Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... Gooooood morning, everyone! Looks like today is gonna be another perfect, tropical day! Now then, let's show some enthusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!

: ...

As usual...well, even if I say that...it doesn't matter anymore... But I greeted the morning without having slept at all.

I really wanted to see somebody...anybody...as fast as I could. I felt like I had to share this anxious feeling with someone. I just couldn't deal with it alone.

: I should...go to the restaurant for now...

: I forgot to check Peko and Mahiru's cottages earlier in the chapter so I'm rectifying it now.

: Peko...

You're the one who saved Fuyuhiko... You protected Fuyuhiko through your own will.

: That's what I believe...!

Judging someone for their crimes... No one has the right to do that...

: That's exactly it, huh...Mahiru...

The killings... The class trials... It's all so messed up...!

: Fuyuhiko's the only person outside this morning.

: ...Oh, it's you Hajime.
: Heh, even in such an abnormal situation...people still get hungry...

: Nekomaru... What'd that bastard mean by his "final firework"? That line's more suited to a yakuza, anyway.
: Nekomaru must've wanted to protect Akane at all costs. Just like how Peko wanted to protect you...
: Shut up...don't say another word...!
: Just...go on ahead to the restaurant... I'll come later. *leaves*
: Fuyuhiko...

: G'morning...Hajime...
: Yeah...morning...

: Being depressed won't help. Let's believe in Nekomaru. C'mon, feel better.

: Nothing else to do but head on up.

: ...Hm?

As I was walking to the restaurant...I suddenly stopped.

???: *Sob*... *Sob*... *Sniffle*...

I heard the sound of a girl crying inside the restaurant.

: Is someone crying inside? Mikan...? Or is it Hiyoko...?

I peeked inside and quietly walked into the restaurant.

: (Hiyoko's also here but she's off-screen right now.)

: *Sob*...*sob*...
: ...Huh!?
: *Sob*...*sniffle*..*sob*...
: A-Akane...? You're the one...who's crying...?
: ...Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I-I...I'm scared... What's...gonna happen to us...? Waaaaaaaaaah! I'm scared!

Wh-What happened? Could she be...in shock about what happened to Nekomaru? But yesterday...she was acting...braver...

: Well something strange seems to be going on here. Let's try talking to Akane again.

: Wh-What happened, Akane? It's not like you to cry...get a grip on yourself.
: I...I dunno...what to do anymore... I mean...Nekomaru got killed, you know?
: Wh-What are you saying? It's not like Nekomaru is dead yet...
: *Sob*...! I'm scared...I don't want this anymore...! Waaaaaaaaaaah! Lemme go back home!

She must be so shocked that Nekomaru sacrificed himself for her... No, there's no way that explains a change this sudden and drastic.

: I guess we should ask the others.

: Hey, what happened to Akane? Isn't she acting kind of weird?

: Hajime, be careful! That's probably not the real Fuyuhiko!
: ...Huh?
: I know. The real Fuyuhiko is already dead. That's why that's probably...Fuyuhiko's clone!
: Y-You...what are you saying?
: Also, I heard from Monokuma that Nekomaru couldn't be saved. It's unfortunate but...a transfer student is apparently going to come soon as a replacement...

: So let's all give that person a warm welcome!
: You...are you messing around?
: I'm not messing around! I always speak the truth!
: In order to prove it...I'll explain it specially to you...
: Listen carefully, Hajime! I've finally discovered who the traitor is!
: You know, the true identity of World Ender... The traitor who was hiding among us is...
: Byakuya! That's right! Byakuya is alive!

He's been weird from the start but... Isn't he acting much weirder than usual?

: Something is definitely wrong here.

: ...Hey... It's definitely best if we keep Nagito tied up. No, not just tied up...
: I won't be satisfied until I peel the skin off his face and expose the meat so we can't identify him anymore...
: Th-That doesn't sound very gentle... Did he do something to you?

: That idiot...he lied to me about Mahiru being alive and said he saw her at the movie theater...
: Why...why is he telling such a pointless lie?
: I don't know... I...I hate being lied to...
: I won't feel satisfied until all his joints are bent at awkward angles!

It'd probably be a wate of time to find out the reason for each little thing Nagito does but... I don't get this at all. Why did he have to tell such an outrageous lie?

Music cuts out.

???: Pardon me everyone, but do you happen to have some time to spare!?

: It may be rude of me, but I would like to say my greetings first thing in the morning! Good morning! I look forward to working with you all today!
: I-Ibuki...?
: Yes! I am Ibuki Mioda!
: A-Aren't you...acting strange, too...?

