Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

On Terra Firma posted:

Right after I posted that a friend told me a few places where you can compare your price based on what other people paid.

That's what edmunds and kbb do.

On Terra Firma posted:

Looks like they're offering about 1k lower than that which is surprising. There are only two Mazda dealers where I live and I haven't hit up the other one yet. My wife bought her CX5 from the location we went and they said they would give us $500 just for owning two in the same household which is neat.

Dealers sole purpose in life is to get every dollar from you that they can. They're not giving you $500 for nothing. Either you would be able to negotiate that $500 out of them anyway, or they're giving you $500+ too little for your trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If it's an aged '17 they're probably trying to clear inventory for 2018s

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it's an aged '17 they're probably trying to clear inventory for 2018s

That's what I was thinking, but I had assumed that would take place later in the year. This seems a bit early.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nah, it's about time for it, and new car sales have been slowing way down the last few months, so it's very possible that they have more inventory sitting on the lot than they planned for at this point in the cycle and just need to move it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Proposed Budget: 20k, less is preferred always :v:
New or Used: Used preferably (more for my money)
Body Style: 4 door, hatchback, wagon.
How will you be using the car?: Fun DD that is capable of being a baby hauler, can haul my mountain bike.
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage, space, fun to drive. Doesn't have to be a manual, but preferred. Located in Detroit, Michigan. I'll buy snow tires for whatever I get and don't care too much about AWD vs RWD. I drive 2 RWD vehicles year round currently and it's been fine.

I currently have a G35 6MT RWD coupe which I like very much and don't want to get rid of. I also have a 2001 Silverado V8 2WD that I bought to tow, yet haven't towed poo poo except a bicycle around with it. :v: I could probably consolidate my vehicles a bit and get something better suited to my needs but I'm not sure what to look for at the moment. I like the G35 but have a feeling it's going to suck for getting a car seat in the back (baby on the way). The truck is big and old and that would be less of a problem, but it's a bit much to daily drive since it gets <20mpg.

What vehicle could I get to simplify things that's still fun to drive and also fit a car seat in the back? Also, my garage is small and the max length has to be under about 190 inches. An 06 Volvo V70 fit in there, so that's not exactly tiny but a giant SUV probably wouldn't fit (the garage or my wants for "fun").

Thinking about an ATS sedan since depreciation has hit them fairly well but curious if goons have other good suggestions.

Edit: Wife has an Outback that we'll be using for trips and such to fit everything in. This will be for short stuff around town and pickup from daycare and such more than likely.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 4, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I guess the question is just how often will you be having to put a baby seat in this car, and how big of a hardship would it be?

The G35 has plenty of room for a car seat. You might want to do some checking on what will work with it before replacing it - the new car might not be any better.

Between the G35 and the Outback, you would seem to have things pretty well covered for a while. I'm not sure what a new vehicle would do for you.

"Fun to drive" and "has room for kids" are usually mutually exclusive categories. You probably should settle on one or the other. When room for the family becomes top priority, get a minivan and a second car for yourself for fun, if necessary.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Deteriorata posted:

"Fun to drive" and "has room for kids" are usually mutually exclusive categories.

Most of the time. Cars that check both boxes tend to be expensive when they do exist

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Proposed Budget: 20k-22k
New or Used: Likely New -hard to find used that meet my requirements
Body Style: 4 door mid-size sedan
How will you be using the car?: Occasional commuting in heavy Los Angeles Traffic, 50+ miles on weekends. Potential for baby duty in a couple years, hence the size requirements.
Other Notes: Must have some sort of automated emergency braking-I've got a rough driving record and I need the extra help.

1.) Accord Sport w/ Sensing (likely new-probably can't find a used 2016 with the required package). Costco price = $22k. CMBS functions at higher speeds than Mazda's solution
2.) New Mazda6 Touring = $21k-cheaper, may be more fun to drive)
3.) Used Mazda 6 Grand Touring (2015 or newer) = About $19k (dealerships-can't find any private sellers with this model).

Background: I'm moving cross-country to LA and getting married. I'll be selling off my current vehicle, and am looking for a mid-size sedan with the latest safety features since I'm not a great driver. Previously, I've owned older, used cars, so I'm looking forward to better tech, a functional audio system, etc. Are there any other cars I should be looking at in my price range?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

That's what I was thinking, but I had assumed that would take place later in the year. This seems a bit early.

