Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I say just let people resubmit their bids this one time. Maybe at a $5 penalty with a escalating tax on repeat offenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

I agree. They should get the people they bid the highest on until they can't afford the next. That's probably the fairest way to fix this problem.

In fact, this is probably how every day should work. If you only have like 15 points left and need to fill 5 slots it's going to be almost impossible to get anyone if you can't bid over 15 total points a day.

I back this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BWV posted:

I back this.

:same:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I really think this is the only way to do it.

It's actually worse than my original post, because if you have $15 left and 5 roster spots the most you can actually bid in one day is $11. It's going to be way too difficult to get anyone at all in that situation.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Also, while we're on the rules, what's going to happen with Durant? Will the GM with the winning bid be getting 15% of it back?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Haha I'm sorry I didn't mean to tear the league in half on the very first day

leftist heap posted:

I say just let people resubmit their bids this one time. Maybe at a $5 penalty with a escalating tax on repeat offenders.

I'd prefer to eat a $5 penalty because a different understanding of the rules dramatically affects how I'm willing to bid and what I think other people might have bid

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2017

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Paul Zuvella posted:

I agree. They should get the people they bid the highest on until they can't afford the next. That's probably the fairest way to fix this problem.

In fact, this is probably how every day should work. If you only have like 15 points left and need to fill 5 slots it's going to be almost impossible to get anyone if you can't bid over 15 total points a day.

Yeah I have to go with this too.

Although if there were any major changes/redos needed then today would be the day to do it since it's day 1 and there's only one or two all stars in the bunch.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

How much do I have to pay you off to accept my obvious re-bids, commissioner?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

homphgomph posted:

Yeah I have to go with this too.

Although if there were any major changes/redos needed then today would be the day to do it since it's day 1 and there's only one or two all stars in the bunch.

Don't tip people off that Joe Ingles is an All-Star talent genius

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BWV posted:

Also, while we're on the rules, what's going to happen with Durant? Will the GM with the winning bid be getting 15% of it back?

argh my strategy has been publicized! you snake!

I won't have time to submit until ~6ish so sorry if i hold everyone up but I WILL be doing it i'm not flaking. Just trying to get a new job and gotta make some phone calls. Anyone with a good job available can just hire me and speed the game up think about it it's a good deal

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don’t understand this game.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Oh yeah The B_36 and Daltos have traded franchises so Daltos is the Kings and The B_36 is the Hawks. That's a thing.

Oh, cool, I didn't hear back from Doltos, but I'm glad the commish approved the move!

Now to tell the 3 players I've definitely got from day 1 to not unpack their things, we're movin' to Hotlanta!

And whatever the thread decides to do with this current controversy (that I barely understand and don't think I'm involved in) I'm cool with, just as long as I don't have to re submit my bids today because I'm out of time.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Rick posted:

I don’t understand this game.

Just goons being goons.

xbilkis posted:

Don't tip people off that Joe Ingles is an All-Star talent genius

Drunk Canuck posted:

How much do I have to pay you off to accept my obvious re-bids, commissioner?

I actually still need bids from both of you. If you aren't bidding just write a PM saying no bids so I know. :D

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Anyway, okay I'll go with what Paul said for EvanTH today since that's what the group wants.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I really think this is the only way to do it.

It's actually worse than my original post, because if you have $15 left and 5 roster spots the most you can actually bid in one day is $11. It's going to be way too difficult to get anyone at all in that situation.

However, this is not going to happen. Much like a real team you're not going to be 15 deep and probably have a few players that are $1 or $2 dollars at most. If you have 5 spots to fill with $15 left, the max you can spend on one player is 11, but you can split 15 among 5 players. So it IS a decision. With your way, theoretically, somebody would be able to keep bidding on every player with an unknown max until they're the highest somewhere, right? Or am I reading that wrong? I just don't think anybody should be "guaranteed" a player before the last two days.

Also this way makes it way easier for me. I'm not asking for much from you guys besides cap management and lists each day, so I'd prefer to keep it the way it is.

The final 2 days (19-20) is when all the unbid players will be listed, so we can go on a claim/waivers sort of thing with money leftover. Whether you come into that day with $15 or $1, you just spread it around however and finish your roster on a first come first serve basis. I mean realistically we'd be debating about the addition of (mostly) scrubs/rookies/end of bench players so we can readdress it when the end of the 18th day happens.

(Also I think having to fill 5 spots at that point is a generous amount, but who knows how you guys will spend!)

Anyway I'd prefer not to discuss this anymore in thread, PM me if there is a huge issue or something that I'm missing but otherwise let's just try to have fun and keep it simple with the rules already in place to avoid confusion.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'll be back in around 2 hours from now. If I still need lists from people I will message them, then you'll get your reveals a little soon after!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 5, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Paul's point (which I agree with) is let's say you have $60 left in cap room and have three roster spots left.

You could bid like this

A - $40
B - $35
C - $25
D - $15
E - $10
F - $2
G - $1

This adds up to $116, more than your remaining cap room. You have also bid for more players than you have roster spots left.

