Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

stroman will be available soon.

Sanchez is more likely since he's a Boras guy.

Also happy America Day!

https://youtu.be/Vmh6jzy3TmQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Maybe Angel Hernandez actually is good umpire and we're all just blind to our racism and confirmation biases :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Another thing to consider: how could Angel Hernandez see race if he can't see balls and strikes?

Oh my god

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Maybe Angel Hernandez actually is good umpire and we're all just blind to our racism and confirmation biases :shrug:

I hate umps equally. CB Bucknor, Joe West and Angel Hernandez.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's always the best when you go to a game and don't recognize any of the umpire's names.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

I hate umps equally. CB Bucknor, Joe West and Angel Hernandez.

This is where I think he had a point. Joe West is a crew chief and works the world series yet is just as bad as Angel and has way more of an ego and desire for attention.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Don't forget Greg Gibson, the home plate umpire.

I think Jerry Meals did some dumb call that makes me remember him once but I don't remember what it was.

I also know Hunter Wendelstedt because, well, look at that name.

Also Tom Hallion has a great strike three call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQpMhZW8_s

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Don't forget Greg Gibson, the home plate umpire.

I think Jerry Meals did some dumb call that makes me remember him once but I don't remember what it was.

I also know Hunter Wendelstedt because, well, look at that name.

Also Tom Hallion has a great strike three call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQpMhZW8_s

jerry meals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGomyAGYJQ

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

baseball player names have crossed a rubicon, welcome your newest Cub

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Thanks, this was it.

Also recalled Laz Diaz getting attacked by some drunk idiot.

And Fieldin Culbreth is another 80 grade name.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

R.D. Mangles posted:

baseball player names have crossed a rubicon, welcome your newest Cub

Please do not call him Leatherdaddy

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Freddie Freeman activated and will start at 3B against the astros tonight

:woop:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

:ohdear:

edit: apparently Sean Rodriguez may be starting a rehab assignment at Rome tonight too? Surprised, thought word was he'd be out all year.

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 4, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joey Freshwater posted:

:woop:

Yes, my Cody Bellinger/Freddie Freeman corner infield looks good this year :getin:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

elentar posted:

:ohdear:

edit: apparently Sean Rodriguez may be starting a rehab assignment at Rome tonight too? Surprised, thought word was he'd be out all year.

All those Tommy John ligaments we collected over the years and put into injury research are really starting to pay off.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
My Rays roadtrip adventure got me to my first game in Wrigley. Jesus loving Christ make Boxberger the closer.

E: Here have a photo

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 5, 2017

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The loving Royals have won 7 of their last 8 series. What the hell is going on? Baseball is a weird sport.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

alpha_destroy posted:

The loving Royals have won 7 of their last 8 series. What the hell is going on? Baseball is a weird sport.

Long seasons own

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/882466008581013504

V: :perfect:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

cis autodrag posted:

This is where I think he had a point. Joe West is a crew chief and works the world series yet is just as bad as Angel and has way more of an ego and desire for attention.

Joe West is also head of the umpiring union which I imagine has something to do with his post season assignments.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

stroman will be available soon.

Destined to end up in Houston and be forever called Astroman

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is Jim Joyce still umping? He was the only guy I could identify at home plate through sound alone.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

Is Jim Joyce still umping? He was the only guy I could identify at home plate through sound alone.

He retired at the end of last season

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

Do you remember how bad the offense was in April? It was extraordinary.

That being said Alcides Escobar is still dominating the "worst hitter in MLB" contest but Alex Gordon might still beat him depending on how long this recent hot streak lasts.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
are the ASG things blacked out on MLB.TV? I'm going to be driving through the scenic cornfields of these united states during most of the all star weekend so I'll probably miss them otherwise.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

cis autodrag posted:

are the ASG things blacked out on MLB.TV? I'm going to be driving through the scenic cornfields of these united states during most of the all star weekend so I'll probably miss them otherwise.

