Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

I received my R7 1700 yesterday and the first AMD experience in over a decade is not so pleasant, although it isn't AMD's fault. I ordered 16GB of GSkill Trident-Z RGB RAM with it because that was the only Samsung B-die RAM in stock.

Long story short, my attempt at turning off the RGB lights bricked both RAM sticks. The RGB lights are controlled by an SPD setting and the Gskill software has a problem with the Ryzen platform's SMBus, so it (sometimes?) writes garbage to the SPD and bricks RAM sticks.

According to other people with this problem Gskill does not honor warranty for sticks with rewritten SPD. Lovely!

Fortunately there is a solution. http://softnology.biz sells software for $16 that can flash SPDs and has a database of common RAM sticks. Since GSkill doesn't write things like serial number or manufacturing date into their modules it should be possible restore them to factory conditon.

The only problem is that I have to find an Intel DDR4 system to do this because this Ryzen system straight up doesn't recognise the sticks anymore, not even in the BIOS.

TLDR: Don't buy dumb RGB RAM for your Ryzen systems. Actually don't buy dumb RGB RAM period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
RGB is cancer, that just goes without saying.

I will allow for a low-intensity single color of backlight on such things like keyboards to allow for things like night typing, but it must come in a color that minimizes blue light.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 4, 2017

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

eames posted:

Long story short, my attempt at turning off the RGB lights bricked both RAM sticks. The RGB lights are controlled by an SPD setting and the Gskill software has a problem with the Ryzen platform's SMBus, so it (sometimes?) writes garbage to the SPD and bricks RAM sticks.

According to other people with this problem Gskill does not honor warranty for sticks with rewritten SPD. Lovely!

What the gently caress. I always see people recommending this exact RAM too.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for getting ram to run at it's advertised speed? I bought some corsair 3200mhz, that was on my motherboards QVL running at 3200mhz:

a-xmp doesn't work, and setting it manually to 3200 doesn't work. I set the timings/voltage according to the sticker on the ram (16-18-18-36 at 1.36V) but it doesn't post. It's stable at 2933, but I've got an itch that only 3200 will scratch.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Slightly OT, but when iPhone 7 was already using LPDDR4-4266 last year and yet so many people are still having so many problems running just 2 DDDR4 sticks @ 3000+ MHz on either Intel or AMD systems I guess we hit a brick wall for RAM in a socketable form.

eames
May 9, 2009

Visidan posted:

What the gently caress. I always see people recommending this exact RAM too.

The comments of this Youtube video show that not just my system, sadly I didn't see it earlier or I would have ordered different B-die RAM elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARfK-YLaPZo

I've got a spare PC-2133 stick here so the system boots but neither of the Gskill sticks shows up anywhere, not even in the SPD software. Intel systems are supposedly better at recognising sticks with corrupt SPD so I'm going to try that with a friend's system later today.
The "Taiphoon Burner" licenses are system-specific so I get to buy a license for his system. :suicide:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Palladium posted:

Slightly OT, but when iPhone 7 was already using LPDDR4-4266 last year and yet so many people are still having so many problems running just 2 DDDR4 sticks @ 3000+ MHz on either Intel or AMD systems I guess we hit a brick wall for RAM in a socketable form.

I mean, if whoever's-in-charge-of-RAM-software only had to get like one or two SKUs figured out instead of all of them, we might be there.

Do we know the timings on iPhone RAM?

nerox
May 20, 2001
I dread the day I can't be a decent case with a solid panel instead of a window. Why do people want ram sticks that light up of all things.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

I mean, if whoever's-in-charge-of-RAM-software only had to get like one or two SKUs figured out instead of all of them, we might be there.

Do we know the timings on iPhone RAM?

considering the RAM is integrated into the package the latency is probably pretty low

ufarn
May 30, 2009

nerox posted:

I dread the day I can't be a decent case with a solid panel instead of a window. Why do people want ram sticks that light up of all things.
I apparently got a downgraded fan controller with my BeQuiet Dark Base 900, because I didn't want the Pro version with a window and, hold on to your butts, wireless Qi charger.

Computer hardware is so loving dumb.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I like the RGB stuff sometimes because I treat my computer as both tool and art, but I'm thinking subtle accents not the rave party that seems to becoming into vogue. God, I must be getting old.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

nerox posted:

I dread the day I can't be a decent case with a solid panel instead of a window.

We'll love you no matter how you look.

RGB stuff is alright, I just don't spend enough time looking at my components to justify spending additional money to make them light up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How will you know your computer is on without pulsing light coming from your pc or pc accessories :confused:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nerox posted:

I just swapped the panels on my case :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

How will you know your computer is on without pulsing light coming from your pc or pc accessories :confused:

Yeah, this but unironically. I kind of like being able to see the glowing lights through the back of my fan exhaust to know it's running. Everything else is solid, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I won't even buy RAM with heatspreaders, let alone lights

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

What kind of sociopath plugs in their flashing HDD chassis light.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

What kind of sociopath plugs in their flashing HDD chassis light.

it'd actually be useful since SSDs exist now, but it doesn't exist on my case :argh:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

underage at the vape shop posted:

Any tips for getting ram to run at it's advertised speed? I bought some corsair 3200mhz, that was on my motherboards QVL running at 3200mhz:

a-xmp doesn't work, and setting it manually to 3200 doesn't work. I set the timings/voltage according to the sticker on the ram (16-18-18-36 at 1.36V) but it doesn't post. It's stable at 2933, but I've got an itch that only 3200 will scratch.

