Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Solaron posted:

I will say that once I had my Acclaim badge for CISSP posted on LinkedIn, my recruiter contact requests shot through the roof.

I literally just spent 30 minutes setting this up because of your comment heh. Not that I'm looking atm. I wonder if they have one for the OSCP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

big money big clit posted:

I'd put it roughly in line with a VCP as far as difficulty and breadth of material. There's quite a lot that you're expected to be passingly familiar with, but only a handful of topics that are covered in depth. VPC, EC2, EBS, S3, auto-scaling and load balancing, and cloudwatch are the big ones that have multiple questions asked about them. It's not too difficult, I used the Sybex study guide for about 90% of my preparation and passed on the first try, though it wasn't a slam dunk.

Realistically those are the ones I would pick as they're the flagship AWS products. Some of their secondary stuff is either kinda janky or has a much better competitor (Sendgrid for mail being the big example for us and their Elasticsearch implementation is kneecapped from talking to our Elasticsearch guys).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ganson posted:

I literally just spent 30 minutes setting this up because of your comment heh. Not that I'm looking atm. I wonder if they have one for the OSCP?
Nope. I think it''s mostly certifications that run through Pearson Vue but I just searched Acclaim for CEH and they dont have that either.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nope. I think it''s mostly certifications that run through Pearson Vue but I just searched Acclaim for CEH and they dont have that either.

They probably have one for the CISA which is on my list. I figure if you're looking for OSCP you know what you're on about so not a big deal.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Ganson posted:

They probably have one for the CISA which is on my list. I figure if you're looking for OSCP you know what you're on about so not a big deal.

OSCP is on my list, but I want to get better with Python first. I do see a lot of positions wanting CISM or CISA.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I just paid for 90-day OSCP lab but I have a 6 week wait before I can get materials and begin. Going to spend the next month or so playing around in Hack The Box.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I just paid for 90-day OSCP lab but I have a 6 week wait before I can get materials and begin. Going to spend the next month or so playing around in Hack The Box.

What level of experience do you have w/Kali and the material? If you don't mind me asking.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Solaron posted:

What level of experience do you have w/Kali and the material? If you don't mind me asking.
Going Without Knowing

I'm comfortable working with Kali but no production penetration testing outside of lab environments or VulnHub/DVWA. I think I'm reasonably proficient with PowerShell and Python scripting which probably means I'm terrible. I also ran through the Georgia Weidman book and tried to follow this PWK Prep pretty closely for the past month or two. https://tulpa-security.com/2016/09/19/prep-guide-for-offsecs-pwk/

I'm counting on the course materials and lab to teach me this poo poo since PWK is supposed to be a course first and foremost. If fall on my face and have to extend that's cool too. Also, this post was a bit of nudge to just reg.

wyoak posted:

Weidman's book was definitely a good resource to have ahead of time, and that prep guide outline looks solid. However, I'd say if you've got the budget for the 60 or 90 days of lab time (and you're comfortable scripting and with the concepts, if not the minutiae, of what you've seen in the guide) don't be afraid to jump in to the course - having the labs as a sandbox is the most valuable thing and you'll learn pretty quick once you get into them, and it looks like that guide would play along nicely side-by-side with the course material as well. If you can only do 30 days of lab time you might want to spend more time prepping, but I'd just spring for the extra lab time instead.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Passed CCNA Security. 860 out of motherfucking 860. Sim was pretty easy, no hiccups, but some of those obscure questions were dogshit. This was reflected in the score report showing a 63% in 'security concepts'.

If you're going to take this test I can't recommend the Boson practice tests enough, definitely would have failed without them.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Nice work, can't get any closer than that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I like to think I studied precisely the correct amount, 0 wasted energy.

(In reality I nearly poo poo my pants when I saw the score)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I like to think I studied precisely the correct amount, 0 wasted energy.

(In reality I nearly poo poo my pants when I saw the score)

Congrats! What's the next thing you'll be aiming for?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
2 more classes to finish up WGU, then I'm taking a massive loving break from studying. I've been studying for certs since just before I started my career (almost 4 years, 8 certs) and need to be done for a while. Once I get supremely bored at work I'll re-evaluate, but probably CCNP R&S because networking is my poo poo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

2 more classes to finish up WGU, then I'm taking a massive loving break from studying. I've been studying for certs since just before I started my career (almost 4 years, 8 certs) and need to be done for a while. Once I get supremely bored at work I'll re-evaluate, but probably CCNP R&S because networking is my poo poo.

