Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Mike the TV posted:

Quick question-

I had gotten the free upgrade to windows 10, but after the free upgrade window passed, my hdd died and I reinstalled from my win7 installation dvd. I've been running win7 for a few months now, and while it's actually rather nice, I now want to see if I can get windows 10 again (it has better support for vr). At this point, do I have to purchase windows 10, or since I had it before, is there any way to get it back for free?

If you updated to Windows 10 on that key it should just work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ganson posted:

If you updated to Windows 10 on that key it should just work.

That's awesome! Thanks!

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Saukkis posted:

PRADA SLUT phrased the question wrong, because Windows does not lock when you disconnect RDP. Windows will lock immediately when you connect with RDP, it will remain locked when you disconnect and I don't know of any way to avoid. You need to use some alternative remote software, or maybe jerryrig Remote Assistance somehow.

This is built in. You can have I think two people RDPed into a host at the same time. If you need more than that they'll be more than happy to sell you their Remote Desktop Services product along with a couple grand worth of licenses.

I typically use Linux based solutions for low end VDI/RDPish type situations (like putting a client in an environment with a bunch of application that are segmented because you can't secure them properly, i.e. any accounting software or anything written by Oracle).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've got a problem on my hands, hoping you guys can help.

I've got a Win 10 laptop with an image that needs to be duplicated and deployed to several more laptops. This is my first time doing this.

I generated an answer file with Windows System Image Manager.

I prepped with sysprep and an unattended.xml file using:

sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /unattend:Unattended.xml /shutdown

After the image was applied to another laptop, it attempted to boot into Windows but had an error along the lines of:

quote:

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

I looked in the setupact.log file and foudn the error was with the ComputerName field:
[Shell Unattend]ComputerName: Failed to set the computer name [HR=0X80070057][GLE=0X00000057]

I was following a guide that said to use %COMPUTERNAME% to get a randomized name, and I guess that was wrong, I should have used '*' ?

Is there any way to take the sysprepped laptop that was generated with the bad unattended answer file and simply import a good one? Or do I have to actually completely reinstall Windows, install Office and other apps, and re-do the sysprep and re-generate the image?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 29, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did anyone on the fast track Insider build have their machine take ages to update to build 16232? Usually it takes about 20 minutes to install and reboot after it's downloaded the new build, but this one took over an hour before it let me reboot. No performance problems other than that though.

Edit: Also, in the last few builds (this may be in the 1703 release too), my Night light doesn't turn itself off after the anointed hour, it stays on til I turn it off manually. Anyone else with this poo poo?

Didn't take any longer than usual on my Surface Pro 3, but that always takes the best part of an hour to install builds (I guess because of the pathetic hardware)

16232 was the final straw for me though, it literally doesn't work if you have you display language set certain ways so I'm back to the proper release build

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mike the TV posted:

Quick question-

I had gotten the free upgrade to windows 10, but after the free upgrade window passed, my hdd died and I reinstalled from my win7 installation dvd. I've been running win7 for a few months now, and while it's actually rather nice, I now want to see if I can get windows 10 again (it has better support for vr). At this point, do I have to purchase windows 10, or since I had it before, is there any way to get it back for free?

Separate from the fact that it should always reactivate on that particular Windows 7 key, if you were signed into a Microsoft Account normally after the official window passed, you should a Windows 10 license tied to that Microsoft Account which could be used even without the Windows 7 key, to go back to Windows 10.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Separate from the fact that it should always reactivate on that particular Windows 7 key, if you were signed into a Microsoft Account normally after the official window passed, you should a Windows 10 license tied to that Microsoft Account which could be used even without the Windows 7 key, to go back to Windows 10.

This worked, and I'm posting from windows 10 again. Thanks guys!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm having issues with the Windows 10 media creation tool. It keeps erroring out with error "Something went wrong" number: 0XC180010C-0XA0019

Followed the recommended fixes posted online which didn't fix the issue. I've now downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and Googling suggests that tool called Rufus will get that into bootable USB format for me:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Is it fine and legit?

