Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
So, first panel Colossal > Mule > New > Beast.

Second panel (from top to bottom) Armored > New > Mule > Beast > Female

I always figured it was something like that but I didn't realize New was a specific titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

So, first panel Colossal > Mule > New > Beast.

Second panel (from top to bottom) Armored > New > Mule > Beast > Female

I always figured it was something like that but I didn't realize New was a specific titan.

Think top 1st is Attack Titan. And its Mule > Attack > Female. It doesn't have the pointed ears

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'd say that the big ol' horse in the second panel could also be a representation of the Beast Titan. Since we know the shifters' forms can vary significantly person to person (compare Grisha' Attack Titan to Eren's, or the Galliard's Jaw Titan to Ymir's), maybe that shifter had a predilection for horses in the same way Zeke apparently liked monkeys.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

In It For The Tank posted:

Anyway, based on the general progression of these chapters, I guarantee that next chapter will feature a flashback of Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie's attack on Wall Maria, and it will be juxtaposed by Armin and Eren's attack on Liberio.

I'd like that, I don't care about the ethical ramifications if means a good role reversal and mirrored brutality if only for the catharsis it would bring our angry little protag, dude hasn't gotten to indulge in quite a while

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, caught up with the manga after not having read it for a few months.

What the gently caress is going on?!

I feel like I'm reading a timeskip that is also a flashback that explains gently caress all about what's going on while also having all the answers in plain sight.

To my understanding, basically the entire manga and Eren's team up to this point are just one isolated island that have little to nothing to do with the greater world, kay cool turns out there was no apocalypse, that's a neat twist, and the rest of the world is making their way towards WW1 level technology and weapons and getting the upper hand on this other county that's been using Titans the entire time, makes sense, but holy gently caress could the manga choose a worse way to get that information across?

I feel like if I'd been reading this as it was released I'd have gone nuts

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, we did have a timeskip and now there's a bunch of flashbacks as we see the other side of Reiner's story so that's more or less accurate? It sounds like you caught all the important points.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In It For The Tank posted:

This chapter also reveals the final titan shifter, the so-called "Warhammer Titan" in the fan translation I read.

It's design is a little different from what we've seen before, but I kind of dig it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Nice to see the final titan revealed and a description of the titans.

Colossal - Bigger than big
Founder - Mind fucks and control
Jaw - Big chompers and cardio
Cart - Energizer bunny, never stops
Armor - Gets hard
Beast - Good throw
Female - Brings the boys to the yard
Attack - Can't get enough FREEDOM
Warhammer - Attack roll 5d6

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Okay, caught up with the manga after not having read it for a few months.

What the gently caress is going on?!

I feel like I'm reading a timeskip that is also a flashback that explains gently caress all about what's going on while also having all the answers in plain sight.

To my understanding, basically the entire manga and Eren's team up to this point are just one isolated island that have little to nothing to do with the greater world, kay cool turns out there was no apocalypse, that's a neat twist, and the rest of the world is making their way towards WW1 level technology and weapons and getting the upper hand on this other county that's been using Titans the entire time, makes sense, but holy gently caress could the manga choose a worse way to get that information across?

I feel like if I'd been reading this as it was released I'd have gone nuts

Its bad enough the names and faces are string to smash together and I barely remember everything they reference.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's an early translation.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Is that Ymir eating the dude? I can barely tell people apart in this series sometimes; let alone titans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's yet another flashback of Ymir eating Marcel.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Finally caught with the manga. I didn't believe the stuff found in Grisha's basement will actually live up to my expectations, but it was probably one of the best reveals I have ever seen.

Right now I'm trying to find Eren's lookalike in Marley, but can't see him. Is he supposed to be somewhere in 093?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He is, speculatively, the black haired scraggly dude whose face is conspicuously not shown amidst the wounded crazy ptsd soldiers in a recent chapter.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Gantolandon posted:

Finally caught with the manga. I didn't believe the stuff found in Grisha's basement will actually live up to my expectations, but it was probably one of the best reveals I have ever seen.

Right now I'm trying to find Eren's lookalike in Marley, but can't see him. Is he supposed to be somewhere in 093?

People are speculating that the shell shocked Eldian with the armband on the wrong arm and missing limbs could be Eren because they look similar, and that person's face has been obscured in ways that seem deliberate.

