Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Report: Phil Jackson couldn’t get his computer to work during free agent pitch
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-phil-jackson-couldn-t-170101753.html

"When Jackson sat down with a free agent last July the meeting got off to an awkward start when Jackson couldn’t get his computer to work. General Manager Steve Mills had to step in to start the video of how Jackson envisioned the Knicks and the unnamed free agent would play.

That video? Footage of the ’90s Chicago Bulls. The free agent in question was confused. He couldn’t figure out if Jeff Hornacek or Jackson was the coach. Either way, the player signed elsewhere."

Frustrated posted:

Why is every gm in the east so bad, and everyone in the West at least competant. This year we might see a 50win west team not make the playoffs, and a 35 win east team get the 8th seed.

35 win team could be like fourth seed in the east.

Michael Corleone posted:

With the West getting stronger, will the Cavs have a chance to get the best record in the league and HCA for the Finals if they try hard? Work hard during the season THEN coast in the playoffs, I think we had it backwards last year.

No way they reach GSW unless GSW has 2-3 major injuries.

Adun posted:

Look at the end of the day the goal of any NBA team is to win a championship.

Ostensibly that's what is frequently said but looking at the actions of many owners and their franchises it's an impossibly hard case to make. The goal of any NBA team is to GET THAT $$$. That's a much, much easier case to make when trying to harmonize the actions of all the owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Zogo posted:

35 win team could be like fourth seed in the east.

I would poo poo if any of the Cavs/Raptors/Celtics/Wizards/Bucks don't win 40 games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

why, our old friend Jeff Green of course.

Actually, anyone who can make a 3 and move their feet on defense. Patrick Patterson, James Johnson, Jonas Jerebko all fit the bill. Who knows if Gay can still play. If he can't play or re-injures himself, you're pretty much left with Jerami Grant and McDermott at the 4, which is a disaster for a team trying to be as good as possible for one season.

Um Nick Forever Young Collison would become the starter if gay were to get hurt.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/IAmJamesStewart/status/882373947131658240

Oh no, Riley's goons got to him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

People hitting refresh on his Twitch stream trying to seek the truth. :f5:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dexo posted:

Bruh for Dolan's inherited money I will make myself look like a fool publically with no hesitation.

Hell, you
*pivots ball to left hand dribble*
got company!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Hill deal is not bad at all and they have a poo poo load of talent they like and want to develop. While I wouldn't have minded more tanking, paying for a great security blanket for Fox and someone to push Skal everyday is fine with me. They are all on short deals too

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882378338697961472

thanks kd

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

I dont' know what to expect out of the Clippers next year at all, in short periods Paul-less Clippers usually still played pretty well, but that sort of thing rarely holds up over a season.

In one word: disappointment.

In two words: Doc Shook.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

nba.coms box scores are all hosed up for summer league right now but who uses that site anyways its garbage.

Each year nba.com gets worse. They made the data so hideous this past year so that all the information that should only be in the top column is now in every field.

e.g.:

Minutes in Game 25 Points 7 Field Goals Made 2 Field Goals Attempted 8 Field Goals Percentage 25.0 Three Pointers Made 0 Three Pointers Attempted 2 Three Pointers Percentage 0.0 Free Throws Made 3 Free Throws Attempted 5 Free Throws Percentage 60.0 Offensive Rebounds 0 Defensive Rebounds 3 Rebounds 3 Assists 2 Turnovers 2 Steals 3 1 Blocks Personal Fouls 3 Plus/Minus 12
Minutes in Game 21 Points 8 Field Goals Made 4 Field Goals Attempted 5 Field Goals Percentage 80.0 Three Pointers Made 0 Three Pointers Attempted 0 Three Pointers Percentage 0.0 Free Throws Made 0 Free Throws Attempted 0 Free Throws Percentage 0.0 Offensive Rebounds 1 Defensive Rebounds 3 Rebounds 4 Assists 0 Turnovers 1 Steals 0 1 Blocks Personal Fouls 3 Plus/Minus 1

What a great way to read data.

DeimosRising posted:

9 million seems very low for Iggy.

How much more? He should be even more on the decline in future playoffs.

Adun posted:

So PG + Hayward can't at elast compete in the Finals? I find that hard to believe given how good of a coach Brad Stevens is and any injury issues that might pop up for GSW.

