Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Generic Monk posted:

considering the RAM is integrated into the package the latency is probably pretty low

This

The capacitance and inductance from the multiple DIMMs and long traces limits max frequency

That said package integrated dram is best and maybe Intel can get off its rear end or and can make a MCM with 16 gb of hbm

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Been loosely digging into running Ryzen at 4GHz. Kind of reads all like a shitshow. I suppose I should sit it out for Zen+ or Zen 2 (or rather, their Threadripper variants), whatever the gently caress was supposed to go up to 4.5GHz.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They still get quite toasty at 3.8.

I'd still get a noctua personally. They use dark magic in the fans.

Yep. My case is full of those classy chocolate and tan motherfuckers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

Yep. My case is full of those classy chocolate and tan motherfuckers.

They own so hard. Noctua keeps promising a 200mm fan, the tease.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

They own so hard. Noctua keeps promising a 200mm fan, the tease.

http://noctua.at/en/noctua-introduces-new-a-series-fans-and-accessories
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY5S61674&cm_re=nf-a20-_-9SIAADY5S61674-_-Product

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OH gently caress
I've been wanting that for years. NICE!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I apparently have a much lower tolerance for random hangs coming out of low-power states than most of y'all.

Risky Bisquick posted:

How will you know your computer is on without pulsing light coming from your pc or pc accessories :confused:

I lift the mouse and look for the red LED. =E

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I apparently have a much lower tolerance for random hangs coming out of low-power states than most of y'all.

I had to disable GPU low power idle entirely on my last machine because driver updates weren't fixing it. :smithicide:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

I'll put I7s in at work this time around, and see what Threadripper brings when I renew my machine at home in the fall.

You're (everyone who wants an AMD chip) welcome. I built three I7-7700k boxes last week instead of Ryzen due to NPT/IRET and the IOMMU grouping issues, and now they're all solved.

I knew this would happen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I did this too.
(I had to order a side panel from Germany without a window. Thermaltake took 3 weeks to reply to emails / FB messages, I mailed 3 different countries reps before getting one.)

I mean, I just swapped the backside panel with the front one, since they're exactly the same on my case, and the back one doesn't have a window. :v:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Truga posted:

I mean, I just swapped the backside panel with the front one, since they're exactly the same on my case, and the back one doesn't have a window. :v:

I wouldn't actually mind a show PC if I didn't have to pay extra, get ~~~gamerz~~~ branding, or tradeoff sound dampening for thin acrylic windows. I spend time on cable management already, wouldn't mind showing it off.

Maybe this fall, if TR is good and I can find something that looks nice next to a define R5. I wouldn't mind a tempered glass side panel, but normal windows are awful.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Harik posted:

I wouldn't actually mind a show PC if I didn't have to pay extra, get ~~~gamerz~~~ branding, or tradeoff sound dampening for thin acrylic windows. I spend time on cable management already, wouldn't mind showing it off.

Maybe this fall, if TR is good and I can find something that looks nice next to a define R5. I wouldn't mind a tempered glass side panel, but normal windows are awful.

According to engineers at Fractal Design the acrylic windows in cases have almost the same sound dampening properties as sound dampening foams on metal panels do.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

According to engineers at Fractal Design the acrylic windows in cases have almost the same sound dampening properties as sound dampening foams on metal panels do.

Yeah, FDs are pretty solid but most cases with windows are utter trash.

I probably never will do it, but just once I'd like to make a top-end machine with a custom loop + GPU block and put that fucker up for show. Until then, it'll just be the featureless fronts on my pair of define R5s.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Visually, my most ideal case would be an S340 without windowed panel. A black slab with a simple optional color accent. But it's a sing and dance with the NZXT support to get a solid replacement side panel.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

Yeah, FDs are pretty solid but most cases with windows are utter trash.

I probably never will do it, but just once I'd like to make a top-end machine with a custom loop + GPU block and put that fucker up for show. Until then, it'll just be the featureless fronts on my pair of define R5s.

I did the whole custom loop thing but I still have a featureless box (the panel with the window is facing against the wall).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I did this too.
(I had to order a side panel from Germany without a window. Thermaltake took 3 weeks to reply to emails / FB messages, I mailed 3 different countries reps before getting one.)

Holy crap - I'd have given up and bought spray paint after a week or so

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Munkeymon posted:

I wish lian would make an itx cube with horizontal mobo and vents everywhere. With support for full-size PSU / gpu / and bigass heatsink - when I needed a part for a lian, they replied and shipped out on the same day.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Munkeymon posted:

Velvet curtains, gold rod, maybe a little valance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Subjunctive posted:

Velvet curtains, gold rod, maybe a little valance.

I hear wallpaper is back in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

I hear wallpaper is back in.

That could be fabulous.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pebble dash it. Rustic.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

I wish lian would make an itx cube with horizontal mobo and vents everywhere. With support for full-size PSU / gpu / and bigass heatsink - when I needed a part for a lian, they replied and shipped out on the same day.

