Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

High Sierra Public Beta is now available, for those interested.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Part of me wants to play around with APFS... but the rational part of me knows this is a bad idea. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: NVM. gently caress it, I'm working around this problem by buying the bigger iCloud plan and then cancelling it an hour later.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

evelyn87 posted:

Life long Windows user. Just received a 2017 13" MBP no-touchbar with entry level specs and 256gb drive. My eyes have been opened. Going into this with zero expectations except for realizing I'm now a poor - everything has just worked, is intuitive, and I'm glad I made the "leap".

I'll never get away from Windows in the professional setting, what do you IT sysadmin types do if you use MacOS for on-call and remote support? So far I've got the macOS vpn client working for our brand of firewall - and I've got the Microsoft RDP app. What else could I be overlooking? Any other apps or management tools I can use instead of bouncing into my Windows workstation at work to solve issues? I know this is a broad question, just wondering if I'm overlooking anything really remedial.

The biggest thing MacOS lacks in an IT setting is Visio. There is no fully compatible alternative. Everything else has a Mac option that's just as good if not better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Krispy Kareem posted:

The biggest thing MacOS lacks in an IT setting is Visio. There is no fully compatible alternative. Everything else has a Mac option that's just as good if not better.

This is a legit question, not an rear end in a top hat response. Is there some SQL Server Management Studio app for Mac?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

OmniGraffle Professional.

I will set fire to things if I get forced to go back to Visio.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Lucidchart is pretty good. I actually prefer it to Visio these days.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GutBomb posted:

This is a legit question, not an rear end in a top hat response. Is there some SQL Server Management Studio app for Mac?

I think people use Navicat.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Yossarko posted:

I was in an Apple Store and saw this image on a Macbook Pro poster / ad.

Does anybody know where I can find this as a wallpaper?

This is a great wallpaper. Did you ever find it?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

clamiam45 posted:

This is a great wallpaper. Did you ever find it?

I cropped and skewed the pic in Photoshop to see if reverse image search could do anything for you, but if you look at the pic closely there's a toolbar of some creative software open. So it's likely not a wallpaper but something they made for the ad, to show what you can use the laptop for.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

SQLPro for MSSQL is a thing, but IMO it is in no way comparable to Microsoft's SSMS. The basic 'using a SQL Server' functionality is there, a lot of the administrative stuff isn't. Running SSMS in a light Windows VM is no biggie though.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 3, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

OmniGraffle Professional.

I will set fire to things if I get forced to go back to Visio.

It's better, but not completely compatible though.

Maybe it's improved. I had an older copy that did a lovely job of opening Visio files and reviews for the newer versions said that was still an issue.

I really want the iPad version, but it's a tough $100 to spend only to find out it isn't compatible enough for my needs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's better, but not completely compatible though.

Maybe it's improved. I had an older copy that did a lovely job of opening Visio files and reviews for the newer versions said that was still an issue.

I really want the iPad version, but it's a tough $100 to spend only to find out it isn't compatible enough for my needs.

You need to talk work into buying it for you :eng101:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

I Am Crake posted:

I cropped and skewed the pic in Photoshop to see if reverse image search could do anything for you, but if you look at the pic closely there's a toolbar of some creative software open. So it's likely not a wallpaper but something they made for the ad, to show what you can use the laptop for.

Ah yeah, that's the likely situation. Thanks for giving it a try though.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

clamiam45 posted:

Ah yeah, that's the likely situation. Thanks for giving it a try though.

Have you heard of interfacelift.com? It has really great high-resolution wallpapers that feel as professional as the ones that come with MacOS.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

I use draw.io, which is free and great if you just need to make a diagram or two. I'm sure it's totally insufficient if you're a Visio power user or anything.

I Am Crake posted:

Have you heard of interfacelift.com? It has really great high-resolution wallpapers that feel as professional as the ones that come with MacOS.
Somebody also made a downloader script that lets you easily snag all the juicy Retina-quality images.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Little Snitch 4 is fully released now
It's pretty good

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

TACD posted:

Somebody also made a downloader script that lets you easily snag all the juicy Retina-quality images.

I just subscribe to InterfaceLift by RSS and save the good ones, since there are a lot of "I Just Got a DSLR" type pics uploaded there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

It's pretty good

https://obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

evelyn87 posted:

Life long Windows user. Just received a 2017 13" MBP no-touchbar with entry level specs and 256gb drive. My eyes have been opened. Going into this with zero expectations except for realizing I'm now a poor - everything has just worked, is intuitive, and I'm glad I made the "leap".

I'll never get away from Windows in the professional setting, what do you IT sysadmin types do if you use MacOS for on-call and remote support? So far I've got the macOS vpn client working for our brand of firewall - and I've got the Microsoft RDP app. What else could I be overlooking? Any other apps or management tools I can use instead of bouncing into my Windows workstation at work to solve issues? I know this is a broad question, just wondering if I'm overlooking anything really remedial.

When I procured a RoyalTS site license at work I had them buy the Windows + Mac license. RoyalTS is really good on Mac. Between that and Terminal I'm solid. My Windows workstation is basically just an Office / web / remote client anyways so it's a lot of getting to jump boxes to do work regardless.

Mac Office is great with the one glaring omission of Visio. OmniGraffle is awesome but that's another thing to have someone buy you. (I just published Visio on a Citrix server I had sitting around to get around that.) I also have Powershell installed on my Mac like a heathen.

The one thing I haven't found a good enough replacement for is Notepad++. Sublime Text is close though.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The one thing I haven't found a good enough replacement for is Notepad++. Sublime Text is close though.

I've been pretty happy with BBEdit for the things I used Notepad++ for.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

$25 for the correct domain names in connection alerts was worth it.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Figured I'd ask here just in case any of you have seen this error before. I'm not expecting much since internet research into the question yields a zillion dead end discussions.apple.com threads:

I get this message every few months for the last year or two on my rMBP, at which point my only option seems to be a full new backup (which is a giant pain with ~300 GB over WiFi), and it blows up all the previous backups, so I've basically written off ever using the historical backup features of Time Machine anymore since those are lost on each new full backup. On top of that I'm exposed to the potential for catastrophic failure until the giant new backup is completed. Luckily have not been burned yet.

This is all using a Time Capsule as the backup drive, so not some funky unsupported NAS situation, 1st party hardware on both ends. Apple's documentation says that the Time Capsule runs a file system check on every bootup, and I've never had it explicitly tell me that it thought the drive was failing or anything like that (I'm not sure how it would?)

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 6, 2017

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That isn't limited specifically to Time Capsules. The current file system for OS X, HFS+, has several well documented problems that Time Machine exacerbates. This is why Apple is working on Apple File System in the High Sierra beta. I haven't heard anything in regards to AFS on Time Capsules however.

This is reminder that while one backup system is good, the best backup plan involves multiple solutions independent of each other.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

wolffenstein posted:

That isn't limited specifically to Time Capsules. The current file system for OS X, HFS+, has several well documented problems that Time Machine exacerbates. This is why Apple is working on Apple File System in the High Sierra beta. I haven't heard anything in regards to AFS on Time Capsules however.

This is reminder that while one backup system is good, the best backup plan involves multiple solutions independent of each other.

Cool, yeah I'm super interested to see if the new file system resolves this without my needing to buy a new Time Capsule.

Point heard about proper backup, for the most part my really important poo poo (which for me is tiny in size, I don't really have a lot of critical photos/video) has other backup venues, if I lose this time capsule its mostly going to be stuff I won't die over, like a collection of mp3s dating to the Napster era, or random save games/funny gifs I grabbed from the forum.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

TM creates a sparse-bundle disk image on a network share and then stores things in it using HFS+. I would think the new TM uses AFS in the sparse-bundle disk image and has the ability to read both AFS and HFS+ images to be able to convert/import old images.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's also https://draw.io/ if it doesn't to be a complex diagram. Or a VM with Windows running Visio of course.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I followed the steps to install Netatalk and afp on my Linux server, and I can see my fake Time Capsule from TM config...

...but it keeps prompting for password and getting in a weird loop. After I put the credentials in it's connected and visible in Finder.

Anyone get Time Machine backup working to a Linux machine or Linux-based NAS?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I followed the steps to install Netatalk and afp on my Linux server, and I can see my fake Time Capsule from TM config...

...but it keeps prompting for password and getting in a weird loop. After I put the credentials in it's connected and visible in Finder.

Anyone get Time Machine backup working to a Linux machine or Linux-based NAS?

Use SMB instead. I've never gotten AFP to work reliably on Network shares.

I have a Linux based NAS (MyCloud EX 2) with SMB and have been using TM for well over year with very little issue. At least from a Network perspective. The other issue described yesterday with TM eating itself and needing to start a whole new backup image from scratch is inescapable regardless of the target drive/share.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh, how long as Time Machine supported SMB? It used to be AFP only. Neat.

Also, that backup integrity problem usually happens on network drives in my experience. I back up to two drives, one connected to an Airport Extreme (R.I.P.), and one directly connected to the iMac via USB 3. The Airport drive has had to redo itself at least once, but the USB drive has been backing up with no issues for ages.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 6, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

It's pretty good
Is it free with the current license? I tried to update 3.7.4 within the app and it tells me I'm up to date.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

Is it free with the current license? I tried to update 3.7.4 within the app and it tells me I'm up to date.

No, you need to buy the upgrade (at the upgrade price)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you use Micro Snitch? Seems a bit :tinfoil: overkill but that Snowden movie freaked me out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there an open source clone of little snitch?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

No, you need to buy the upgrade (at the upgrade price)

Unless you bought recently. They were selling 4 licenses for a while but they worked on 3.

(But even still you need to DL the 4 installer off the site)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an open source clone of little snitch?
I think this is it http://www.hanynet.com/pflists/index.html

The rest of the projects I looked up went pay since Yosemite.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

Unless you bought recently. They were selling 4 licenses for a while but they worked on 3.

(But even still you need to DL the 4 installer off the site)

right, if your key starts with '34....' you're good

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Huh, how long as Time Machine supported SMB? It used to be AFP only. Neat.

Also, that backup integrity problem usually happens on network drives in my experience. I back up to two drives, one connected to an Airport Extreme (R.I.P.), and one directly connected to the iMac via USB 3. The Airport drive has had to redo itself at least once, but the USB drive has been backing up with no issues for ages.

Not sure how long, but the the latest KB article (updated for Sierra) specifically calls it out for NAS. I know I've been using my NAS this way since at least Mavericks. Prior to that I had a Time Machine.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25585?locale=en_US

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
I'm trying to sync up my new Mac to send and receive iMessages and sms. I've followed all these steps but when I try messaging my girlfriend I get the "your message couldn't be sent [number] is not registered with iMessage" error. Any ideas?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shikantaza posted:

I'm trying to sync up my new Mac to send and receive iMessages and sms. I've followed all these steps but when I try messaging my girlfriend I get the "your message couldn't be sent [number] is not registered with iMessage" error. Any ideas?

Try logging out of iCloud on every device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know if you can change the default handler for the rules in LS4? Remember forever is a bit too much for me, and I'll probably just end up doing it to dismiss something by accident.