Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Chromebooks have really bad keyboards last I looked.

I'm aware for my price point I'm likely looking at a refurb or an older model. I'm fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are suggestions in the OP.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm aware for my price point I'm likely looking at a refurb or an older model. I'm fine with that.

Battery life on the SP3 is awful - I'm lucky if mine will do two and a half hours now.

Interesting you find the SP4 keyboard good, I have one and I'd say it's mediocre at best (and not especially light either)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

dissss posted:

Battery life on the SP3 is awful - I'm lucky if mine will do two and a half hours now.

Interesting you find the SP4 keyboard good, I have one and I'd say it's mediocre at best (and not especially light either)

I find it easier on the wrists to type on. And yeah bummer on the battery life. Hmm.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

There's some Chromebooks with excellent keyboards like the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and the Dell Chromebook 13, but they always get discontinued without a good replacement like both of the models I mentioned.

Pixel has a good keyboard too.

Chromebooks are great and have easily become my primary personal computing device. There's usually a top-notch one around $400 that's comparable to good $800+ Windows or Mac laptops.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 4, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

You'd probably be fine with a Chromebook.

Could empty quote for the rest of my life.

I know that's not super constructive, but with office online/Google docs, and even things like Spotify Premium/Google Play Music All Access/Netflix in 4k having a locally beefy machine isn't super duper necessary. Furthermore a Chromebook with a relatively recent Intel processor is going to get you even further along the road than most other computing devices/use cases.

No matter who's asking, I'd consider them (unless you need a particular suffrage) because any sweeping criticism regarding hardware is disingenuous/uninformed.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone have experience dealing with lenovo customer care? I got my tablet in today. The model numbers match, everything matches from the website order.. except the cpu. It has an m5 instead of an m7.

If they are willing to knock off maybe an extra 100 or so i would keep it. But i wont be able to even try to talk to them until Thursday because of the holiday.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So my local Microcenter has T460s' in stock with the following specs:

i5-6200u
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
1920x1080 IPS display
Win10 Pro

They are selling for $849.99. How decent of a deal is this? It will be used for CompSci classes and general use.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Pretty decent: the 6200u versions usually go for ~$1100, with the 6600u versions more like $1500. Just remember that the 6200u is a 2C/4T CPU, so adjust your performance expectations accordingly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IuniusBrutus posted:

i5-6200u
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
1920x1080 IPS display
Win10 Pro

They are selling for $849.99. How decent of a deal is this? It will be used for CompSci classes and general use.

New or refurbished? I think I am paying around $1050 for that spec from our VAR (Connection)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

New or refurbished? I think I am paying around $1050 for that spec from our VAR (Connection)

New.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What power status is it when the power button is flashing and you need to hit it for the computer to come back up? And how do I disable it? Is it hibernate? My wife's power switch broke (the bit inside with the actual button on it fell off) and it's going to be a few days before a new one gets here. I've had to jump the contacts twice now, and it just went into that status again after less than an hour. Not sure why. I would really like to not have to pull it apart any more times than necessary.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 4, 2017

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

knox_harrington posted:

Sitting here typing this on a X230, it's still totally fine for basically everything apart from if you wanted to play games on it. I do quite often think about replacing it with something new but ultimately it would be just because I wanted to rather than any actual need.

It's built super solidly and way better to type on than my Dell work computer which is an e7250 - their equivalent machine.

I think the x230 got an improvement in battery life over the 220 which was again increased with the 240 etc. I would definitely recommend one.

How future-proof is it at the moment actually? I'm in the same situation as the quoted person, and I found a refurb X230 that I want to recommend to my girlfriend. I'm thinking of mainly sourcing replacements for the battery and such.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What power status is it when the power button is flashing and you need to hit it for the computer to come back up? And how do I disable it? Is it hibernate? My wife's power switch broke (the bit inside with the actual button on it fell off) and it's going to be a few days before a new one gets here. I've had to jump the contacts twice now, and it just went into that status again after less than an hour. Not sure why. I would really like to not have to pull it apart any more times than necessary.

It's a sleep state but I think any power light action is down to your motherboard or bios or whatever

Just hit the windows key and start typing 'sleep' and you should get an option like 'choose when this computer goes to sleep' and tell it never. Or you could set your mouse to wake it up, whichever's good

e- oh I'm accidentally in the laptop thread :v: Hibernate does usually go to full power off, you'll have to look in your power options to see what it's set to do though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 4, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. It turns out I was mistaken about the most recent one, so I'll turn off hibernate, that's probably it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fragrag posted:

How future-proof is it at the moment actually? I'm in the same situation as the quoted person, and I found a refurb X230 that I want to recommend to my girlfriend. I'm thinking of mainly sourcing replacements for the battery and such.