: Be careful Ibuki! Hajime's dangerous. He wants to kill you and eat you.
: Wh-What are you saying!?
: Mr. Hajime! I am not tasty! Please do not eat me!
: He's obviously lying!
: I see! So it was a lie!
: It's not a lie. I never tell lies.
: I see! So it is not a lie! It may be necessary for me to beg for my life after all!
: ...Wh-What the heck is this? Akane, Nagito, Ibuki...they're all acting strange! What's going on!?

: Did they go crazy or something? It wouldn't be strange to go crazy in a situation like this.
: Th-That's not it!

: *appears* I-Ibuki...she has an extremely high fever. That's...probably the cause...
: Before you start talking, I want you to tell me something: who the hell are you?
: Wh-Why have you forgotten me!? I'm Mikan Tsumiki!
: A-Anyway, please try touching her forehead! If you do, you'll see what I mean!

My hand to her forehead...?

: ...Ibuki, just a second?
: In exchange, please spare my life!

I softly placed my hand onto Ibuki's forehead while she continued to spout gibberish...

: Sh-She's hot...!? Wh-What is this!? This heat is abnormal!
: That's right! She has a terribly high fever!

Then...could the others...?

: Akane, let me feel your forehead too!
: *Sob*...I'm sorry I'm so weak...

I placed my hand onto Akane's forehead while she groaned and kept sobbing... That must be it! She has such a high fever, there's no way that's a normal human body temperature!

: Nagito! You too...!
: I don't have a fever. I feel extremely great today!

I placed my hand on his forehead... Once again, I got the same result.

: Huh? All three of them have fevers? Then the reason those guys are all saying such wacky stuff is...

: My goodness! That's obviously bad!
: Monokuma...! For him to appear right now, does that mean this is...?
: Whoa there, can you wait just a second for the explanation? The others are on their way, too!

And just as Monokuma said, I heard the sound of pounding footsteps...

Everyone who gathered all had confused expressions plastered onto their faces.

: N-Now what!?
: I heard it from Monokuma... Looks like...something strange's going on again?
: Did...something happen, you guys?
: Looks like everyone's here! Now then, let's start with the explanation...

: H-Hold on! Monokuma! You're pulling a prank again, aren't you!? And what happened to Nekomaru!? Hurry up and return him first, you robber bear!
: Nekomaru...are you talking about the boy who turns into a woman when he gets splashed with water?
: Who the heck is that!? Nekomaru doesn't have a weird ability like that!

: Jeeez! Shuuuut up!
: Ugyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I don't even know what's been done to me, but I feel a mysterious life energyyyyyy!

: Now that I've shut up the nuisance, let's go back to the topic at hand. Though...
: I'm pretty sure you guys have already noticed since you're all so quick-witted!
: So...it's just as I thought...the true identity of this high fever is...
: That's right, this is the new motive that I've given you!

: This is the Despair Disease!
: ...Despair Disease?
: You know, there are extremely tiny insects that can't be seen with the naked eye living on this island...
: ...It's not like I added them recently. I just never told you about them.
: Anyway, the endemic disease spread by these incsets is called the Despair Disease!

: D-Despair Disease... I've never heard of...such a thing...!
: Then lemme tell you about it! As the name suggests, the Despair Disease is... A reaaaally annoying disease where you get a high fever, along with various symptoms that are full of despair! Those symptoms are different based on the person... For instance, Nagito is afflicted by the Liar Disease... Akane has the Coward Disease... Ibuki has the Gullible Disease, I guess?

: They just *had* to get symptoms that are the opposite of their normal personalities...except for Nagito...
: It's not like all you guys are down with the sickness yet... But be careful! Sometimes the Despair Disease can get passed from person to person just like a cold!
: Y-You mean it is contagious?
: Don't put your guard down just because you don't have the disease. It'd be awful if everyone got sick...
: Let's run, Miss Sonia! It'd be terrible if you caught the lowly disease of the common folks!
: That's right! Let's run away! I don't wanna catch such a weird disease!

: And why...is that a motive? Are you saying that a killing will occur soon, after everyone falls into a crazy state?
: Isn't this quite a novel idea?
: A killing that occurs while everyone has a completely different personality! Think of all the murder tricks!
: ...I-Is there any way to treat it?

: Why...is there a need to treat it? I mean, this Despair Disease isn't supposed to make you suffer.
: It's a disease that cures your soft hearts! Your soft hearts toward killing! And with this, you can finally take the plunge and commit murderrrr!
: You bastard, you better stop talking about this bullshit!

: *Sob*...it's all my fault... *Sob sob*...I'm sorry I'm always bothering you...
: I've decided! As an apology, I'm going to commit murder! Are there any charcoal briquettes somewhere!?
: Ah, I'm pretty sure I found some at the supermarket...
: S-Stop it! Akane, Nagito, Ibuki...you guys stay put!

