Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
We have the Base Camp 4 for car camping, it's just nice to have the extra space.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The Long Trail north of the AT would be good for that, but be warned you're likely gonna be really, really slow if you're only used to the midwest.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Electoral Surgery posted:

Seattle goons, recommend me a hike. I'm going to hike Half Dome with some friends at the end of August: 16 miles, 4800 feet of elevation gain, and too much time in the sun. My girlfriend and I did Si and Mailbox this weekend without too much trouble, what day hikes would you recommend to build up to the Half Dome stats? We climb regularly so I'm not worried about dealing with the chains section.

You could day hike the enchantments. 18 miles and 4500 feet of elevation gain. You get to see them without having to worry about those pesky hard to come by overnight permits. Its a brutal hike though and that would be a completely full day.

I just hiked Mt Dickerman which was 8 miles and 4k gain with one of the best summit payoffs I've had in Washington.

lavaca posted:

Crater Mountain has something like 5,000 feet of elevation gain in 14 miles.

I did crater mountain as part of a Pasayten backpacking trip a few years ago and its a grinding climb, especially for a day hike. This is the eastern edge of NCNP and start of Pasayten wilderness which gets SIGNIFICANTLY less traffic. We saw 3-5 people the entire week we spent out there. One solo guy and two pairs and they were all doing the Devils Dome loop. You are in switchbacks for the majority of this hike (the first 3.5 miles I think) until you get up to the lake. The turnoff trail was really overgrown and difficult to find even in the daytime. It doesn't appear to get much traffic on a normal basis so finding it in the dark might be nearly impossible.

The climb up crater mountain itself is pretty sketchy. Originally it was only a class 2-3 scramble but I think over the years its gotten more difficult as the rockfall and exposure is a major factor. The climbers trail spray paint markers have all vanished, there are no cairns and the rock is really loose and dusty with an instant death fall to your back (west). The west side of the mountain is the most difficult and dangerous section. I like taking manageable, calculated risks like scrambling but I was sketched out and felt like we were about to get in over our heads and might have a more difficult time getting back down. I can only imagine its gotten worse in the years since then. We were all bummed that we didn't make it but that was the most scared I've ever been on a scramble. We tried our very best and decided to call it quits as we were staring straight up a chute of loose rock/scree/talus in the last section up to the summit. You couldn't get a firm hold on anything and large rocks fell any time you tried taking a step. The worst part is that if you started to slide, it was too steep to stop, and the slide would carry you right off the edge. We may have gone the wrong way so your experience may vary.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Verman posted:

I just hiked Mt Dickerman which was 8 miles and 4k gain with one of the best summit payoffs I've had in Washington.

Totally different experience on Dickerman last month for me:

In other news, knocked another item off my bucket list over the holiday weekend:

Solo ascent of Mt. Adams, second highest point in Washington State, 12,276 feet.

Totally ready for Rainier, but Baker is next!

Mt. St. Helens, 8,366'
Glacier Peak, 10,541'
Mt. Adams, 12,276'
Mt Baker, 10,781'
Mt. Rainier, 14,411'

List should be complete this summer.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 5, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Thinking about getting a new tent. For occasional casual camping, usually car based, for two people in the northeast, what are the best price to quality tents?

Currently looking at REI as well as some of the stuff posted recently from tarp tents and others.

For car camping I would look for a roomy tent on sale. 3-4 persons, rain fly, windows, and always set it up on a ground tarp. I bought an older mountain hardware and its been the bomb, but its no more useful in a car than the Kelty work gave me as an anniversary prize.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I camped with the in-laws during a tropical storm (didn't do the planning, was just along for the ride) where it rained for like 3 days straight. That was the last time I used a car camping tent that I couldn't stand up in.

If you have 2 people, just get a 6 man. You're generally not worried about weight or packing space, might as well get something that doesn't suck to spend time in.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Stole my microspikes and msr gaiters. Ninja.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Totally different experience on Dickerman last month for me:

In other news, knocked another item off my bucket list over the holiday weekend:

Solo ascent of Mt. Adams, second highest point in Washington State, 12,276 feet.