If you win all the bids for the above players (unlikely) then you go down the list from highest bid to lowest. You get player A for $40 ($20 cap left), don't get B, don't get C, get D for $15 ($5 left), don't get E and get F.

If however another player bids $50 for player A, then you end up winning B (35), C (25) and E (10), missing out on D (15) because you didn't have the cap room.

Another example - let's say nearer the end an MVP caliber player turns up and every player wants to bid on them, but there are also several interesting solid starters or rotation players in the same list. Your options under the proposed rules are either a) bid all your remaining available cap for the Star but forfeit your chance to go after the other players or b) go after the other players but forfeit your chance at the star. Whereas if you have the more flexible rules and you can make bids that total over your cap amount, you could go for both and if you get the star you get him, but if you don't you could still be highest bid and win some of the lesser players. This also rewards players who manage their cap better, as increased flexibility increases the utility of spare cap space towards the end of the game. Also (if you care) it better reflects the real world of NBA negotiations, because GMs don't just talk with and offers to one or two free agents they can fit under their cap at one time, they make offers to many players simultaneously, even though they wouldn't be allowed to sign all of them.

Oops sorry, just read you saying don't bring it up in the thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol commissioner bullied into major mid season rule change by goons who couldn't figure out rules

Every fantasy league ever

(Not complaining just loling)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

For some weirdass reason my PMs are not working right now so I am going to send you an email. I will make sure you know it's me.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

lol commissioner bullied into major mid season rule change by goons who couldn't figure out rules

Relax

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
:wth:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
@tanglewood1420 - That makes a lot of sense, but I also like people having to make vital decisions on when they'll bid and who they'll bid on, like making the decision to either go big for a star or ignore him completely and drop that on a few roleplayers until another day comes along. It would also give me quite a bit more work to do (rather than just comparing everybody and seeing who bids the most). If we ever run another one we can definitely do that, not saying it doesn't make more sense, just rather it be the way it's set up currently instead of changing everything.

euphronius posted:

our first rivalry is born

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you have 100 left and lebron and Durant are in the pool , you should have to choose which one to put a winning bid on rather than bid 100 for one and 99 for the other . Imho. But whatever. The new way works too.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Tldr: Nothing is changing, EvanTH gets hit with the hammer today but is still a Good Boy.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Deadbeat Dad posted:

our first rivalry is born

Hell, why not!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Deadbeat Dad is more Stern than Silver and I like it

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

BWV posted:

Deadbeat Dad is more Stern than Silver and I like it

My earlobes are touching the ground as we speak

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I missed some posts then. Cool 👍

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Tldr: Nothing is changing, EvanTH gets hit with the hammer today but is still a Good Boy.

it means I'm going to overpay for a bunch of dudes and negate a lot of my involvement in the rest of the game. I hope ur all happy winning through lawyering of the rules rather than any superior basketball expertise >:[

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
This may have already been addressed but can I receive temporarily more than 15 players via a mid auction trade (say a 2 for 1) and waive a player received /on my roster to make it work?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'll give someone a million dollars to remove the doors from DeAndre Jordan's house.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Brogeoisie posted:

This may have already been addressed but can I receive temporarily more than 15 players via a mid auction trade (say a 2 for 1) and waive a player received /on my roster to make it work?

If it so happens that you already have a full roster, sure. People can also waive players before the last few days and they will be re-entered back into the pool during the final two days.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm very glad that no players that I'm in love with are on today's list because today is basically an exercise in guessing if people in this group are going to overbid or underbid. And also what constitutes an overbid or an underbid.

on the bright side I'd never heard of Bottom 5 NBA Player Patricio Garino so I'm learning things today.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Deadbeat Dad posted:

@tanglewood1420 - That makes a lot of sense, but I also like people having to make vital decisions on when they'll bid and who they'll bid on, like making the decision to either go big for a star or ignore him completely and drop that on a few roleplayers until another day comes along. It would also give me quite a bit more work to do (rather than just comparing everybody and seeing who bids the most). If we ever run another one we can definitely do that, not saying it doesn't make more sense, just rather it be the way it's set up currently instead of changing everything.

That's fair. Thanks for running this for all us NBA autists, much appreciated.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Even though I prefer one rule over the other I just wanted clarity on which one we were using so thanks deadbeat dad

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like basketball
I hope I get some basketball players
For my basketball team

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i hope nobody takes my man Joebediah INgles

so i can bid on him in the bonus rounds

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Only waiting on the Magic and the Warriors lists. I think Deimos said he'd be around soon and yet to hear from Akbar.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Bidding is open as soon as the new list of players is put up and will remain open until 9 PM EST.

*slams fist* they had their chance time has expired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
DeimosRising and Akbar you will need to send a list the next day or there is a possibility of replacement. Missing a day is fine since there's still a bunch of days left, just want there to be the same competitive advantage. I know Deimos was busy today so that might be why, Akbar I still need to hear from.

Anyway, onto the results!

The Dallas Mavericks (Drunk Canuck) draft Thomas Bryant for $2.

• Locked thread