I really thought you could but I looked it up and: "Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout: National. Due to MLB exclusivities, live national broadcasts of Major League Baseball events, such as the All-Star Game, and select live national broadcasts of MLB games, including those broadcast by ESPN on Sundays, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands)."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: Logan Morrison is mad that he's not in the Home Run Derby

quote:

"I remember when I had 14 home runs,'' Morrison said. "That was a month and a half ago.''

V: Logan Morrison owns and I agree with him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

While it's true that LoMo has more homers I don't think many people would choose to watch him in the HRD over Sanchez.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

While it's true that LoMo has more homers I don't think many people would choose to watch him in the HRD over Sanchez.

With Judge already in the derby, Sanchez isn't really moving the needle. Morrison probably gets more people that weren't already tuning in to do so as a result.

I don't really care either way but I do remember him being a pro twitter follow in the past so it would have been a cool nod for him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The HRD is a glorified popularity contest because they need to sell tickets and use it to promote the sport. "Young Yankees Sluggers Judge and Sanchez go head-to-head" is a better headline than Morrison. It sucks but that's how it is.

In any case, all will be forgiven if MLB listens to the players' request and invites Ichiro.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Sydin posted:

In any case, all will be forgiven if MLB listens to the players' request and invites Ichiro.

This, but only if they change the rules to allow inside-the-park home runs :getin:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Comptroll The Forums posted:

This, but only if they change the rules to allow inside-the-park home runs :getin:

Ok.. given that HRD is now time based, and you assume they still have the child outfielders... Does Billy Hamilton have the stamina to complete enough inside the parks to win?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jacoby Ellsbury is just bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Logan Morrison is kind of a toolbag bug he kind of does have a case here. Sanchez' reaction to his complaint is pretty great too, though.

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/882615711578959872

EDIT: Also, all of that said, if you look at the Final Vote results, clearly LoMo is not a popular player.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 5, 2017

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Correa X-rays negative, thankfully

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CUBS POSTERS

I'll be in Chicago visiting an old friend this weekend and we are planning to catch the game on Saturday. Judging by stubhub I maybe should have bought tickets a few weeks ago.

What is the best way for three of us to get seats that aren't behind a support post or laughably expensive at this point? Three is like the worst number of seats to look for so I'm not optimistic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

CUBS POSTERS

I'll be in Chicago visiting an old friend this weekend and we are planning to catch the game on Saturday. Judging by stubhub I maybe should have bought tickets a few weeks ago.

What is the best way for three of us to get seats that aren't behind a support post or laughably expensive at this point? Three is like the worst number of seats to look for so I'm not optimistic.

Good luck.

But seriously, if they aren't out of your price range I would highly recommend getting bleacher seats. Just arrive early and you'll be able to sit together the whole game, try and grab a front row bench. Bleachers are my favourite place to sit in the whole park and everyone is pretty friendly out there.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Also, all of that said, if you look at the Final Vote results, clearly LoMo is not a popular player.

Only because they don't let praying mantises vote. :colbert:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

alpha_destroy posted:

The Royals aren't nearly as bad of a team as they were in April. They're just a boring average team that will finish with 80-85 wins. They probably would've been better off being super terrible, though, so at least they could get a little return for some of their good players at the deadline. Keeping the core of a team to compete for the second wildcard and is going to leave anyway doesn't seem like a great long-term strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Royals aren't nearly as bad of a team as they were in April. They're just a boring average team that will finish with 80-85 wins. They probably would've been better off being super terrible, though, so at least they could get a little return for some of their good players at the deadline. Keeping the core of a team to compete for the second wildcard and is going to leave anyway doesn't seem like a great long-term strategy.

The team is pretty cooked after this year no matter what; I'd just as soon they buy one more ticket to the lottery known as the MLB playoffs rather than blow it up a year in advance. That said in neither case do the Kennedy or Gordon contracts make sense.

• Locked thread