Well obviously it depends what you want to do but I would think it will still be ok for at least a couple of years. Battery on this thing still lasts a few hours working (I don't really notice a huge difference from new). For office docs and web browsing I can't really see how it would get that far behind the curve.

One thing you could do is replace the keyboard, cheap and easy to do and makes it feel quite a bit newer. I replaced mine with a backlit one which is super useful. Oh and of course put in a SSD if there isn't one in already.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Thanks! I've got a T530 myself which is performing wonderfully well, and capable at whatever I throw at it which is a bit more than Office suites and YouTube videos and looking it up the X230 is almost as modifiable as its bigger brother so that looks good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

IuniusBrutus posted:

i5-6200u
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
1920x1080 IPS display
Win10 Pro

That's a good deal on a very boring, but dependable laptop. Enjoy.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

i5-6200u
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
1920x1080 IPS display
Win10 Pro

Good deal on a great laptop.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

EDIT: Nevermind.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 5, 2017

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Has Lenovo fixed the keyboard wonkiness issue for the Miix? It looks like what I want but I can't find anything online about whether I'd be dealing with it out of the box or not...

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Found this:

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAC4Z5241071/specs

Any reason not to bite on this?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Depends on what you want to use it for. The m3 version is passable for basic browsing and tablet use, but that's about it--it's severely underpowered for anything else. But yeah, the price isn't terrible (it's the same as you can find on Amazon, though presumably you get a tax advantage on NewEgg).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's very portable with a nice display, but you'd have to explicitly want to use it as a tablet most of the time for it to be anywhere near worth it. 4 GB of RAM is the bare minimum for any desktop OS, and a 64 GB system drive is so restrictive you'd have to restrain yourself from installing anything on it (you need room for Windows upgrades and shouldn't max out an SSD anyway.) Unfortunately, it comes with Windows Pro, which is pretty laughable considering the other limitations; it'd make more sense to have the same exact hardware with Home for $50-100 less, or the same price with a bigger SSD and/or more RAM. That being said, $500 is still a lot for a Windows tablet that won't be able to do much more than a much cheaper Android one (or even a convertible Chromebook like the Asus Flip.) Do you specifically need an ultraportable Windows device? How about the Lenovo Yoga Book then? It's got the same limited hardware and converts to a tablet while only being ~$350 used/refurb'd.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Atomizer posted:

It's got the same limited hardware and converts to a tablet while only being ~$350 used/refurb'd.

While you make all good points, do note that you can get that Miix 700 for ~$350 used/refurbed, as well (which is probably a better option than new in most cases regardless of which tablet you pick, for the cost-sensitive).

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Couldn't be more uncertain of what I want if I tried :)

Currently have:
2011 MacBook Air 11" - it's doing quite well but starting to show its age a bit and I miss having a bigger screen
Thinkpad X220 - a year newer and more RAM but seems to be showing its age even more, just seems really laggy with a few tabs open, this could of course be a Safari/Chrome difference. Also really whiney annoying fan.

The purpose of the X220 was to decide if I want to switch back to Windows full-time and because I had an Android phone which works best with Chrome which sucked on Macs at the time. I now have an iPhone again and will probably have one for a while as I also have an Apple Watch (which I love) and this works best with Safari... so Mac. Typing this from Safari on my MBA, it's working really well.

Therein lies the dilemma. Until letting myself get dragged back into the world of Apple (having very nearly divorced them but for various reasons ended up wanting to be back on iOS) I was very nearly pulling the trigger on a HP Spectre X360 15". A giant leap from 11 and 12" notebooks to something suitable for taking over the role of photo processing from my desktop.
Now I'm sort of tempted by macOS again, I think Safari is about the best browser on any of the platforms right now in terms of looking after your battery life and CPU load etc, it'd have the desktop versions of the iOS apps, text message forwarding, all those niceties, it's an OS I actually like rather than one I sort of tolerate,
but I sure as heck can't afford/justify a 15" MacBook Pro! They're £1000 more for pretty much the same specs!
Could pay a little more than the Spectre for a MBP 13", where I'd want the fingerprint scanner (I like to have decent passwords) but then I feel like I'd be really compromising for the nice macOS stuff. Soldered RAM and SSD, crappy keyboard, no touchscreen, no stylus.
But then would I use the touchscreen and stylus much or the various convertible positions? Don't know til I have one.

Very tricky!
It'd be a much easier decision if Macs weren't at an all time high for pricing and neglect.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Personally, I've found I use a stylus on a Windows tablet when laid flat, but never in laptop mode. Would being able use a stylus while photo editing be useful to you? I had the first generation Spectre before my current Surface Pro 3 and liked it a lot. Caveat: I haven't used a Mac in 20 years (though I may need to soon at a client site).

