Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I used to be with QR/Aurizon before they pretty much gutted themselves.

Also in that article they mention the double line blocking signaling is the last in the country in operation. I'm not sure for today but maybe 3 years ago Gladstone in Central Queensland still had one operational system.

What is your definition of 'most important' on the lines? We had a public face policy saying 2 legs, 4 legs, no legs (People, livestock, freight) but it was totally the opposite - gotta roll that coal!

My definition is probably different from the actual industry here but to me its passenger, grain trains, everything else.

After the the qr gutting we ended up with a pile of queenslanders turn up. The private group from up there got thw contract to run the freight trains out of the grainfields in northwest victoria. They qhere bitching last year that they where losing money and didnt want to run them. They then proceeded to get bollocksed for not adhering to contract and loving with food security for the state. It was pretty great. The unofficial line was "sack management levels until youre solvent then"

Fuckface the Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

The unofficial line was "sack management levels until youre solvent then"

But if you don't have 5 levels of management how's the sole field employee going to know what to do?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Obsolete, but still absolutely amazing:

The CM-1 Connection Machine supercomputer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmostrFetg

The CM-5 Connection Machine supercomputer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blvC0DA96dI

They're so... blinky...
I love those old promotion videos.

I recall I posted about the CMs way back in the thread, and the architecture of the machines was at least as funky as the exterior.

quote:

Connection Machines were built around extreme multiprocessing. The CM-2 consisted of up to 65,536 single-bit processors, each with 4kbit of dedicated RAM. Additionally there was a floating point coprocessor per 32 processors.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Collateral Damage posted:

I recall I posted about the CMs way back in the thread, and the architecture of the machines was at least as funky as the exterior.

So... look forward to Skyrim on the CM, next E3 :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The connection machine though. Sexiest computer ever.

Also awesome because they got Richard Feynman to help them with the design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CKW4A6jnJA

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
How about some 3D graphics from a product called Wavefront?

https://youtu.be/dolXi-3BcuA

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

HotCanadianChick posted:

There was one consumer PC with a blinkenlights chassis, the BeBox, a computer sold by Be Inc. for use with their OS, BeOS:

The two LED strips on either side of the lower front panel would light up from bottom to top to indicate the amount of CPU usage of each of the two PowerPC processors it came with.

Both the computer and it's OS are prime examples of old hardware with fantastic design. I still mourn for the market failure of BeOS, as it is still to this day one of the best designed GUIs of any OS, and was extremely tightly coded - to the point where the time it took from a fresh install to booting to the desktop for the first time took less than a minute on late 90's hardware (well before SSDs were a thing). You could shutdown and reboot in seconds, and it was highly optimized for video and audio work.

(yes, I'm aware of the open-source Haiku project to remake BeOS)
I was never a fan of BeOS, but part of that was that it was part of a wave of hobbyist OSes in the early '90s. Basically MINIX (and Tanenbaum's book) was in the late '80s and it was a template for the whole build-your-own-OS thing which in short order produced BeOS, GNU Hurd and Linux, just to name ones that aren't so obscure nobody here would have heard of 'em (like 386BSD, the common ancestor of NetBSD and FreeBSD).

Anyway, if we're talking about our favourite desktop cases from the early '90s, mine has to be the SGI Indigo:

It's difficult to see there, but there are two buttons (or tabs or whatever the gently caress you want to call them) right at the top of the front fascia:

Depress both of them with your thumbs and the front fascia swings down and away, revealing the case's component cage:

The big round thing is the speaker, and below it (next to the caution sign) is the power switch (you can toggle it without opening the case by opening the door on the front fascia). The (SCSI) drive bays have a tape drive and two hard drives, all on tool-free drive sleds. On the lefthand side of the cage is that big panel. At the top of the panel is a dzus fastener---one of those things that locks with a quarter turn. Unlock it and:

The panel swings down, giving you access to the processor and graphics cards. Without getting into all of the technical horseshit it's not technically a backplane setup, but it's basically a backplane setup. At the back of the chasis is a boring bus card that is screwed into the case, but all of the other working parts can be pulled out and socketed back in without any tools---drives, memory, motherboard (not technically a motherboard in this case), graphics card.

For environments where you don't want your users to be able to strip your workstations down to the chassis in no time flat, there's a bar lock you can use that runs through the cage and can be locked, preventing what I've just illustrated. You can see the back end of the slot for the bar on the back---it's the horizontal slot under the power connectors. Note that the power supply has a plug and a receptacle---so you can plug your monitor into the workstation's power supply, allowing you to turn both of them on and off together.

