Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Dolash posted:

If Homestuck were made today it'd probably integrate Twitter in some way. Honestly, Donald Trump harnessing Twitter to become President of the Dark Alternate Timeline sounds as plausible as any of the Juggalo or Guy Fieri based C-list celebrity dystopias Hussie invented.

I would rather have a double Juggalo presidency than the one we have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Well Manicured Man posted:

I would rather have a double Juggalo presidency than the one we have now.

Well, the dems DID have two clown candidates, the problem is they just ended up picking the less funny one

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I haven't read any of Cool and New Webcomic since their first flash but from the sounds of it it's essentially a living embodiment of Dirk's soliloquy about how you can't really do something ironically without a certain degree of complete and utter sincerity.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
someone edit the how do you do fellow kids to have a minions shirt and fidget spinners, tia

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

I haven't read any of Cool and New Webcomic since their first flash but from the sounds of it it's essentially a living embodiment of Dirk's soliloquy about how you can't really do something ironically without a certain degree of complete and utter sincerity.

dirk had some of the most interesting problems and ideas explored imo

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dave and Dirk seemed to capture the most of Hussie's own voice, humor and style, which you can see from the odd snippet of Hussie's own conversations he used for Dave's dialogue or things like Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff he originally made independent of Homestuck then getting attributed to them. John being the designated protagonist, prototypical naive hero and just general sincere and unironic person makes his relationship with Dave (and Dave's whole complex around John being a hero and him not) kind of interesting. Could probably go down a Tyler Durden rabbit hole there.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ArfJason posted:

dirk had some of the most interesting problems and ideas explored imo

Not exactly a high bar to clear out of the alpha kids when the other choices are "is a teenage girl who likes a boy", "is a teenage girl who likes a boy but solves her issues through rampant alcoholism", and "is a teenage boy that is tired of everyone hitting on him"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dolash posted:

Dave and Dirk seemed to capture the most of Hussie's own voice, humor and style, which you can see from the odd snippet of Hussie's own conversations he used for Dave's dialogue or things like Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff he originally made independent of Homestuck then getting attributed to them. John being the designated protagonist, prototypical naive hero and just general sincere and unironic person makes his relationship with Dave (and Dave's whole complex around John being a hero and him not) kind of interesting. Could probably go down a Tyler Durden rabbit hole there.
Probably why Dirk and Dave had some form of resolution to their arcs, as opposed to like 90% of characters who just existed.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Probably why Dirk and Dave had some form of resolution to their arcs, as opposed to like 90% of characters who just existed.

and even then they don't really feel earned

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

and even then they don't really feel earned
Oh, I'm not saying it's super great. That whole segment felt like a "Oh you want beta/alpha conversations? Meh, here you go." dump. He shouldn't have spent all of goddamn Act 6 teasing it and at some point let the conversations flow naturally and have the interactions breathe instead of unloading it all at the last second.

Still, better than characters that got hyped up and did all of jack poo poo, like Karkat, Jake, and so on.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Not exactly a high bar to clear out of the alpha kids when the other choices are "is a teenage girl who likes a boy", "is a teenage girl who likes a boy but solves her issues through rampant alcoholism", and "is a teenage boy that is tired of everyone hitting on him"

i didnt mean solely in the context of the alpha kids, i meant as in the whole comic in general

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ArfJason posted:

i didnt mean solely in the context of the alpha kids, i meant as in the whole comic in general

Oh, whoops.

Given the sheer number of characters, is it really that much higher a bar to clear though? You don't even have to take the Hussie avatar thing into account here, there's just so many characters with plot threads that go nowhere that the few that do get explored stand out a lot in comparison. I mean I like Dirk's arcs, but I'm not sure if it's because it was actually good or if I was just starved for character development at the time.

Given how long homestuck is I'm really not inclined to go back and reread it to see how it holds up archivally. Plus all the animations are flash and don't work on mobile devices without going out of your way, so...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i also didnt quite mean how well each presented concept was concluded.

The ideas dirk represents and explores are really fun and interesting; dealing with the fact that even if a clone of you isn't you, it's still a facet of you and his gently caress ups are also YOUR gently caress ups in a way, while also not being yours.
even if the classes and aspects were on the spot made up bullshit, it tied nicely into his and who he is and why he does things. There was also the whole irony façade of kinda also meaning it but owning up to it, while shielding yourself behind the excuse of irony, which was also a dave thing. it's been a veeeeeery long time since i read anything related to this comic, so im definitely missing a lot of nuance.

i'd also wager that while not concluded well, karkat's entire introspection and self loathing made explicit through very literal screaming at himself through time shenanigans was a fun way to tread a topic thats as old as dirt.

some of the themes and how they are presented is really cool, especially with all the symbology tied to each character, and my big picture point is, that despite not landing most of the broader or specific thematic elements of each character, some of them were pretty cool or presented in a fun way that kept me engaged.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
not to say that presenting interesting stuff and getting nowhere with it *isnt* a problem, it is and it loving sucks that karkat and vriska went practically nowhere. or rose. or jane. or kanaya.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:cripes:

