Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Max Wilco posted:

The one that I remember someone pointing out is Donald's outfit from Kingdom Hearts.

It doesn't look that bad at first, but on closer inspection, you ask yourself "Why does Donald have a zipper on his hat?"

And a belt. Is it part of the hat even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Not just one zipper, but three.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I feel like the 4th of July is the perfect day for someone to rhetorically ask "what kind of idiot puts a belt on their hat?"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kokoro Wish posted:

Not just one zipper, but three.

Its one zipper that goes all around the hat.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To Japanese designers, zippers and belts are just another decorative feature.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I feel like the 4th of July is the perfect day for someone to rhetorically ask "what kind of idiot puts a belt on their hat?"

"dude wtf even is farming lol"

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Is it like one of those bags that you can put together and take apart made of zippers? So if he had two he could make an even bigger hat?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like the zip bags, but I love the World's Most British Man presenting them.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'd like to note that Nomura did alot of people watching but he did so in the Harajuku district of all places, so he saw these insanely wild and not exactly smart fashion designs walking around. Suprise suprise, he made a shitload of equally ugly and confusing designs for years. Since that fashion style is basically dead, he seems to have calmed down a bit?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 5, 2017

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I'll take Nomura's 'ugly' designs over the generic bullshit in most video games, at least I can remember what Nomura characters look like.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I'd be shook too if I was a city guard in gamorra.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even register the dick until my second glance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So loathe.
Please Death.
Much thank. :staredog:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bieeardo posted:

I didn't even register the dick until my second glance.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: I didn't even register the dick until my second glance

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

(unnerved, exasperated sigh)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don't forget the extra nipples just in case you weren't 100% sure that this was also about loving regular, non-fantasy animals.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I mean it's no different than the greeble vomit things that western developers STILL can't get through their heads is NOT a good idea.

I'm glad that fidget spinners exist because now I have something to compare Bungie guns to.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I mean it's no different than the greeble vomit things that western developers STILL can't get through their heads is NOT a good idea.

what is this?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

what is this?

I assume he means this the needlessly complex and at times incomprehensible designs of things like Transformers, but I don't know of a game that actually pulls that off to nearly the same effect.

Like what is even going on in this picture?

Why?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 5, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, you have to have stuff on your thing, or it's not really a design, just shapes.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Initially, because simple solids composed of flat panes are somewhat visually boring. Then because the technology isn't good enough to render true realism but sticking to simplified forms can't show off its power very well, so you substitute motion and detail for form and precision. Then, apparently, because people are easily impressed by pure visual noise.

I can't think of TOO many games that fall deep into that trap though; sci-fi games sometimes have a problem with vehicles and weapons that are just a mess of vertices vomit, and I can think of a few games like Prototype or the (apparently incredible) Prey reboot where some of the creature designs are just visual nonsense.

aniviron posted:

I mean, you have to have stuff on your thing, or it's not really a design, just shapes.

Mostly being jokey here, admittedly. Art direction matters and simple forms can accomplish a lot, but you're not wrong that detailing is important. There's just a certain school of thought that takes it to such a ridiculous extreme it's hard to tell what you're even looking at.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 5, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I can't think of TOO many games that fall deep into that trap though; sci-fi games sometimes have a problem with vehicles and weapons that are just a mess of vertices vomit, and I can think of a few games like Dishonored or the (apparently incredible) Prey reboot where some of the creature designs are just visual nonsense.

The creatures in Prey being bizarre and pretty incomprehensible is completely intentional, and during actual gameplay the designs work out really well. You can usually tell at a glance exactly what kind of alien you're looking at, but what exactly it is is another question. I think that in the grand scheme of things they're some of the cooler sci-fi aliens because they really don't look like anything on earth.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 5, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

The creatures in Prey being bizarre and pretty incomprehensible is completely intentional, and during actual gameplay the designs work out really well. You can usually tell at a glance exactly what kind of alien you're looking at, but what exactly it is is another question. I think that in the grand scheme of things they're some of the cooler sci-fi aliens because they really don't look like anything on earth.

It at least mostly works in Prey and Prototype yeah (and sorry for writing Dishonored there initially, was still waking up), but when reaching for examples in videogames, there weren't many that came to mind, so I grabbed the couple I could. I honestly can't think of many games where the creature design is a serious problem in that way, and I probably shouldn't have presented those as such.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
When I think of that kidn of design, I think of lovely gun and armor mods for existing games, really.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

fishmech posted:

When I think of that kidn of design, I think of lovely gun and armor mods for existing games, really.

You rang?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

At least I can tell what I'm looking at even when it's in motion, in this case.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gah, that metal mesh stuff they use looks like it was rendered seperately at like 640x480 then stretched onto the higher res rest of the gun.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

GunnerJ posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: I didn't even register the dick until my second glance

Mods, please

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

Mods, please

And another finger closes on the monkey's paw.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I am unhealthily amused by this turn of events.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lola's Fem-On-Male Preset. Okay, so this is supposed to make a man that looks like a woman, let's-

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25335/

More of an "Anime-on-Male" preset, I think.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
FINALLY

I too can be an anime character

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Captainsalami posted:

Mods, please

Nice.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Midnight Voyager posted:

Lola's Fem-On-Male Preset. Okay, so this is supposed to make a man that looks like a woman, let's-

Thank god, now I can do a JoJo run of Fallout 4.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I'm the stock you could never use because it's a triangle and would dig into your flesh. I'm also the unnecessarily large trigger and redundant iron sights

Actually gently caress it I'm the whole thing

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Furia posted:

I'm the stock you could never use because it's a triangle and would dig into your flesh. I'm also the unnecessarily large trigger and redundant iron sights

Actually gently caress it I'm the whole thing

I'm the sharp, freshly machined edges on the polished metal body

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midnight Voyager posted:

More of an "Anime-on-Male" preset, I think.

"...Are you going to slit your wrists with the razor first, or can I? :sigh:"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I was looking for a mod that unlevels the Silver Shroud armour and what do I find...
Silver Shroud Three Versions

quote:

Three female versions of silver shroud costume, skimpy yet aesthetic and lore friendly. Outfit includes CBBE physics. Stand-Alone and Replacer

:raise: It's the hat right? That's what makes it lore friendly?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raygereio posted:

:raise: It's the hat right? That's what makes it lore friendly?

It's the Gomorrah version of the outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Silver Shrank-in-the-wash