Are you doing IT Sec at WGU?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yep, IT Security. I've got the whole WGU suite of certs now.

A+ N+ S+ Linux+ (lpic-1) project+ CIW CCNA R&S CCNA Security.

I went into the program with an associates, N+ and CCNA R&S. It's been 14 months so far, will finish in this 3rd semester.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yep, IT Security. I've got the whole WGU suite of certs now.

A+ N+ S+ Linux+ (lpic-1) project+ CIW CCNA R&S CCNA Security.

I went into the program with an associates, N+ and CCNA R&S. It's been 14 months so far, will finish in this 3rd semester.

What do you think of the program overall? I'm looking into it because gently caress working helpdesk forever.

Anyone else, your opinion is welcome too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Got my N+, landed a helpdesk job at an MSP. Got my CCNA R&S, landed a 40% higher pay systems admin job. Started the WGU program and halfway through landed a 50% higher pay IT Manager job. No idea what comes next, but it's helped sustain a meteoric trajectory after starting my career 5 years late.

The pace is awesome, most classes I was able to study at night or in small increments at work and pass within a week or two. WGU uses UCertify for all of it's courses now and for the internal courses (where the test was written by WGU faculty) it's spot on exactly what you need to know. The projects for databases and java were pretty cool too, gets a hands on feel which I wasn't expecting from an online college. The UCertify courses for certifications were lacking in a pretty major way in that they didn't exactly prepare you for what would be on the cert exam. There are other learning services they link to that are really big helps though, so they don't leave you in a lurch.

I even switched jobs halfway through the program and, while it slowed me down, it didn't disqualify or penalize me for taking a few months where I focused on something other than WGU classes. That kind of flexibility is the only way I would ever finish a bachelors degree while already working in IT.

Overall for $9,000 (your results may vary if you don't have an associates or need to take an extra semester or two) the level of education is excellent. The job prospects are phenomenal too because I've got a fat stack of certs on top of my bachelors that make HR departments go all googly-eyed.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What is CCNA Security like, Im thinking about it a bit because I have been head hunted a few times and they all ask if I have any security knowledge (outside of my recently expired S+) I have CCNAs in R&S and Data Center, and studying CCNP SWITCH right now.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The worst part of cisco certs is the having to work on cisco devices part

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MrBigglesworth posted:

What is CCNA Security like, Im thinking about it a bit because I have been head hunted a few times and they all ask if I have any security knowledge (outside of my recently expired S+) I have CCNAs in R&S and Data Center, and studying CCNP SWITCH right now.

It's very feature-heavy. "What can this service do?" "What's the proper implementation of which product to solve this issue?" And the technical side is full of useless trivia like "which devices need certificates for EAP-FASTv2 and how does it differ from EAP-TLS"?

There's a good 50% that's actually useful like IPS policies, 802.1x, VPN policies and ASDM configurations. Overall I think it's worth it if you're working with Cisco equipment because defense in depth should touch every device.

rafikki posted:

The worst part of cisco certs is the having to work on cisco devices part

This is a bad opinion and you should feel bad.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The feature set questions are bringing me flashbacks of the Data Center cert.

And wtf "The worst part of cisco certs is the having to work on cisco devices part"

Uh...yeah...that's like...the point. Why would Cisco cert really be for non Cisco devices...wtf ? :wtc:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I like working with cisco devices

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"wah wah i don't like the gold standard because i'm a special snowflake look at this sweet web gui i've got it's so superior and I don't have to learn important networking fundamentals to use it"

I also really like working with cisco devices.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It was an unfunny joke, yes, but you have no idea the quantity of bugs (actual bugs, documented by Cisco, not failures of configuration) we run into on a weekly basis.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"wah wah i don't like the gold standard because i'm a special snowflake look at this sweet web gui i've got it's so superior and I don't have to learn important networking fundamentals to use it"

I also really like working with cisco devices.

I know plenty of serious networking people who prefer Juniper for route/switch and it's got nothing to do with a GUI. And Cisco security appliances are just loving terrible relative to say, Palo Alto, from a management perspective.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Haven't dealt with juniper devices from a management side, though one of our clients deploys them for 4G backup at 2000+ locations so they can't be too bad.