It's a shade early but with the soft market the unit could be pushing 120 days which means it's time to bail from the dealers perspective.

DeceasedHorse posted:

Proposed Budget: 20k-22k
New or Used: Likely New -hard to find used that meet my requirements
Body Style: 4 door mid-size sedan
How will you be using the car?: Occasional commuting in heavy Los Angeles Traffic, 50+ miles on weekends. Potential for baby duty in a couple years, hence the size requirements.
Other Notes: Must have some sort of automated emergency braking-I've got a rough driving record and I need the extra help.

1.) Accord Sport w/ Sensing (likely new-probably can't find a used 2016 with the required package). Costco price = $22k. CMBS functions at higher speeds than Mazda's solution
2.) New Mazda6 Touring = $21k-cheaper, may be more fun to drive)
3.) Used Mazda 6 Grand Touring (2015 or newer) = About $19k (dealerships-can't find any private sellers with this model).

Background: I'm moving cross-country to LA and getting married. I'll be selling off my current vehicle, and am looking for a mid-size sedan with the latest safety features since I'm not a great driver. Previously, I've owned older, used cars, so I'm looking forward to better tech, a functional audio system, etc. Are there any other cars I should be looking at in my price range?

I understand the desire to have tech but in parallel you should think about the root causes of why you aren't a great driver because tech only gets you so far and collisions with tech are extremely expensive.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I understand the desire to have tech but in parallel you should think about the root causes of why you aren't a great driver because tech only gets you so far and collisions with tech are extremely expensive.

Sure, definitely an area I'll work on- I know this isn't a magic bullet/self-driving car, but since I'm moving from a place were transit is an option and back to where it's not I gotta do what I can.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Proposed Budget:Under 10k
New or Used? Guessing used is the only option here
Body Style: 4-door sedan or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Driving to and from work (about 30 mins altogether), road trips once in a while
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage and reliability. Must be automatic.

My gf is looking for a new car after her ancient Honda finally crapped out, and I have no idea how to help because I'm used to living in a place with good public transit and know poo poo-all about cars. For the budget I'm fairly certain used is the only option, but I'm curious if it's feasible to find something with at least a partial warranty left - preliminary research is showing a lot of stuff like Ford Focuses and Fiestas that are just outside of the 3-year warranty range, and I've heard those earlier models have a lot of issues with their automatic gearboxes, as Kyoon mentioned a few posts above.

Any recommendations? She's not picky about extras or anything, a USB port would be nice but not required, and anything else is pretty much gravy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Proposed Budget: 20k, less is preferred always :v:
New or Used: Used preferably (more for my money)
Body Style: 4 door, hatchback, wagon.
How will you be using the car?: Fun DD that is capable of being a baby hauler, can haul my mountain bike.
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage, space, fun to drive. Doesn't have to be a manual, but preferred. Located in Detroit, Michigan. I'll buy snow tires for whatever I get and don't care too much about AWD vs RWD. I drive 2 RWD vehicles year round currently and it's been fine.

I currently have a G35 6MT RWD coupe which I like very much and don't want to get rid of. I also have a 2001 Silverado V8 2WD that I bought to tow, yet haven't towed poo poo except a bicycle around with it. :v: I could probably consolidate my vehicles a bit and get something better suited to my needs but I'm not sure what to look for at the moment. I like the G35 but have a feeling it's going to suck for getting a car seat in the back (baby on the way). The truck is big and old and that would be less of a problem, but it's a bit much to daily drive since it gets <20mpg.

What vehicle could I get to simplify things that's still fun to drive and also fit a car seat in the back? Also, my garage is small and the max length has to be under about 190 inches. An 06 Volvo V70 fit in there, so that's not exactly tiny but a giant SUV probably wouldn't fit (the garage or my wants for "fun").

Thinking about an ATS sedan since depreciation has hit them fairly well but curious if goons have other good suggestions.

Edit: Wife has an Outback that we'll be using for trips and such to fit everything in. This will be for short stuff around town and pickup from daycare and such more than likely.

Before you make any car decisions, have you tried to put the car seat you're going to use in the G35 yet? I would see if it fits and how much of a pain it is before deciding to get a new car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bikini Quilt posted:

Proposed Budget:Under 10k
New or Used? Guessing used is the only option here
Body Style: 4-door sedan or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Driving to and from work (about 30 mins altogether), road trips once in a while
What aspects are most important to you? Mileage and reliability. Must be automatic.