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I think a stylus would be of very limited use for the photo editing I do. It's more that I'd possibly get into drawing a bit if it was convenient to just flip my laptop over and start drawing vs. digging out a tablet.

To be fair, last time I thought "I really want a stylus" was when I bought a Galaxy Note. Guess what I literally never used.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Hello, basically gonna ask for a recommendation.

I have: An old Mac from like 2010 or 2011 that takes at least a minute to open Word or Excel. Only laptop I ever used except for a Thinkpad at work, briefly. I am not in love with Apple.

I am looking for: Internet browsing, Netflix and movie downloading, maybe some Excel and Powerpoint, but nothing too crazy. Being able to play 2011 or 2012 games in medium quality would be a plus.

I am NOT looking for: Photoshop or HD video editing, 2016 and onwards gaming

Price range: Less than Apples $2400 for a Macbook Pro

I have pretty much decided on the LG Gram 2017, but as the OP is from 2013 it has no info about this one. Is there a thread consensus?

15 inch display, 16 GB RAM, 2, a 2.7 GHz i7 and 512 GB SSD. Seems like it should last for quite a while.

Any advice? I had considered the XPS 15 but it had lots of complaints about quality control, so I discarded that option.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

Hello, basically gonna ask for a recommendation.

I have: An old Mac from like 2010 or 2011 that takes at least a minute to open Word or Excel. Only laptop I ever used except for a Thinkpad at work, briefly. I am not in love with Apple.

I am looking for: Internet browsing, Netflix and movie downloading, maybe some Excel and Powerpoint, but nothing too crazy. Being able to play 2011 or 2012 games in medium quality would be a plus.

I am NOT looking for: Photoshop or HD video editing, 2016 and onwards gaming

Price range: Less than Apples $2400 for a Macbook Pro

I have pretty much decided on the LG Gram 2017, but as the OP is from 2013 it has no info about this one. Is there a thread consensus?

15 inch display, 16 GB RAM, 2, a 2.7 GHz i7 and 512 GB SSD. Seems like it should last for quite a while.

Any advice? I had considered the XPS 15 but it had lots of complaints about quality control, so I discarded that option.

Pretty much any machine will do everything you requested except for the 5+-year-old gaming part. You don't need anywhere near a loving $2.4k Mac or even the Gram. In fact, you'd be fine with 8 GB of RAM and an i3. I mean literally a $200-300 Chromebook would do all of the non-gaming stuff. I recommend this Acer which will do what you're asking, for $350 plus whatever you want to add in terms of RAM (I recommend just adding another 4 GB module for $25, although you could buy a 16 GB kit if you really wanted) and an m.2 SATA SSD. The i3 and HD 620 are fine for general use and light gaming, and it has a 15.6" FHD display plus a backlit keyboard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had no idea LG made computers.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Pretty much any machine will do everything you requested except for the 5+-year-old gaming part. You don't need anywhere near a loving $2.4k Mac or even the Gram. In fact, you'd be fine with 8 GB of RAM and an i3. I mean literally a $200-300 Chromebook would do all of the non-gaming stuff. I recommend this Acer which will do what you're asking, for $350 plus whatever you want to add in terms of RAM (I recommend just adding another 4 GB module for $25, although you could buy a 16 GB kit if you really wanted) and an m.2 SATA SSD. The i3 and HD 620 are fine for general use and light gaming, and it has a 15.6" FHD display plus a backlit keyboard.

Those Acers have a really terrible TN panel. FYI

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Mu Zeta posted:

I had no idea LG made computers.

Almost no one doesĦ That is why I am a bit wary of buying one.

I have no idea about youtube reviews, so sorry if this guy is bad or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-tbj4D-MM

Looks like a solid computer, in the 2017 model.

Atomizer posted:

I accept I may be going a bit overboard with my specs. But my last Mac lasted 5-6 years, so Id really like something similar with this new one. And a 300 dollar tag doesnt give me that confidence, even though maybe it doesnt make much sense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the 15" Samsung 9 more and it has a bunch of reviews, and they've been making laptops for longer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

Almost no one doesĦ That is why I am a bit wary of buying one.

I have no idea about youtube reviews, so sorry if this guy is bad or something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-tbj4D-MM

Looks like a solid computer, in the 2017 model.

I accept I may be going a bit overboard with my specs. But my last Mac lasted 5-6 years, so Id really like something similar with this new one. And a 300 dollar tag doesnt give me that confidence, even though maybe it doesnt make much sense.