It's still a pretty good design even after 25 intervening years of case design.

Three-Phase posted:

How about some 3D graphics from a product called Wavefront?

https://youtu.be/dolXi-3BcuA
Wavefront wasn't just some product. Until the mid-'90s it was the product. Wavefront was for CG what the Video Toaster was for editing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That plug in plug out thing is it pass though or does it contain the largest power supply known to man?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pass through was how all the models I've ever seen with that feature did it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kwyndig posted:

Pass through was how all the models I've ever seen with that feature did it.

I think Macs of the same time did the same thing. That is a hell of a sexy computer interior, though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, both plugs are wired to the PSU switch but the plug for the monitor gets power from the wall, not the power supply. I just pulled the power supply and opened it up to get some photos but you can't really see the wiring of the plugs without more disassembly that I want to do right now. But I will comment that it's nice that you only need to unscrew a single philips screw to pull the power supply (you can see it to the upper right of the PSU fan in the image of the back). The power supply, like the other major components, slides in and out and sockets into the pseudo-backplane without any cabling or additional fasteners.

Anyway, in addition to the theoretical convenience of being able to control two devices at one switch there's the big win of being able to put a workstation in a cube/office/whatever without having to use more than one outlet. Nowdays everything goes into a power strip or (more likely for something as expensive as an Indigo was back in the day) a UPS, but in 1991 we hadn't quite reached the point where every person in every job would be expected to have a computer at their desk and so worrying about the cabling situation is definitely good engineering.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I kinda miss plug in plug out PSUs. Of course back then a computer with multiple monitors was a crazy fever dream.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I kinda miss plug in plug out PSUs. Of course back then a computer with multiple monitors was a crazy fever dream.

Come to think of it, It's been at least a couple years since I've seen any monitor that used IECs. I install 70 inchers at my job pretty regularly and even those just use the little two prong infinity sign thingies like my old boombox.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah, but running the whole system off one wall plug was pretty great. Also full height scsi drives :getin:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

There wasn't any graphics option for the Indigos that allowed it, but the SGI Onyx---the `It's a Unix system. I know this' workstation, which sits alongside a shitload of Thinking Machines CM-5s in the Jurassic Park control room in 1993---could output to multiple monitors with the right graphics options.

SGI used to tour a tractor trailer called the Magic Bus that had a 5 (or was it 7? I don't remember) monitor surround setup for their flight sim demo running on an Onyx. Back around 1994 or so seeing panoramic real-time 3d texture mapping was off the loving hook.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My high school had a bunch of SGI and Sun machines and hosed if me or any of my friends ever figured out what the gently caress any of them were for :iiam:

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I miss psus with passthrough.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

I miss psus with passthrough.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think the concept of modular PSUs is awesome but have never gotten around to actually getting one. The inside of my tower is so drat cluttered with cables :(

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Man, so do I. Maybe not that old, but a mid-'80s Japanese compact would scratch a certain itch. But yikes. I had a 1989 Civic Si that was an absolute blast to drive, but no airbags or anything. Hell, I had an '85 Toyota Van that I get nostalgic for that I know would be a death sentence just on the antiquated cab-forward design alone. I'd love to get my hands on a CR-X or an MR2 but I know it's a terrible idea.

Stop making me miss my sadly deceased CR-X, the Red Rollerskate.

(The timing chain snapped while my ex-wife was driving it, which set off a cascade of failures that cost more to fix than I could afford. :sigh:)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Typewriter chat and plotter chat come together in a little device I had in the 1980s, the Brother BP-30 graphing typewriter!

This was an electric typewriter, obviously, but the way it worked means it was technically a plotter. You see, rather than conventional type arms / type ball / daisy wheel / dot-matrix print head, it had four tiny ballpoint pens in different colors, with which it would draw each letter by moving the pen back and forth and moving the paper up and down with the roller. Yes, really.

The main reason for this unusual design was so that it could draw perfectly clean graphs. You could input a limited set of data, pick what graph style you wanted, and hit go, and you'd get stuff like this:

I turned in many a school report with those graphs on them.

Images all found here. The same guy made some videos of the thing in action. Here's a closeup of the pen and roller working together to make letters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zpdux9LKJY

A really neat little device.

Heh. I remember arguing with a couple of my teachers in high school that wouldn't accept chart/graph printouts from ApplePlot since they didn't believe they would be correct.