Munin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 29, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Munin posted:

I'm having issues with the Windows 10 media creation tool. It keeps erroring out with error "Something went wrong" number: 0XC180010C-0XA0019

Followed the recommended fixes posted online which didn't fix the issue. I've now downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and Googling suggests that tool called rufus will get that into bootbale USB format for me:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Is it fine and legit?

Yeah Rufus is legit.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ganson posted:

This is built in. You can have I think two people RDPed into a host at the same time. If you need more than that they'll be more than happy to sell you their Remote Desktop Services product along with a couple grand worth of licenses.

I typically use Linux based solutions for low end VDI/RDPish type situations (like putting a client in an environment with a bunch of application that are segmented because you can't secure them properly, i.e. any accounting software or anything written by Oracle).

That's a feature on the Windows Server. My understanding of the question was that this was a desktop Windows and the issue was the locking of the console.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there any way to fix the "preparing automatic repair" loop if I don't have a recovery drive and I don't have a disc and no way to create either?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Is there any way to fix the "preparing automatic repair" loop if I don't have a recovery drive and I don't have a disc and no way to create either?

You could put it on a USB disk. Otherwise, uh, I guess you're hosed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any good guide available for disabling all of the horseshit in the creator's edition?

For example, I turned off security center but now i get a stupid popup when i boot up my computer telling me to turn it back on.

I basically want my computer to not try to do things for me and turn off as many ads, useless apps and self-installing crap as possible, including cortana.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Turn your loving anti-virus back on you dingus.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

- Settings > Personalisation > Start > Turn off 'occasionally show suggestions in Start'
- Right click app > uninstall to get rid of apps you don't want

However:

Shibawanko posted:

I basically want my computer to not try to do things for me

You turned off your security software with nothing to replace it and apparently find the suggestion that you turn it back on an affront in some way; I want your computer to hold your hand as much as possible and you aren't getting any advice on changing that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Is there any good guide available for disabling all of the horseshit in the creator's edition?

For example, I turned off security center but now i get a stupid popup when i boot up my computer telling me to turn it back on.

I basically want my computer to not try to do things for me and turn off as many ads, useless apps and self-installing crap as possible, including cortana.

You'll need Pro at a bare minimum. After that you can disable mostly everything.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Please don't give bad advice.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ratbert90 posted:

Please don't give bad advice.
Huh?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Running third party AV these days can be more of a risk than not running it; exploitability and all that. But, don't turn off the built-in stuff either.

P. S. - 'Sup redeyes? Long time no chat. How're things down there in hippieland?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I have antivirus on, obviously. I just don't trust security center to not bug me with popups and invasive poo poo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I have antivirus on, obviously. I just don't trust security center to not bug me with popups and invasive poo poo.

I haven't adjusted any settings for Security Center and I don't get any popups or invasive poo poo from it.
It sounds like you adjusted some settings and now you do get popups and invasive poo poo.
Maybe adjusting settings was wrong?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nielsm posted:

I haven't adjusted any settings for Security Center and I don't get any popups or invasive poo poo from it.
It sounds like you adjusted some settings and now you do get popups and invasive poo poo.
Maybe adjusting settings was wrong?

I'd rather run third party and not be told what software to use by my operating system, thanks.

Besides, defender is still on, it's just the central service that keeps track of what i am and am not running that i switched off.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 3, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I had a fun weekend of installing Windows about 10 times. I have a 2014 Intel NUC I use for a TV computer to play games and watch Netflix. I put Windows 8 on it and upgraded that to Windows 10 when it came out. The SSD died so I put a new SSD in it and installed Windows 10, thinking it should be good to go but it wouldn't activate and it kept giving me oddball errors. Long story short I had to use a tool from Intel to give the system a serial number in the UEFI and install Windows again and it worked just fine.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shibawanko posted:

I'd rather run third party and not be told what software to use by my operating system, thanks.