Totally ready for Rainier, but Baker is next!

Mt. St. Helens, 8,366'
Glacier Peak, 10,541'
Mt. Adams, 12,276'
Mt Baker, 10,781'
Mt. Rainier, 14,411'

List should be complete this summer.

Wow, that sucks. The view up there is incredible and that would be a pretty grueling hike with that much snow and no payoff.

Nice list though, I'm trying to knock a few of those off but won't likely get around to them until next year.
We're doing adams next month which I'm excited for but had to postpone Mt Olympus until next year due to my hiking buddy's schedule and my lack of PTO this year.

Next year is going to get pretty insane for me.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Why not the Kingdom 6? I am just asking cause I've debating between the 2 for a new 6 person tent.

The kingdom 6 honestly just felt way too massive. While I like having a lot of space inside my tent, the Kingdom felt like overkill. Also camping here in Colorado, I kind of liked that the basecamp felt a bit more rain/wind/hail resistant.

Both seemed like great tents for the money. It just came down to personal preference.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 6, 2017

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It was about 90 degrees at Mt. Laguna yesterday and my wife isn't used to hiking in that heat so we did a shorter hike to Garnet Peak instead of the Big Laguna Trail. At the top of the peak we were able to look out towards the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Sometime in November or December I'm looking to do an overnight hike to Rabbit Peak out in Anza-Borrego so hiking up in our tiny mountains in San Diego will help over the next few months.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dangerllama posted:

The kingdom 6 honestly just felt way too massive. While I like having a lot of space inside my tent, the Kingdom felt like overkill. Also camping here in Colorado, I kind of liked that the basecamp felt a bit more rain/wind/hail resistant.

Both seemed like great tents for the money. It just came down to personal preference.

I'm worried too about the resistance of the Kingdom. I will mostly being using it in the Smokies and surrounding Appalachian areas which has those late afternoon thunder storms. That said when I was camping in Moab last month the site beside us had a Kingdom. The family was from Oregon, and they said no problems so far during storms. I really like both tents, and I know I probably will be good with either tent. It is just when you are making a $400 decision you question everything.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Go big or go home:
http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/blue-label-tents/altai/

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for digging up old memories of trying to set up rigid pole tents in the rain as a kid. Not everyone was smart enough to label which poles went together ahead of time.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Verman posted:

Wow, that sucks. The view up there is incredible and that would be a pretty grueling hike with that much snow and no payoff.

I've seen a bunch of pics and it does indeed look awesome. I've bagged a lot of the peaks on the Mountain Loop though - Pugh, Forgotten, Del Campo, Gothic, Vesper, Silver Tip so I've gotten my fair share of vistas. Also, I totally recommend Pugh - if you thought Glacier Peak looked close from Dickerman, you feel like you could jump over to it from Pugh.

It was actually pretty cool up on Dickerman with it socked in. You had no sense of scale and staring into the grey was just weird - like there was no contrast. It was akin to being in a pitch black room where you keep blinking to try to get your eyes to focus on anything, but it was light out. Staring down into the abyss was a great way to induce vertigo!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Will I be fine with hiking shoes on Pike's Peak, or do I want boots

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Will I be fine with hiking shoes on Pike's Peak, or do I want boots

We have been up and back twice with hiking boots. But to be fair we got passed by people who were running the entire trail in running shoes, shorts, a singlet, and a single water bottle..

Pick any shoe you are comfortable in.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm going to be coming across from the UK to Atlanta for a wedding in November, then taking a week to travel around a bit. We were going to go head up to NC as my parents have a place in the Beech Mountain area, any good hikes on the way or around there that are worth checking out? I haven't been there since I was a kid.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Beech Mountain? I was conceived not far from there. My top nearby pick would be Appalachian Trail over the balds of Roan Mountain. You just drive up to Carvers Gap in Tennessee (it's like an hour drive from Beech cause you driving up curvy rear end mountain roads), and the trail crosses there. Head up the bald, and hike until you want to come back. Not super challenging (it can be depending on how far and which direction you go), but some of the best 360 degree views you can find.

