though 6 has never clicked for me in other stuff. I wish Troughton had done another special before the original series ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A hiatus is the perfect time to discuss ugly truths. :colbert:

With that being said!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825880