Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Asterios good? I can't get any other Berserkers than him.

He's 1 star, so his stats are low, but his skillset is great, and his NP is surprisingly useful against bosses and other difficult fights. He's quite useful, but because he dies easily, consider equipping him with a defensive CE, and plan your back row around the premise that he'll die partway through the battle. Consider pairing him with defensive servants like Mash.

There's a series of videos on niconico a Japanese player did where he clears most of the difficult bosses in the game using pretty much only 1 star servants. In a lot of those it basically came down to covering the party with buffs and the enemy with debuffs, then beating the poo poo out of them with Asterios.

Rare servants have more stats than common servants, but commons are much, much cheaper to level up and ascend, and almost all of them can fill some niche in a party. Plus, it'll be a long time before your master level is high enough to fill your party with 4-5 servants and CEs. Developing a common servant and including them in your team can let you slot in a Kaleidoscope or something that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
From the duel daily: look my pal Gil, I know gold is your thing but I really need pieces, not monuments!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So are we not getting the free 4* anymore?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Someday. Perhaps even soon? They still haven't said.

All the other launch bonuses stay up until the end of July so presumably whatever they do will be available at least that long.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

PureRok posted:

So are we not getting the free 4* anymore?
We will... Eventually. The JP version did it by typing in your friendcode to their website to select one, and they will mail the servant to your account immediately.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I want mysterious Heroine X Alter. I thought I'd be satisfied after getting Jalter but no...The hunger continues.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any point in doing the daily event quest over the ember gathering quests?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They drop different things so it depends what you need. If the EXP is still useful to you then the 40AP ember gathering is generally the best option, though.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Hunt11 posted:

Is there any point in doing the daily event quest over the ember gathering quests?

You mean the 3 Knights or 4 Horsemen one? On Tuesday and Wednesday it's for gathering class pieces, monuments and void dust for ascension mats. On Thursday and Friday it's for gathering skill gems and various ascension mats that drop from monsters.

EDIT: Saturday and Sunday are the same as Tuesday and Wednesday.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I need 9 more pieces to Ascend Waver a second time. I'd have three more if I hadn't ascended Shakespear.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So are any good servants hidden behind completing the main quests? I am half way or so through Rome and want to know if there is any hero I should be trying to save up for.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cu Chulainn Alter but if anything he's gonna appear only in like next year lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Are kaleidoscopes good I just got two in a row?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hunt11 posted:

So are any good servants hidden behind completing the main quests? I am half way or so through Rome and want to know if there is any hero I should be trying to save up for.

Lalter is an unlockable from London, Cu Alter is an unlockable from America, Quetzacoatl from Babylon, and Emiya (Alter) from Shinjuku are all good. You will not be seeing most of these for at least a year, although London might drop in 4 months.

sassassin posted:

Yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sassassin posted:

kaleidoscopes are insanely good. don't feed one to the other, you'll want two.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's weird that the Alter version is released earlier and also considered to be better than the "normal" versions, but I guess that's because the current meta is all about damage dealing (and to begin with the game's limited healing doesn't really support tanking) and out racing the enemy in a fight.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
????? I can't think of a single Alter servant that was released before the original

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lancer Artoria

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There is no rule that says an imitation cannot surpass the original.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

There is no rule that says an imitation cannot surpass the original.
:golfclap:

I spotted like a level 90 Ruler in the wild and when I tried adding them their friend list was already full, some people go at this game hard god drat.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

????? I can't think of a single Alter servant that was released before the original
also she isnt an alter but we got tamamo cat before tamamo proper

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

:stare:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Whoops, y'all are right

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Endorph posted:

also she isnt an alter but we got tamamo cat before tamamo proper
This is fine because Tamamo Cat's aprilfool sprite rules, when do get those.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Powerful

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ka-kin ka-ching

Edit: Although on the flipside if you're already going to whale that loving hard, who the hell could you conceivably still need to buy?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
No wonder Aniplex made like over a 100 million$ this year...