My gf is looking for a new car after her ancient Honda finally crapped out, and I have no idea how to help because I'm used to living in a place with good public transit and know poo poo-all about cars. For the budget I'm fairly certain used is the only option, but I'm curious if it's feasible to find something with at least a partial warranty left - preliminary research is showing a lot of stuff like Ford Focuses and Fiestas that are just outside of the 3-year warranty range, and I've heard those earlier models have a lot of issues with their automatic gearboxes, as Kyoon mentioned a few posts above.

Any recommendations? She's not picky about extras or anything, a USB port would be nice but not required, and anything else is pretty much gravy.

Buy a prius and ignore that warranty thing. I honestly don't know that there is a decent sub-$10k car that still has a remaining warranty. Fits are too $$$. Mazda 2 are only good in manual. The fords with DCTs are problematic. I swear that at least some models were available with traditional slushboxes, but I don't know the details or if I am even remembering correctly. The Yaris is a horrible car as is the versa and any Mitsubishi that doesn't say "evo" on it. I don't know much about the hyundais or kias in the range.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mariooncrack posted:

Before you make any car decisions, have you tried to put the car seat you're going to use in the G35 yet? I would see if it fits and how much of a pain it is before deciding to get a new car.

Oh I'm definitely putting the cart before the horse here. I haven't tried the seat but I have a feeling it will suck. It doesn't really have a middle seat in the back so it'll have to go behind the passenger seat. Wife rarely rides in the car with me (we take her car everywhere) so maybe it will be ok with it just moved really far forward. I just hear tons of people bitch about coupes and car seats and was trying to think ahead since there are about a billion other things to prepare for.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Larrymer posted:

Oh I'm definitely putting the cart before the horse here. I haven't tried the seat but I have a feeling it will suck. It doesn't really have a middle seat in the back so it'll have to go behind the passenger seat. Wife rarely rides in the car with me (we take her car everywhere) so maybe it will be ok with it just moved really far forward. I just hear tons of people bitch about coupes and car seats and was trying to think ahead since there are about a billion other things to prepare for.

My first instinct would be to check out the G35 sedan, if you like the coupe and just want a more accessible rear seat. You'll probably lose a little bit of "fun to drive" but it should be broadly similar?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

nm posted:

Buy a prius and ignore that warranty thing. I honestly don't know that there is a decent sub-$10k car that still has a remaining warranty. Fits are too $$$. Mazda 2 are only good in manual. The fords with DCTs are problematic. I swear that at least some models were available with traditional slushboxes, but I don't know the details or if I am even remembering correctly. The Yaris is a horrible car as is the versa and any Mitsubishi that doesn't say "evo" on it. I don't know much about the hyundais or kias in the range.

Is that just because it's weak/underpowered, or is it actually unreliable or expensive to maintain? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about the Yaris. Does it matter if it's manual or automatic?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ShadeofBlue posted:

Is that just because it's weak/underpowered, or is it actually unreliable or expensive to maintain? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about the Yaris. Does it matter if it's manual or automatic?

It will be reliable. It just sucks and is hateful. Almost everything else in the category (except the versa and mitsus) will be better at everything.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Deteriorata posted:

"Fun to drive" and "has room for kids" are usually mutually exclusive categories. You probably should settle on one or the other.

I don't have kids and have never owned a fun car... is it that you can't really get by with kids in a hot hatch/sport sedan, or that hot hatches/sport sedans aren't really that much fun to drive? Growing up my family always just had sedans (except for a loving SICK 1983 Volvo 240 wagon that I didn't appreciate at all), but that was just 2 kids and 1990s safety standards for car seats and strollers. Minivans were for families with 3+ kids. Am I wrong in thinking something like a GTI or Civic Si sedan would be fine for 1-2 kids as long as we weren't trying to go camping or something?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

prom candy posted:

I don't have kids and have never owned a fun car... is it that you can't really get by with kids in a hot hatch/sport sedan, or that hot hatches/sport sedans aren't really that much fun to drive? Growing up my family always just had sedans (except for a loving SICK 1983 Volvo 240 wagon that I didn't appreciate at all), but that was just 2 kids and 1990s safety standards for car seats and strollers. Minivans were for families with 3+ kids. Am I wrong in thinking something like a GTI or Civic Si sedan would be fine for 1-2 kids as long as we weren't trying to go camping or something?