It took an OC of my chip to get that exact ram set to run at 3200. If you loosen the timings will it run at 3200?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Truga posted:

it'd actually be useful since SSDs exist now

Please explain

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SinineSiil posted:

Please explain

You could hear HDDs doing work, now if you're stuck on a loading screen there's literally zero feedback whether your thing is just feeling like loading slowly today or if it hanged.

vvvv: that's fair.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

You could hear HDDs doing work, now if you're stuck on a loading screen there's literally zero feedback whether your thing is just feeling like loading slowly today or if it hanged.

This is what the scroll lock button on your keyboard is for, testing to see if it's hung.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Truga posted:

vvvv: that's fair.

Ahh, makes sense!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Measly Twerp posted:

This is what the scroll lock button on your keyboard is for, testing to see if it's hung.

How does that work?

eames
May 9, 2009

The Trident-Z had significantly better timings than the more expensive non-RGB part, so it seemed like a no-brainer because my Define S has no window.
Anyway, we were able to revive one stick on a Intel board. Second one is still completely dead. Fingers crossed for RMA.

Other observations:
The 1700 stock cooler has a vapor-chamber core, not a solid copper core like most Intel coolers. Cools much better than I expected. Think twice before ordering some Noctua monster unless you need more than 3.8 Ghz.

IOMMU groups are fine but turns out that my board does not have the additional separate SATA controller. There's no isolation between on-die controllers, so I can't just pass through one of the two internal SATA controllers. I can pass through the NVME drive though so that's no problem. VM CPU performance is still abysmal without NPT but at least the KVM maintainers acknowledged the bug.

UnRAID is buggy and requires C-States to be disabled in the BIOS. The system pulls almost 110W idle at 3.7 Ghz and "auto" vCore. (Seasonic Titanium PSU) :derp:

I'm going to keep ~25W Haswell system as a NAS and will be using this AMD box with a OS on bare metal until stuff gets fixed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

How does that work?

if the computer's hanged itself, the lock keys on your keyboard will not respond.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

eames posted:

VM CPU performance is still abysmal without NPT but at least the KVM maintainers acknowledged the bug.

Do you have a link to this or the bug report or something?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Truga posted:

if the computer's hanged itself, the lock keys on your keyboard will not respond.

This is not true in all cases. Sometimes the OS can be totally frozen and the keyboard lights will cycle correctly.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

Buildzoid made a video about ram overclocking on ryzen. Might be something useful in there for you even if you have a different motherboard to his.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v73oXX1C-Q

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is not true in all cases. Sometimes the OS can be totally frozen and the keyboard lights will cycle correctly.

No, because the OS signals the light change. If no part of the OS code is executing, the lights don't change. Sometimes big pieces can be locked, though, and have that portion still function.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

No, because the OS signals the light change. If no part of the OS code is executing, the lights don't change. Sometimes big pieces can be locked, though, and have that portion still function.

mouse frozen, keyboard lights work, os doesn't respond. Machine is frozen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

mouse frozen, keyboard lights work, os doesn't respond. Machine is frozen.

You'll need to explain to me what is triggering the light change then, if not the handler in the OS that's executing on time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

You'll need to explain to me what is triggering the light change then, if not the handler in the OS that's executing on time.

:iiam:, kidding it was actually an AMD driver crash causing this.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

There are times where the system will be otherwise responsive and the keyboard lights work.

But I'll be damned if that's not the first thing I check when I suspect a hang / freeze.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It took an OC of my chip to get that exact ram set to run at 3200. If you loosen the timings will it run at 3200?

I don't know enough to be able to figure out what to set them to on my own.

lovely Treat posted:

Buildzoid made a video about ram overclocking on ryzen. Might be something useful in there for you even if you have a different motherboard to his.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v73oXX1C-Q

I'll watch this in the morning and give it a try, Thanks.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 4, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Truga posted:

I just swapped the panels on my case :v:
I did this too.
(I had to order a side panel from Germany without a window. Thermaltake took 3 weeks to reply to emails / FB messages, I mailed 3 different countries reps before getting one.)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

I don't know enough to be able to figure out what to set them to on my own.

Just make the numbers bigger. So something like 18-20-20-40 instead of 16-18-18-36. Video is good though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

eames posted:

Other observations:
The 1700 stock cooler has a vapor-chamber core, not a solid copper core like most Intel coolers. Cools much better than I expected. Think twice before ordering some Noctua monster unless you need more than 3.8 Ghz.

The Wraith Spire does? I thought only the Wraith Max cooler did.

eames
May 9, 2009

SoftNum posted:

Do you have a link to this or the bug report or something?

Yes, here's the thread: http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/thrd4.html#149446

To quote the KVM Maintainer: "Nested AMD needs some care. It's known, but time has been lacking..."

SourKraut posted:

That's what I thought until I took off the fan to rotate the fan frame (:spergin:)
Here's a vid I found that shows the soldered filling port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8qeLXjiVms&t=139s
Bonus: watch the dude thread steel screws into the aluminum heatsink while it is mounted on his motherboard and blow the shavings into his RAM slots. :stonklol:

eames fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SourKraut posted:

They still get quite toasty at 3.8.

I'd still get a noctua personally. They use dark magic in the fans.