I like cisco routers/switches, I haven't touched any of their security appliances except old ASAs and I do not like those, I'd rather drop a fortigate in to deal with firewall.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
As an aside, any of you get studying so much that you get tunnel vision and actually lose a concept that you previously had knowledge of?

For me it was this weekend. Thinking of a simple network. Some hosts, a switch, a couple of VLANs and a router. I know you could do 1 VLAN on 1 interface, but then you run out of interfaces fast on a router, so then you can just do router on a stick and sub interfaces and trunk up your VLANS to each sub int, but then you could overload that interface pretty fast if you get too much traffic. That was it, my mind completely blanked out the concept of a multi layer switch using VLAN interfaces so you could send traffic from multiple VLANs up a single link to the router in question.

I had to dig up Packet Tracer and lab it out to jar my noggin into remembering this again. I dont know why or how I got on the concept of it but my mind just completely dropped what a MLS was used for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MrBigglesworth posted:

As an aside, any of you get studying so much that you get tunnel vision and actually lose a concept that you previously had knowledge of?

For me it was this weekend. Thinking of a simple network. Some hosts, a switch, a couple of VLANs and a router. I know you could do 1 VLAN on 1 interface, but then you run out of interfaces fast on a router, so then you can just do router on a stick and sub interfaces and trunk up your VLANS to each sub int, but then you could overload that interface pretty fast if you get too much traffic. That was it, my mind completely blanked out the concept of a multi layer switch using VLAN interfaces so you could send traffic from multiple VLANs up a single link to the router in question.

I had to dig up Packet Tracer and lab it out to jar my noggin into remembering this again. I dont know why or how I got on the concept of it but my mind just completely dropped what a MLS was used for.

Hell this happens in my daily work, sometimes I jump from 0 to 60 and assume complex problems when really it's something dumb like a checkbox is checked/unchecked. I feel these are good experiences, it allows you to think back and create a mental checklist for different scenarios, and then you run through that checklist when you need.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'd put it roughly in line with a VCP as far as difficulty and breadth of material. There's quite a lot that you're expected to be passingly familiar with, but only a handful of topics that are covered in depth. VPC, EC2, EBS, S3, auto-scaling and load balancing, and cloudwatch are the big ones that have multiple questions asked about them. It's not too difficult, I used the Sybex study guide for about 90% of my preparation and passed on the first try, though it wasn't a slam dunk.

Does somebody need to have some meaningful work experience with AWS to get certified, or can I get the cert with enough studying / toying around with the free stuff Amazon provides?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kimcicle posted:

Does somebody need to have some meaningful work experience with AWS to get certified, or can I get the cert with enough studying / toying around with the free stuff Amazon provides?

You can certainly pass it without any work experience just by studying and labbing things out, though you'll need to spend a little money to try everything because it isn't free tier eligible. But if you're diligent about cleaning up after yourself it's not too expensive, maybe 10 bucks a month at most.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

You can certainly pass it without any work experience just by studying and labbing things out, though you'll need to spend a little money to try everything because it isn't free tier eligible. But if you're diligent about cleaning up after yourself it's not too expensive, maybe 10 bucks a month at most.

Awesome, I've been toying with the idea of getting AWS certified but don't want to drop the $2k that some online classes are charging for the cert prep.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

It was an unfunny joke, yes, but you have no idea the quantity of bugs (actual bugs, documented by Cisco, not failures of configuration) we run into on a weekly basis.

There's that old saying that no one ever got fired for buying Cisco.

Then again I only know switches. Back in the early days of DSL the ISP I worked for had Ciscos access servers that were horrible pieces of poo poo.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's that old saying that no one ever got fired for buying Cisco.

People are definitely getting fired nowadays for buying Firepower, and ISE to a lesser extent

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Starting a server 2012 boot camp today, 9 days 👍🏾

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Ugh, failed the ICND2 200-101 last year, waited for the test to update, then just failed 200-105 today.

Not sure why it's not sticking. I've been studying consistently for almost six months with a bunch of different materials.

Guess I'll take another month to review everything again and give it another shot.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

What sections are giving you trouble?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

rafikki posted:

What sections are giving you trouble?
My final score says that I did poorest on LAN stuff (which I thought I had down) and "Infrastructure Services."

I'm gonna keep taking the practice tests that came with the Odom book and revisit those sections in my books / online course.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

70-410 passed

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vintimus Prime posted:

70-410 passed

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Got through the 70-411, barely but a pass is a pass 👍🏾