Besides, defender is still on, it's just the central service that keeps track of what i am and am not running that i switched off.

Microsoft isn't telling you what software to use here, they're making sure you have something running at all. Without the Security Center you would have no idea if Defender or whatever other antivirus you picked stopped working. It also keeps an eye on a few other things and never makes an alert unless it's something actually important.

I get that you want to kill all the advertising and stuff but you're being willfully ignorant here, Security Center hasn't changed since Windows 7 at least and if you were killing it back then the same method should still work now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Because no malware has ever disabled security software as it's first step during infection.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Gentlemen, calm down. Yes, Defender is fine to catch low hanging fruit. But don't forget that Tavis Ormandy has recently used Defender (twice even, I think in two different exploits) as the infection vector. Basically, you get emailed a file with bad code, Defender scans it and you're infected.

However, to MS's credit he disclosed responsibly and they closed those holes quickly. How many other holes he will find is anyone's guess.

Moral of the story is, don't be someone a state-level actor would want to exploit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Running third party AV these days can be more of a risk than not running it; exploitability and all that. But, don't turn off the built-in stuff either.

P. S. - 'Sup redeyes? Long time no chat. How're things down there in hippieland?

Hey doofus. Things are great here.. Still doing my thing. What are you up to these days?

If you remember Ptah, he died recently. I think it was some kind of auto accident but I wasn't FB friends with him so I am not sure of the specifics. :(

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

isndl posted:

It also keeps an eye on a few other things and never makes an alert unless it's something actually important.
Something important like a automatic scan found nothing or your display brightness is too high to have best battery life even though your computer is plugged in and isn't even using the built-in screen.
First thing can be turned off easily enough and second thing I can just ignore but let's not pretend it doesn't do stupid crap.
I also kind of recall people here recommending to turn it off when someone complained about it for first time and no-one seemed to lost their mind over it. (I haven't turned it off myself)

isndl
May 2, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Something important like a automatic scan found nothing or your display brightness is too high to have best battery life even though your computer is plugged in and isn't even using the built-in screen.
First thing can be turned off easily enough and second thing I can just ignore but let's not pretend it doesn't do stupid crap.
I also kind of recall people here recommending to turn it off when someone complained about it for first time and no-one seemed to lost their mind over it. (I haven't turned it off myself)

Digging into it some more, it appears that the Creator's Update includes a big revamp of Defender as a new app that also features reporting that was previously in the Security and Maintenance framework. I was unaware of this since I haven't gotten the Creator's Update yet, but I'm guessing it's part of their migration of all the old Control Panel options to the new Settings menu.

In any case, you can disable the notifications very easily through Settings > System > Notifications & actions without disabling your antivirus entirely.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I just installed a bunch of Windows updates (Windows 10, OS Build 14393.1358) and it seems to have altered my ability to connect to an intranet site without a trusted certificate - before I got the warning screen that would warn me not to then allow me to click through, now I get "Page cannot be displayed". A different computer on the same network is able to connect, and browsing to the IP instead of the URL still works with the old behavior.

(It's a work thing, so I have no direct control over the site, and can't get them to install a proper certificate or fix anything.)

Is there a way to go back to the old behavior without (potentially doing nslookup and) using the IP address?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 3, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got some weird poo poo where my Edge window can't be interacted with in most ways. The bar containing forward/back, url bar, etc can be interacted with and tabs can but the entire area where pages get rendered can't be at all (but they are rendered). I also cannot drag the window around but the minimize/max and close icons work.

It's not a big deal since I don't really use Edge but I can't figure out whats going on. I don't have any extensions.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

redeyes posted:

Hey doofus. Things are great here.. Still doing my thing. What are you up to these days?

If you remember Ptah, he died recently. I think it was some kind of auto accident but I wasn't FB friends with him so I am not sure of the specifics. :(

Son of a... omg that's the worst news I've heard since Trump got elected. I just told Joe about it and he can't believe it either. And get this: the day he died (feb 25th) is Joe's birthday. I'll bet alcohol wasn't even involved in the accident, which would be irony at its finest.

