Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sydin posted:

At the very least you have hands down the best closer.

And tonight that was exactly and entirely what mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

dont be mean to me posted:

And tonight that was exactly and entirely what mattered.

So it seems :toot:

The Cubs may be bad but at least maybe the Dodgers can not gently caress up the post season this year and make my roommate happy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The girlfriend got me one of the Baez/Russell double bobble heads. My day is complete.

The Cubs will attempt to get back to .500 for the 100th time this season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

The girlfriend got me one of the Baez/Russell double bobble heads. My day is complete.

Ohhhh THAT'S why it's so crazy so early today.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

And will almost certainly fail because Lackey is pitching.

Come on Theo, you were willing to eat some salary and dump one veteran because he was ineffective and being kind of a shitter. How about we make it 2 for 2?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
#thatscubs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Lackey is poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

Come on Theo, you were willing to eat some salary and dump one veteran because he was ineffective and being kind of a shitter. How about we make it 2 for 2?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
weirdest 13 pitch inning ever

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I keep waiting for the Cubs to win 12 in a row and finally seize control of the NL Central.

The fact that they haven't yet is baffling to me. They are clearly the most talented team in that division.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

I keep waiting for the Cubs to win 12 in a row and finally seize control of the NL Central.

The fact that they haven't yet is baffling to me. They are clearly the most talented team in that division.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not but this has been the exact same line Chicago sports media has been repeating all season and reading your post just made my eye twitch.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I figured all of the Cubs fans would find joy in my post. ;)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
on a 3-0 count, mlurgh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

on a 3-0 count, mlurgh

I prefer it this way. The alternative was Happ walking to load the bases, and the Cubs promptly getting nothing out of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So you take first two pitches right down the middle, then swing at one a foot below and a foot above the zone. :sigh:

e. At least Javy still owns.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
What the gently caress is going on with Estrada . It was a 5-0 lead last time I looked

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Lackey's still bad, but at least they got him out trying to stretch it into a triple.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Great attempt to dance around the tag, but KB got him on his butt

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Estrada just blew a 5-0 lead in less than two innings . loving blue Jays

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs have two on with one out?

:thunk:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs strand so many runners it's stupid

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Stuck in a meeting, finally get out to check the score and now I wish I was back in that meeting.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
have there been any studies about team strand rates? Like looking at a proxy for a strand rate as something like 1 - ((H + HBP + BB - HR) / (R - HR)) the Cubs are 7th worst. is this something that should normalize? Is this just a different way of looking at cluster luck?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

have there been any studies about team strand rates? Like looking at a proxy for a strand rate as something like 1 - ((H + HBP + BB - HR) / (R - HR)) the Cubs are 7th worst. is this something that should normalize? Is this just a different way of looking at cluster luck?

Cubs hitters have been very bad with RISP. Like, really bad with RISP. Bryant in particular has been very bad:

Bryant with RISP: .200/.338/.418, 86 wRC+

Bryant in high leverage spots: .125/.313/.125, 18 wRC+

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So did gameday poo poo the bead or did Lackey really just throw a 43mph eephus pitch?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sigh...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They should really change their slogan from #ThatsCub to #Almost

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They should really change their slogan from #ThatsCub to #Almost

I can't count how many times this year I've heard Pat on the radio say "And the Cubs fail to score" at the end of an inning.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have watched this exact same game so many loving times this season it's uncanny. Giving up first inning runs, tons of stranded runners, aaaaalmost home runs that die at the wall, GIDP's, tons of walks that amount to nothing, a no-name scrub pitcher with terrible numbers absolutely clowning Cubs hitters. And it's every. drat. game.

All this game needs to be a perfect microcosm of #ThatsCub is for the bullpen to come in and throw four perfect innings that the Cubs completely fail to capitalize on.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
WHEEEE

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Time to lose a challenge

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maddon with the "gently caress it, idk let's just try to do something" challenge.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Bases loaded nobody out and Bautista strikes out without swinging the bat . Cool

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I like that Javy and Smith are chatting throughout it :3:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ahahaha Mallex shoving Javy away is maximum adorable

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:rolldice:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Dellin Betances just gave the Blue Jays a RBBI on four walks to go ahead 7-6 in the top of the 8th.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The difference in this game is that when the Rays get men on base against a bad pitcher, they capitalize. When the Cubs get men on base against a bad pitcher, they flail uselessly and strand them.

This is why the Rays are a good team this year and, conversely, the Cubs are a bad one.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Every inning:
    1. Get a runner or two on base
    2. Fly out to the warning track
    3. Strikeout
    4. Easy 3rd out without scoring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003