The problem is that modern car seats and strollers are huge. They can fit into a GTI or Civic SI but it may not be the most comfortable ride for someone sitting in the passenger seat if the seat is moved up all the way. These are hypothetical though. Each car seat is different so it's not an absolute.

Larrymer posted:

Ah that makes sense. I would breathe a little. Once you figure out what car seat you want to use, I'd do a fit test and then decide what you need to do. You have plenty of other things to think about so I'd focus on those. To answer your first question though, you're probably looking at a GTI, Focus ST, or Civic SI. If you take your wife's car everywhere, it shouldn't be a problem to move the passenger seat if need be. With whatever you end up looking at, I would take your wife with you and the car seat you're going to use to see if the car seat fits and if your wife can sit in the passenger seat comfortably, just in case.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

prom candy posted:

It's mostly a factor of the size of modern kid seats, especially when rear facing. My Mazdaspeed3 had plenty of room in the back seat by most definitions, but the rear facing seat was so long that my wife had to sit full forward in the front passenger seat. Now that she's front facing it is cake to fit even her massive booster into the backseat of a regular car, and will be easier with a smaller non-harness booster in the future.

Combine the lack of room with a lack of desire on my part to deal with the increased maintenance required on a hot hatch, and a lack of affordable performance large sedans / wagons / crossovers, and I ended up replacing it with a boring CR-V.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's mostly a factor of the size of modern kid seats, especially when rear facing. My Mazdaspeed3 had plenty of room in the back seat by most definitions, but the rear facing seat was so long that my wife had to sit full forward in the front passenger seat. Now that she's front facing it is cake to fit even her massive booster into the backseat of a regular car, and will be easier with a smaller non-harness booster in the future.

Combine the lack of room with a lack of desire on my part to deal with the increased maintenance required on a hot hatch, and a lack of affordable performance large sedans / wagons / crossovers, and I ended up replacing it with a boring CR-V.

What is really weird is that millions of europeans seem to have no issues getting kid seats in the back of a golf. Do we just have larger child seats?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I thought I remember reading that the Golf had surprisingly roomy rear seats for a hatchback. My wife and I are both pretty short so I won't let the possibility of future children deter me from getting a sedan or a hatch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

What is really weird is that millions of europeans seem to have no issues getting kid seats in the back of a golf. Do we just have larger child seats?

Entirely possible. There are at least some different standards between the US and EU on car seats. EU requires that you can get the kid unbuckled with one hand, last I checked.

I also wouldn't put it past car seat manufacturers to build their seats bigger to appeal to overly paranoid parents who already have the crossover or minivan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

prom candy posted:

I thought I remember reading that the Golf had surprisingly roomy rear seats for a hatchback. My wife and I are both pretty short so I won't let the possibility of future children deter me from getting a sedan or a hatch.

Golfs have been amazingly huge inside since the MK5. I wouldn't be shocked if you could fit a seat in the back of a golf. Let's pretend I said ford focus or even fiesta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Most Euro hatches are quite spacious inside.

Based on my Focus ST I will go ahead and tell you there's no loving way a rear facing child seat fits there.

Edit: the Euros at this point tend to buy weird small MPVs (CX Picassos, S/C Max, Tourans/Sharans/Alteas and crossovers when they have kids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

nm posted:

Can you really get a decent used prius under 10k? My only concern there would be finding one that isn't going to need the hybrid battery replaced soon after buying, since from what I've heard, that can cost upward of a thousand dollars.

I had someone recommend a Hyundai, but I don't know anything about them either.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bikini Quilt posted:

Can you really get a decent used prius under 10k? My only concern there would be finding one that isn't going to need the hybrid battery replaced soon after buying, since from what I've heard, that can cost upward of a thousand dollars.

Yes. Most gen2 priuses won't need batteries for a while. And these days, the cost isn't much more than a timing belt on some cars, which many $10k cars will having coming near.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bikini Quilt posted:

Perhaps a Nissan Versa would do. They've got a good repair rating. You may be able to find a 2016 model for around $10k. A Kia Forte is another one to look at. For Hyundai, look at the Veloster, Sonata, or Accent.

The old stand-by Mazda 3 is another option. The Chevy Volt is another good hybrid.

Another couple of possibilities are the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart. They're both below average in repair costs and you may be able to find one cheap.

