Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic are horseshit. Roger Federer won the Australian Open and Rafael Nadal won the French Open, so I guess it's 2007.

Serena Williams is having a stupid Twitter fight with John McEnroe and Maria Sharapova didn't get a wildcard because she's a doping doper and didn't want to go through qualifying so she withdrew with an "injury".

Also Venus Williams literally killed an elderly man last month: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/29/sport/venus-williams-blamed-for-fatal-car-accident/index.html

http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

The most prestigious slam of the year begins Monday, June 3 and ends Sunday, July 16. Local time in London is 5 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Time.

TV coverage begins 7 a.m. Eastern every day on ESPN with streams of every court (except 15) on WatchESPN. The Wimbledon app and website also offer excellent radio/video streams.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Roger Federer 2/1
Rafael Nadal 4/1
Andy Murray 5/1
Novak Djokovic 6/1
Marin Cilic 18/1
Milos Raonic 18/1
Alexander Zverev 22/1
Nick Kyrgios 22/1

Top 8 Ladies' Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Karolina Pliskova 9/2
Petra Kvitová 9/2
Johanna Konta 9/1
Garbiņe Muguruza 14/1
Venus Williams 14/1
Jelena Ostapenko 16/1
Angelique Kerber 18/1
Simona Halep 18/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUj5CNKEKo4

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Go federer imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Venus Williams killed someone, but her crimes are nothing compared to Serena's Crimes against Tennis.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I know it's only 1R but no good matches tomorrow.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Josh Lyman posted:

I know it's only 1R but no good matches tomorrow.

Cilic v Kohlschreiber is probably the pick of the day, but Dustin Brown's also playing and he's generally worth watching, especially on grass. And Petra's playing tomorrow. Also Azarenka v Bellis and Lisicki v Konjuh could be interesting. Maybe my standards are low. :shrug:

I noticed Sloane Stephens is back, that's nice. I always liked her tennis but it feels like she's been out forever.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger Federer is the GOAT and he's gonna win this one too. Unbelievable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I find it almost inconceivable that Federer could win #19 so soon after 18 when that one took four and a half years. But yeah he just might.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: We're live fuckers! The tennis is live! :siren:

Glare Seethe posted:

I find it almost inconceivable that Federer could win #19 so soon after 18 when that one took four and a half years. But yeah he just might.
Who's gonna stop him? Murray and Djoker are dogshit right now and Nadal doesn't care after La Decima.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Please don't jinx.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Federer's custom shoes vs retail. So loving wide, so much ankle padding. I need them for my wide rear end feet.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Ash Barty went out, she had a lovely draw and missed a crapload of easy shots at the net.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

And Wawrinka is about to tumble out of the draw. Whoopsy.

Well Medvedev did give Djoko a good run out last week but this is poor from Stan.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 3, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Venus Williams killed someone, but her crimes are nothing compared to Serena's Crimes against Tennis.
You're welcome. :smug:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
wtf happened to wawrinka?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He died

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, RIP.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Mirjana Lucic Baroni was beating Carina Witthoeft 6-3, 5-7, 5-0 and held match point to win the final set in a bagel. She lost the point, lost the game and lost the set 8-6.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Unbelievable

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Now that's a meltdown.

Hope we see Djoko do similar.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Puckish Rogue posted:

Now that's a meltdown.

Hope we see Djoko do similar.

Just look how his opponent moves, that guy is not going to finish the match.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The new Sharapova is making her Wimbledon debut right now, Katie Boulter.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

The new Sharapova is making her Wimbledon debut right now, Katie Boulter.

We don't have a doping regime good enough for a hot woman's slam winner.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

drat two retirements in a row on Centre.

Poor Dolgopolov, his health problems have shitted on his career.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone really needs to loving slap tomic.

the Guardian posted:

“I couldn’t care less if I make a fourth-round US Open or I lose first round. To me, everything is the same.”

Tomic’s behaviour infuriated fans back home, with one tweeting that he “would have to be the laziest tennis player to ever step foot on court. I am embarrassed to call him a fellow Aussie”. Another said “Can we deport Bernard Tomic”?

His response was to suggest that his critics back home were probably sitting in front of computers earning A$50 an hour. “You know, I’m going to play another 10 years and I know after my career I won’t have to work again,” he added.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

oliwan posted:

Someone really needs to loving slap tomic.