I also remember, 40 some years ago, a guy that worked for HP let me play a space game that used the plotter for output. One ship on either side with random planets. You would enter an angle and shot power and it would calculate the ballistics and draw out the shot. The suspense was amazing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

I also remember, 40 some years ago, a guy that worked for HP let me play a space game that used the plotter for output. One ship on either side with random planets. You would enter an angle and shot power and it would calculate the ballistics and draw out the shot. The suspense was amazing.
Honestly that sounds cool even today.
Needs to be a loud clunky dot matrix.
Make it real time. You can fire before it finishes printing but you don't have any data to work on until it prints.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Collateral Damage posted:

This sounds like a precursor to the GPGPU computing model - many lightweight threads doing work in parallel. Except for the 1-bit part.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Croccers posted:

Honestly that sounds cool even today.
Needs to be a loud clunky dot matrix.
Make it real time. You can fire before it finishes printing but you don't have any data to work on until it prints.
Oh god no, it has to be a plotter. Watching it sketch a little landscape and drag out these huge smooth arcs was the whole point.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

SubG posted:

SGI used to tour a tractor trailer called the Magic Bus that had a 5 (or was it 7? I don't remember) monitor surround setup for their flight sim demo running on an Onyx. Back around 1994 or so seeing panoramic real-time 3d texture mapping was off the loving hook.

That bus came through the Microsoft campus when I was working there in 1993 or 1994 - around Jurassic Park time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxO6gV7mvQ

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

(yes, I'm aware of the open-source Haiku project to remake BeOS)

Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen.

Not that long ago, posted either in this thread or the Tech Relics thread, there was a video demonstrating BeOS. I scoffed at first but looking at it, I really wish I could have used BeOS when I was in art school nearly 20 years ago, it seemed like a much better solution for computer generated imaging than the Windows 98 machines we were using at the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Not that long ago, posted either in this thread or the Tech Relics thread, there was a video demonstrating BeOS. I scoffed at first but looking at it, I really wish I could have used BeOS when I was in art school nearly 20 years ago, it seemed like a much better solution for computer generated imaging than the Windows 98 machines we were using at the time.

I've used Beos exactly once in my life and it was very much "oh this is speedy oh there's no software oh well".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isn't Free DOS like the only free clone of a commercial microcomputer operating system to ever actually happen?

e: Immediately after pressing submit I realised there's probably a free CP/M clone but who gives a poo poo.

ee: Oh CP/M itself is free nowadays. That's cool.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Jul 9, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this is the most zen Youtube video I have ever seen in my life omg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Titus Sardonicus posted:

That article reminded me that Be Inc. was bought out by Palm which is like the most ignominious death for a tech company I can possibly imagine :(

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Titus Sardonicus posted:

It's still not great, but it's much more alive than Ars suggested. https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/pulkomandy/2017-07-03_haiku_monthly_activity_report_june_2017/

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Kelp Me! posted:

I have that song stuck in my head now.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've used Beos exactly once in my life and it was very much "oh this is speedy oh there's no software oh well".

Was there any 3D modeling software that could run on it? I've tried to do poo poo with 3dsmax back in 2000 that murdered the workstations on campus, let alone on my own machine, so frustrating. And rendering raytraced scenes? Forget it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I ran it back in the day(2000-ish) on a spare box - version 4 or 4.5, can't remember, and there wasn't much of anything available for it except little open-source programs and what came with it. Like, OS/2 Warp had more software available at the time.

It was lightning fast and could play a bunch of media at the same time, but the supported hardware list and software availability was pretty grim.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Was there any 3D modeling software that could run on it? I've tried to do poo poo with 3dsmax back in 2000 that murdered the workstations on campus, let alone on my own machine, so frustrating. And rendering raytraced scenes? Forget it.

I had a friend who ran Blender 2.11 on BeOS. I think that was before Blender was free - but I'm not positive. But it was way less expensive than 3dsmax - and none of the school computers we had access to could run a render without crashing. Also: 3DSmax parallel port dongle!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Isn't Free DOS like the only free clone of a commercial microcomputer operating system to ever actually happen?

Linux :smug:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

"Actually happen" was a criterion there.

e: So was "free", unless you consider your time valueless in which case you become correct.

Exit Strategy has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Jul 10, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: Immediately after pressing submit I realised there's probably a free CP/M clone but who gives a poo poo.

ee: Oh CP/M itself is free nowadays. That's cool.
Depending on how you're defining things there's OpenVMS, OpenSolaris, RISC OS Open, and other commercial OSes that got free-ish releases after the end of their effective commercial lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

"Actually happen" was a criterion there.

e: So was "free", unless you consider your time valueless in which case you become correct.

Are you confusing it with GNU Hurd?
You are also moving the goalpost into the wrong direction if you are arguing that the time to set it up makes it not free.