Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Schwarzwald posted:

Anime is good.

More like KY-deen.
____________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Raideen kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJn7sM-oqI

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Anime is good.

Lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4quXc9liq7g

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mochiroh/status/876072271395172352

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
meanwhile apparently THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING??

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda/status/877501323809140736

I still have a GaoGaiGo figure in my closet. I can't believe it's been so long. This is never going to be translated and it kills me but look at this!!

http://www.yatate.net/gaogaigar/ggg.html

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So it's a light novel?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
It looks to be a series of novels that serves to better tie GaoGaiGar and Betterman, the first (preFINAL) occurring... pre-FINAL, the second (FINALplus) looks to be a retelling of FINAL I guess? And the third, King of Braves GaoGaiGar vs. Betterman, occurring 10 years after FINAL.

I basically just learned about this 20 minutes ago :psyduck:

Chibs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 28, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Maybe it'll get an anime adaptation someday. If we're brave enough, that is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am more excited for more Fireball than more Gaogaigar

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe it'll get an anime adaptation someday. If we're brave enough, that is.

I'm still hoping for a great mecha anime season. Maybe this, crossbones and something new and cool will hit all at once. :negative: I can dream.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really love Gaogaigar but I don't actually want more of it, I think. Either the ending of the series or the ending of Final are both really good, tight, and thematically consistent ways to end the show; you basically get to choose if you want sweet(series ending) or bittersweet(Final ending).

Most shows can't even manage one good ending, nevermind two.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

If the 29 on Gedächtnis is his new model number then if there's a new season coming its probably another prequel, which I don't mind even if I still want to see what happened to Drossel and crew after the end of season one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a sudden desire to rewatch VOTOMS and so I am. I'm having a good time but I just have to wonder: Was the first episode written way before the others as proof of concept or something? Chirico's change in personality in ep 2 is really weird, especially considering the backstory we learn later.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory is being postponed until "Spring 2018".

Personally I'm fine with waiting if it leads to a better show in the end.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/alphajarmel/status/881284706330828800

New Full Metal Panic S3 trailer.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
finally got around to finishing gaogaigar then final. seems kind of unnecessary to end it with everyone in GGG dying, including the robots. maybe grand glorious gathering retcons it? i don't have any inclination to watch it, especially since final already dragged on (though it had some nice animation)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Relin posted:

finally got around to finishing gaogaigar then final. seems kind of unnecessary to end it with everyone in GGG dying, including the robots. maybe grand glorious gathering retcons it? i don't have any inclination to watch it, especially since final already dragged on (though it had some nice animation)

There's two ways to interpret the GGG Final ending, really, and I think both work really well for the final animated GGG production.

First, you could interpret it in the optimistic way; the GGG people have made a habit of crawling and scraping their way to victory in situations that have otherwise seemed completely impossible before, and it's entirely possible they do it again and make their way home; believe in your heroes and they will turn 1 into 100%. IIRC, this actually happens in side material, though don't quote me on that.

The second way you can interpret it is in the bittersweet way; GGG have fought their ultimate battle of all and done the impossible by saving the universe from destruction, and as their last act of heroism they saved their chosen sons. It's a noble, selfless, heroic end perfectly suited for a noble, selfless, heroic organization. In this scenario, Mamoru and Kaidou will likely spend their lives dedicated to GGG's memory and making sure that GGG's heroism and sacrifice will always be remembered.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I really hope they don't skip the boat book. It's a lot of fun.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
yeah i was just thinking theres probably a drama cd or a 711 only pamphlet released for 2 weeks in 2007 that expands on the story OR SOMETHING

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Relin posted:

yeah i was just thinking theres probably a drama cd or a 711 only pamphlet released for 2 weeks in 2007 that expands on the story OR SOMETHING

It'd presumably have been explained in Project Z, a follow up to GGG that was teased on the GGG Final DVD set. It would have featured Mamoru and Kaidou copiloting the "GaiGo" and have crossed over more heavily with the Betterman series.

Nothing came of it until the novels (?) that have just been announced a week ago.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/882162133399552005

Patlabor is in City Shrouded in Shadow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's cool but at the same time the more licensed stuff there is in it, the less likely there is to be an English version.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Are Code Geass R2 and R3 both Bad? I liked the first season and was in the mood to watch something else but I don't remember hearing it was awful.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 4, 2017

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Are Code Geass R2 and R32 both Bad? I liked the first season and was in the mood to watch something else but I don't remember hearing it was awful.

R2 has problems and it varies from person to person how much that affects the quality of the show. I think it's still pretty good but worse than the first season but some people really hate it. R3 isn't out yet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Droyer posted:

R2 has problems and it varies from person to person how much that affects the quality of the show. I think it's still pretty good but worse than the first season but some people really hate it. R3 isn't out yet.

Oh I didn't realize the 3rd one wasn't out yet!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kanos posted:

There's two ways to interpret the GGG Final ending, really, and I think both work really well for the final animated GGG production.

First, you could interpret it in the optimistic way; the GGG people have made a habit of crawling and scraping their way to victory in situations that have otherwise seemed completely impossible before, and it's entirely possible they do it again and make their way home; believe in your heroes and they will turn 1 into 100%. IIRC, this actually happens in side material, though don't quote me on that.

The second way you can interpret it is in the bittersweet way; GGG have fought their ultimate battle of all and done the impossible by saving the universe from destruction, and as their last act of heroism they saved their chosen sons. It's a noble, selfless, heroic end perfectly suited for a noble, selfless, heroic organization. In this scenario, Mamoru and Kaidou will likely spend their lives dedicated to GGG's memory and making sure that GGG's heroism and sacrifice will always be remembered.

I BELIEVE MY HEROES WILL RETURN

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm really glad Iczer-1 revealed what happened to Kamille and Fa after Gundam ZZ. And is apparently an Akira prequel as well.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

StrixNebulosa posted:

:ughh:

The opening theme is like the only good thing about that anime. It just fell apart the further along it went.

I always feel weird about the fact that I wholeheartedly love Brain Powerd and it's weird story. It atleast makes more sense if you consider the idea that the big continent sized monster thing doesn't actually give a gently caress and just wants to leave, and literally everyone has misunderstood that fact.

E: what the hell, that's literally Fa and Kamille there.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Raxivace posted:

I'm really glad Iczer-1 revealed what happened to Kamille and Fa after Gundam ZZ. And is apparently an Akira prequel as well.

Don't forget Josuke acquiring a thing for sleeveless jackets!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Brave Raideen sure is a television show.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Has there been any mecha show worth watching in the last few years? I was taking a look at a wiki to find out something to watch, and it really feels like I should just watch IBO/Origin and pretend other robot shows just stopped existing like ten years ago.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Active Raid was good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Kuromukuro was great but the mechanics of the mechs aren't really the focus, if that's what you were looking for.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Watch Voltron.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't watch IBO

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Watch Voltron.

Seconded. It's technically not anime, being a western production and all, but Voltron: Legendary Defender is still a really good mecha anime and well worth the watch.

I have no idea how it compares to older GoLion/Voltron shows because I haven't watched any and all my GoLion knowledge comes from Super Robot Wars W, but it's a very good show on its own anyways, since it has no actual connection to the other shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

don't watch IBO

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seconded. It's technically not anime, being a western production and all, but Voltron: Legendary Defender is still a really good mecha anime and well worth the watch.

I have no idea how it compares to older GoLion/Voltron shows because I haven't watched any and all my GoLion knowledge comes from Super Robot Wars W, but it's a very good show on its own anyways, since it has no actual connection to the other shows.

GoLion is good by absolutely no accounts. I tried watching it once and checked out as soon as the opening narration said "the warrior looked like five lions, thus he was named GoLion" (well, the terrible animation didn't help).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

dogsicle posted:

don't watch IBO

Counterpoint: Watch IBO