: You're wrong...I'm not Nagito... To tell you the truth...Nagito Komaeda's a fake name. I'm sorry I've kept it a secret till now.
: Oh, I see!
: She's believing him again! So serious!
: Maaan, whatever, I feel so great today! This Despair Disease is awesome!
: Despair! Despair! Despair! Despair! Despair! It's amazing! You all should get it too! We're all done for! There's no such thing as hope! We all have to die from this Despair Disease...

Music fades out.

: That's...the...o...nly...way...

*Nagito collapses*

*Thump!*

: Whoa! He collapsed!
: N-Nagito!?
: Puhuhu, now that I've given you a new motive, how will things develop? Will the killing start after everyone gets Despair Disease...? Or even before that...?
: I'm soooo excited about it, I'm just gonna stand around naked!
: Juuuuuust kidding...I'm always naked. *leaves*
: H-Hey!

Dammit...Nekomaru's incident just happened, and now this...? Where did that peaceful mood that lasted till yesterday go?

: Th-This is bad! Nagito is foaming at the mouth!
: She's right! I've never even seen foam that color before!
: It's an ephemerally rare color...normally only found in the depths of the Netherworld sea...!
: In this case, the color doesn't matter, so let's hurry him over to the hospital!
: ...Got it! I'll help out!

: Um...what should we do about Akane and Ibuki!?
: We're definitely going to bring them too... We don't know what they'll do if we leave them alone. ...Hey bastards, can you walk?
: Allow me to confirm! I just have to alternate the movements of my left and right leg, correct!?
: Waaaaaah...hold on...I-I'll walk so don't leave me...!
: Th-Then...let's go!

With the diseased in tow, and Nagito, whose condition was clearly worsening... We rushed over to the hospital.

But...this kind of motive is impossible. An actual...Despair Disease? And there's a possibility that it might be passed along... What the heck...!?

Dammit...what should I do!?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This is like some wacky sitcom illness. Just, the kind of sitcom where someone gets brutally murdered, because these kids are just not learning animals when it comes to the motives.

Though I gotta say I really like this new Nagito.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I certainly hope that no one with a reversed personality kills anyone. I would not consider anyone who kills because they're sick as responsible for their actions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The one thing Nagito cannot stand is himself saying that Despair is so great. Enough to drive him into a coma complete with foaming at the mouth.

That is so great :allears:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

FPzero posted:

: ...Ibuki, just a second?

I think this should be Hajime?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It was, thanks. I missed fixing that one when I proofread the update.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: It may be rude of me, but I would like to say my greetings first thing in the morning! Good morning! I look forward to working with you all today!
: I-Ibuki...?
: Yes! I am Ibuki Mioda!
: A-Aren't you...acting strange, too...?
The best part is that this is something Ibuki might actually do as a two-second gag...and then it keeps going long enough that you realize something's definitely wrong.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Zoe posted:

This is like some wacky sitcom illness. Just, the kind of sitcom where someone gets brutally murdered, because these kids are just not learning animals when it comes to the motives.

To be fair, it totally seems Monokuma's style.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I certainly hope that no one with a reversed personality kills anyone. I would not consider anyone who kills because they're sick as responsible for their actions.

I think Monokuma said in the first game that even accidental deaths count, so not being in your right mind would still get you executed :smith: I do wonder how he'd deal with death from illness though, can't execute a bacteria.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Graylien posted:

I think Monokuma said in the first game that even accidental deaths count, so not being in your right mind would still get you executed :smith: I do wonder how he'd deal with death from illness though, can't execute a bacteria.

It would, because he's a dick, but I just could not agree that such a person is responsible. More to the point, it would be bad storytelling: "Why did you kill them" "I wouldn't have except my personality was reversed" - that's not a reason which would be interesting to the player.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Graylien posted:

I think he actually said earlier somewhere that death by sickness would likely be the only death that doesn't count as murder, but that Usami would somehow prevent that from happening. Oh, and I'm sure that in the event of suicide they would be guilty of murdering themselves, meaning if someone else get's blamed, everyone ends up dead.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Stephen9001 posted:

I think he actually said earlier somewhere that death by sickness would likely be the only death that doesn't count as murder, but that Usami would somehow prevent that from happening. Oh, and I'm sure that in the event of suicide they would be guilty of murdering themselves, meaning if someone else get's blamed, everyone ends up dead.

Yeah, the first game confirmed that suicide counts as murder. Monokuma's a bastard like that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Graylien posted:

I do wonder how he'd deal with death from illness though, can't execute a bacteria.

If you were the one who sneezed on the victim, you're guilty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Haifisch posted:

The best part is that this is something Ibuki might actually do as a two-second gag...and then it keeps going long enough that you realize something's definitely wrong.