:agreed: he and Kyrgios are lazy arrogant douchebags and most of us Aussies like to pretend they don't exist, which is unfortunate as they're our top ranked players.

I don't think Hewitt was ever this embarrassing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Fanatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYONVkozDQ

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Tomic keeps going on about how much money he has but it isn't that much considering the number of matches he's tanked. If he was only after the money wouldn't he play harder to get it? He's been going downhill (again) since Federer accidentally dissed him.

Kim Clijsters is doing commentary on the BBC. She says Tomic should take a break and it's a waste.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Fanatic posted:

:agreed: he and Kyrgios are lazy arrogant douchebags and most of us Aussies like to pretend they don't exist, which is unfortunate as they're our top ranked players.

Hewitt wasn't popular, but you can bet he would have killed himself on live television before he would have tanked a match to get back home earlier.

The New Yorker has a Kyrgios profile in next week's issue. It's already online.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/10/nick-kyrgios-the-reluctant-rising-star-of-tennis

edit:

Kyrgios always reminds me of a really tall basketball player who doesn't give a poo poo about the game, but plays it anyway because he happens to be good at it. You can hide that sort of thing in a team environment; it gets really jarring when that type of person is alone on the court playing a sport like tennis though.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 5, 2017

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

Hewitt wasn't popular, but you can bet he would have killed himself on live television before he would have tanked a match to get back home earlier.

The New Yorker has a Kyrgios profile in next week's issue. It's already online.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/10/nick-kyrgios-the-reluctant-rising-star-of-tennis

"Pat rafter strikes you as the kind of guy you want to have a beer with, Leyton Hewitt strikes you as a pretty good guy to invade Poland with"

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

Kyrgios always reminds me of a really tall basketball player who doesn't give a poo poo about the game, but plays it anyway because he happens to be good at it.

Yeah. I think Tomic and Kyrgios don't enjoy their job, but they're too good at it and make too much money doing it to feel comfortable quitting, and this is exacerbated by years and years of outside pressure (either from family, colleagues or fans). So they feel trapped by their own talent in a way and end up resenting the sport even more. I have some empathy for their situation, even though they are, objectively speaking, privileged to be playing tennis for a living (no doubt hearing people say this about them will just make them even more resentful since they hate it), and far richer already than most of us will ever be.

Meanwhile, there are lots of bugs at Wimbledon today.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Glare Seethe posted:

Meanwhile, there are lots of bugs at Wimbledon today.

Flying Ant Day is living up to its name.

Ewww.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 5, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dustin brown is my favourite person in the world

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm Janowicz's grunt.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

With Kvitova out, all I want for Christmas is a Svitolina/Ostapenko round of 16.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/bbctennis/status/882635541858201601

That is plain weird.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

He and Tomic have both been fined. Tomic has to pay $15000 for faking an injury (and admitting it in the press conference); Medwedew $14500 for his coin shenanigans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Uh....did someone just die on the court?

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Mattek-Sands hosed her knee up real good. Took a while before they turned the cameras away from the court and muted the sound. drat that must be some intense pain.

Sad for her doubles partner Safarova too :(

More Tomic:

quote:

On top of the $15,000 fine levied against him by tournament officials, Tomic has been dropped by his racket sponsor, Head.

"We were extremely disappointed with the statements made at Wimbledon by one of our sponsored athletes, Bernard Tomic," the company said in a statement. "His opinions in no way reflect our own attitude for tennis, our passion, professionalism, and respect for the game. Therefore, we have decided to discontinue our collaboration with Bernard Tomic."

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 6, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

fancyclown posted:

Mattek-Sands hosed her knee up real good. Took a while before they turned the cameras away from the court and muted the sound. drat that must be some intense pain.

Ugh, the screaming. I felt so bad for her. I had to mute it and put the closed captioning on to even decipher what she was screaming. Seeing, "Help me," scroll endlessly on the screen was awful.

Anyone with any medical knowledge here? What took them so long to get her off the court? I've seen too many football injuries to count and the only times I can remember them taking that long was when there were neck or spinal injuries. I might be wrong but I don't even think it took them that long to get Theisman off the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That was horrible. God.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/882994435457462274

• Locked thread