This chapter wasn't the big turn we might have been hoping for, but it's giving us more context on the relationship between the Marley and the non-Paradise Eldians and is locking in the end game. Specifically, the existence of Teiber family shows that the Eldian condition in Marley is more complicated that we first thought, and the meeting scene gives us more insight into Zeke and his plans for the Eldians.

I also think the chapter supports my general theory that there are clans of Eldians that have specific affinities to specific Titans, likely due to them being descendants of the original 9 titan power carriers.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

This chapter wasn't the big turn we might have been hoping for, but it's giving us more context on the relationship between the Marley and the non-Paradise Eldians and is locking in the end game. Specifically, the existence of Teiber family shows that the Eldian condition in Marley is more complicated that we first thought, and the meeting scene gives us more insight into Zeke and his plans for the Eldians.

I also think the chapter supports my general theory that there are clans of Eldians that have specific affinities to specific Titans, likely due to them being descendants of the original 9 titan power carriers.

It has also shown that the universe exists solely to crush Reiner's self-esteem any time he manages to build up any.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man reiner's life sucks doesn't it

every time I think his backstory is done making GBS threads on him, it does it again

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's yet another flashback of Ymir eating Marcel.

Specifically it shows a part of their backstory that was shown this season in the show, where they're camping and Ymir comes out of the ground to attack them. This hadn't actually been clarified yet in the manga (how one mindless titan got the jump on a well trained team of warriors), so I'm assuming that's one of the changes Isayama wanted to make with the anime as far as the sequencing of certain flashbacks.

Also thought it was interesting that Marcel had to actively sabotage Porkman to get Reiner the armored titan -- apparently even undying loyalty wasn't enough to earn him a top 6 spot without some extra help.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

man reiner's life sucks doesn't it

every time I think his backstory is done making GBS threads on him, it does it again

It's his punishment for hitting on Historia.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

And it really shows Reiner was the worst candidate. First he lost against Eren in wrestling (tho Bert saved him). Then got bodied by Eren's hardening fists in Shiganshina. Then his years of combat training as the Armor was countered by a jerry-rigged explosive device designed by people who learned about electricity 2 months prior (tho Bert saved him again with titan magic). Then he got owned by the same explosive, this time without Eren's help. Hell he couldn't even get through his first genocide without his personality splitting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, if reiner had gotten eaten by ymir instead of the actually competent guy, they'd have been utterly screwed by mikasa or levy. annie and bert had ways to counter them but the jaw titan would have been insanely dead

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sub Harrison posted:

And it really shows Reiner was the worst candidate. First he lost against Eren in wrestling (tho Bert saved him). Then got bodied by Eren's hardening fists in Shiganshina. Then his years of combat training as the Armor was countered by a jerry-rigged explosive device designed by people who learned about electricity 2 months prior (tho Bert saved him again with titan magic). Then he got owned by the same explosive, this time without Eren's help. Hell he couldn't even get through his first genocide without his personality splitting.

Wasn't it mentioned that like Mikasa he was also way ahead of the other trainees? Maybe his problem was confidence than ability. In which case maybe it was his soldier delusions that made him actually competent.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The core tragedy of Reiner's character is that the only time he was ever happy was among the 104th training corps, because it was the only time he was ever respected. As a warrior, life (and those around him) just shits on him endlessly.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

kay cool turns out there was no apocalypse
well, this is still possible

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

He has also blown his cover in the most spectacular way possible - by telling the avatar of vengeance he had killed his mother, then trying to kidnap him when his scary sister was watching.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The anti-titan technology that is from inside the walls is vastly superior to even modern day technology in many respects. The grappling hook jetpacks and explosive piledrivers are crazy advanced for the time period, don't downplay their technological advancement, or reiner not understanding their purpose until it was too late.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Captain Invictus posted:

The anti-titan technology that is from inside the walls is vastly superior to even modern day technology in many respects. The grappling hook jetpacks and explosive piledrivers are crazy advanced for the time period, don't downplay their technological advancement, or reiner not understanding their purpose until it was too late.
When you consider how much they thickly lay on the "how this works is top secret information" stuff through all those early explanations of the gear, yeah, there is some twist to anti-titan tech that still hasn't been revealed. I suspect there's eventually going to be something even bigger than the basement reveal and it's related to that top secret stuff. My bet is it's in relation to the memory-wipe.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, they just had the walldian equivalent of DaVinci cook those up.