...you know, given how Monobear doesn't know what the gently caress is up with Ibuki, are we completely sure this isn't an extended gag?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wouldn't say Ibuki's being gullible as much as she's being overly literal-minded

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I was amused whenever somebody was worried that a murder was going to happen, since the motive hadn't been shown yet. The only time so far that a killing had happened without a motive being given first was chapter 5 of the last game, and in that, Mukuro was already dead.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

This motive is really weird, and I don't entirely see how it's supposed to convince someone to kill. I'll be moderately peeved if the killer is one of the infected people, but I think it's more likely that one of them will be the victim. Although I hope that's not the case, cause I like all three people who've been infected so far. Maybe they'll just be accused of murder

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The motive isn't being sick. The motive is that other people are sick. If you're already inclined to kill somebody, this gives you an opportunity to create enough confusion to get away with it, like Trial 3 in the first game.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

That makes sense. I guess I was assuming that most of the remaining characters are basically decent-ish people and Hiyoko. But there are some characters that we still don't really know much about, and the first game was really good at keeping me guessing as to who would die/kill next, so it could be anyone!

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 5, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I wouldn't put it above Monokuma to have the traitor kill Akane. She's making him look bad.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: I-I...will go make the infected change their clothes, and then I'll have them sleep in the patient rooms.
: Understood! So I just have to change my clothes, correct!?
: *Sob*...I'm scared of changing...
: A-Anyway! Everyone else, please wait here!

As she supported all three of them with her shoulders, Mikan disappeared into the depths of the hospital.

: Dammit...I never expected us to get sick... What's going to happen...?
: I would not mind if Nagito retired...permanently...
: Is...Mikan gonna personally change their clothes?
: ...What's wrong with that?
: Does that...include Nagito, too? Isn't that a little bad?

: Kehehe...there's no need to panic.
: Even I...attend to the needs of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction.
: Don't lump hamsters and teenage boys together!
: Hey, is this stupid conversation going to last much longer?
: Shouldn't we be seriously thinking about what we need to do from now on and stuff?

What we need to do from now on...hmm...

: The scene will continue when we talk to Hiyoko. Usually I skip these but enough people have interesting things to say that I'll talk to everyone.

: ...Monokuma...said the disease was spread by insects we can't see with our eyes. Would bug repellant from the supermarket...help?

: Looks like things are getting pretty strange...
: But now's the time for us to do our best. We need to stand firm until Nekomaru comes back...!
: Don't overlook yourself too much, though. Your wound hasn't fully healed yet.
: Heh...I can't slack off now.

: By any chance... Is Mikan...gonna attend to *all* of Nagito's needs...!?
: Dammit...this is a dilemma... I don't wanna get sick...but I'm jealous of that disease!

Now's not the time to say stuff like that...!

: I am worried about those three...but is there a chance that Mikan will catch it while she is tending to them?

We should consider that, too...

: Can I say I love how Gundham is hanging out behind the reception desk? I dunno why I like this detail so much.

: This disease...it resembles an illness the Demon King once unleashed long ago to wipe out a large country...
: There is no reason it would work against me, the Supreme Overlord of Ice. Kehehe!

: Let's progress.

: That disease sure look dangerous. Nagito, Akane, and Ibuki aren't acting normal. If it spreads to anyone else, a killing is bound to happen.
: Based on their observed behavior...I cannot deny that.
: But those guys aren't being considerate. I want them to at least have the decency to consider committing suicide before they start bothering us.
: H-Hey Hiyoko...
: I know...it can't be that easy... So it's important to make sure we don't end up catching the disease.
: "Make sure"...what do you mean?

: Jeez, why don't you get it? We need to isolate them from us so they won't spread the disease!
: I-Isolate!?
: If you can't cure it, the only option is to stop it from spreading... Even a preschooler knows that.
: B-But still...isn't isolating them...a bit too harsh...?

: Hey, if everyone catches the Despair Disease, we won't be able to do anything about it anymore, you know?
: Y-You're right...there's no way we should allow it to spread...
: ...H-Hold on a sec!
: Isolation...you mean we need to quarantine them inside the hospital, right?
: Ch-Chiaki...! Don't tell me you...also agree with this!?

: ...It's to prevent a killing. As long as that disease is Monokuma's motive, if we just ignore it... A killing *will* happen again. To prevent that, we also have to prevent the disease from spreading... That's why we need to quarantine them.
: Even if we quarantine them... Who's gonna take care of them?
: Mikan's gonna stay here anyway. She's been touching the infected all over so it's possible she's already caught the disease.
: B-But...there's no way we can leave her by herself...
: Then why don't you stay too?
: ...Huh?
: Now that I think about it, you touched them when you took their temperature, right?
: ...Oh.

: Soooo I'll leave the rest to you. Contact me if something happens.
: C-Contact you...? How are we supposed to do that!?
: Oh right, we need to think of a way to communicate. If we keep meeting in person, we could catch the disease.
: Soooo, I'll let you handle that Kazuichi.
: Y-Yeah...got it...

