Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My only regret is the chess club stuff didn't involve Chihayafuru-esque hijinks to branch out and introduce more characters who are into shogi but closer to Rei in age. The science club people don't quite sell it to me.

Yeah. Mustache guy is one thing, but the rest are totally faceless generic guys.

Erg posted:

I think it's like most sports where your mental state has a huge effect on your performance. Idk if that was a move that should be blindingly obvious, but he was at the verge of elimination, playing someone that he thought of as well beyond his league, and dealing with constant stomach pain. It makes sense to me from just a sports person standpoint that he thought he couldn't win, which fed back into him playing poorly.

Maybe so, but everyone else in the room missed it too. It was clearly meant to be something that only intuitive genius players would notice, which is inherently something that's damned near impossible to write if you aren't one of those geniuses. Mostly I was surprised that they actually showed the entire board state as opposed to just leaving it a bit vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man they did like 50 chapters. They are going to start off really, really powerfully come next year. Get hype!

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCWbfjf8Tw

Clarste posted:

Maybe so, but everyone else in the room missed it too.

All the talk was that everyone already expected him to lose. No one saw it because they weren't looking. They had given up on him already.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
poo poo. Do I want to start reading the manga now, or wait for the next season? October is a long ways away. :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just finished it last night and holy moly i loved it.

Conflicts felt real and honest, while staying positive and inspirational and not getting mired in the bowels despair like other SadBoy manga does. I was not expecting the deep dive into Shimada and how intense it got, but I loved it. That and the flawless pull up with Shimada smiling, the sisters talking about sweets and Momo yelling "Gum!" were all so so great. I agree with other people here though that I was dissapointed by the answer to the School Friends problem being just the Science club nobodies, I really wanted to see him make some non shogi friends his own age, but there's 80 chapters so who knows.

Man yeah, I had a strong feeling this would be my jam, but it was Extremely My Jam. I've been watching and reading a lot of other stuff, but this has definitely been the one that comes to my mind most of the time, that and Berserk. I'm real bummed it doesn't seem super popular, at least not here and in my social/twitter circles, but oh well. Really excited for a Season 2, but I honestly think I won't watch it weekly, having a backlog I could just coast through in my free time and I honestly think I'd forget a lot of the big emotional beats if I watched it weekly. I'd like to say I won't read the manga and go in pure, but that's most likely a lie, there's like 80 more chapters ahead.

very very good anime, prob my AOTY since there's not much else on my docket this year so far

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's funny, I keep thinking no one watches really but I had several irl friends turn out to be stealth viewers, plus when i talk about it on twitter here and there i end up finding out about other friends who were, too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's weird, but cool! It's the total opposite for me. An irl friend me telling me it was good was basically what made me fianlly decide to get off my rear end, but now I've way blown past him. No one on my twitter feed is into tho I follow less than 100 people, but like sometimes i'll get a fav off the anime/manga screenshots i post, but my follower count is weirdly way way bigger than it should be so idk, some rando is watchin it

But overall, I honestly would've probably forgotten about this show had I not been reminded by someone about it which is a real dang shame! It's def the coolest thing to me this season

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The cats, no longer content with being the pieces, now desire to be the players.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hahahah I saw that last night on twitter too and immediately thought of the same thing

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Crunchyroll press release posted:

The new season of March Comes in Like a Lion begins October 14 on NHK, and will be simulcast on Crunchyroll.

PV on Dailymotion.

Get hyped, this season will include some of the best arcs from the manga.

On a side note, does season 2 deserve a new thread or should we just use this one?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

PV on Dailymotion.

Get hyped, this season will include some of the best arcs from the manga.

On a side note, does season 2 deserve a new thread or should we just use this one?

Hina shouldn't ever cry, it is very upsetting. :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd be cool with a new thread.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hina shouldn't ever cry, it is very upsetting. :(
*tugs collar awkwardly*

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hinata crying and sobbing out"Onee-chan" is loving challenging, this sucks. One of the earlier PVs ended with Hinata saying "Irasshai!" and that's much much better.

I'm cool with using this thread but im good either. I wonder if there would be interest in a manga thread since it seems more people have experience with that rather than the anime.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Who wants to talk about the live action movie!?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
No cats and no Momo 0/10

their Rei and Goto looks dead on tho, I'd watch it

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Who wants to talk about the live action movie!?

Looks pretty drat good (but yes there should be more kitties)! Anime-only folks should note this trailer has some ~spoilers~ though, if you care about that sort of thing.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
To whet your appetite before S2 arrives (less than a fortnight!), someone translated an interview with Shinbo and Umino that happened some time before S1 premiered.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
does that trailer have a real quick glimpse of (spoilers for later manga stuff)

hinata's dad?

if so, well, uh,

Nate RFB posted:

*tugs collar awkwardly*
*tugs collar awkwardly so hard it tears my shirt in half*

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

does that trailer have a real quick glimpse of (spoilers for later manga stuff)
No, not that I saw.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh okay, there was a shot for less than a second of a dude who looked like them.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

It's back!