Linville Falls on the Blueridge Parkway is one of my favorite east coast waterfalls. It is more like a crowded walk in the woods for a couple of miles. My advice would be take the left trail away from the crowds to the bottom of the falls.

For something more challenging maybe the Grandfather Trail (Grandfather Mountain). You have to use ladders and cables on way up plus great views.

I take it you are just looking for a side trip to get a taste of area. So nothing I recommend is super hard or long.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread III: I was conceived not far from there.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Had an epic time summiting Mt. Baker (10,781') this past weekend via the Easton Glacier route. Third highest volcano in Washington. Camped around 7000' and with an alpine start at 1:15am, we topped out at 4:45am just in time for a gorgeous sunrise. Climbed the whole way under a full moon to-boot. A bit harder than my climb of Mt. Adams, even though Baker is about 2000' lower. I think it was the combo of rope management and snaking our way through a bunch of open crevasses. Oh, also snagged Baker's secondary Sherman Peak (10, 160') while we were up there.

Have some pix:

Deming Glacier from near our camp - picture doesn't really show the ridiculous angle of that icefall

View from camp

Sunrise summit success

Sherman Peak above the crater, Glacier Peak can be seen in the distance in the saddle between Sherman and that spike of a rock

Check out this stinkin' hole (Sherman Crater) - Baker is still very much an active volcano

Baker's summit from the top of Sherman Peak. You can see the line of climbers heading up the Roman Wall on the far left.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 10, 2017

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Packing out cheese. Good idea. Not eating said cheese fast enough. Hello food poisoning. I suppose it was about time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It might seem wasteful but I toss any opened trail food that comes back from a trip. After a week of grubby hands pawing through it and warm temperatures, I don't mind tossing a little bit of remaining food in the trash.

The only muddy trails I want to remember are the ones I walked on.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I got to use my Eno onelink system. Not hiking or backpacking. It was hung between two deck supports at a lake house my friend was renting (seriously, no useful trees on the premises). Surprisingly comfortable, but it seems like it is missing pieces. The bug net is supposed to hang from a ridgeline, but there was no ridgeline to attach to (I didn't have all the usual stuff from my pack with me, so no extra cord to make a ridgeline). The posts were probably 2 feet too close together for it to hang right, so it had a lot of curvature and it was difficult to get positioned right.

I think in the future, upgrading to something with an integrated bug net would be something I find worthwhile. Their design was a bit of a pain to deal with. The rain fly was pretty easy and the straps worked, though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hammocks are supposed to be hung pretty slack. The trick is to lay diagonal in them, this flattens out the curve and it way more comfortable than laying straight in one with your spine bending all night.

This guy is maybe a tad on the slack side, but this shows the idea.
img]http://i.imgur.com/9rTy6GY.jpg[/img]

You can even sleep on your side in a hammock if its hung properly.

The ENO hammocks themselves are fine, but their bugnets, quilts, and tarps are kinda lovely. For the accessories you are better off looking at some of the boutique brands.

Both http://www.hammockgear.com/ and http://www.jacksrbetter.com/ make lots of great quilts and tarps.

I'm not convinced by any of the non integrated bug nets I ahve seen. They all just seem like a huge hassle. I've been thinking about one of these lately http://www.dream-hammock.com/Hammocks.html But I haven't read much into reviews.

This dudes youtube channel is full of hammock info, reviews, and customizations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I vary between side sleeping and back sleeping and curling up into a ball depending on how I feel in a hammock, and all that seems to work fine with a bit of slack and sleeping at an angle in the hammock (bringing a bunch of whiskey will help too :v: ).

Seconding Shug's videos, the guy has a bunch of useful tutorials and videos!

I have a tube of mosquito netting with a zipper on the side that slides over the whole set up. I use a fixed ridgeline on my hammock that the netting rests on. It's not much of a hassle to get in and out, but I feel like it is a bit heavier than it needs to be at about 320 grams. My friend recently sewed his own with some mesh stuff he got online. He said it was a pretty simple project and he had little to no experience before making it, so that's worth looking into if you enjoy that sort of thing!