: Fret not...we are not going to abandon you. I shall station myself nearby in case anything happens.
: Nearby...?
: There is a motel on this island. Until this matter is resolved, we shall stay the night there.
: Whaaaaaat? Do we really have to stay at such a dirty place?
: What are we supposed to do if we can't immediately get here if something happens? Also...if that disease is airborne, the hotel on the 1st Island might already be unsafe.

: We must be vigilant about protection! I have those who I must protect!
: They're just hamsters, dude...
: That is an unkind thing to say, you fiend...! How dare you call my Four Dark Devas of Destruction, "hamsters"!

: F-Fine...I'll just stay at the motel, okay? Jeez, how annoying.
: Even if it's a quarantine, we're still gonna be on the same island, so just call us if something happens.
: ...Tch.
: Wh-What...what're you frustrated for...?

: This...is obviously a trap. Monokuma's goal is to separate us as a group... Is it really okay for us to fall for that?
: It's not like...we've stopped being friends. I just don't want a killing to happen ever again... We can't prevent that if everyone gets sick, you know?
: Yeah, that's right man... There's no way we're gonna lose together here, you know?
: Cause if that happens...then Monokuma gets what he wants!
: ...Hey Hiyoko, what did you say to me earlier? Something about me being the first one to get cut off...
: Wh-What's...wrong with that?

: This...this must be that moment... It's not like Mikan and Hajime are enough people...
: ...Are you saying you're gonna stay here, too?
: Huh...? You too...?
: This life of mine is a spare anyway...!
: Fine then...do whatever you want!
: Hey Fuyuhiko...are you sure? You might be endangering yourself, you know?
: Hey...don't make me repeat myself.

: Y-You're really, really okay with this? Then...I'm gonna leave the rest to you, too.
: Whatever's happening over here, just leave it to us... We'll make sure to keep the disease from spreading... C'mon, shouldn't you guys head over to the motel before you catch the disease?
: I-I am sorry we are forcing this upon you like this...
: No...what everyone's saying is true...so...it's okay...

: Thank you, both of you...I won't let your feelings go to waste. We'll make sure to find out the mystery of the Despair Disease while you're all here...
: ...I think. Probably.

I-I'd really prefer if she had a more confident-sounding catchphrase...!

: Now then...I shall excuse myself. I am counting on you.
: ...Then I'll make sure to figure some way to communicate later.
: Bye-byeeeeee! Do your best and try to stay alive!

And just like that...the others left, leaving me and Fuyuhiko at the hospital.

: I never expected...it would turn out like this...

: It's not like it's their fault... It's that bastard Monokuma's fault... Tch, I can't believe he'd actually arrange something as irritating as a disease...
: Ah! Thank you for waiting!

: Phew...they've finally finished changing. Everyone's resting in their rooms.
: ...Huuuuh? Why's it just you two?
: Um...you know...
: Ah, I know! They must've left to get fruits to bring back later!

: Heee...everyone is so kind... I'm so glad everyone is so thoughtful toward their friends...!
: Well...like I said...
: Hehehe, we're all equals when we're sick. Let's all work together and do our very best.

: ...Hajime, I'm sorry but...I'll let you handle the explanation...
: ...That's quite the burden I have to bear.

And so...we decided to split into two groups.

In the hospital, there are the three people who caught Monokuma's Despair Disease: Akane, Nagito, and Ibuki... There's also Mikan, who's nursing them back to health... And as a safeguard, Fuyuhiko and myself. Altogether, six people are staying at the hospital.

Chiaki, Gundham, Kazuichi, Sonia, and Hiyoko are staying at the motel on the same island.

As for Nekomaru... He's...not back yet but...

Anyway, until we do something about this Despair Disease, our current situation isn't going to change. But...we have no clue what we need to do.

Seriously...what should we do...?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm just not seeing what about this situation is going to drive anyone to kill anyone else. It's a situation that may be easy to take advantage of, but other than Nagito, and Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko I guess there's no real friction left in the group, it's hard to picture any of them opting for murder after everything they've already been through together.

Then again I suppose there's still whoever's supposed to be the traitor, and we can't really rule out more ridiculous secrets and dark pasts popping up out of nowhere at this point, even though that's probably my least favorite kind of plot twist.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zoe posted:

I'm just not seeing what about this situation is going to drive anyone to kill anyone else. It's a situation that may be easy to take advantage of, but other than Nagito, and Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko I guess there's no real friction left in the group, it's hard to picture any of them opting for murder after everything they've already been through together.

Then again I suppose there's still whoever's supposed to be the traitor, and we can't really rule out more ridiculous secrets and dark pasts popping up out of nowhere at this point, even though that's probably my least favorite kind of plot twist.

