Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Furnaceface posted:

They took the Stanley Cup champion to double overtime game 7. The east sucks poo poo, anything can happen.

Like, Buffalo making the SCF wouldnt even phase me at this point.

That would rule, lets go Buffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The stars might be good this year

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The D-corps is still garbage and I'm not sold that the guy you have in net is going to cover for it.
Ben Bishop's best year was behind the Tampa Bay d-corps which is staggeringly underrated and is so far beyond what Dallas can offer.

In other words, they're going to win games 7-6 or they're going to lose.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The Leafs getting Marleau has me all hot and bothered even though I realize it's no longer 2006. But it's a name I actually recognize. Gonna have to watch them more this year. Are they a dark house for the Eastern conference finals?

They could theoretically make the ECF if they keep the core healthy. Two of the recent Atlantic contenders in the Habs and Panthers took some big, ugly, steps backwards and no-one has really stepped up to the plate.
Having said that, there's no way Nylander, Matthews and Marner play as many games this year as they did last year. I'm not sold that they'll be contenders for the cup, but there's a real chance they'll come out on top of the garbage pile sundae that is the Atlantic.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I dunno, duplicating what Ottawa did seems improbable if not impossible.

step 1: employ erik karlsson
step 2: ?????

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

fits posted:

step 1: employ erik karlsson
step 2: ?????

step 2: make sure he has atleast 1 foot intact

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Schlesische posted:

They could theoretically make the ECF if they keep the core healthy. Two of the recent Atlantic contenders in the Habs and Panthers took some big, ugly, steps backwards and no-one has really stepped up to the plate.
Having said that, there's no way Nylander, Matthews and Marner play as many games this year as they did last year. I'm not sold that they'll be contenders for the cup, but there's a real chance they'll come out on top of the garbage pile sundae that is the Atlantic.

I think you're forgetting that Tampa is in the Atlantic and really loving good when healthy. I mean, they're even willing to handicap themselves by signing Girardi! Isn't that nice of them?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If Honka can play a full season I think he could be really good for them. Between him, Klingberg, Lindell, and now Heiskanen they have a really strong future there, it's just how quickly it all comes together.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Schlesische posted:

The D-corps is still garbage and I'm not sold that the guy you have in net is going to cover for it.
Ben Bishop's best year was behind the Tampa Bay d-corps which is staggeringly underrated and is so far beyond what Dallas can offer.

In other words, they're going to win games 7-6 or they're going to lose.

They won the west with a better d (not like a good one, just better than this crop) and really really bad goaltending.

They were bad last year but everyone was out to start the season and when they caught some stride they were already way too far gone from the playoff picture.

Honestly, it could be a coin flip but I'm optimistic. I highly doubt they're able to be as bad as last year at the very least. Despite the central being the central I don't see Winnipeg taking a major step, the hawks probably don't do so well this year and Minnesota is gonna get worse. And since the Atlantic is still p bad I imagine the stars make the playoffs provided they don't get hosed with injuries again.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Any team that is not a threat for the #1 overall pick has a worthwhile shot at making the conference finals.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jehde posted:

step 2: make sure he has atleast 1 foot intact

Step 2 actually ended up being "Give Craig Anderson's wife cancer."

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The Leafs getting Marleau has me all hot and bothered even though I realize it's no longer 2006. But it's a name I actually recognize. Gonna have to watch them more this year. Are they a dark house for the Eastern conference finals?

The Atlantic is such a trash division even Buffalo is a dark horse for the conference finals (where they will be shitcanned by whoever wins the Metro).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

The Atlantic is such a trash division even Buffalo is a dark horse for the conference finals (where they will be shitcanned by whoever wins the Metro).

The Pacific looks like its going to be Anaheim and Edmonton by default featuring the shambling remains of some other teams and oh look the new kid.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ottawa's my pick to take a step back next year, among all the other factors they were the only playoff team with a negative goal differential and that's just :lol:

Tampa should be fine but losing Bishop/Drouin and adding literal anchor Dan Girardi sorta tempers my expectations for them. They should be a playoff team but I don't know if they run away with the division.

Boston should be pretty good, probably better than last year.

I feel like Montreal took a step back this offseason but they always find a way to supplement with depth signings popping off and ultimately Price is good enough to carry them.

Florida straight up sabotaged their team. I don't know that Buffalo's done enough to separate themselves. Detroit doesn't know they're already dead.

Leafs are gonna be fighting for a wildcard again next year, imo. If Montreal somehow drops off or Tampa's D/G crumble then things might be different.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Furnaceface posted:

They took the Stanley Cup champion to double overtime game 7. The east sucks poo poo, anything can happen.

Like, Buffalo making the SCF wouldnt even phase me at this point.

The worst team in the playoffs *got* to the Stanley Cup Final, I guess the west sucks poo poo too

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ApK-RKqdc

Why isn't anybody taking Kole Lind?

I wish more teams did stuff this, the Canucks media team rules for releasing stuff like this

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

Yeah if it's one year for cheap, fine, but that's not happening. Hextall said he didn't want to sign veterans to block the kids. It doesn't make sense for anyone.