It's a black box because they kept technology suppressed, so while the 3DMG was allowed, the monarchy didn't want it or its principles developed further by the public.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

Nice to see the final titan revealed and a description of the titans.

Colossal - Bigger than big
Founder - Mind fucks and control
Jaw - Big chompers and cardio
Cart - Energizer bunny, never stops
Armor - Gets hard
Beast - Good throw
Female - Brings the boys to the yard
Attack - Can't get enough FREEDOM
Warhammer - Attack roll 5d6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckxOWz868k&t=80s

lmao at female, thats just a mr show skit

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah it made sense when the survey corps were calling Annie the female titan because every other titan (pure or shifter) they had seen up to that point had been male/androgynous. It's a little weird that the Marley folks also call that one the female titan despite having a much better understanding of its power that would presumably allow them to give it a name that demonstrates what it actually does.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Didn't Frieda's version of the founding titan also have female characteristics too?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

Didn't Frieda's version of the founding titan also have female characteristics too?

It did, yeah.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

JahRoo posted:

Yeah it made sense when the survey corps were calling Annie the female titan because every other titan (pure or shifter) they had seen up to that point had been male/androgynous. It's a little weird that the Marley folks also call that one the female titan despite having a much better understanding of its power that would presumably allow them to give it a name that demonstrates what it actually does.

Unless the female titan always has female characteristics regardless of who is chosen. I'd assume it's the common points across holders that earn them the name.
Plus, note how the mythological titan drawings always have a bunch of giant men plus one giant woman (aside from the mythological Ymir herself).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

It's simple. Clearly, the Female Titan is the Queen, the Founder is the King, Colossal and Jaw are Bishops, Beast and Mule are Knights, Armored and Warhammer are Rooks, and the Attack is a Pawn.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Kyte posted:

Unless the female titan always has female characteristics regardless of who is chosen. I'd assume it's the common points across holders that earn them the name.
Plus, note how the mythological titan drawings always have a bunch of giant men plus one giant woman (aside from the mythological Ymir herself).

I assume the explanation has to do with how the 9 powers are supposed to represent different aspects of the original Ymir, so the female titan represents her being a woman. The only way to know for sure is for Connie or Jean to inherit Annie's power.

ATP_Power posted:

I sort of assumed that the founding titan more closely resembles the appearance of its user than the others do, since we see a few different versions of it in manga flashbacks and the only female forms are held by women. We don't see Grisha's attack titan again after he eats Frieda so it's hard to say if mixing lines had any effect on the appearance.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

It did, but only after she ate Uri. On the frame she's about to eat him, her titan looks male.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter makes it sound a bit like there's going to be a setup to make the Paradisians look like they're responsible for an international incident, which might be an excellent opportunity for an incognito Eren to intervene and throw egg all over Marley's face.

Like, in political terms, the world is pissed off at Marley because they're the ones using the Titans as superweapons. Their beef with Paradis is hundreds of years old, which is long enough for even the most firey outrage to cool off. It might seem a little cut and dry as a solution goes, but if they can expose a Marleyan attempt to kill a bunch of diplomats as a means of constructing a pretense for invasion, they might be able to guarantee a meager degree of safety for any Eldians who have the sense to defect.

or maybe i've been reading too much kingdom

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm curious as to what the opinion of the Eldian people is outside of Marley. Zeke and co seem pretty convinced that it's unnegotiable genocidal hatred, but how much of that is Marleyan propaganda?

Moreover, I wonder if people from other nations distinguish between the two. For all the Marleyan government portrays its people as superior to the Eldians, I imagine anybody from outside the country would lump them together as "those fuckers that control the titans."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if some of the titans, like the Attack Titan and Female Titan are even supposed to have any unique powers. Was the Female Titan's "scream and attract mindless titans" thing a unique ability of hers? Heck, even the armor titan doesn't necessarily seem to have unique powers, since Eren have been learning to harden parts of his body as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

realistically speaking, I doubt neighboring countries particularly care about the finer details on who the giant cannibals sent to eat them alive are. eldians or marleyans, it's all the same in this case