Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Hell shut down because the devil left and went to LA.

Make this cross over happen dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Loved the reveal of agent Featherstone, I really didn't see that one coming. Also nice that Hoover has been on screen for five seconds and already been established as being somewhat slow and bumbling.

Assuming Starr is German in the show like he is in the book, I'm curious as to how they will pronounce his name.
In my mind (I'm a German native speaker) his name had nothing to do with a "star" ("Stern" in German, pronounced "shtern") but it was the German adjective "starr" (pronounced "shtarr") meaning "stiff" or "rigid" which I always thought was a nice bit of foreshadowing to his eventual head modification and all other dick-related stuff he's got coming in his future. So if they pronounce his name with a "sh", it will make me unreasonably happy. :)

Also curious what the K is going to stand for, as he never had a first name in the comic. Karl? Klaus? Kevin? Keanu?

Zaphod42 posted:

And did everybody notice the sorta-subtle "Hitler!" audio when he appeared? That was pretty great, I think. Just in case there was any doubt as to who it was.

Yeah, there were definitely echoes of a crowd yelling "Heil Hitler", which was a bit gratuitous to my mind. Eh, could have been worse, they could have slapped a huge screen-filling caption on him like for the Saint of Killers...

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The wide shot of Starr in his office being so similar to Odin's can't be a coincidence.

Also, that Eugene scene was brutal. He just got rejected worse than any man in history and he's still trying to scoop her brains back into her skull. :(

His suicidal crush's personalized hell experience must be on a whole other level of brutal with how much of a vile individual she was revealed to be in just that one sequence of events, can't imagine how many hell points she must've racked up in her short lifetime.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, there were definitely echoes of a crowd yelling "Heil Hitler", which was a bit gratuitous to my mind. Eh, could have been worse, they could have slapped a huge screen-filling caption on him like for the Saint of Killers...

I thought it was some kind of echo of his hell life-reel playing, like he was reliving one of his self-aggrandizing rallies or issuing some of his most heinous orders that would lead to so much pointless slaughter, destruction and misery right before he exited his cell

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

savinhill posted:

I thought it was some kind of echo of his hell life-reel playing, like he was reliving one of his self-aggrandizing rallies or issuing some of his most heinous orders that would lead to so much pointless slaughter, destruction and misery right before he exited his cell

If I was programming Hitler's endlessly-repeating Hell moment it'd be his last birthday celebration ten days before he killed himself, where he'd be able to see the mirthless doomed eyes of everyone around him forcibly honoring the man who had ruined their country and assured their own demises. Nothing but a celebration of failure. Over and over again, eternally.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zaphod42 posted:

He's not a general though so he can't go with that. And Starr is the kind of dickhead that would require people to refer to him just so. heh, you know what I mean

"Head of Samson Unit Starr" is too wordy :)

"Sacred Executioner"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

savinhill posted:

Hitler's hell is replaying the scene from Downfall for ever and ever

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hitler's hell is replaying the scene from Downfall for ever and ever

No...every time someone makes a new one, he's forced to watch it, no matter how terrible it is, and he's never allowed to find out what obscure thing it's referencing.

"Young man...do you happen to know what is 'World of Warcraft,' und why I would ever be zo upset by it?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 5, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dave Syndrome posted:

Loved the reveal of agent Featherstone, I really didn't see that one coming. Also nice that Hoover has been on screen for five seconds and already been established as being somewhat slow and bumbling.

Assuming Starr is German in the show like he is in the book, I'm curious as to how they will pronounce his name.
In my mind (I'm a German native speaker) his name had nothing to do with a "star" ("Stern" in German, pronounced "shtern") but it was the German adjective "starr" (pronounced "shtarr") meaning "stiff" or "rigid" which I always thought was a nice bit of foreshadowing to his eventual head modification and all other dick-related stuff he's got coming in his future. So if they pronounce his name with a "sh", it will make me unreasonably happy. :)

I think you'll probably end up being disappointed. I'm the comics, his one shot has the Allfather recounting the story of his revenge, and he notes that during the attack the kids said "a star for Starr". Probably wouldn't make as much sense pronounced differently

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Medullah posted:

I think you'll probably end up being disappointed. I'm the comics, his one shot has the Allfather recounting the story of his revenge, and he notes that during the attack the kids said "a star for Starr". Probably wouldn't make as much sense pronounced differently

Yeah, I remember that. I may have put more thought into it than Garth Ennis originally did. Let's see how it goes.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also curious what the K is going to stand for, as he never had a first name in the comic. Karl? Klaus? Kevin? Keanu?

The K got me to think of the lawyer Ken Starr who investigated Bill Clinton. Was that what they wanted to convey? Who knows.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

I wan't to know what's in the "Pig" folder. Is this a reference to something from the comics?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think so, or at least can't think of what it could be. They already used Odin Quincannon, that's about the only thing where you could conceivably claim a relation to pigs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think it's just an indicator that Jesse isn't a "HOLY poo poo DROP EVERYTHING" priority..... yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't think so, or at least can't think of what it could be. They already used Odin Quincannon, that's about the only thing where you could conceivably claim a relation to pigs.

It might be his name for Allfather D'Aronique, and having a file on his desk that says "Pig" draws less attention than one that advertises its full of dirt on his boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Medullah posted:

I think it's just an indicator that Jesse isn't a "HOLY poo poo DROP EVERYTHING" priority..... yet.

Definitely, but there was an idea there. They could have just said "John Smith" or some other normal dude name. Somebody picked "Pig" for a reason. That's not insignificant.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe it IS a report on Quincannon, updated to reflect recent events? That's my only idea, other than something crazy they're planning for the show up ahead. Or just something random.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man I really hope that this show digs itself out of the ratings slump. This season has been nothing short of great so far but things aren't looking too good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Man I really hope that this show digs itself out of the ratings slump. This season has been nothing short of great so far but things aren't looking too good.