Well, let's look at the Flyers defense:

Provorov - McDonald (ugh)
Ghost - Morin / Sanheim / Haigh
Gudas - Manning or one of the Rookies

I guess the question is how many young defense men are you willing to risk at once?

Personally, at this point I say roll the dice and let the kids just play. From an eye test at 4 Phantoms games, I wasn't impressed with Morin, but between him, Sanheim, Hagg, etc, someone has to be ready to play.

Best option: Hextall signs Markov, trades McDonald to Canadians with no salary retention.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sabres acquired a lot of hope and potential, with tons of shiny fresh faces, tons of competition for every spot in the line-up, and the best nostalgia treat money could buy. They could go dead last or pull a Nasvhille repeat. Time will tell. None of their contracts screw them if they have to re-boot in two years though, which is one of the better parts of all of this.

At the very least, the games will be interesting to watch again, even if we get scored on 5 times each game now. I'm hoping it'll be the turnaround Toronto had last year, but you know, better.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm still trying to figure out what Ottawa's D pairings will be. Do they put Phaneuf up with Karlsson? And then who do they saddle Ceci with?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Buffalo makes the SCF I will murder whatis, to set the universe right.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

And then who do they saddle Ceci with?

Thomas Chabot, and in 5 months' time everyone will be wondering why he's having such a disappointing rookie season.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Aphrodite posted:

i have oft considered you have somewhat wrong greek god as your nickname.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what Ottawa's D pairings will be. Do they put Phaneuf up with Karlsson? And then who do they saddle Ceci with?

Karlsson will be paired with everyone. He will never leave the ice.

Ottawa will have 5 D pairings.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:siren: Another Knights trade! :siren:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/882254483350147072

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

tough but fair

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How much salary did they retain?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Florida straight up sabotaged their team.

I don't think is is as true as people think.

Dadonov and Vrbata should be equal to Marchessault and Reilly Smith*. If the team can actually be anywhere near healthy I don't think they're any worse this year than last outside of whatever they do to replace Jagr, though it could still be Jagr.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 4, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Jordan7hm posted:

How much salary did they retain?

I would hope none if it's only for a 5th round pick.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I keep looking for the pens to do something about the 3C vacancy and the defense, but I'm starting to think they are just waiting on a good trade
deal for a center, and have decided to run with the Mostly Bad Defense & A Good Goalie strategy that worked so well these playoffs.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think is is as true as people think.

Dadonov and Vrbata should be equal to Marchessault and Reilly Smith*. If the team can actually be anywhere near healthy I don't think they're any worse this year than last outside of whatever they do to replace Jagr, though it could still be Jagr.

I still consider Dadonov a relative unknown at this point and Vrbata is 36. I think the likely scenario for them is being a side-grade to the players that were moved out but there's a lot more risk imo.

Considering the Panthers made their moves to cut salary I doubt any major additions are coming and losing Jagr is a pretty big deal. Plus Jokinen is still a useful guy even if he had a down year offensively.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vrbata is better than Smith, but yeah he's old.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't disagree with any of that but I think people need to rememeber how hosed up Florida was with injuries. Coupled with having a stable coaching situation I don't think they're suddenly an awful team. They're probably not better though.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/882263721724215298

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I don't disagree with any of that but I think people need to rememeber how hosed up Florida was with injuries. Coupled with having a stable coaching situation I don't think they're suddenly an awful team. They're probably not better though.

they lost a bunch of forward depth and have failed to adequately replace it. its bad

out: jokinen, smith, marchesseault, jagr, vanek
in: dadonov, vrbata.

bad.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 4, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vrbata is good in the shootout too. he also taught boedker how to do his move so maybe he can do that in florida

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Kruger is a lot cheaper than his cap hit for the next two seasons, surprised VGK only got a 5th for him.
Edit: Colorado signed Yak City.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 4, 2017

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Thufir posted:

:rip: yak

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Thufir posted:

Oh dear. As I wrote earlier:

Kilza posted:

I do think he'll be a good cheap pick-up for some team, a "reclamation" type player. The only question is whether or not the team he signs with will actually use him efficiently. Say something like sheltered middle 6 minutes and on one of the PP units. I hope they do since I still like Yakupov and want him to succeed.

I don't trust the Avs to use him efficiently. I don't think this is going to end well. :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/882279491988598788

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
WELCOME TO YAK CITY BITCHES

Feels good to actually say that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So is Kovalchuk the only interesting free agent left? The rest of the list is basically him, Cody Franson, Drew Stafford and Johnny Oduya.

Oh god we're into the horrible doldrums of the offseason aren't we.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

they lost a bunch of forward depth and have failed to adequately replace it. its bad

out: jokinen, smith, marchesseault, jagr, vanek
in: dadonov, vrbata.

bad.

jokinen sucked last year and Vanek was a rental that played 20 games.

They still have to add 5 players to their roster. I'm sure they can find a couple of 25 point forwards to do what Jokinen and Vanek did.

The only piece they've actually lost and not covered is Jagr meanwhile they hopefully have Huberdeau for more than 30 games and Bjugstad could unfuck himself.

Again they aren't better but they aren't actually worse than where they were last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:unsmith:

:smith:

• Locked thread