My basic recommendation is to go out and drive some and see what you like for $10k. There's not all that much difference in repair costs in modern cars, so actually liking what you're driving matters more than it used to.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I'd go for a Yaris in a heartbeat over a Versa or any cheap Kia. Yarii are unspeakably boring and that centered-gauge cluster on the old ones is awful, but it's a Toyota and holds up to inaction/abuse pretty well.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yaris are cool because they're so drat small. If you live in a city with lots of parallel parking, that's pretty dreamy.

5" less wide and 23" less long than a focus. Those are performance statistics in some arenas. The Yaris has larger (!) headroom/footroom than the focus, too. 15% less turning radius as well.

In almost every other metric the focus is going to beat out the Yaris, but for a cheap Freakin Tiny City Car the Yaris is pretty great.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Based on my Focus ST I will go ahead and tell you there's no loving way a rear facing child seat fits there.

Do you have the Recaros?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

nm posted:

Yes. Most gen2 priuses won't need batteries for a while. And these days, the cost isn't much more than a timing belt on some cars, which many $10k cars will having coming near.

How much can timing belts replacement start to run up to? I was just quoted $750 to do mine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DNK posted:

Yaris are cool because they're so drat small. If you live in a city with lots of parallel parking, that's pretty dreamy.

5" less wide and 23" less long than a focus. Those are performance statistics in some arenas. The Yaris has larger (!) headroom/footroom than the focus, too. 15% less turning radius as well.

In almost every other metric the focus is going to beat out the Yaris, but for a cheap Freakin Tiny City Car the Yaris is pretty great.

If you want a tiny city car, get a FIAT 500 or a Smartcar. The 500 is a foot shorter and the Smart is 4 feet shorter. Neither is very good on the highway, though.

I've never been impressed with anything about the Yaris, tbh. Whatever the main criterion is, there's always another car that's better at it.

The Yaris iA, however, is just a Mazda 2 in disguise and is much better at everything.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Neon Belly posted:

How much can timing belts replacement start to run up to? I was just quoted $750 to do mine.

Seems reasonable for a full timing belt service. I think I paid 660 or so almost 10 years ago for a timing belt service on a Honda Civic. Timing belt and all the seals/gaskets and water pump using OEM parts. You generally do all that while you're in there as the labor is the major cost, not the parts.

Depends on the car and how hard the timing belts are to get to really.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Neon Belly posted:

On longitudual audis it can reach four figures pretty easy. Lot of other hard to access cars get $$$ too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Neon Belly posted:

Yeah, as nm mentioned a bunch of cars have really tough-to-access packaging and many of them are ~$1000-$1300 now to replace timing belt.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yup, Audi used to use timing belts but I believe a lot of them are timing chains now including the A4. There's no replacement interval... and they're interference. I'm afraid one day after 100k miles it just goes "pop" off of the tensioner :-/

In one case at my Euro mechanic, an Audi with a timing belt popped off the tensioner and destroyed pistons and valves. The owner sold it to the shop for scrap value rather than shell out for a repair cost of $car value. That was sad to hear.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 5, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Michael Scott posted:

Yup, Audi used to use timing belts but I believe a lot of them are timing chains now including the A4. There's no replacement interval... and they're interference. I'm afraid one day after 100k miles it just goes "pop" off of the tensioner :-/

The good news is many parts of the car are recyclable now.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Tbf, anything on longitudinal Audis that requires putting the vehicle in 'service position' is going to be expensive, even an alternator replacement. They're kind of an outlier when it comes to service costs.

Michael Scott posted:

In one case at my Euro mechanic, an Audi with a timing belt popped off the tensioner and destroyed pistons and valves. The owner sold it to the shop for scrap value rather than shell out for a repair cost of $car value. That was sad to hear.

This is a lot more common than you think. Every specialty Euro-centric shop that I've ever dealt with has a bunch of 'free' cars sitting around that the vehicle's owner just left there rather than pay the teardown fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

Tbf, anything on longitudinal Audis that requires putting the vehicle in 'service position' is going to be expensive, even an alternator replacement. They're kind of an outlier when it comes to service costs.

This is a lot more common than you think. Every specialty Euro-centric shop that I've ever dealt with has a bunch of 'free' cars sitting around that the vehicle's owner just left there rather than pay the teardown fee.

Audi started a trend. Even my subaru tb job was surprisingly expensive.