Maybe I will go back and reread homestuck one last time at some point. I'd completely forgotten about that entire part of Dirk's arc, it's just been so long i was just remembering the Jake stuff as all of it. I know my recent posts here might just be bitching about it but I unironically enjoyed homestuck during its run, Hussie has a certain charm in writing characters that's really pleasant to read. Dude still needs an editor though

If nothing else, it'll be fun to re-experience the music again. I've got a weakness for cheesy chiptunes and it's one of the main reasons I started reading this comic in the first place.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

ArfJason posted:

not to say that presenting interesting stuff and getting nowhere with it *isnt* a problem, it is and it loving sucks that karkat and vriska went practically nowhere. or rose. or jane. or kanaya.

my friend it is easier to list the characters that did go somewhere

because it is a fake list

Dirk is still a massive creeper who predatored on Jake, just like Meenah did with (Vriska).

Meenah asking Post-Retcon Vriska how old she was was one of the lowest points of the comic's lowpoints, the post-retcon stuff.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

:cripes:

Maybe I will go back and reread homestuck one last time at some point. I'd completely forgotten about that entire part of Dirk's arc, it's just been so long i was just remembering the Jake stuff as all of it. I know my recent posts here might just be bitching about it but I unironically enjoyed homestuck during its run, Hussie has a certain charm in writing characters that's really pleasant to read. Dude still needs an editor though

If nothing else, it'll be fun to re-experience the music again. I've got a weakness for cheesy chiptunes and it's one of the main reasons I started reading this comic in the first place.

you didnt come off as insufferably bitchy, imo. also, yes, dont worry too much about forgetting things because with a comic this massive, thats particularly easy.

Clawtopsy posted:

my friend it is easier to list the characters that did go somewhere

because it is a fake list

Dirk is still a massive creeper who predatored on Jake, just like Meenah did with (Vriska).

Meenah asking Post-Retcon Vriska how old she was was one of the lowest points of the comic's lowpoints, the post-retcon stuff.

this is more or less what i meant by characters sticking the landing. As much as I liked the issues presented by Dirk's monologues and all, he was one of the most terrible people from his particular session. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to be a nice person to be interesting. lovely people can be just as interesting and valid. Problem seems that Dirk had moments of clarity about who he was and what he was doing, yet it seems they were just what i said, nifty ideas presented in a fun way, he never really made amends like he seemed he was going to for being a pretty monstrous manipulator.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

yes we all forget comic things friendo, even me when :spergin: out over stupid poo poo

ArfJason posted:

this is more or less what i meant by characters sticking the landing. As much as I liked the issues presented by Dirk's monologues and all, he was one of the most terrible people from his particular session. Don't get me wrong, you don't have to be a nice person to be interesting. lovely people can be just as interesting and valid. Problem seems that Dirk had moments of clarity about who he was and what he was doing, yet it seems they were just what i said, nifty ideas presented in a fun way, he never really made amends like he seemed he was going to for being a pretty monstrous manipulator.

Absolutely agree. Dirk being lovely was interesting, but was kind of ruined by the failed landing. If there were repercussions or something similar, then it would have been compelling and understandable. Instead, it got rushed and then they seemed to be friends and there was no resolution. I know the 'BUT REAL PEOPLE DON'T HAVE ARCS' meme, but Homestuck doesn't contain real people. They're characters. If they have a fundamentally flawed character trait, the story needs to have them grow and learn, or fall victim to their inability to do so. See also: Vriska.

It's why Aranea is a better Vriska, especially post-retcon.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
https://twitter.com/shelbycragg/status/882130426034245633

Anyway let's get back on track about the true OTP shown here. What chemistry!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i hope thats sarcasm

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm gonna be real, I thought Cool and New Music Team was just a semi ironic joke. Didn't realize it was based on a partner Cool and New Webcomic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bogart posted:

I'm gonna be real, I thought Cool and New Music Team was just a semi ironic joke. Didn't realize it was based on a partner Cool and New Webcomic.

I mean those aren't exclusive categories

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I heard a secondhand rumor that there might be new Homestuck content soon, can anyone in this thread confirm it as true or false?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

lookit this fool shittalking Roxy

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I heard a secondhand rumor that there might be new Homestuck content soon, can anyone in this thread confirm it as true or false?

absolutely true

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tralse

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

truth is the lie we tell ourselves

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm way more interested in the new, seemingly non-Homestuck project Hussie is working on than whatever epilogues and way-too-late games they're working on to keep the smoldering interest in Homestuck alive.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i just want it all to end so the healing can begin

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You dont and you wont.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

Some wounds never heal.

Anyway, I'm now pretty sure that rumor was fake as Hell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

Just stop picking at it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

17776 is like homestuck, if it was good and not complete and utter poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

17776 is like homestuck, if it was good and not complete and utter poo poo.

I was about to crosspost it here actually

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tunicate posted:

Weird, I was just about to do the same thing.

Everybody, get in on this. Come enjoy some football.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Tunicate posted:

What am I looking at here?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Oh, hey, it's Jon Bois. Yeah, he's good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

What am I looking at here?

The future of football, duh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Something has gone wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was about the most Homestuck thing I could expect to see on what I think is meant to be a sports website?