Edit:
Regarding slack, I've read a few places saying that a ridgeline that's 83% of the hammock length is the "golden ratio". I tried that myself but found that to be a bit too saggy for my tasted and think I ended up with a fixed ridgeline that was a touch over 90% after some trial and error.

I used the same amsteel rope they make whoopie slings out of and made spliced loops on either end of the rope once I got the length dialed down, then looped that rope onto each of the continuous loops on either side of the hammock. Makes getting the sag right a lot easier when you have a fixed ridgeline.

(Wow that turned out to be a lot of words about hammocks, but hammocks own bonez so it's hard to contain my passion!)

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 11, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eSporks posted:

Hammocks are supposed to be hung pretty slack. The trick is to lay diagonal in them, this flattens out the curve and it way more comfortable than laying straight in one with your spine bending all night.

This guy is maybe a tad on the slack side, but this shows the idea.
img]http://i.imgur.com/9rTy6GY.jpg[/img]

You can even sleep on your side in a hammock if its hung properly.

The ENO hammocks themselves are fine, but their bugnets, quilts, and tarps are kinda lovely. For the accessories you are better off looking at some of the boutique brands.

Both http://www.hammockgear.com/ and http://www.jacksrbetter.com/ make lots of great quilts and tarps.

I'm not convinced by any of the non integrated bug nets I ahve seen. They all just seem like a huge hassle. I've been thinking about one of these lately http://www.dream-hammock.com/Hammocks.html But I haven't read much into reviews.

This dudes youtube channel is full of hammock info, reviews, and customizations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

This guy knows what's up!

The integrated bugnets are absolute dogshit though, if you're travelling anywhere remotely buggy. The other week I went kayak camping down in the swamp, and I was absolutely eaten alive wherever my skin was touching the bottom side fabric of my blackbird XLC. If you're concerned about bugs, something like Dutchware's bugnet is 100% the way to go. The bugs will poke right through the underside and go to town wherever they can if you don't have an underquilt or something underneath you.

It's not strictly backpacking, but it is camping, so here's some crossposted pics from the kayak thread:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Packing out cheese. Good idea. Not eating said cheese fast enough. Hello food poisoning. I suppose it was about time.
Not all cheese is created equal. Get a block of parmesan or romano. An aged Gouda can hold up well.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
maybe you just got poo poo on your cheese

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I know about the 30 degree rule, but I swear my Hennessy was more comfortable when it was hung much tighter. Maybe something to do with the integrated ridgeline?

I loved the bug net on mine. Never got bit once. The Kickass under quilt was like magic, I'm glad I didn't use a pad/emergency blanket like on the Hennessy website.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

This guy knows what's up!

The integrated bugnets are absolute dogshit though, if you're travelling anywhere remotely buggy. The other week I went kayak camping down in the swamp, and I was absolutely eaten alive wherever my skin was touching the bottom side fabric of my blackbird XLC. If you're concerned about bugs, something like Dutchware's bugnet is 100% the way to go. The bugs will poke right through the underside and go to town wherever they can if you don't have an underquilt or something underneath you.

It's not strictly backpacking, but it is camping, so here's some crossposted pics from the kayak thread:

[swamp pics]
Thanks for info on bugnets. I've seen someone try and use an eno and it just looked like a major hassle. Integrated looked good, but I see your points there. Bugs are the one thing making me think about switching to ground sleeping in a bivvy.

Great pics too, I have always thought that the southern swamps looks so beautiful, I would love to visit sometime.

I guess I'll crosspost from the MTB thread. Bikepacking is so much more fun thank hiking. So nice to have 0 weight on your shoulders.

eSporks posted:

First chance to take the 920 on the type of ride I bought it for. Took it on a short 5mi ride to over-nighter at a little Alpine lake called Dardanelles in the South Lake Tahoe region. I plan to do some longer rides, but this was just a last minute trip, and most of the places I want to go are still snowed in.

Most of the trail was ride-able, but there were some definite hike a bike sections, especially loaded up. Hiking a bike up is way easier than hiking with a heavy backpack though. Thankfully all the hike a bike sections were pretty short ~20-40ft, and later it smoothed a bit. The portion had some fun twisty single track, especially coming down.