Fear, of course.

You're right that there isn't a lot of friction left in the group, but when people in the group can be arbitrarily stricken with a disease which robs them of their sanity, it creates fear about what the ill are capable of in their changed state, there's fear of losing one's own mind to the disease, fear that one could be killed by the disease or killed by someone else while being helpless because of the disease.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is interesting to note is just how different the motives are in the two games. As in there was always a sense of temptation around the first game but in the second Monokuma isn't acting nearly so subtle.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This definitely says something about the different group dynamics between DR1 and DR2 - at this point in the first game, we can think of several potential murderers while where we're "But who?"

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder if this is actually a real disease or just the result of stress from all of the hardship everyone has just gone through.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. I wonder if Chiaki's the plant. She has a way of getting people to do things without making it seem like she's the one in control.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

Judging someone for their crimes... No one has the right to do that...

Really? Because that's kinda one of the cornerstones of civilization man.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Y'know, if the disease makes you act in some way opposite to your normal personality, I can only imagine what Mikan would be like if she got infected...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

LonelyMudkip posted:

Y'know, if the disease makes you act in some way opposite to your normal personality, I can only imagine what Mikan would be like if she got infected...

She would be a normal, well-adjusted human being.

Nobody will notice she's infected.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: ...Hu...h...?

...I suddenly woke up. And if I woke up...that means I fell asleep without realizing it.

Earlier...I discussed it with Fuyuhiko and we decided we'd take turns resting... That's right. That's why I came to the on-call room on the 2nd floor of the hospital. I haven't been sleeping well the past few days, so a sudden drowsiness overtook me... And I was asleep...which is a good thing, but...

My body...feels really heavy for some reason.

No...it's not just heavy... It feels somewhat soft...and...

: ...I-I can't breathe!?
: Mmmm...zzzz...
: Ughhh...Mikan?
: Ngh...you're tickling me...!
: Ugh... M-Move...I...I can't breathe...!
: Nghhhhh...n-no you can't...don't move around...!
: ...H-Huh? Hyaaaaah! Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Hajime!?

: Hajime, are you okay!? Your complexion is a bluish-purple shade! It might be a severe cyanotic reaction! Hajime! Can you hear me? Get ahold of yourself!

Mikan finally got off me, grabbed my shoulders, and began shaking me intensely... Somehow, that was enough to get my consciousness to drift back to reality.

: Ugh...ughhh...!

: Ah, Hajime! You've regained consciousness!
: I'm...I'm so glad... I thought you died...!
: M-Me too... I seriously thought I was gonna die...!

: I-I'm sorry... I thought about taking a rest in the on-call room, but you were already asleep so...
: That doesn't mean you can climb on top of me!
: Then...I'll be on the bottom next time!
: ...That's seriously *not* what I'm talking about!
: H-Hey...

: What are...you guys doing...?
: F-Fuyuhiko!?
: No...this is...I really hope you didn't get the wrong idea...

: W-Were you guys sleeping together?
: Y-You dirty rotten bastard! You guys are fuckin' high school students!
: Seriously, you've got this all wrong...
: We don't have time for that! Nagito...he's in danger!
: Danger...what...?

: When I peeked inside his room earlier, it looked like...he wasn't breathing...!
: Huh...?
: Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh!? Th-This is bad! Now's not the time for us to rest! *leaves*

Mikan vigorously leapt out of bed and ran out of the on-call room.

: Hajime, now's not the time for you to be pitching a tent! We need to hurry!
: S-Seriously, I'm not...

Fuyuhiko and I chased after Mikan as she ran into Nagito's room.

: N-Nagito! Please, get ahold of yourself!

Despite Mikan's desperate pleas, I didn't see Nagito react at all.

: There's...no way he died, right? The body discovery announcement isn't playing, right?

: *Fidget fidget*...! *leaves*

: Dammit...he's totally waiting for it...!
: This...looks very bad...
: Mikan...is Nagito all right?

: Ah, ah...um... It looks like...his b-breathing has returned...
: R-Really?
: But still...his condition is unpredictable, and that's putting it lightly.

: How light is that? Is it sweet potato soft?
: If so, that's pretty light...

Music cuts out.

: Please don't interfere!

*Monokuma leaves again*

: Hey, look. Isn't Nagito's mouth moving?
: You're right...he might be trying to say something!
: Nagitoooo! What happened!?

As she said his name, Mikan softly tilted her ear toward Nagito's lips.

: ...What did he say?

: Apparently his condition has improved...and he feels quite refreshed...
: Um...since Monokuma said that Nagito has the "Liar Disease"... He probably means the opposite...and actually feels really crappy.
: But what's going to happen if he just dies? We're not going to have a class trial, right?
: Don't talk like that!