PG/Hayward would be sad in the finals against 2018 GSW (quite possibly the GTOAT).

BWV posted:

I dont get people who ever say "players get too much money" and don't understand how that also means "owners deserve more money."

That's a false dichotomy as there are other people besides the millionaire players and billionaire owners. There are also the workers cleaning billionaire toilets with golden seats and golden flush handles and mopping up millionaire sweat. There are security guards fighting the drunks in the stands. There are people selling $30 hot dogs and reselling six figure tickets. Those are the people I cheer for when I watch the Bulls.

BWV posted:

I just assume they are racist...

That's always an easy option.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So does that mean a Boston sportswriter is now writing a hit piece?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gently caress he's goi to Toronto

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zogo you broke the goddamn page

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spacebump posted:

lol at someone taking Kanter

bah god, thats Erdogan's music

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ainge is the anonymous source of the article too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can't believe that Hayward is going to play in China or Greece or Spain.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if hes gone dark neither utah or boston would want him

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

how can it not be shaughnessy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Casspi is a way better signing than either rumored Nick Young or *Insert big*

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Hayward is probably just reading the latest patch notes for LoL, give the guy a break

(gently caress him for not going to Miami)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ghost Dog posted:

lmao

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Adding Hayward or George wouldn't have put Boston over Cleveland imo

Nor both.

Tae posted:

Who the gently caress is in the all-star game for the East? Butler, George are gone.

Just send the west. Zero defense as it is anyway.

Tae posted:

Zogo you broke the goddamn page

I fixed it. :hfive:

Libertine posted:

I would poo poo if any of the Cavs/Raptors/Celtics/Wizards/Bucks don't win 40 games.

I agree that the 3rd or 4th seed getting 35 wins probably won't happen but as long as it's a mathematical possibility I have a modicum of faith.

That was the guy that stole the triple-double from Wade. I thought that lemonhead would've gotten that axe for that. Although the Bulls need a new group of fall guys/scapegoats. He probably fits in there.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

WhyteRyce posted:

The Hill deal is not bad at all and they have a poo poo load of talent they like and want to develop. While I wouldn't have minded more tanking, paying for a great security blanket for Fox and someone to push Skal everyday is fine with me. They are all on short deals too

In a vacuum it's not a bad deal, but the fact that it's Sacramento makes me think Vlade is trying to accelerate a rebuild and not develop young talent. Also I'm a firm believer that you go after young FAs or you trust the process and try to get assets.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Woj also said that Miami has been eliminated, so it's the Jazz or Celtics.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
https://twitter.com/gordonhayward/status/109452677066407936

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The green one

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

EMC posted:

Hayward is probably just reading the latest patch notes for LoL, give the guy a break

(gently caress him for not going to Miami)

gently caress you I had to check that there wasn't actually a new patch

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/880951354990014468

:lol: if Rudy resigns here for some reason

Rudy: Welcome to basketball hell
Rudy: I love it here I want to be back

Yea, going back to SAC would kind of be like meeting Pinhead from the Hellraiser mythos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfE74l55WDI&t=70s

My condolences to him. Dude could be the next butterball cenobite.

Hopefully this is my peak offseason moment.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Trade Wiggins for George? Timberwolves would be crazy good.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/next-seasons-nba-heavyweights-warriors-cavs-spurs-rockets-timberwolves/

538 projects them as a 53 win team with Teague, 58 with Lowry.

Each year a lot of their projections explode in catastrophic fashion but they haven't been dissuaded from hiding them as of yet.

I'm dating a billionaire heiress. Any tips on how I can leverage that into buying a basketball team? Thanks.

Meet with Jerry Reinsdorf and convince him to open up a path for a second Chicagoland franchise!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://theplayerstribune.com/gordon-hayward-decision-free-agency-nba/

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/gordonhayward/status/882385708496957440

he chose boston

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/882386224941588480

drat.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
gently caress yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gently caress poo poo gently caress

God drat it for ever

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That's when the attack comes SWISH from the sides from the two other Bosh you didn't even know were there

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
gently caress yeah!

If we stay healthy and the Cavs don't, we're a lock to get whipped by Golden State in the final! :downs:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 5, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hayward is better than Durant, money checks out.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/882386532333760512

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

white lebron and whole wheat lebron will meet in the ecf

• Locked thread