That was a very pleasant episode for the show to return on, with some really interesting animation sequences and little departures from the show's style (that little piece of a TV drama before the Meijin match came on was awesome). You can tell SHAFT is having a lot of fun making this one, and also putting that Koufuku Graffiti experience to good work with all of these super zoomed shots of people eating. Shogi and Food Science Club is the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm very happy for Rei. He's having fun at school and has school friends and is enjoying his club activities. I'm so proud. :3:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm very hungover and dealing with other issues and this show is such a good remedy for all that :3:

I love that this is such a warm and lowkey show and then pivot to "Humans are agents of chaos" and everything about Goto. I'll probably dip out of the season for a bit to go back and rewatch the first again to remind myself of everything, but I'm very glad this show is back

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

me, watching the new ep:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Such a great episode to start on; it's nice to see Rei so happy. The science club stuff is adorable.

I'm really excited about this season. A lot of great stuff is coming our way :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a strong episode to start out with, because it showcases how with little fanfare Rei has been able to find his place in the world, more or less. He's been able to make connections with other people and now is willing to go over to the Kawamoto household unprompted (remember how he had to be dragged there in the first couple of episodes?). He's slowly but surely getting into a better place, and what I like about this dynamic is that there is no singular "epiphany" that got him there. It was just a natural, slow evolution on his part made possible by the love and support of those around him.

So with that out of the way, you could argue that at this point we know a good deal about just who Rei Kiriyama is, and the bulk of the first 23 episodes were dedicated to getting us here. Which means the other main characters will can now get their own spotlights...and all the highs and lows that might entail in a story like this.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I’m so glad this warm blanket/sad poem of a show is back

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

He's slowly but surely getting into a better place, and what I like about this dynamic is that there is no singular "epiphany" that got him there. It was just a natural, slow evolution on his part made possible by the love and support of those around him.
I love this specifically because there's a moment in like, chapter 15 of the manga where Rei is talking to Hinata and has the revelation that other people that he cares have problems in their lives complete divorced from him, that his demons are just one of millions and he should be as outwardly caring to others as they are to him.

This kind of thing in a usual SadBoy manga would be stretched out to like, the last volume but here it's not even 15% of the way through the current story and it's what leads him to further growth, specifically I feel with regards to how he wants to deal with Kyoko, to be her warm home like the Kawamotos are for him

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Was not expecting this to also be the most intense food anime of the season.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 15, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sindai posted:

Was not expecting this to also be the most intense food anime of the season.

Shokugeki no Soma season 3 is airing this season...

Anyways, I'm happy this show is back.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This was a really good episode.

Also the Yuki opening gave me intense Honey & Clover nostalgia.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Susano-maku da! posted:

I’m so glad this warm blanket/sad poem of a show is back
:yeah:

It's so nice to see the dude just have a good day.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Episode 2, "In which that rear end in a top hat Gotoh gets humanized," was very good. When I get home tomorrow it will be time to make some Kyouko gifs.

I like the continued trend of showing how most ill will between people stems from a simple lack of understanding. It's a lot easier to hate someone when you really don't know much about them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's certainly one way to do a episode title title-drop.

An alternative I might suggest is "Intensity". Almost every shot of a character in this episode is dripping and oozing with it, from the biting words to their peircing glares. I almost felt some sense of exhaustion myself watching these characters throw themselves into both this sport and their lives.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Humanizing Gotoh is a good thing, because it expanded on him while didn’t really make him less of an rear end in a top hat. And is it implied that he’s cheating on his wife who’s in the hospital? (Don’t spoil that)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, it seems like he's trying not to but the sister is relentlessly throwing herself at him.

Honestly I found it more weird than endearing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

less sick more coma I believe

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Sindai posted:

Well, it seems like he's trying not to but the sister is relentlessly throwing herself at him.

Honestly I found it more weird than endearing.

The tying her to the bed thing is weird and he's the older adult in this situation so yeah it's creepy.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate seeing the character sketched out but feel Rei when he's trying to figure out how much he should care about the guy.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

The tying her to the bed thing is weird

kinkshaming in 2017 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

The tying her to the bed thing is weird and he's the older adult in this situation so yeah it's creepy.

I mean his purpose for tying her hands to the wall was to prevent her from sexually assaulting him while he sleeps.

Also while Kyouko might be less than half Gotoh's age she is an adult, and if anyone is being a creep in this situation it's her.

Edit - This post wasn't very well thought through. Don't tie people to beds without their consent. This is unlawful restraint. Don't go into people's apartments when they have expressly told you not to. This is trespassing.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread