Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
the failing new york times are cutting their copy desk in half so it's gonna be even shittier now lol

read all about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a different sort of austerity, where you fire all of your actual reporters to hire more assholes nobody likes or asked for to write on your op-ed page

(the nyt is bad)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
love to read bret stephens

love to read maureen downs

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nyt has made some real loving dumb choices lately

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

uh how do you kill something that doesnt exist

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
bring back the good old days of the times imo

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gotta pay bret stephens salary somehow

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
they need the money to pay right wing shitheads for their bad opinions

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
now lemme tell you how this is the fault of millennials

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
American media is bad and they'll line up with republicans in a heart beat to poo poo on leftist movements

so good, im glad the nyt is failing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im still loving furious about them going to color........ the gray lady has become the PAINTED WHORE!!!!!!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
when your a genius

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
when somebody opposes a war

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
when it's time too get serious about the deficit

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
so true...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
when you see a single mother

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbRLT9t2qT8

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

consumed by normies posted:

uh how do you kill something that doesnt exist

"journalismism"

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
As much as the feuding members of the United Nations Security Council might like Hans Blix and Mohamed ElBaradei to settle the question of war or peace with Iraq, these two mild-mannered civil servants can't make that fateful judgment. All they can do, which they did again yesterday, is to tell the Council how their inspection efforts are faring. So-so was the answer. It's up to the Council members -- especially the veto-wielding quintet of the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China -- to decide whether Iraq is disarming.

In our judgment, Iraq is not. The only way short of war to get Saddam Hussein to reverse course at this late hour is to make clear that the Security Council is united in its determination to disarm him and is now ready to call in the cavalry to get the job done. America and Britain are prepared to take that step. The time has come for the others to quit pretending that inspections alone are the solution.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFELNIpeTjY

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

a different sort of austerity, where you fire all of your actual reporters to hire more assholes nobody likes or asked for to write on your op-ed page
that's what espn did in their latest round of layoffs, and what every single journalism outlet has been doing for years, even decades

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the dril tweet but for the op-ed desk

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

that's what espn did in their latest round of layoffs, and what every single journalism outlet has been doing for years, even decades

it's extra cool that in the pursuit of capital news has transitioned from being Actual News into TV rear end in a top hat News Commentary

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

first they came for the Tribune, but I said nothing, because lol tronc

then they came for the Times, but I said nothing, because lol fake news

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

(the nyt is bad)

It is austerity logic and it's gonna have the same result.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/880531686831804416

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I thought the age of trump was supposed to usher in new-found interest in Not Fake news?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
As it turns out he's ushered in a new era of insanely stupid conspiracy theories about Russia and hot takes about decorum

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

get that OUT of my face posted:

who needs to have a budget for the regular old news when you can exploit desperate young people to write for pennies/exposure and then staff a nice expensive op-ed department for the lovely pieces that are the only real part of your "brand"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lancemantis posted:

who needs to have a budget for the regular old news when you can exploit desperate young people to write for pennies/exposure and then staff a nice expensive op-ed department for the lovely pieces that are the only real part of your "brand"

Its a great model because they will never run out of twenty-somethings who think they have important ideas and correct takes that absolutely must be shared with the world at any cost

(:ironicat:)

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

*gets hosed up on edibles*

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

come on now, maureen dowd is far more than just the op-ed columnist who ate too many edibles and freaked out. she's also good for political fanfiction

LinYutang posted:

I thought the age of trump was supposed to usher in new-found interest in Not Fake news?
i've heard many things that trump was supposed to usher in, but this was never one of them

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Not a Step posted:

Its a great model because they will never run out of twenty-somethings who think they have important ideas and correct takes that absolutely must be shared with the world at any cost

(:ironicat:)

I was once one of those twenty-somethings :smith:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

I was once one of those twenty-somethings :smith:

Congrats on reaching 30

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the NYT has always been a lovely purveyor of fake news and this isn't a recent phenomenon
https://williamblum.org/chapters/killing-hope/introduction

quote:

By the end of 1919, when the defeat of the Allies and the White Army appeared likely, the New York Times treated its readers to headlines and stories such as the following:

30 Dec. 1919: “Reds Seek War With America”
9 Jan. 1920: “‘Official quarters’ describe the Bolshevist menace in the Middle East as ominous”
11 Jan. 1920: “Allied officials and diplomats [envisage] a possible invasion of Europe”
13 Jan. 1920: “Allied diplomatic circles” fear an invasion of Persia
16 Jan. 1920: A page-one headline, eight columns wide:

*"Britain Facing War With Reds, Calls Council In Paris."*

"Well-informed diplomats" expect both a military invasion of Europe and a Soviet advance into Eastern and Southern Asia.

The following morning, however, we could read:

*"No War With Russia, Allies To Trade With Her"*
7 Feb. 1920: “Reds Raising Army To Attack India”

11 Feb. 1920: “Fear That Bolsheviki Will Now Invade Japanese Territory”

Readers of the New York Times were asked to believe that all these invasions were to come from a nation that was shattered as few nations in history have been; a nation still recovering from a horrendous world war; in extreme chaos from a fundamental social revolution that was barely off the ground; engaged in a brutal civil war against forces backed by the major powers of the world; its industries, never advanced to begin with, in a shambles; and the country in the throes of a famine that was to leave many millions dead before it subsided.

In 1920, The New Republic magazine presented a lengthy analysis of the news coverage by the New York Times of the Russian Revolution and the intervention. Amongst much else, it observed that in the two years following the November 1917 revolution, the Times had stated no less than 91 times that “the Soviets were nearing their rope’s end or actually had reached it.”

just search through the book Killing Hope for New York Times for many egregious examples

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Satire

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Donkwich posted:

*gets hosed up on edibles*

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
How much do all of their op ed contributors get paid