The V33 is honestly exactly what you're looking for, its a full ATX setup but honestly you can fit a servers worth the poo poo inside of it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Since we're talking cases and windows... I'm that that thrilled with the NZXT S340. It looks good, cable management is excellent and the magnetic rubber puck for the headphone is a great idea but thermals and acoustics are pretty bad. The HDDs aren't decoupled and ventilated so they'll get seriously hot during maintenance operations like parity checks or zfs scrubbing.
In retrospect I should have bought the Thermaltake F51, a shameless Define R5 copy but larger and with a silly amount of fans options.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

eames posted:

Since we're talking cases and windows... I'm that that thrilled with the NZXT S340. It looks good, cable management is excellent and the magnetic rubber puck for the headphone is a great idea but thermals and acoustics are pretty bad. The HDDs aren't decoupled and ventilated so they'll get seriously hot during maintenance operations like parity checks or zfs scrubbing.
In retrospect I should have bought the Thermaltake F51, a shameless Define R5 copy but larger and with a silly amount of fans options.

I have this case but what I bolded above is unknown to me. What is it?

Edit: Oh, there's a new version of the case with a tempered glass window instead of the plastic window like the one I have, and a magnetic headphone mount. When I got mine about a year ago it didn't have those things. Also it was $40 cheaper than their current MSRP.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 5, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Holy eddy currents.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have the sudden desire for a 2x200mm radiator.

eames
May 9, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

I have the sudden desire for a 2x200mm radiator.

2x420mm evidently works too
https://imgur.com/WObHeu6

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Reminds me of the guy in high school who used a dual-socket AMD thing in an old server tower and replaced the side panel with a boxfan.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Reminds me of the guy in high school who used a dual-socket AMD thing in an old server tower and replaced the side panel with a boxfan.

if you live in a place where the air is sometimes brown, would this be better or worse for dust levels inside the case?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

if you live in a place where the air is sometimes brown, would this be better or worse for dust levels inside the case?

Depends. Are you using Noctua fans already, or are you interested in an upgrade?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Khorne posted:

Is there a mostly automated way to disable cores on amd bulldozer (or similar) architecture chips so that there's only 1 core active per fpu?
I was real serious about this. The reason is twofold, one you get a higher clock under half-load, and two the fpu thing plays some role probably. Due to this processor's design you have insanely inconsistent run times for processes that run on the scale of a week+. As in, "hey, why does my process that takes 7 days sometimes take 14 days".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 6, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Khorne posted:

I was real serious about this. The reason is twofold, one you get a higher clock under half-load, and two the fpu thing plays some role probably. Due to this processor's design you have insanely inconsistent run times for processes that run on the scale of a week+. As in, "hey, why does my process that takes 7 days sometimes take 14 days".

On linux you can use CPU isolation. Separate from affinity, isolation is per-cgroup and nothing in that cgroup will be scheduled on it. Maybe that will help?

I'm not sure if there's something like that in windows.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Khorne posted:

You set process-processor affinity in windows on a per program basis. This guide uses win 7,but the process is the same in Vista, 8,or 10. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/change-the-processor-affinity-setting-in-windows-7-to-gain-a-performance-edge/

Simply put, you will add a command line option to your shortcuts, which tells windows which cores are allowed to be used. You may need to experiment first to find the correct sets to not split fpus.

Unfortunately, you can't easily set this on for everything on your system.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
I'm not sure what order the processors in Windows are enumerated, but you could also try booting Windows with fewer active cores. Having not tried this on a Bulldozer-class part, I'm not sure if it will disable the second core in the CUs first, or if it will start disabling entire CUs first.

If you really care about reducing inconsistency and noise, you're probably better off setting affinity on the applications you care about and then maybe bumping their priority to prevent other things from being scheduled on those logical cores. A study from Lawrence Livermore National Lab showed that leaving SMT enabled on high-performance computing systems could be beneficial. You keep your application's threads assigned to the main logical cores. The secondary logical cores (the hyperthreads in SMT systems, but one of the two CMT cores in the case of a Bulldozer-class part) would then pick up the slack on system tasks and prevent them from disturbing your main computation. They show that this reduces noise from system tasks and increases consistency in time-to-completion across multiple runs and across multiple nodes in a large cluster.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Harik posted:

On linux you can use CPU isolation. Separate from affinity, isolation is per-cgroup and nothing in that cgroup will be scheduled on it. Maybe that will help?

I'm not sure if there's something like that in windows.
Along the lines of the first paragraph in my previous post, full-on disabling cores (for everyone) in Linux is very easy. Long story short, write 0 into /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu{#}/online to prevent the kernel from scheduling anything to that core (except for the bootstrap processor, which can't be disabled).

You can look into /proc/cpuinfo to see which core IDs are CMT siblings and then choose to disable one of them.

You're likely better off just using taskset to set the affinity for the processes you care about, but if you want an easy way to do things, the CPU hotplug support above works.

Setting up isolcpu is, IMO, the most heavyweight solution here.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Not sure if this has been posted before but wccftech posted a leaked lineup for TR:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before but wccftech posted a leaked lineup for TR:

I see AMD is embracing Intel's nonsense model names.

At least it follows a "higher numbers are faster or have more cores" rule.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel has gone to gold, silver, platinum for their xeons so good on amd for atleast sticking to numbers

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So there's actually no Threadripper rocking it like it's 1998X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cause that totally wasn't obvious from R3, R5, and R7, x399 chipset,