Linus' consumer reviews are fine. He's very much a do what I say, not what I do kind of guy though. A lot of tech youtubers are I guess.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Counterargument to my Mac/PC laptop dilemma (I don't know if it's something the thread can even really help with, but it helps to "think aloud" so hopefully no one minds)

The main reasons I'd pick a Mac and their counterarguments are:
Better high DPI support - but this is getting better in Windows 10 each release.
Safari is a really good browser - but this changes all the time. Firefox just started not sucking again, and I notice it has the same reader view I was enjoying in Safari.
Text message forwarding from the iPhone - but I don't use text messaging all that often, and it's not that much effort to say "I'm on my laptop, can you use Hangouts/Facebook/Telegram/whatever if you're on your smartphone?"
Handoff to/from iOS devices - a minor convenience that is mostly useful to me for web pages (quite frankly, so I can finish reading an article on the phone when I go for a poo poo). All the browsers these days let you see the tabs on other devices so not that big of a deal
Universal copy/paste - okay this would be nice but I wouldn't use it that often, and is it worth in some cases £1000 more for a Mac, and losing touchscreen?
Notes and Photos on iOS are really nice, and have Mac apps - but although it's a bit sluggish there is iCloud for web which works pretty well
Doesn't spy on me or shove ads for its own products at me - okay there's that. Again is it worth £1000+touch?
Visual hotspot - Eh, it's a laptop. In any scenario I was using personal hotspot I'd probably pull my phone out of my pocket for the best signal anyway.
Nicer trackpad - I've heard the PC trackpads (even non Precision like the Synaptics one on the HP) are pretty decent nowadays.

Putting me off the new Macs other than the price is the keyboard. Frankly it seems terrible. Given how much I textwall, I'm not sure a terrible keyboard is a good idea.

I still love iOS devices. Call me weird, a sheep, whatever, I always end up going back to them. I want to love the full Apple ecosystem enough to go for it all (there are ecosystems everywhere, it seems most effective to stop worrying and just buy into one) but the problem is I don't still love Macs. They're making it extremely difficult to want one.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 8, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

GargleBlaster posted:

Counterargument to my Mac/PC laptop dilemma (I don't know if it's something the thread can even really help with, but it helps to "think aloud" so hopefully no one minds)

The main reasons I'd pick a Mac and their counterarguments are:
Better high DPI support - but this is getting better in Windows 10 each release.
Safari is a really good browser - but this changes all the time. Firefox just started not sucking again, and I notice it has the same reader view I was enjoying in Safari.
Text message forwarding from the iPhone - but I don't use text messaging all that often, and it's not that much effort to say "I'm on my laptop, can you use Hangouts/Facebook/Telegram/whatever if you're on your smartphone?"
Handoff to/from iOS devices - a minor convenience that is mostly useful to me for web pages (quite frankly, so I can finish reading an article on the phone when I go for a poo poo). All the browsers these days let you see the tabs on other devices so not that big of a deal
Universal copy/paste - okay this would be nice but I wouldn't use it that often, and is it worth in some cases £1000 more for a Mac, and losing touchscreen?
Notes and Photos on iOS are really nice, and have Mac apps - but although it's a bit sluggish there is iCloud for web which works pretty well
Doesn't spy on me or shove ads for its own products at me - okay there's that. Again is it worth £1000+touch?
Visual hotspot - Eh, it's a laptop. In any scenario I was using personal hotspot I'd probably pull my phone out of my pocket for the best signal anyway.
Nicer trackpad - I've heard the PC trackpads (even non Precision like the Synaptics one on the HP) are pretty decent nowadays.

Putting me off the new Macs other than the price is the keyboard. Frankly it seems terrible. Given how much I textwall, I'm not sure a terrible keyboard is a good idea.

I still love iOS devices. Call me weird, a sheep, whatever, I always end up going back to them. I want to love the full Apple ecosystem enough to go for it all (there are ecosystems everywhere, it seems most effective to stop worrying and just buy into one) but the problem is I don't still love Macs. They're making it extremely difficult to want one.

They only have one button to click though.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Tsyni posted:

They only have one button to click though.

That's a very silly argument considering most modern PCs also only have one button i.e. the trackpad itself. It's all in the gestures nowadays and the Mac trackpads seem the best of the lot for that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Windows 10 supports text message forwarding, at least from Android devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Those Acers have a really terrible TN panel. FYI

They're passable, certainly for the price, and especially for a casual browsing/viewing/office machine.

Mr. Nemo posted:

You mean it lasted physically, or in terms of performance? If it's the former, then I still think a "cheap" laptop will last for as long as you take care of it; I have plenty of older devices that still work because I'm careful with how I handle them. If you're concerned about performance, any mainstream system will be fine. We're talking about a Core CPU, rather than an Atom or an AMD E-series or whatever; an i3 will be just fine, and there are plenty of people who're using 2nd-gen Core CPUs (or older) as a testament to how potent Intel's lineup has been. A reasonably upgradable system (RAM, storage) will contribute to longevity.