: Nagito...is never going to die! I will save him by any means necessary!
: I see, got it... Then I leave Nagito's life to you.
: Y-Yes!

Far from her usual self, Mikan responded assertively and went back to tending to Nagito.

: If we stay here any longer...we might just get in the way...

: Then follow me. While you were resting, the "goods" arrived. I gotta show them to you...

The "goods"...aren't something dangerous, right...?

: Let's go to the lobby.

: You can talk to Fuyuhiko while in the hallway, though he just points us to the lobby again. The hallway lighting does make him look ominous though.

: Before we go to the lobby though, we never did check out the 2nd Floor of the hospital back when we were here before. Let's go ahead and do that now.

: The stairs up are at the end of the hall.

: Upstairs has a couple rooms to check out, one of which we just woke up in. That bottom green room is just another decorative room like the ones with the Monokuma doctors below, but all this has is a few pieces of medical tech in it.

: First, there's a conference room.

: Hm...this room is...

There's a lot of chairs and desks here. I guess it's sort of like a conference room...

: The conference room has a few objects we can examine.

It's a folding desk. They probably arranged these inside the conference room during meetings.

: There's another Hidden Monokuma in here but I didn't spot it while playing. It's already hard to see when it's daytime and nighttime makes it even harder. Try finding it for yourself. If you can't see it now, I get it later on.

It's a really big window... The room looks more spacious thanks to that.

It's a projector. Well, it's not strange for it to be in a conference room, after all.

: It's a big curtain.

A big, black curtain inside a hospital... It doesn't really seem like it belongs... Is that because...this is a conference room?

: The other room on this floor was the on-call room, or Staff Room.

: Not much to the on-call room honestly.

Medical equipment and nursing tools... There's a lot of other medical stuff here, too. This room looks like it's used to store equipment...

: In a nice little touch, Fuyuhiko is actually following us around as we look in the rooms right now. He'll ask us why we came this way but ultimately still pushes us towards the lobby. I appreciate the consistency though.

There's a bed... It resembles the ones in the patient rooms, but these are probably for breaks.

: That's all for the 2nd Floor. But I figured that while we were delaying going to the lobby, we may as well check in with the other two patients and see how they're doing.

: As was mentioned, Mikan helped them change into hospital gowns and the game reflects it.

: *Sob*... I'm scared... I don't wanna be in the hospital... Waaaaah...I wanna go hoooome...
: I-It's going to be okay...you don't have to worry. Fuyuhiko and I are here, so don't cry.

I've never seen Akane cry like that... I don't really know what to do...

: I understand that you're worried...but there's nothing we can do here.
: The "goods" were delivered to the lobby. Let's hurry up and go.

: Last detour, then we go to the lobby for real.

: You came to visit and see how I am doing!? Thank you very much for your courtesy!
: Oh, is it okay for you to be awake? You should be resting in bed.

: Thank you very much for your consideration! I shall heed your kind attitude and take a rest!

Compared to Nagito, Ibuki seems fine... Are there individual differences in symptoms, too?

: Finally, the lobby.

: Hey Fuyuhiko... What did you mean when you said "goods"?
: Look on top of the reception desk...

...On top of the reception desk?

: Well this is new.

Fuyuhiko is talking about...this, right? It looks like a monitor and a camera unit...

: Hey, what is this?

: Perfect timing... The blue light is blinking.
: Does something happen...when this blinks?
: "Seeing is believing", as they say. Try pressing the button just below that light.
: ...I just have to press the button?

I did what Fuyuhiko said and pressed the button...

: "Heeeey, is this Hajime!?"
: "Hehe, loud and clear! Looks like it's perfectly connected!"
: Kazuichi...? Then this is...!
: Yeah, that's right... That's...the way to communicate he was talking about.

: "Looks like it's time for the Ultimate Mechanic to shine. How about it!? This is what I've been working on!"
: "Remember that alley with all those shady-looking street booths? That's where I found this. It's a surveillance camera for household use...and I just tweaked it a little."
: "So now...it's basically a video chat device. Well, it's a pretty hit-or-miss."
: Video chat, huh...
: It's true...we don't have to worry about getting infected with this...

: "Soooo...it may be a hassle but we'll be contacting each other with this from now on, okay!? This was only a test run this time... So I guess this should be pretty fun."
: "...Okay then, see ya later!"

*click*

: Kazuichi left this while you were resting. This surveillance camera unit comes with a surveillance camera and a surveillance monitor. Anything the camera records is broadcast live on the monitor. So he prepared two of these sets, and swapped each of their cameras.
: I see... By swapping the cameras, his monitor will display what's on my camera and vice-versa.
: Apparently he also modified it a little. He widened its narrow communication range beyond just household use.

: But even so...he still had a limit, so apparently the signal can't reach from the hospital to the motel...
: Then...we can't communicate between the hospital and the motel.
: You didn't notice? He was contacting you just now from the music venue near the motel. From there, the signal reaches the hospital with no problems.
: But they're staying at the motel, right? What happens if we can't reach them when we need to?

: I thought the same thing...so we arranged times for us to contact each other. It's set up for us to communicate 30 minutes after Monokuma's morning and evening announcements.
: Our next contact with them is going to be tomorrow morning. Don't sleep in.

He's well prepared... As expected of the heir of an enormous organization.

: ...Hm? What is it?
: Nothing...

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... It is now 10:00 p.m. Please return to your rooms and relax. Let the sound of the ocean gently rock you to sleep. Now then, sweet dreams everyone. Good niiiiight...

: It's that time already, huh... Now then, where should I sleep tonight...?
: Are you planning to use the on-call room with a certain someone again?
: Like I said...it's not what it looked like...

: Hey hey...aren't you misunderstanding?
: A hospital is a facility for sick people, so it's not for lodgings or young romantic trysts, you know?
: Y-You too!? What are you talking about...!?

: Oh I see... Your generation has fallen out of the habit of looking at bulletin boards...
: C'mon, take a look at the bulletin board! There's a notice on there, right!?

A notice...on the bulletin board?

A bulletin board notice...is he talking about this?

Hospital Precautions:

-Eating and drinking are forbidden within the hospital building.
-If patients do not need to be accompanied, overnight stays by non-patients are expressly forbidden.

: Right, it's like the notices you often see inside hospitals! You can't stay overnight here!
: There is...one patient who needs to be accompanied.
: Oh, you're talking about Nagito, right?
: Then I'll allow just one person to accompany him! The rest of you need to hurry up and get outta here! *leaves*

: "Hospital precautions", my rear end... He should've said so sooner...!
: Only one person can stay the night... And there's no way we can make Mikan leave...
: I guess we have no choice... We should head back to our cottages then.
: You're right...even if we stay here, we probably won't be able to do anything...

After explaining the circumstances to Mikan, we decided to go back to our cottages for the time being.

So...Fuyuhiko and I are going to be the only ones sleeping in our cottages tonight... I'm...a little worried.

No, the ones who are stuck in the hospital should be more worried. What's the point...of me getting so worried?

: All right...when I wake up tomorrow, I'll go to the hospital right away. I feel bad leaving Mikan alone.
: ...I guess for now I should try to get some sleep.

: Good evening. It's time for Monokuma's cooking class.
: Today we're going to learn how to make taiyaki. The first thing you'll need is...a time machine. We will travel back in time to the Meiji period and meet a person named Seijiro Kanbe. He used to bake and sell turtle-shaped pastries, but unfortunately they never sold all that well. It's important that you gently cheer him up because he's gonna be disappointed in himself when you meet him. From there, get serious and insist that he try making his pastries fish-shaped because they'll sell better. Once that happens, he'll happily bake his pastries in the shape of a fish. And as a final touch, name these pastries "taiyaki"...
: Okay! With this, you've finished making taiyaki! This concludes Monokuma's cooking class.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

have to say the eyepatch helps with Fuyuhiko's complex about his baby face

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That sure felt like a survey of potential crime scenes and the introduction of a bunch of rules that'll be part of the evidence. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Mikan is awful. Really, really awful.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sindai posted:

That sure felt like a survey of potential crime scenes and the introduction of a bunch of rules that'll be part of the evidence. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow.

And a list of suspects/victims too!

:ohdear:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Mikan is awful. Really, really awful.

and also probably evidence that the disease is contagious given her confidence in speech and actions now.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

have to say the eyepatch helps with Fuyuhiko's complex about his baby face

I'm surprised Monokuma gave him such a sick eyepatch, I mean, what is that, a dragon? I'd have expected a Monokuma themed patch, but I guess Fuyuhiko would have just refused to wear it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Glazius posted:

Hm. I wonder if Chiaki's the plant. She has a way of getting people to do things without making it seem like she's the one in control.

Chiaki seems way too positive to be peddling Despair. I've noticed that after every murder she's the one that puts the 'well maybe it's best we think of it this way' spin on things, putting what happened in the best possible light so that it's not just senseless killings. 'Byakuya was trying to protect Nagito.' etc.

Also, if Mikan is contagious then we're sick now too after the way she was snuggling up to us and it looks like breathing directly onto our face. Thanks Mikan. :mad:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To me it seems more like she's just capable of being assertive when it comes to her specialty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sindai posted:

To me it seems more like she's just capable of being assertive when it comes to her specialty.

She's shown that when performing autopsies, the issue is actually giving the report since Hiyoko is such a bitch

• Locked thread