A mile before the lake, the trail splits.

A big rear end sequoia tree.

Another big rear end sequoia and the lake.

Sunset. (looking east)

Sunrise.

Most of the trail is pretty wodded, but I did find this great view on the way down.

In the morning I felt like riding some more, so I drove over to semi-nearby corral trail. Its a one way downhill trail. The top section is full of rock gardens, and the bottoms section has a bunch of flowy berms and jumps. I left the camping gear in the car and started pedaling up to the top. I stayed away from the rock drops, but hit every jump. I definitely had to work for it, but taking the 920 down that trail was such a blast. This bike is amazing, and I am in love. I almost want to sell my hardtail now because I really don't see myself riding it anymore.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Alan_Shore posted:

I know about the 30 degree rule, but I swear my Hennessy was more comfortable when it was hung much tighter. Maybe something to do with the integrated ridgeline?

I loved the bug net on mine. Never got bit once. The Kickass under quilt was like magic, I'm glad I didn't use a pad/emergency blanket like on the Hennessy website.

To get the right hang I find I have to make it much tighter before I get in too. Like maybe 10-15 ish degrees to end up at 30 with weight? The ridgeline makes it easier to eyeball, but it's also super convenient to hang crap off of. Threw together a mesh bag that hangs above my head for my phone/kindle/stuff. I hang my headlamp off it too for late night reading.

I have a kickass underquilt I'm super happy with as well! They make some nice stuff at reasonable prices. I'm gonna make the transition to one of their topquilts soon, mummy sleeping bags are an absolute pain in the rear end to get into sometimes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Hennessy has a gear bag and it's indispensable! Also has a hook for a head torch. Hanging the phone over the ridgeline with elastic bands for TV at night is a serious advantage over tents.

I have an EE Revelation quilt, and it's the only way to go in a hammock. You get a lot of options based on temperature and it's very comfortable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm afraid I have to bring up a never ending debate again.

I recently bought a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptor trail runners. Thinking they'd be good all around shoes for hiking. They've got really good tread on them and they were great to hike in but I was hoping they would be quick drying and they dont really seem to be. Maybe its because my wool socks were a bit on the thick side but it seriously took a few hours for them to dry out while I was hiking in them. I've got a week long hike later this fall in Glacier thats going to involve a lot of stream crossings and I was hoping I could use these but I just dont think they'll dry out quickly enough.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for quick drying, durable, and aggressively treaded trail runners? Otherwise I think I'll just use my old leather danner boots and bring along some croc type water crossing shoes but I know I'll get sick of constantly switching between the two.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm afraid I have to bring up a never ending debate again.

I recently bought a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptor trail runners. Thinking they'd be good all around shoes for hiking. They've got really good tread on them and they were great to hike in but I was hoping they would be quick drying and they dont really seem to be. Maybe its because my wool socks were a bit on the thick side but it seriously took a few hours for them to dry out while I was hiking in them. I've got a week long hike later this fall in Glacier thats going to involve a lot of stream crossings and I was hoping I could use these but I just dont think they'll dry out quickly enough.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for quick drying, durable, and aggressively treaded trail runners? Otherwise I think I'll just use my old leather danner boots and bring along some croc type water crossing shoes but I know I'll get sick of constantly switching between the two.

I've never had trail runners actually fully dry out. They'll drain water eventually, but if you're in a wet, humid, forested, or muddy area, they'll never do better than that. My latest iteration of new balance leadvilles are great for hiking, and I've been taking them backpacking since my Lowa Banffs are getting resoled in Germany, but without direct sun, they'll stay kinda wet throughout the trip, and because of condensation, they never actually dry out overnight. It's not too bad when paired with some darn toughs, but my feet aren't as dry and happy as they were with my leather boots.

To each their own... I like both, especially since I've gotten my pack weight under twenty pounds with the Zblast Arc Haul backpack, but I think there's a lot of situations and places where you'll never quite get trail runners to dry out, especially when hiking east of the Mississippi.