I wouldn't be too worried: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halt_and_Catch_Fire_(TV_series)

If they're keeping H&CF on, they can keep this on. Each episode barely cracks 300k. Last season's finale didn't even do that.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Aha! I knew that Hitler looked familiar. Turns out he has previous Hitlering experience, as he was Hitler in the John Cusack movie Max. I feel comfortable that he will meet all our Hitler needs going forward. (The actors name is Noah Harris, if anyone is curious. He was also in the most excellent western movie The Proposition, which if you haven't seen I recommend you do at first opportunity).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Aha! I knew that Hitler looked familiar. Turns out he has previous Hitlering experience, as he was Hitler in the John Cusack movie Max. I feel comfortable that he will meet all our Hitler needs going forward. (The actors name is Noah Harris, if anyone is curious. He was also in the most excellent western movie The Proposition, which if you haven't seen I recommend you do at first opportunity).

He was also a character in Game of Thrones the show that wasn't in the books. He was the guy who hacked off Jamie's hand.

*Noah Taylor

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I was pretty excited to see Malcolm Barrett in the show as the bartender. He was in Timeless, and more importantly was Lem in Better off Ted.

Then I realized who he was playing and I got upset cause I like Malcolm Barrett, and know what happens in the comics to his character.

But god drat is it good casting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, it's entirely possible that we haven't been shown the part where the Saint of Killers kills Satan on his way out of Hell because he insults him (or in this case the SoK kills him merely for being in charge of his torment). That might explain why Hell is breaking down organizationally, but they can't reveal that yet.

This series is really fond of advancing the story and filling you in later on as to the 'why' of things.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I really enjoy the IMDB cast page for this show, as Ian Colletti is credited first as Arseface and second as Eugene

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My mom just had her high school reunion and some dude she dated back then was the actor who played God (or the dude pretending to be God).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Your mom sucked god's D.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

One thing that's starting to bug me a little bit was how a few days were apparently enough time for Fiore to become so popular that he not only attracts visitors from outside the region but also has make-a-wish kids carted to him on a regular enough basis that he's getting annoyed by it.
I don't think it was that he's seen so many of them, he just didn't give a poo poo. That was probably the first one.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

savinhill posted:

His suicidal crush's personalized hell experience must be on a whole other level of brutal with how much of a vile individual she was revealed to be in just that one sequence of events, can't imagine how many hell points she must've racked up in her short lifetime.

Nah she's fine. She only did anal, remember?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Nah she's fine. She only did anal, remember?

The hosed thing is that under Christian dogma (especially in this series where Heaven and Hell are real) she'd get into Heaven on a technicality, though probably only following a LONG stint in Purgatory because she might have been technically murdered by her mother, but she did semi-unsuccessfully attempt to take her own life (and not even for a good reason), which if she'd succeeded would have been a "Go directly to Hell, do not pass Go" situation.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Leaving aside how many different versions of "Christian dogma" there actually are, the way the TV series is going Heaven and Hell seem to be run more like highly dysfunctional government departments that infallible servants of God. I'm actually kind of interested to see where they're going with this hell subplot.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

The motel fight vs the Seraphim in S1 was a top moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9jlek0Ymlc

'D'ye know what this remindes me of'

'Shut up, Cassidy'

I still have no idea what that joke meant.

I do love how Cassidy stumbles in on the brawl and immediately shoots the Seraphim in the head then joins in without hesitation.

Titan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 8, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, this episode is pretty great.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Titan posted:

I still have no idea what that joke meant.

I do love how Cassidy stumbles in on the brawl and immediately shoots the Seraphim in the head then joins in without hesitation.

It wasn't a call-back to anything as far as I know, it was just funny that Cassidy has seen a lot of weird poo poo in his time, that a death brawl with a replicating angel reminded him of another incident

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Is it just me or does it seem like they've doubled the commercial break frequency?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Poor Hitler. :(

The fight scenes are really great in this series.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I wonder if that nun in hell was meant to be Mother Teresa

They'll have to do a QA where they explain all those characters, I doubt they will in-show

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

I wonder if that nun in hell was meant to be Mother Teresa

They'll have to do a QA where they explain all those characters, I doubt they will in-show

Yeah I would be shocked if they didn't have a real person in mind for every one of them.

Also gently caress you, show, you made me feel bad for Hitler :mad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat that was a good fight scene for TV! Hard hits, lots of improvised weapons and smashing, and nice long consistent camerawork so you can actually keep track of the action!

Man I was so bummed on mainstream action for a long time following all the Bourne-style shakey cam poo poo, hopefully Daredevil's given everybody an example of how to do fight scenes properly and we can get more poo poo like this!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Eugene you gotta avoid peer pressure, Hitler is looking out for you

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yes, Eugene, kick the man who is known as the most evil person who managed to convince an entire nation to commit genocide with just his words.

I'm glad they are portraying Hitler as a man who is physically and confrontationally weak. Because him being a complete badass in Hell would've been way too easy and uninteresting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

I'm glad they are portraying Hitler as a man who is physically and confrontationally weak. Because him being a complete badass in Hell would've been way too easy and uninteresting.

Agree completely.

Also like that Hitler's Hell is apparently having a Jewish man tell him his drawings are crap; AND that we don't actually get the payoff of seeing it. (Although a future episode may change that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hell as a militaristic police state that has bureaucratic fuckups and a repairman on call is a pretty incredible vision of Hell.

• Locked thread