I'm debating putting FGO NA on my phone so I can do some quests and be AP efficient during lunch at work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pierson posted:

This is fine because Tamamo Cat's aprilfool sprite rules, when do get those.

april fool's

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Does anyone have an exact drop rate on ghost lanterns? I've run Mt. Etna a whole bunch without getting a single one.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Well, I rerolled for a while once we got the convention 20 star quartz and now I'm kind of at an impasse. I barely know anything about the Fate series beyond how goofy and neat Unlimited Blade Works chant and look are, so my first account I kept once I got Emiya. It's now got Emiya, Tamamo, a Heaven's Feel CE and Kaleidoscope. Problem is my second account has Waver on it. I have Martha as well on that account and just drew a Kaleidoscope after I hit a 30 draw on it with grinded out star quartz. Both accounts have Robin Hood and Actual Cu Chulainn (not proto) too. I'm just not sure which one to keep... I think Waver is the better one, but I'm not sure. Or maybe I should just reroll for a better Waver account?

Basically I'm just not sure what to do. Emiya's UBW is the only thing I know from this whole series so I like him a lot, but I can tell Waver is amazing even now with barely any experience in this game. What do y'all think? Reroll for Waver+Emiya (which could take ages) or keep one of these?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You can keep the Waver account and whenever the 'Pick your 4* Hero' promo drops you can pick up Emiya.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jack Van Burace posted:

Well, I rerolled for a while once we got the convention 20 star quartz and now I'm kind of at an impasse. I barely know anything about the Fate series beyond how goofy and neat Unlimited Blade Works chant and look are, so my first account I kept once I got Emiya. It's now got Emiya, Tamamo, a Heaven's Feel CE and Kaleidoscope. Problem is my second account has Waver on it. I have Martha as well on that account and just drew a Kaleidoscope after I hit a 30 draw on it with grinded out star quartz. Both accounts have Robin Hood and Actual Cu Chulainn (not proto) too. I'm just not sure which one to keep... I think Waver is the better one, but I'm not sure. Or maybe I should just reroll for a better Waver account?

Basically I'm just not sure what to do. Emiya's UBW is the only thing I know from this whole series so I like him a lot, but I can tell Waver is amazing even now with barely any experience in this game. What do y'all think? Reroll for Waver+Emiya (which could take ages) or keep one of these?

IMO stick with Waver. Emiya is much easier to pick up eventually just through rolling for whatever waifu piques your interest down the road.

EDIT: oh yeah, the free 4* pick is a thing too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pureauthor posted:

ka-kin ka-ching

Edit: Although on the flipside if you're already going to whale that loving hard, who the hell could you conceivably still need to buy?

For that much money he could have bought considerable stock in the company.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

serefin99 posted:

Does anyone have an exact drop rate on ghost lanterns? I've run Mt. Etna a whole bunch without getting a single one.

Crowd-sourced data from the Japanese version suggests it's somewhere around 1.5% per ghost, so you can expect to see one every ten runs or so. Of course there's some room for error there; it might well be worse than that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there another singularity after Rome?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Is there another singularity after Rome?

not yet

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pureauthor posted:

ka-kin ka-ching

You'll have to forgive any mistakes here because I'm a dumb liberal arts major, but I believe that on average, it would take 500 spins of the Gacha to get 5x of a 5* Servant (assuming you were cursed to only draw a particular 5*). This would cost $880 dollars using the most cost-efficient purchase in the store. And that just gives you the opportunity to start acquiring Blank Saint Graphs. Again, assuming you were cursed to only draw a particular 5*, getting 91 BSG after this point would take 9,100 rolls on average, or 27,300 Saint Quartz, or $15,600 dollars. You could buy a loving car.

In real terms it would naturally take much more than that, since your odds of drawing any particular 5* Servant are only 1/5. You'd inevitably max out most of your 5* Servants before you really started getting Blank Saint Graphs in sizeable numbers. And this is from the JPN server, where there are many more 5* Servants than on NA--your odds of drawing duplicates of a Servant you already have 5 duplicates of are much lower there. We're talking down payment on a house, here.

At least you can say this is the worst it can possibly get--

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm debating putting FGO NA on my phone so I can do some quests and be AP efficient during lunch at work.

I foolishly did that. I'm only doing the 40ap xp daily, so assuming I don't level up it takes 3 hours and some change to regen enough ap so it's not a huuuuuge productivity killer