E: For camp shoes, I really love my Xero sandals that I recently picked up. Crazy light, they feel great hiking (you can feel everything beneath you like being barefoot), and they're awesome for letting your feet dry out when you get to camp, especially if you've got wet socks and trail runners.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 12, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

forkbucket posted:

To get the right hang I find I have to make it much tighter before I get in too. Like maybe 10-15 ish degrees to end up at 30 with weight?
This depends largely on your suspension. Stay away fro nylon because it will stretch.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
wool socks and trail runners don't dry out *that* great since the socks hold a lot of moisture. You can take the socks off, go barefoot across the stream, then kinda wring out/shake out the shoes and put them back on with socks and it's a bit better but the socks still absorb the water and hold it

that said I've never really had an issue with it while hiking in the western mountains. They dry out well enough that my feet aren't pickling inside them or something and I just take everything off at lunch or at camp and let it dry out

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My Saucony Peregrines dry out pretty good and the tread is top notch.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've never had trail runners actually fully dry out. They'll drain water eventually, but if you're in a wet, humid, forested, or muddy area, they'll never do better than that. My latest iteration of new balance leadvilles are great for hiking, and I've been taking them backpacking since my Lowa Banffs are getting resoled in Germany, but without direct sun, they'll stay kinda wet throughout the trip, and because of condensation, they never actually dry out overnight. It's not too bad when paired with some darn toughs, but my feet aren't as dry and happy as they were with my leather boots.

To each their own... I like both, especially since I've gotten my pack weight under twenty pounds with the Zblast Arc Haul backpack, but I think there's a lot of situations and places where you'll never quite get trail runners to dry out, especially when hiking east of the Mississippi.

E: For camp shoes, I really love my Xero sandals that I recently picked up. Crazy light, they feel great hiking (you can feel everything beneath you like being barefoot), and they're awesome for letting your feet dry out when you get to camp, especially if you've got wet socks and trail runners.

I had another pair of La Sportiva's that were excellent and dried out super fast but that was in Zion where water crossing werent anywhere near as constant as my next trip will be. I'll try switching up the socks and see if that helps. Thanks for the sandal recommendation as well, I need a good pair of camp/water crossing shoes so I'll give those Xeros a look.

Levitate posted:

wool socks and trail runners don't dry out *that* great since the socks hold a lot of moisture. You can take the socks off, go barefoot across the stream, then kinda wring out/shake out the shoes and put them back on with socks and it's a bit better but the socks still absorb the water and hold it

that said I've never really had an issue with it while hiking in the western mountains. They dry out well enough that my feet aren't pickling inside them or something and I just take everything off at lunch or at camp and let it dry out

Maybe that will be my next move. Normally I dont worry about a single steam crossing that much but my next trip will have several a day and I'm worried about getting trench foot from hiking soaking wet all day.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I had another pair of La Sportiva's that were excellent and dried out super fast but that was in Zion where water crossing werent anywhere near as constant as my next trip will be. I'll try switching up the socks and see if that helps. Thanks for the sandal recommendation as well, I need a good pair of camp/water crossing shoes so I'll give those Xeros a look.

Maybe that will be my next move. Normally I dont worry about a single steam crossing that much but my next trip will have several a day and I'm worried about getting trench foot from hiking soaking wet all day.

I bought a pair of Crocs for both camp shoes and stream crossings. It slows you down, but I don't like wet feet.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

George H.W. oval office posted:

My Saucony Peregrines dry out pretty good and the tread is top notch.

I love mine. Tread is top notch. I use them for jogging and easy trails, but anything else and the leather boot is King*. I just like being able to charge through mud, low streams, wet grass, etc etc etc and not have my foot soaked. Sure it might get a bit sweaty. Wear wool socks and is nbd.

*Depending largely on climate imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Cross post but
I hiked Pike's Peak with my sister on Monday. My longest hike. And my first 14k. It took us 6 hours and 17 minutes to summit. I am very proud. I was not acclimated and did it with 2 hours of sleep.. We met family at the top who biked out their in memorial for my uncle who passed from cancer last year. We dumped his ashes over the side of the summit. :rip:

We just hiked up and got a ride down. Did not do the incline. Started at 4:10 finished at 10:27. The last 1.5 miles took close to 2.5 hours