(Sorry for the hijack folks, but redeyes doesn't have plat.)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Son of a... omg that's the worst news I've heard since Trump got elected. I just told Joe about it and he can't believe it either. And get this: the day he died (feb 25th) is Joe's birthday. I'll bet alcohol wasn't even involved in the accident, which would be irony at its finest.

(Sorry for the hijack folks, but redeyes doesn't have plat.)

loving worst news ever. Sorry for the hijak. (doofus hit me up on fb or something).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Windows 10 have some kind of native exposé feature? In Linux (or just gnome desktop maybe) if I hit the Windows key it opens up a layer showing me all of my active windows open in that desktop space; and in macOS there's a touchpad gesture that does this (and I'm sure there's a key combo as well).

Can't manage to figure out a way to do this in Windows 10.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Windows 10 have some kind of native exposé feature? In Linux (or just gnome desktop maybe) if I hit the Windows key it opens up a layer showing me all of my active windows open in that desktop space; and in macOS there's a touchpad gesture that does this (and I'm sure there's a key combo as well).

Yes, it's called Task View. Activated by this button on the taskbar or by pressing Win+Tab.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Win + Tab

e; motherfuck

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SinineSiil posted:

Yeah it was things like that that made me want to turn it off. I used to keep it on, but now that action center and security center are merged, if you want to get rid of annoying things like brightness warnings or saving space popups you have to disable the whole thing.

Security center is not a virus scanner, it just keeps track of what software you run and energy and brightness levels and whatever. I don't need my computer keeping track of what virus scanner and firewall I run. This is not some highly classified device with all of my personal data on it, it's an old gaming laptop that I'll just format in the off chance that a virus does come through, I just need windows to be fast, resource-low and not in my way.

Problem is, even if you disable it, you get warning messages from somewhere telling you to reenable it, which I haven't found a way to get rid of.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My computer was acting super weird so I restarted it and it updated. From the update log it looks like it tried almost 15 times to do

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)

And failed every time. That's the only thing in the log for todays date. What is happening.

And for other dates there's a mix of failed and successful ones. No idea why any are failing. It also doesn't even alert you that anything failed. I would never have known anything was wrong if it wasn't for my hateboner over 10 compelling me to look at the log to see what shifty poo poo was installed this time.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 5, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I don't need my computer keeping track of what virus scanner and firewall I run. This is not some highly classified device with all of my personal data on it, it's an old gaming laptop that I'll just format in the off chance that a virus does come through, I just need windows to be fast, resource-low and not in my way.

Microsoft isn't keeping tabs on your antivirus to just to protect your files, it's to prevent you from becoming a transmission vector or part of a botnet and adding to problems for everyone else. How you personally use the PC is irrelevant in that context.

This is like the anti-vaccination of the computing world, you can technically do fine without it but the mindset causes huge problems down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

isndl posted:

Microsoft isn't keeping tabs on your antivirus to just to protect your files, it's to prevent you from becoming a transmission vector or part of a botnet and adding to problems for everyone else. How you personally use the PC is irrelevant in that context.

This is like the anti-vaccination of the computing world, you can technically do fine without it but the mindset causes huge problems down the road.

Except I do run an antivirus program and firewall, I just don't want to be bugged by a nosy popup message generator designed for the kind of users who don't know what antivirus even is.

We all know that part of the reason why WIndows increasingly adds features that can't be turned off and try to manage all aspects of how you run your computer (including the move from traditional programs to apps that can only be removed in powershell if at all), is to control how users use their computer, not because these features are good for everybody who runs Windows. Removing the user's control serves the purpose of embedding more ads that are increasingly harder to get rid of.

The latest step was to merge action center and security center, the next step is probably to remove control panel and merge it with the settings app so your PC becomes a glorified smartphone, and to embed security center/action center in that. Ultimately they'll probably try to force people to use Windows Store to install anything at all. In that context, what's wrong with trying to retain control of what your computer does?